Install Arc
Options

((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role

Comments

• Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    schulz87 wrote: »
    How do you keep vizier stack up on the buff? It seems the rotation COI and ice ray doesnt give any, while steal time gives 1 regardless of mobs hit, and shield gives 3 buff

I rarely use Icy Rays. My rotation on adds includes CoI and Icy Terrain, which doesnt change anything since neither proc the buff. Shield Pulse and Steel Time however do. If you use Shield Pulse first, you will have time for a CoI+Icy Terrain rotation, and end with Steal Time which will refresh all 3x stacks. That way you can at least keep up the buff/debuff for 12sec at a time.

Hopefully, at some point in the "near" future, they will fix it so that all our control powers proc the HV set bonus.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    oh sorry mistyped, ill try that one, i need something to buff my defense up because once I pop shield, agro goes to me
  • Options
    klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have a couple of quick questions for Copticone:

What stats did you roll for Int, Cha, Wis?

Where did you put your stat points when leveling? Int/Cha, Int/Wis or a mix of the three?

Thanks muchly.
  • Options
    deathsmistress7deathsmistress7 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've also been wondering about the stat point allocation, how often to do cha and wis. I assume INT is a plus every time.

My other question is regarding enchantments. What's the best ones to use for utility, defense, and offense?

I apologize if this is something that's been beaten to death, but I've searched and I'm not coming up with anything useful. (why, praytell, when I search in "The Library" for something does it give me results from every single board?? ugh)

Any info is much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I personally went INT/CHA

For enchantments, Utility always movement. Offensive depends on what stats you're lacking (around 30-35%crit, low 3ks for recovery, 1000-2000ArP). Defense, it really depends on your playstyle. Some opt for HP stacking, others deflect for PvP mainly, defense for PvE. I went with Life Steal and I enjoy it.
  • Options
    deathsmistress7deathsmistress7 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    artherianxartherianx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can I ask what points you put in to the Powers tree? I might have missed something I think...I have never played a caster class before, be sides the Necromancer in EQ but I would like to give this one a try. Thanks in advance.
    How does this look? any constructive criticism is welcomed.
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=ohr:47cok:6ygg,13f3ii3:60000:bu0uv:6u000&h=0
  • Options
    maxibestmaxibest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    Thanks a lot for the build. CW is the most fun class ive played so far (only havent tried GWF), and despite not even being lvl 60 and thus not having all the feats, im always at the top in damage charts, unless there's a really insane rogue on my party.

My rotation usually is Singularity -> spell mastery CoI on a beefy target, followed by icy terrain, steal time, and shield. That kills almost every mob once singularity ends and i pop my shield. Am i doing anything wrong? Should i wait for more Chill stacks?

I do very well on PvP too.

Now for the real questions:

I have bought the Archmage set, cuz its REALLY cheap and very decent. I thought it would be nice for AP regen and survivability until i get more used to this. Once i get to 60 i will run with another CW that focus on CC, my main focus will be dealing damage and murdering adds, so i will try to get up to 2.5k recovery, 1k armor pen, and then all the crit and power i can get.

Is the archmage set good enough for T2 clearing with this build until i get a better one? Any advice on belts/neck/rings? How about Enchant for weapon (for damage, screw utility for team XD)?

Again, thanks a lot, sorry for the wall of text, and screw spacefolks, they dont even lift :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    artherianx wrote: »
    Can I ask what points you put in to the Powers tree? I might have missed something I think...I have never played a caster class before, be sides the Necromancer in EQ but I would like to give this one a try. Thanks in advance.
    How does this look? any constructive criticism is welcomed.
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=ohr:47cok:6ygg,13f3ii3:60000:bu0uv:6u000&h=0

If you have limited experience with CWs, then I advise you to experiment with all the powers and to some degree the different trees. You might end up playing your CW in a completely different way than I do, and most likely will be just as viable. With regards to the specific Powers I use, I already mentioned them in the OP.
    maxibest wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the build. CW is the most fun class ive played so far (only havent tried GWF), and despite not even being lvl 60 and thus not having all the feats, im always at the top in damage charts, unless there's a really insane rogue on my party.

My rotation usually is Singularity -> spell mastery CoI on a beefy target, followed by icy terrain, steal time, and shield. That kills almost every mob once singularity ends and i pop my shield. Am i doing anything wrong? Should i wait for more Chill stacks?

I do very well on PvP too.

