test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tempted to get HON

cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok, I'm really getting tempted to get the Hero of the North pack. Mostly for the mount and VIP (queue priority). The rest is just a bonus. I've resisted for a long time, completely free so far.

So please, any haters out there talk me out of it, lol! :)

Question: any Foundry users who are HON as well? Does it improve your queue wait when in the Foundry tools or do you still get server timeout notices in Preview mode?

EDIT: For those who don't read the pages following this OP, I don't blame you, and I appreciate your own feedback about the HotN pack. Here's my personal decision...
Well, I've decided against giving Cryptic any money. So I'm not going to be the HotN pack. After a weekend of horrible foundry server lag, timeouts, and two Foundry crashes in a row thanks to their buggy software, it really turned me off from ever giving them a dime. I'm still enjoying Neverwinter and the Foundry, but not the reliability of the service.
cipher_jitn_sig.png
Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
Post edited by cipher9nemo on

Comments

• Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Is the queue priority supposed to apply to dungeon queues as well?
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is the queue priority supposed to apply to dungeon queues as well?

No, it only applies to the login server.
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I as a non HoN have not ran into any form of que when logging in.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The queue only applies to logon and was only an issue during the first week or so of the open beta, way back in April & early May.

The HotN pack does give you access to the limited edition Drow & the Spider mount!
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do not do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Do not do it.

lol, thanks! :) Now why?
    The queue only applies to logon and was only an issue during the first week or so of the open beta, way back in April & early May.

The HotN pack does give you access to the limited edition Drow & the Spider mount!

That's the other item I forgot. I really want a Drow, as that has been my main in NVN, DDO, etc. But I assume they'd open up the ability to buy into that class later. I just don't know how much later.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lol, thanks! :) Now why?

That's the other item I forgot. I really want a Drow, as that has been my main in NVN, DDO, etc. But I assume they'd open up the ability to buy into that class later. I just don't know how much later.

The drow will be opened up to everyone 60+ days after launch.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dardove wrote: »

Thanks! How did you discover that?
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thanks! How did you discover that?

It has been repeated multiple times by Cryptic staff.
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. If you want a mount just buy the nightmare mount off the AH.
    2. Priority Que does not mean squat anymore as well because of the massive decline in population.
    3. The Drow will be out soon because it has been over sixty days since launch.

That is my reason why.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dardove wrote: »

The actual quote is "no sooner than 60 days after launch".

That could mean 90, 120 or 365, not just 61.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    2. Priority Que does not mean squat anymore as well because of the massive decline in population.

That is my reason why.

The one thing that annoys me right now is $200 for the founder's pack yields 2m AD. But That's under $60 of AD if you bought zen and converted it. $200 would get you 7m AD.

What about queue priority for Foundry Editor reset & loading? Any HON experience server not responding notices when editing in the Foundry?

It has not been 60 days since launch. It has been 5 days. Launch was the 20th. Now if you mean since Open Beta that's different.
    elawyn wrote: »
    The actual quote is "no sooner than 60 days after launch".

That could mean 90, 120 or 365, not just 61.

Indeed.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013

That is my reason why.

It has been less than a week since launch. They are counting live launch, not open beta.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Game's been in open beta, not launched status which happened on the 20th. So 5 days of live release. :P

As to reason why not? You can get a purple item which from others suck, and something that makes you glow. Mount you can buy off the trading post and drow comes out in maybe 55 days. To me 200 dollars for all that isn't worth it. You could buy 3 or 4 games with that 200 dollars and be happier.

Forgot you get a million AD too
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yes it has been 60 days (including the several day head start the HON founders got). I have invoked all 15 characters on my account everyday for 61 days. That is how many Ardent Coins each character has.

Im not trying to deter you or be anti game or anything because that is not my point. The logical reasoning for the value is just not there. Even if you get enough Zen for 4 extra character slots that is 10.00 and a 40.00 mount for every character you will ever make again on your account is a total of 50.00. There is absolutely no reason to waste 200.00 on the HoTN pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    Game's been in open beta, not launched status which happened on the 20th. So 5 days of live release. :P

As to reason why not? You can get a purple item which from others suck, and something that makes you glow. Mount you can buy off the trading post and drow comes out in maybe 55 days. To me 200 dollars for all that isn't worth it. You could buy 3 or 4 games with that 200 dollars and be happier.

I could also stash away $200 for a future PC build too.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think it was totally worth it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And as for Qeue's in the Foundry. that does not matter. The qeue's ONLY matter for logging your account in. Once your logged in you log in separately to the Foundry. I know this because I hang out in vent with a bunch of the Alpha Foundry testers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I could also stash away $200 for a future PC build too.

Thats an upgrade from a 7870 to a 770! Even 7970's are coming down to around 300
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Im not trying to deter you or be anti game or anything because that is not my point. The logical reasoning for the value is just not there. Even if you get enough Zen for 4 extra character slots that is 10.00 and a 40.00 mount for every character you will ever make again on your account is a total of 50.00. There is absolutely no reason to waste 200.00 on the HoTN pack.
    pelomixa wrote: »
    I think it was totally worth it.

