test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RP rewards and DM intervention

Comments

• nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    jstar2 wrote: »
    Nick. There is no such thing as "true RP" as you call it. RP is whatever you make of it. some like to gather around in the inn to swap stories, some like to go out and fight as they share jests and commands, and some like to do other things. You're not the end all, be all judge of what is and isn't RP. Only the players who're RPing decide if what they're doing is RP or not. Not you. So quite with your arrogant attacks on others who like to RP in a fashion different from yours. It's childish.

RP is anything you make of it.
    It dfoes not result in progression rewardsin XP or better gear.
    If you think it does then you have no clue what RP is about.
    RP is an activity unto itself an activity that is it's own reward.
    Asking to be rewarded to stand oround a camp fire telling stories is insane.
    Play the game as intended earn the rewards as intended while you RP.
    That is real RP someone that can RP while playing makeing the best of it.
    Not someone who wants to have rewards created just to stand around telling stories
    because he ca't do both at the same time.
  • jstar2jstar2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Real RP can be rewarded with XP. GOOD, TRUE DM's/GM's reward their players with xp and such for good roleplay during a campaign. No, it should not be expected, but it is nice to have the option. Why you desire to refuse extra options, choices, and ways to get better in a game, is odd. There are many different playstyles, and many ways to reward them. RP is one of those things.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Please understand im not suggesting that you get awarded a dwarven thrower for just RP. That kind of item would be given after maybe a week or two long event, in which there is a lot of combat and RP.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It takes a month for them to even acknowledge you put in a ticket requesting customer service. You can't seriously be asking that they allocate resources to watch people stand around and talk, so they can award experience.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nick1stern wrote: »
    RP is anything you make of it.
    It dfoes not result in progression rewardsin XP or better gear.
    If you think it does then you have no clue what RP is about.
    RP is an activity unto itself an activity that is it's own reward.
    Asking to be rewarded to stand oround a camp fire telling stories is insane.
    Play the game as intended earn the rewards as intended while you RP.
    That is real RP someone that can RP while playing makeing the best of it.
    Not someone who wants to have rewards created just to stand around telling stories
    because he ca't do both at the same time.

In support of this I ask the other poster this question.

Current system is to fight monsters, deliver items, or rescue something for XP/chest reward right?
    So, how would you gauge a person's RP to give xp? It has to be automated since it is unrealistic to get many GM to do RP session (can you imagine how many session that would be? and how much time it would take to pull that off?)

If it is automated, how would you gauge it? text type? cleverbot can fix that. Moving around? macro bot can do that. Record action or random action and text? any program with decent RNG table can generate that. So any current automation reward of XP to a player would be hard to code.

If it is a real GM, then that player may NOT get as much exp as players who actually run the mission. How many session would a GM do RP? you know how exhausting it is to GM a game? preparation it will take? If such a thing was put in place, people would complain there isn't enough RP session (due to lack of qualifying GM or lack of money to hire GM) the reason I suggest an employee because they will have the power to GRANT exp and possible item. There has to be a system to prevent abuse and manipulation. If is a player who is GM, they can't benefit at all being a GM (i.e. can't gain xp since in PnP GM is it own reward ;) ) It would be a hard system to really implement properly.

NOW on the flip side of NO reward, then it becomes much much easier.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    In a rare mix environment (RP and combat) it is possible when you are group with a session of people for YEARS. Our group sometimes go into straight RP once or twice. It usually involve some problem solving with some gambling or reward from a questgiver (but not a vorpal sword) but something nice. Generally we use this method to "catch up" when we haven't play in a while and get some little reward to get us fire up for the next campaign :) those were the days.

But even RP on PnP, it is VERY rare to go from 1 to max level purely RP. You can't even quite do that in LARP (which I play VLARP personally) and I had some combat/interaction other than pure RP.

So why not do a little RP at first then gather your group and either do some foundry or regular missions, RP-ing all the while? I don't see how this is a problem...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    It takes a month for them to even acknowledge you put in a ticket requesting customer service. You can't seriously be asking that they allocate resources to watch people stand around and talk, so they can award experience.