Now for the real questions:

I have bought the Archmage set, cuz its REALLY cheap and very decent. I thought it would be nice for AP regen and survivability until i get more used to this. Once i get to 60 i will run with another CW that focus on CC, my main focus will be dealing damage and murdering adds, so i will try to get up to 2.5k recovery, 1k armor pen, and then all the crit and power i can get.

Is the archmage set good enough for T2 clearing with this build until i get a better one? Any advice on belts/neck/rings? How about Enchant for weapon (for damage, screw utility for team XD)?

Again, thanks a lot, sorry for the wall of text, and screw spacefolks, they dont even lift :)

Again, you need to get the feel for the build and how all the feats fits together. This can only happen if you play around with it often, and trying different things. I cant tell you exactly how I use my powers, because there are many situations where a specific rotation doesn't apply.
    That said, you should know that Chill stacks add to your over all dps. Chill Stacks add to your overall CC by freezing mobs faster. Chilling Cloud used in a rotation will increase your overall dps and chill stacking. weaving in Steal Time and Shield Pulse will increase your dps, add CC, and proc feats.

There is no specific gear set needed for T2. The only requirements is the GS score. Yes some sets will suit your playstyle better, or may come in handy on specific bosses, but in no way are they crucial to clearing any T2.
  • Options
    scratch2k1scratch2k1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To help everyone who's a bit more visual or maybe reading impaired, here is copti's current build as far as I can figure from all his posts up until now. current as of 28 June.

http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=p1b:4t4hc:8fcz,13h2i50:6u000:bu0uv:6u000&h=0
  • Options
    vaashievaashie Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I must confirm the strengths of the build, using it for quite some time already. Just did CN full run(minus Draco, our tank DCed right before him, disband occured then) with a pug, 28M dmg, we skipped few parts between 2. and 3. boss. My gear is far from BiS, 10k gs - full Vizier set + decent geared stone are the best items I have.

Also I can't stress enough how beneficial is to have good GF in group nowadays, when most aggro goes to CWs like to DCs before the "balance" patch. GF gets lot of pressure off us and then we can shine and keep rest of group safe.

P.S. Arcane Mastery working with Shield again, hurray;)
  • Options
    agiletalentagiletalent Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    There is no specific gear set needed for T2. The only requirements is the GS score. Yes some sets will suit your playstyle better, or may come in handy on specific bosses, but in no way are they crucial to clearing any T2.

One thing I did notice was a HUGE frickin change when I switched to four piece viziers.

I had been using two shadow weaver and two of magelords - had a 10.5k GS, and I just couldn't build AP all that fast, and I like having it there in case of emergency. My recovery just wasn't high enough to .. well, I guess do what I needed to do in this build.

Having said that, once I changed over - WOW, it just clicked. Getting the high defense (still tweaking that part - need to shield pulse more often) has helped a lot, though, in spellplague last night, I'd go from kicking butt to getting my butt handed to me in a matter of seconds - and I believe it's because I wasn't rotating my skills to keep my defense up, as opposed to just reacting to the mobs as they came - and largely depending on steal time (ONLY) as my set proccing ability. So, gotta fix that!

Also, with the change to the high vizier's set - I saw my crit go WAY WAY down, as in, from about 2500 down to like 800. But my damage is UP. ;) Getting the recovery up has helped with my singularities and how much faster repel is available for punting mobs off ledges, which is one ability I never get tired of using. :)

So, I would say that gear does matter, though, I would agree with you that it shouldn't make or break a run. But, I certainly feel more effective with the viziers.

Oh, and I was able to buy the whole set for less than 300K. That was nice!

Oh, and capticone - another big thanks for the info!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The high vizier is a very good set. If you switch sets without rebalancing your stats, then of course you see a big change. What I meant is, no matter what set you use, you should compensate with enchants to balance your stats again based on your playstyle. That may involve re-enchanting all your other items, or even finding different accessories alltogether that favor stats which you have lost due to switching sets.
  • Options
    johneco1johneco1 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi Copticone. I will be 60 tonight hopefully and will be trying your build again. I did try it while I was leveling in my 40s but it chill cloud was not working well but you did mention that it wasn't a leveling build. I just wanted to see if I could get the hang of it. So anyway, my question is in regards to gear and stats. I know you mentioned that the build is not gear dependent but what I want to know is what stats should I be looking to increase with this build? Crit? Recovery? HP?
  • Options
    zippyhappychimpzippyhappychimp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Copticone: What are your feelings on High Vizier vs the new Grim/T2 pvp set? The 4 piece bonus for the Grim-PvP set isn't as good (or party friendly), but what about the wasted, er, defensive stats? Raw HP verses HV's Deflection and Regen?
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    PvP set don't work, assuming to forums posts.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    johneco1 wrote: »
    Hi Copticone. I will be 60 tonight hopefully and will be trying your build again. I did try it while I was leveling in my 40s but it chill cloud was not working well but you did mention that it wasn't a leveling build. I just wanted to see if I could get the hang of it. So anyway, my question is in regards to gear and stats. I know you mentioned that the build is not gear dependent but what I want to know is what stats should I be looking to increase with this build? Crit? Recovery? HP?

