test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

You guys are purposefully being quiet about the new class and paragon paths because.

Comments

• wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And no other company has done this before?

Few other companies except Nexon show the pure contempt for customers and sheer blatant greed that PWE does.
  • cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/358...ined-full-game

The microtransaction-based title will include items such as armor and weapons that the player can purchase for real-world money; However, in-game content such as missions and maps will "absolutely not" be based around a system of microtransactions, says Velasquez.

"You'll be able to access all of the classes without having to pay anything, and we will not be selling powers. It's not like you can just go to the store and buy a level 30 sword as a level 10 character. So we haven't talked too much in terms of the details yet but that's our high level approach," said Velasquez.

I'm guessing that (Free Access to All the Classes) has since been changed, or could very well mean "The Classes they Launched the game with".

Well, they would be still be correct purely by technicality: these are races they are selling, not classes. Doesn't make it any less scummy, though.

Maybe there's a reason they keep pushing more races while keeping mum on new classes...
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Seems like everyone is confusing race and class.
    edited July 2013
    fathomful wrote: »
    Seems like everyone is confusing race and class.

No, No. we're just amused by how much PWE manipulates letter of the word to shovel as much cash shop expenses as they can on willing rubes.
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    Well, they would be still be correct purely by technicality: these are races they are selling, not classes. Doesn't make it any less scummy, though.

This is true, it wasn't pertaining to races, just something for players to read and understand things do change. I'm sure a lot has changed since this article was written.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    No, No. we're just amused by how much PWE manipulates letter of the word to shovel as much cash shop expenses as they can on willing rubes.

If they are willing and fools enough to part with their money then why not? Its not like this kind of practice is new to the business world.
    edited July 2013
    If they are willing and fools enough to part with their money then why not? Its not like this kind of practice is new to the business world.

Because the reason businesses get more cavalier about it every year is because every time they push the boundaries of business ethics, idiots shrug and do nothing about it.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Because the reason businesses get more cavalier about it every year is because every time they push the boundaries of business ethics, idiots shrug and do nothing about it.

And the change of Business Ethics wont be brought about by a bunch of nerds playing a Dungeons and Dragons MMO. I am one of these nerds myself, dont get me wrong I dont use it as a negative.
    edited July 2013
    And the change of Business Ethics wont be brought about by a bunch of nerds playing a Dungeons and Dragons MMO. I am one of these nerds myself, dont get me wrong I dont use it as a negative.

maybe. But pretty much condoning it doesnt help matters
    edited July 2013
    maybe. But pretty much condoning it doesnt help matters

Im not sure if its condoning or apathetically accepting of it. They can try to advertise whatever they want to me, because what it comes down to is cosmetics and convenience items and I wont buy either of those.
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Free enterprise. Everyone has a vote. My votes are made of paper, green and in the shape of a rectangle. they typically have pictures of past great leaders on the front.

When i enjoy something and want it i use these votes to declare my support. When i dont, i dont.

Corporations typically use the number of votes cast as an indicator in what they should do next.

Cast your vote, hold back your vote, or cast your vote for another company! Be heard!
  • mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I lol'ed..
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/358...ined-full-game

The microtransaction-based title will include items such as armor and weapons that the player can purchase for real-world money; However, in-game content such as missions and maps will "absolutely not" be based around a system of microtransactions, says Velasquez.

"You'll be able to access all of the classes without having to pay anything, and we will not be selling powers. It's not like you can just go to the store and buy a level 30 sword as a level 10 character. So we haven't talked too much in terms of the details yet but that's our high level approach," said Velasquez.

I'm guessing that (Free Access to All the Classes) has since been changed, or could very well mean "The Classes they Launched the game with".

I'm guessing you are right with that last sentence. Also, this article:

http://www.mmoreviews.com/exclusive-interview-with-the-developers-about-the-upcoming-action-mmorpg-neverwinter/

Also, from that interview, these quotes:
    On the subject of races, just how many do you plan on launching with? There are quite a few in D&D and Forgotten Realms. Will we perhaps see beings like the Dragonborn, or Genasi?
    Eight races at launch. We want to keep adding them post launch of course.

As I recall, the game launched with human, elf, half-elf, orc, dwarf and teifling. That's six, not eight.
    Will the Races/Classes be restricted to a Cashshop format like in D&D Online?
    Not talking specifics about monetization, there may be some unique prestige level races in the cash-shop, but we won’t be gating content through money.

"Unique prestige level races". Moon elves? Really? Last time I checked, races and classes were content.

Now, I'm not against Craptic trying to make a buck. After all, it's what being a business is all about. What I -AM- against is the half-truths and obfuscations being tossed our way.

All I want to say is this:

DO NOT LIE TO US ABOUT IT.

Honestly, I believe with every fibre of my being that Craptic would generate a lot more respect from its fans if they just said what they meant and followed through with that, instead of changing up barely two months into launch. The current trend I'm experiencing from the company does not lend me to want to trust them overmuch, nor patronize their products. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited July 2013
    fathomful wrote: »
    Free enterprise. Everyone has a vote. My votes are made of paper, green and in the shape of a rectangle. they typically have pictures of past great leaders on the front.