Thanks, both of you. Still debating it. Wait an unknown amount of time for Drow race and possibly be too invested in my current main to switch focus, or have a specific type now (though an exile Drow). And also spider mount isn't available anywhere else. Anyone really like the spider mount? It seems the Nightmare mount is more desired since it's a challenge to get lucy getting one (or someone paid a lot).

And pel, why was it worth it to you?
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thats an upgrade from a 7870 to a 770! Even 7970's are coming down to around 300

You could probably play most of these pc games on a 400 dollar computer, since they don't seem to ever push PC's anymore and want to get into the console market also.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You could probably play most of these pc games on a 400 dollar computer, since they don't seem to ever push PC's anymore and want to get into the console market also.

I have a GTX 680, but on a first-gen Core i7 920. Looking to build a new system later with a GTX 780 or whatever is new at the time, but really want to wait for enthusiast line of the Haswell cores (whatever is after X79 chipset). I run at 2560x1600 for gaming (and two side monitors for desktop), so I need a pretty solid card and the 680 is fine right now.
    And as for Qeue's in the Foundry. that does not matter. The qeue's ONLY matter for logging your account in. Once your logged in you log in separately to the Foundry. I know this because I hang out in vent with a bunch of the Alpha Foundry testers.

Thanks! :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have both the spider and the nightmare. In my opinion the spider is way cooler and more fun. I even get the feeling its a faster cast and it turns faster. The horse has a few second delay when changing directions because he cant turn on a dime (4 legs versus 8).

If anyone else has both I am sure they will agree that the spider turns around way faster.

Pelomixa
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I have both the spider and the nightmare. In my opinion the spider is way cooler and more fun. I even get the feeling its a faster cast, it turns faster, the horse has a few second delay when changing directions because he cant turn on a dime where a spider can.

If anyone else has both I am sure they will agree that the spider turns around way faster.

Pelomixa

Thanks! That helps.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I am still using a 965 amd though I did have a 9800 in this went to a 7870 ati I do prefer NVidia to ati though. so far the games I play do not challenge this computer.
  • Options
    cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i got a pack and love it. every alt has a mount!! that is a big deal mount at lvl 20 for ever. also you get some awesome starter gear that makes the first 20 25 levels Super easy! great companion right from the start. Also you get a chest at lvl 60 that gives a weapon which is right on par with a t2 weapon. I think its a really good deal and it helps support a game you like to play.
  • Options
    brutikusivbrutikusiv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To be honest unless you just have loads of $200s to just throw around than I'd save that. I spent $190 the first two weeks than last week it hit me that's why I ALWAYS tell myself not to play P2W games as all to often they're quick to lose my focus: In a few weeks you'll be sitting around repeating the same content over and over and over and over. The mounts super sweet... For a few days than you realize half the people have one and it's nothing special. You will quickly learn that mounts are simply nothing but a quick path to travel short distances as this game doesn't have 'much' of an open world. No vast 3 mile rides will ever be needed. It's mostly short mount ups followed by kill another 10 of these and collect 5 of that. If this is your first MMORPG and or you have a vast guild that plans on 100% surety to be staying here diehard conclusively than "maybe" buy it ( again if you just have a few thousand laying around and the $200 is simply going to be spent on pizza and beer otherwise. Up to you but alas I'd say unless you really truly have zero financial problems just tossing $200 to the next homeless person or animal shelter than sure why not.
  • Options
    selethorselethor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

This is an optical illusion, make a controlled test.
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok, I'm really getting tempted to get the Hero of the North pack. Mostly for the mount and VIP (queue priority). The rest is just a bonus. I've resisted for a long time, completely free so far.

So please, any haters out there talk me out of it, lol! :)

Question: any Foundry users who are HON as well? Does it improve your queue wait when in the Foundry tools or do you still get server timeout notices in Preview mode?

Get HoN if you feel like it .
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I am still using a 965 amd though I did have a 9800 in this went to a 7870 ati I do prefer NVidia to ati though. so far the games I play do not challenge this computer.

I bet you run around HD or less resolution. If you go triple screen or 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 then you'll notice. ;)

Also, some people are more sensitive to micro-stuttering in games than others. Even if you're getting 60 FPS, you'll still get very brief dips in framerate, since framerate is an average. Tools like Furmark can help identify your lowest framerate. That's why people dump so much into computers, to get max settings at high resolutions with framerates that never dip below your monitor's refresh capabilities.

At any rate, for the type of computers I build, $200 is just a drop in the bucket. Still, it's $200 for game, and that's debatable what I'll personally get out of it.

I ask this and started this thread because we're approaching end-of-the-line for Foundry pack offers soon. I haven't seen any official dates on when it will end and Cryptic reps refuses to answer me no matter how many times I pose the question on Twitter, etc.
    cichard wrote: »
    i got a pack and love it. every alt has a mount!! that is a big deal mount at lvl 20 for ever. also you get some awesome starter gear that makes the first 20 25 levels Super easy! great companion right from the start. Also you get a chest at lvl 60 that gives a weapon which is right on par with a t2 weapon. I think its a really good deal and it helps support a game you like to play.

But you choose not to show the HotN tag? That's odd. Is that possible? Can I not show the tag?
    cipher_jitn_sig.png