Lol.... well there's that. Point taken. That still doesn't change the fact that a good percentage of the player pool wants, begging in fact for DnD aspects. But I read you load and clear on that. Regardless something has to be done to keep the DnD communities interest. This is as good an idea as any imo.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    So why not do a little RP at first then gather your group and either do some foundry or regular missions, RP-ing all the while? I don't see how this is a problem...

That is what I'm suggesting. I'm just pointing out that pure RP without combat is not feasible in action RPG with limited resources.
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    What im saying is there must be an alternate form of progression then just hack n slash shoot um up style.

LMAO. says who? Absurd
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Vanity items would be a giant step towards a more diverse DnD environment. It could grow from that over time, and in the short-
    term that would satisfy me.

I'd love to see more vanity and flavor items added to the game as well. I stopped playing WoW a couple years ago, and the only things I can honestly say I miss about that game are my massive mount and vanity pet collections.
  • nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    jstar2 wrote: »
    Real RP can be rewarded with XP. GOOD, TRUE DM's/GM's reward their players with xp and such for good roleplay during a campaign. No, it should not be expected, but it is nice to have the option. Why you desire to refuse extra options, choices, and ways to get better in a game, is odd. There are many different playstyles, and many ways to reward them. RP is one of those things.

They cryptic has more impoortant things to do to fix.
    You know bugs broken quests broken dungeons unbalanced PvP.
    they do not have time to stand aroun Live judging RP styles.
    It is an insane idea with a prohibative cost that would break the game.
    That is why.
    RP is for fun and is a reward unto itself.
    In Pen and Paper where each session has a live DM where he can decide
    if people stayed properly in character is completely differant from an MMO.
    It would not be possible here that is why there can be no rewards for bad acting or good or whatever.
    edited June 2013

Because in DnD RP is important and rewarded. Nothing more nothing less.
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

This isn't DnD
    edited June 2013

This is not DnD it is a Game based on a very small part of the DnD forgotten realms sub setting.
    If you came to a self described Action MMO loosely based on a small section subset of the 4e rule set expecting DnD
    well you made an error.
    edited June 2013
    hkiewa wrote: »
    This isn't DnD

Agreed, but im sure you've seen the hundreds of posts of players begging for DnD aspects. Should those players continue to be ignored?
    edited June 2013
    Agreed, but im sure you've seen the hundreds of posts of players begging for DnD aspects. Should those players continue to be ignored?

If it is unfeasible, sure. Remember the forum posters are usually a fraction of actual player base (I believe WoW did that one even with 10 million players, they may have over 100k posters at best - guessing here)

The balance is trying to find a method (that can be automated) to appease the masses. Simply stating to have a person (in this case employees) to host RP event (especially 24/7 then you need several employees since if you limit to certain time, then players complain why they can't RP during THEIR time zone) that is a lot to ask. Even with a dedicated gaming/event coordinator, you can only do so much without imbalance gameplay.

Visual reward is still reward. It is human nature to want something that is hard to get to "show off" to other players. Yes, especially RPer cause if they get a costume piece from RP event, then players would like to access said costume piece via store or other means. or have MORE RP events. While this is cool and awesome way to promote other way of playing, it is very man intensive.

So the hard part is trying to figure out RP way of doing it but not induce more man power (i.e. GM/DM cause we need these people to combat bots and solve tickets)
    edited June 2013
    They cryptic has more impoortant things to do to fix.
    You know bugs broken quests broken dungeons unbalanced PvP.
    they do not have time to stand aroun Live judging RP styles.
    It is an insane idea with a prohibative cost that would break the game.
    That is why.
    RP is for fun and is a reward unto itself.
    In Pen and Paper where each session has a live DM where he can decide
    if people stayed properly in character is completely differant from an MMO.
    It would not be possible here that is why there can be no rewards for bad acting or good or whatever.