When i enjoy something and want it i use these votes to declare my support. When i dont, i dont.

Corporations typically use the number of votes cast as an indicator in what they should do next.

Cast your vote, hold back your vote, or cast your vote for another company! Be heard!

No, usually the only thing that works is sheer bad PR compared with low sales.
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    As I recall, the game launched with human, elf, half-elf, orc, dwarf and teifling. That's six, not eight.

People always overlook the halflings...
    edited July 2013

Human, Elf, Half-elf, Half-Orc, Dwarf, Tiefling, Halfling, and if you bought the HOTN Drow. The game did release with 8 races, 7 if you didnt buy the HOTN.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Human, Elf, Half-elf, Half-Orc, Dwarf, Tiefling, Halfling, and if you bought the HOTN Drow. The game did release with 8 classes, 7 if you didnt buy the HOTN.

So, contrary to everything that was said in interviews and by volunteer mods.....there was indeed content gated through cash purchases only, and right from day one. Point proven, in my viewpoint.

I admit to overlooking halflings...but hey. They're short. >_>

Also...the game did not launch with eight classes. Nor races.

edited July 2013
    So, contrary to everything that was said in interviews and by volunteer mods.....there was indeed content gated through cash purchases only, and right from day one. Point proven, in my viewpoint.

I admit to overlooking halflings...but hey. They're short. >_>

Also...the game did not launch with eight classes. Nor races.

I guess if you consider a race to being core content. To me I consider quests and dungeons to be more important content then if I can play a dark skinned elf. Either way, yes the game did launch with 8 races even if you dont want to accept it.
    edited July 2013
    I guess if you consider a race to being core content. To me I consider quests and dungeons to be more important content then if I can play a dark skinned elf. Either way, yes the game did launch with 8 races even if you dont want to accept it.

considering quests and dungeons are both terrible outside the Foundry, that doesnt really change much.
    edited July 2013
    considering quests and dungeons are both terrible outside the Foundry, that doesnt really change much.

True I do have more fun with Foundry quests then anything else, and hey the entire Foundry is free too.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Plus Renegade/Drow. That is eight.

In the context of MMOs, content generally refers to maps, quests, instances: what you encounter with your character as you play the game. I'm guessing that is what was meant by that statement: they aren't making you pay to be able to play all the content like LOTRO and DDO for example.
    (Actually, with enough weaselling, you could argue that some content does technically need to be paid to experience: the 3 racial quests specific to a race requiring purchase if that is the only way to play it.)

There seems to be a lot of consternation at the idea of them requiring you to pay to access classes. Does anyone actually have a link to where they state this?
    edited July 2013
    I consider core content to be what the game launches with. This includes classes and races, and it merely proves my point from much earlier postings about this very subject.

Core content is what is defined by Craptic, and not the customers. So, in -essence-, they have not lied to us, nor misrepresented themselves at all.

In reality, this is exactly what has occurred. Complete reversal in what was promised in numerous interviews has become par for the course here..and I'm holding them accountable. Fat lot of good that it'll do me, I know.

The game did not launch with dark elves as a playable race. Right now, go into the game, and see if you can make a Drow. If you didn't shell out two hundred bucks, you won't be able to. This is cash gated content, and the very thing multiple interviews said wasn't going to happen, and it's getting ready to happen AGAIN. And nobody( well, a vast majority) doesn't seem to realize this. Unless I'm totally mistaken and nobody actually CARES that a company is practicing the most dubious of ethics and lying to its customer base to obtain profits.

edited July 2013
    edited July 2013
    I consider core content to be what the game launches with. This includes classes and races, and it merely proves my point from much earlier postings about this very subject.

Core content is what is defined by Craptic, and not the customers. So, in -essence-, they have not lied to us, nor misrepresented themselves at all.

In reality, this is exactly what has occurred. Complete reversal in what was promised in numerous interviews has become par for the course here..and I'm holding them accountable. Fat lot of good that it'll do me, I know.

The game did not launch with dark elves as a playable race. Right now, go into the game, and see if you can make a Drow. If you didn't shell out two hundred bucks, you won't be able to. This is cash gated content, and the very thing multiple interviews said wasn't going to happen, and it's getting ready to happen AGAIN. And nobody( well, a vast majority) doesn't seem to realize this. Unless I'm totally mistaken and nobody actually CARES that a company is practicing the most dubious of ethics and lying to its customer base to obtain profits.

Just because it is cash gated doesnt mean it isnt there. I can log into the game and see plenty of drow running around.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Also, aren't Drow becoming free to all soon? I'd assume the new exclusive elves will be released as free for all at some point in the future as well, (or maybe as an unlock for completing the entirety of the new module).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    Thank you, but I couldn't see anything in any of those where the devs state that you will have to pay for access to classes.

That, I cannot help you with. At this point, I'm going to walk away.

• khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    That, I cannot help you with. At this point, I'm going to walk away.
    So, what were those links you posted? Did you just insert the wrong quote in your post? Perfectly understandable if so.
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Also, aren't Drow becoming free to all soon? I'd assume the new exclusive elves will be released as free for all at some point in the future as well, (or maybe as an unlock for completing the entirety of the new module).

who knows.

knowing cryptic they'll kick it down the line as long as possible.