What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role

Comments

• Options
    khalibuskhalibus Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2013
    Ioun sucks, you can get cap armpen with stone only, if you use rank 8+ dark enc.

That is so far from good advice it's not even funny. The reality is its pretty easy to soft cap your important stats so you should really focus on doing that instead of maximizing one or two. Ion Stone nets more total stats - though the difference is negligible.

The truth is, you MIGHT make slightly different gear choices but the difference between the two is so small it doesn't matter. There is, however a large price difference and that does matter. Not to mention getting an icon with great stats and an offensive slot is a lot cheaper than getting a blue belt with almost as many useful stats and an offensive slot.

Stone - 30% cheaper, more total useful stats (barely), can't die. Pretty clear choice to me.
  • Options
    maxibestmaxibest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited July 2013
    Stone is really good, and i like it more than the cat, and more than a belt for sure.

Again, props to this guide and its creator, ive been running a ton of GG T1 and T2 and i havent been outdps'ed by any other mage a single time, some of them with amazing gear, like full shadow weaver with rank 7 enchants plus weapon enchant and cat.

Im full high vizier without enchants other than main and offhand, or companion.

This build is just that good.
  • Options
    griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited July 2013
    charvild wrote: »
    The following heroic feats Learned Spellcaster and Prestidigitation does enhance your GS.

That's weird, because I took Learned Spellcaster for Thaum, but never took it for Renegade. So losing 320+ gear score after re-speccing to Thaum is puzzling.
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    @ copticone

Ive tried using CoI on boss fight (Karrun) with icy terrain, but it seems Its not as effective as putting EF on tab or maybe Im just doing it wrong? what rotation do you use for that?
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    schulz87 wrote: »
    @ copticone

Ive tried using CoI on boss fight (Karrun) with icy terrain, but it seems Its not as effective as putting EF on tab or maybe Im just doing it wrong? what rotation do you use for that?

You stand on top of the boss. CoI the dragon -> Icy Terrain -> Shield Pulse -> as the adds rush back in Steal Time. Daily is Ice Storm. You need to get into a rhythm of Pushing(shield pulse or Ice Storm), freezing, Pushing, stunning, etc...
    I do get hit, but I think this is where my 12% lifesteal comes in handy. I teleport only to get away from any stacking reds, but I get right back in and continue the rotation, always weaving in Chilling cloud.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    You stand on top of the boss. CoI the dragon -> Icy Terrain -> Shield Pulse -> as the adds rush back in Steal Time. Daily is Ice Storm. You need to get into a rhythm of Pushing(shield pulse or Ice Storm), freezing, Pushing, stunning, etc...
    I do get hit, but I think this is where my 12% lifesteal comes in handy. I teleport only to get away from any stacking reds, but I get right back in and continue the rotation, always weaving in Chilling cloud.

Thanks man, Ill try that one out, I was using AS, COI Icy Terrain on mobs etc, how come you dont prefer using AS? and why use Ice Storm instead? We nearly got wiped even with 2 clerics, but on the 2nd run I did use EF and was smoother I guess
  • Options
    velsparwisen1velsparwisen1 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the idea of Ice Storm as well but I read that it has a target cap of just 7?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    schulz87 wrote: »
    Thanks man, Ill try that one out, I was using AS, COI Icy Terrain on mobs etc, how come you dont prefer using AS? and why use Ice Storm instead? We nearly got wiped even with 2 clerics, but on the 2nd run I did use EF and was smoother I guess

I dont use AS in this fight because the focus is to burn down the Dragon as fast as possible. So Ice Storm will relieve pressure from around the Dragon while hitting it at the same time for 10k+. It buys me enough time to follow up with Steal Time, which again hits to Dragon, debuffing it, etc...Not to mention that using Ice Storm gives me a nice 5-8k heal. The point is to do as much dps on the dragon while shoving/stunning/freezing (and even killing) some of the adds out of the way, until the dragon flies off.
    Once that happens, feel free to use AS to gather all the mobs so that party can melt them quickly, but not while the boss is up.
    I like the idea of Ice Storm as well but I read that it has a target cap of just 7?

It does have a cap, but so does AS (I think 10, not sure). But spamming this rotation generates alot of AP, then it becomes available quite a few times in each phase.
    Also, Ice Storm knocks them very far away, outside of anyone's range. If you use AS right on top of the group, or even a little to the side, the mobs can still cleave and hit party members as they are being sucked in the AS.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    AS has a cap of 20 targets.
    And, I think simple zerg dragon ignoring adds after patch is better for killing Karrundax than trying to control adds: they despawn shortly after dragon flew away. Dragon has a very low HP pool now. So for this fight I take CoI, Chill Strike, tabbed IR or RoE and shield.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    ok thanks for the tip, havnt tried other dungeons yet since patch, just got back from vacation, will post if I needed some help :p but I really enjoyed the COI on tab and icy terrain, makes everything frozen all the time on thrash mobs, really a big help
  • Options
    cptripscptrips Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I just hit 60 a couple of days ago and have started to do some dungeons. I purchased full gladiator gear and some random purples to fill in some excess slots. Sidenote, Ancient Necromancers ring or some such is only 10k AD and that is because it has a defense slot over an offense slot I imagine. Seems like a good bridge gap ring as I am fine with slotting defense for this build.