Well I absolutely disagree with that. Nothing is more important imo then DnD aspects being implemented in what has become kind of a "stale" game.
    edited June 2013
    Well I absolutely disagree with that. Nothing is more important imo then DnD aspects being implemented in what has become kind of a "stale" game.

The thing is that you are trying to "implement" PnP style D&D to Graphical D&D. It can't be done properly without a true AI in the mix (which we don't have) the tech is just not there.

We can have "pseudo" D&D. Heck Neverwinter is a watered down 4th edition so it will be a while before we can get stuff even close to 4th ed book (if that is possible)

The thing is that if you want a true Graphical type D&D experience with full RP, then you may have to turn to WoTC virtual desktop gaming or form a real PnP gaming group and RP to your heart content or join online MUD/MUSH type game (where they RP only)
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are multiple progression paths try playing rather then standing around talking about playing.
    A diverse pool from RP lol yeah ok......
    True RP is few and far between loss of real pen and paper is when true RP started to die out.
    Your idea of RP is not real RP real RPers RP all the time they play the game get the rewards the way intended in character.

Must say as a full time Rper, I agree with this statement right here. It kind of kills the initiative to have something to make incentive to Rp, where Rp is a voluntary thing to begin with. Everything you can do in game, can be done in Rp already. Thus the rewards for Rping are already there.
    edited June 2013

Stale to you?
    Perhaps you came in expecting something other then what the developers were developing.
    It is a Action MMO very loosely based on DnD.
    Your expectations were clearly misplaced if you though there was going to be 24/7 live DMs to judge your acting ability.

Again RP to your hearts content in character at all time gaining the rewards as you play they way intended.
  • khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, lets turn this around to look at it from a different angle:
    Bracer2, how do you think that the game should be capable of RPing with a real person, or at least scoring your RP with another player?
    Or if it uses the other player to judge the level of RP, how do you prevent honest evaluations rather than "score trading" or max score being the default?

Most of the reasonable objections to your suggestion aren't about whether this should be done, they are about whether this could be done.
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    Bracer2, how do you think that the game should be capable of RPing with a real person, or at least scoring your RP with another player?
    Or if it uses the other player to judge the level of RP, how do you prevent honest evaluations rather than "score trading" or max score being the default?

Most of the reasonable objections to your suggestion aren't about whether this should be done, they are about whether this could be done.

That's a good point - any such system would have to be automated, and without knowing about the background or personality of each and every person's character, (like a real DM can), it'd be almost impossible to implement.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »

Well, It was done in the much older and out of date NWN2 online games, on private servers. So its inarguable if it "could" be done. Its been done. Given that fact. The only other point I have is that a large portion of the player pool want DnD aspects in order to keep playing at all...I cant play anymore, its awful and without any flavor. Button pushing repetition is driving players away.

As far as how it would work is very simple. Use the NWN2 model. So many words equate to a low amount of XP, just like in previous online DnD video games. So, the gain will be minimal, unless you RP on a consistent bases, then of course it adds up and actually stacks to the point that if you roleplay daily you can end up progressing to through new lvls. I would think something like it takes twice as long to RP a lvl as to farm one.

I was DM on a FR server in NWN2 for a couple years, it was awful. And incredibly hard for me. Putting players before myself for that long burnt me out o the whole online DM thing. However, the players LOVED it. The way I went about it is I would do absolutely nothing, until the players for sometimes weeks would post in character on a RP forum, and in game of course. Again for weeks. Essentially the players created and adventure through RP, but took an actual DM to create the physical event. One example is a group of drow consistently being spotted in Stonebar (a dwarven stronghold) mining there gems. This was against the rules of that particular server.
    Now instead of banning the drow players like most people wanted. Why not create an event to settle it? Through a couple more weeks of RP and in character forum posts I outlined and event that lasted 2 weeks. The details of said event are not important as im not gonna write a book, as I did then. After those two weeks of consistent RP, and PvP and special combat involving unique spawns that weren't in the base game. And a whole lot of NPC takeover on my part. At the end all players involved for whom were central to the RP part I awarded +4 rings of protection (was a mid magic environment +3 was top) so the rings held great value. The central players I refer to were easy to identify. They posted on the forums, they kept the event going when others lost interest. I would log in as DM and immediately get tells from those who cared to add to the event and add to its interest. Mainly when logged on as a DM I could see what everyone was doing. Most were just farming or grinding someplace, but a smaller group were actually role playing scenarios, FOR HOURS, DAYS. It was easy to determine who should get the fat reward at the end of that month. The players decide. Let me say that again. The players decide who gets the good stuff after a long term ongoing event like that. As long as the DM is not blind or ignorant then its a very simple decision. That's the very short form of one example. I have many more where I was just a player. And a few more when a DM.