Recovery in the low-mid 3k
    Crit low-mid 2k
    ArP 1k-2k
    Then choose a defensive stat to stack that fits your playstyle.
    Copticone: What are your feelings on High Vizier vs the new Grim/T2 pvp set? The 4 piece bonus for the Grim-PvP set isn't as good (or party friendly), but what about the wasted, er, defensive stats? Raw HP verses HV's Deflection and Regen?
    PvP set don't work, assuming to forums posts.

For PvE, definitely Vizier. Not so sure about PvP though. If you can build the stacks quickly in PvP then it would still be good.
    The PvP set, is working, just not as good as I was expecting. I havent tried the new Grim set, but I assume it functions the same way. You don't get a flat 25% off of your current cooldown. It seems that it is based off of the base cooldown before Recovery and such. So what you end up with is a lot less than 25%.
  • Options
    hulkinahulkina Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do you know if two CW with Vizier set stack?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    hulkina wrote: »
    Do you know if two CW with Vizier set stack?

Yes they do! Now lets not bring any more attention to this :)
  • Options
    hulkinahulkina Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Last stupid question and a half I promise! Does Conduit of Ice FEAT stack with multiple Control Wizards? Same question with Ray of Enfeeblement debuff. btw amazing guide I use this for my 4xCW/1xDC Multibox. Lots of fun..and frost...and...funsicles.
  • Options
    kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Yes they do! Now lets not bring any more attention to this :)

Did you test it or only see 3+ stacks? Cause i tested it. Stacks staking, but damage not increased.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    hulkina wrote: »
    Last stupid question and a half I promise! Does Conduit of Ice FEAT stack with multiple Control Wizards? Same question with Ray of Enfeeblement debuff. btw amazing guide I use this for my 4xCW/1xDC Multibox. Lots of fun..and frost...and...funsicles.

Not sure about Conduit. I think in the 6-13 patch they made it so Ray of Enfeebleent doesnt stack from 2+ players.
    Did you test it or only see 3+ stacks? Cause i tested it. Stacks staking, but damage not increased.

On Dracolich you can see the two separate stacks. I saw 3x + 3x. And the boss went down a good 90seconds faster. That was last week. Not sure if there was a stealth fix.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Strange, testing before last patch - don't worked.
    BTW, speaking your guide. Focused wizardry is a waste of feats. Ingame tooltip is wrong. Real tooltip:
    Your area effect powers deal 3/6/9% more damage when they only strike a single target.
    And about dracolich. EF is near useless on this fight.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    BTW, speaking your guide. Focused wizardry is a waste of feats. Ingame tooltip is wrong.

It's actually the other way around. The in-game tooltip is right (other than which spells classify as "aoe", ofc), and the wiki/other descriptions are wrong. This has been tested by players.

Do you have new information to add?
  • Options
    threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Um, is it that the in-game tooltip is wrong or the wiki one (since that's where I saw it first and it's used in power calcs and other places)?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

And about dracolich. EF is near useless on this fight.

Kindly explain to us how EF is near useless and what you use in its place on Mastery. Making statements like that without justifications/alternatives doesn't really help anyone.
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copti can you confirm if plaguefire dot procs stormspell. as in test it with magic missile on a dummy etc. im sceptical if people mistake it for procing from icy terrain/steal time.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    necronet1337necronet1337 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Kindly explain to us how EF is near useless and what you use in its place on Mastery. Making statements like that without justifications/alternatives doesn't really help anyone.

repel - to bug mobs, obviously. otherwise rof.
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    uhm copti, do you gain fast AP on using conduit + ice terrain? rather than shield burst?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    repel - to bug mobs

No more words plz =)
This discussion has been closed.