I respec'd to this build fully last night as mine was similar but 5 - 6 points off in the feats. I must say, this build fits with my play style quite nicely and things are being frozen left and right. I feel like my AP regen was pretty solid and will improve once I get more familiar with the power rotation. I do not really have a baseline of how my previous builds compared, but this one definitely controls the mobs better while doing same / more damage.

Thanks for the build.
  • Options
    rebel230rebel230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can you post a video of the spec in action?
  • Options
    rebel230rebel230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Also, when people say the cat, are they referring the to black panther I got in the founder pack?
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rebel230 wrote: »
    Also, when people say the cat, are they referring the to black panther I got in the founder pack?

No, it is a different companion purchasable for around a million AD that transfers all its stats (power, crit, etc) to you. It is the min-maxers choice as other companions other than the Ioun Stone (that acts in a similar fashion stat-wise) tend to die very quickly or can interfere with party placement in high level dungeons.
  • Options
    baqqarabaqqara Member Posts: 41
    edited July 2013
    Been leveling with you build, been loving it ever since. Hit 60, got geared (since this is my second char, and my main gets nothing out gyrm coins...), played epic dungeons and it rocks. Really very much fun, also I dont have real problems in PvP, well i can kill better than on my DC and survive as long as on my DC. Good Allrounder build. Only need to learn the dungeons a little better from this perspective i guess.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Can anyone post a video of this build in action? Its very different than what I used to level up with.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Great work copticone!

Does anyone know which feats increase GS the most? I am interested in this because I already have more than enough of the essential stats (have 3.5k recov, 2k armor pen, 3k crit). I know toughness increases GS and am wondering what feats also do.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I wouldnt choose a feat just because it increases GS. That said, I dont think there are any paragon feats in thauma that increases GS. Under Heroic feats, I am guessing Weapon Master and maybe Prestidigitation
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I wouldnt choose a feat just because it increases GS. That said, I dont think there are any paragon feats in thauma that increases GS. Under Heroic feats, I am guessing Weapon Master and maybe Prestidigitation

Not Weapon Mastery - tested.

But possibly Prestidigitation - untested, but others have mentioned it in forums.

Similarly, I would never choose a feat for GS. You can get more than enough GS from enchants and gear.
  • Options
    runephoenix77runephoenix77 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Prestidigitation does increase your GS by 3% since it increase all you stats by 3%(as well as your party gets whatever bonus stats you get as well)
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Is that game all about GS or about effectiveness?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Is that game all about GS or about effectiveness?

You should be focusing on effectiveness but that said, after you have reached (and then significantly some more) all the required thresholds, I am interested to see how high a wizards' gearscore can reach without paying millions of AD for rank 10 enchantments.

So far, I have gotten prestidigitation from several folks.

Does toughness increase gearscore too?
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I know toughness increases GS and am wondering what feats also do.
    Does toughness increase gearscore too?

I don't think this is the right place/thread to be asking these kind of questions...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    I don't think this is the right place/thread to be asking these kind of questions...

Good contribution to the forum!
  • Options
    readytoredrumreadytoredrum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good contribution to the forum!

Ha, I get the sarcasm.

I don't know why people like that even bother to post without contributing anything, just to stalk your posts and point out frivolous blunders. By the way am also wondering which feats increase gearscore.
    ───────────
    Red
    Cafè CrêpeControl Wizard
  • Options
    threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited July 2013
    Prestidigitation does and so does toughness. Basically, any feat which increases the numbers on stats going into GS should in turn increase your GS. Unfortunately, in this game should does not necessarily mean it will :P.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Ha, I get the sarcasm.

I don't know why people like that even bother to post without contributing anything, just to stalk your posts and point out frivolous blunders. By the way am also wondering which feats increase gearscore.

Maybe you didn't understand the purpose of the thread. While you're being so very rude, you might want to consider that someone was trying to imply, gently, that your question was inappropriate. I will spell it out for you:

The thread is about how to not suck, and be a more effective player, not how to pad your stats to get into dungeons that you're not ready for, so you can be just another Bad to be carried by the team.

Happy now?
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    Maybe you didn't understand the purpose of the thread. While you're being so very rude, you might want to consider that someone was trying to imply, gently, that your question was inappropriate. I will spell it out for you:

The thread is about how to not suck, and be a more effective player, not how to pad your stats to get into dungeons that you're not ready for, so you can be just another Bad to be carried by the team.

Happy now?

Actually if you have a Human character then putting the 3 extra feat points into Prestidigitation will probably boost your overall team's effectiveness far more than anything else. You could even argue this for a non-human, as 3% increased stat rating for all 5 party member's is a huge boost.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »

Happy now?

Don't be an idiot. I am not going to take away important feats such as "Assailing Force" just to up my Gearscore. I am just interested to see which feats would increase gearscore. Again, effectiveness is more important than gearscore I am not disputing that.

I mean really, how dumb are you to think one would waste important feats in Thaum just to increase gearscore? Obviously that is not the point but I guess some people like you are lacking a bit upstairs. Carry on.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Prestidigitation does and so does toughness. Basically, any feat which increases the numbers on stats going into GS should in turn increase your GS. Unfortunately, in this game should does not necessarily mean it will :P.

Prestidigitation does increase GS and is a staple feat too. May I ask if you have found toughness to increase gearscore too?
This discussion has been closed.