A REAL DnD EXPERIENCE WAS CREATED. JUST LIKE WHAT THIS GAME ADVERTISES but does not follow through on.

This game needs DnD so so bad right now, maybe there better ways to do it, what are they then? For a lot of players neverwinter just sux right now. MORE THINKING LESS BUTTON PUSHING. Is the the bottom line. Less action, more traps, and locked doors and alternate xp gain then hack n slash. More RP. Less speed runs. More creativity from players, that actually can spawn real adventures. MORE THINKING LESS BUTTON PUSHING. :)
    edited June 2013
    bracer2, I get what you want out of the game, but it will not be implemented if it cannot be automated. Until such time that a non-exploitable and automated RP reward system can be implemented, it simply isn't going to happen. The closest you could get would be for players to reward others with items they've found/won/bought for good RP-ing...
    edited June 2013
    Well, It was done in the much older and out of date NWN2 online games, on private servers.

You Just answered your own question as to why it will never work here...
    Old outdated private servers that required LIVE intervention on a GMs part.
    It will never happen in this business model/
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Rewarding role-play won't be done by the developers. The quality of role-play is too subjective for them to reward it without an outcry from the player base regarding the appropriateness of their rewards, as quality role-play is very much in the eye of the beholder. It would open up a can of worms they won't want to deal with, so it won't happen.

Anything along this line would have to be a player ran initiative.
    edited June 2013
    bracer2, I get what you want out of the game, but it will not be implemented if it cannot be automated. Until such time that a non-exploitable and automated RP reward system can be implemented, it simply isn't going to happen. The closest you could get would be for players to reward others with items they've found/won/bought for good RP-ing...

I know. DnD concepts are out of scope. I mean almost all of them. The rules concepts such as AC being hit or miss will change game mechanics so that's out. And with no in game RP resources DnD seems to be literally "locked out" of this game. And im sorry but without RP reward DnD cant exist. Regardless, a lot of players wont continue to play or wont come back to play until there's at least some hint of DnD in this game. Ive only made a couple threads on this kind of topic yet have seen literally hundreds since CB to now. Its what the players want.
    edited June 2013
    Its what the players want.

No it is what you want...
    You only speak for yourself.
    This is a DnD based action MMO. Not DnD.
    edited June 2013
    No it is what you want...
    You only speak for yourself.
    This is a DnD based action MMO. Not DnD.

What about the constant barrage of posts begging for DnD implementation? Its what all of them want too. And that's a lot of players.
    edited June 2013
    I know. DnD concepts are out of scope. I mean almost all of them. The rules concepts such as AC being hit or miss will change game mechanics so that's out. And with no in game RP resources DnD seems to be literally "locked out" of this game. And im sorry but without RP reward DnD cant exist. Regardless, a lot of players wont continue to play or wont come back to play until there's at least some hint of DnD in this game. Ive only made a couple threads on this kind of topic yet have seen literally hundreds since CB to now. Its what the players want.

Players *can* RP. They can act out their characters and play the way they want *within the confines of what the game has to offer*. Any system that requires a live DM interact w/ the players on a regular basis simply isn't feasible, so that's out.

I look at the game and I see the typical D&D races, most of the classes, the monsters, the setting, magic, etc. It may not be true to the PnP books, but there's nothing that leads me to believe this *isn't* D&D.