Options

Tempted to get HON

124»

Comments

• Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    That looks about right LOL I feel that 9800 did better then this 7870 ati, But I thought I read that resolution does not effect FPS. Is that right?

Not all 7870's are made equal.

There are the regular 7870's that use the Pitcairn chips, which is the standered.

But there are some 7870's that use the Tahiti chip, which is the same chip used in the 7900 series, which in essence makes them a 7930.

I have one of these overclocked (1150Mhz core 1500MHz memory), and I'm getting just as good, if not better, performance then a 7950.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    I have one of these overclocked (1150Mhz core 1500MHz memory), and I'm getting just as good, if not better, performance then a 7950.

Nice. :) Yeah, not all models of an AMD or NVIDIA GPU have the same reference implementation. And even then, some of them are rebranded, so they're not really the same. Remember the NVIDIA 9800 GT rebranding scandal? The model name and the GPU architecture themselves are sometimes different.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes but those were "unpaid-for" items according to Cryptic. When you pre-ordered, you got it free. Nevermind people who bought multiple copies to get the bonuses. They did that 4-5 months after release, thinking we had "enough exclusivity". Took me at least a year to simmer down..... *grumbles* I find it better with PW so far. The suits at Atari didn't understand what a MMO was and because of that, didn't get updates for around a year.

And oh yeah, the mounts in the packs are for each character, same as the Zen mounts, which is REALLY useful. The companions are account-wide too, which is AWESOME; Zen companions are not, something I hope will change in the future. I should've mentionned all that, it makes it worthwhile.

You seem pretty set. If you finances allow, go for it!!

Unfortunately they can say whatever they wish to about those items, but it was marketed as getting those items for pre ordering, an incentive.

However the items in the founders pack can also be said to be free items.
  • Options
    nighthalasnighthalas Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2013
    I would build a personal Champion of the North pack if I had $200 to spend on the game. :D

* HEAVY HOWLER MOUNT
    * IOUN STONE OF ALLURE COMPANION
    * 4 LARGE BAGS OF HOLDING
    (96 more inventory slots)
    * 4 EXTRA CHARACTER SLOTS
    * 12 MORE BANK SPACE SLOTS
    * 2 RESPEC TOKENS
    * 12 BOTTLES OF DYE
    * 3,500,000 ASTRAL DIAMONDS
  • Options
    johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I would seriously think before funding Neverwinter any further. Just one reason;
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?373371-Founders-pack-are-now-Neverwinter-Packs&p=4734501&viewfull=1#post4734501

I could list 100 reasons, but Im assuming a quick look on the forum - being 90% negative towards the game - speaks for itself.
    (Rarely seen a forum reporting this much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> without getting almost any response from devs. no communication. and yes, ive been around. and oh, the customer support isnt supporting you. or anyone.)

My advice; save your cash
    The "exclusive" stuff you get isnt exclusive anymore, since the Devs lied about the Founders Packs, so youre basically getting zen store stuff, or stuff that probably will be added later.
    Level up to 60, should take 4 days or so, buy some AH gear and pvp gear. Run t1 then t2. Then enjoy standing around in Conclave. Then make a decision on if you want to lay down two hundred dollars on this game.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    I could list 100 reasons, but Im assuming a quick look on the forum - being 90% negative towards the game - speaks for itself.

90% of statistics on the Internet are false, including this statement of mine, and yours. I'd love to see how you got 90%, but we both know you just made up that number based on your own frustration/anger over Cryptic/PWE. Yes there are haters here. Yes many complaints are perfectly valid and I share them. But no, there are plenty of happy people who beyond what you might call a "fanboy".
    My advice; save your cash

(...)

Level up to 60, should take 4 days or so, buy some AH gear and pvp gear. Run t1 then t2. Then enjoy standing around in Conclave. Then make a decision on if you want to lay down two hundred dollars on this game.

Not the best advice for my gaming style. Unlike you I don't rush and grind to end-game, and I don't play a F2P game all the way through before I decide whether or not to use in-game stores, packs, or other micro or macro transactions. But your advice is valuable in letting me know that gamers who enjoying burning through an MMO like are ones who think the HoTN and Guardian packs are not worthwhile.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    dirtyhookdirtyhook Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just get Guardian.

The pet and mount are worth it as they are account wide.
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. Spider mount is ****ing amazing.
    2. Drow is definitely nice having. I have 2 HoTN accounts. The Drow racial abilities aint all that great, but being one right now has it's own perks.
    3. is it worth 200 dollars ?...No

4. Am I having buyers remorse ? ...only slightly.. everytime I pop that spider mount, it takes it away.

your better off waiting for Drow and using that 200 bucks on something IRL...

Treat yourself to something nice IRL...
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Don't spend a dime at this point.

Play the game. Earn enough AD to open 2 character slots (500 Zen). This gives you a great understanding of the mechanics and basics. Next you can decide how much to spend. 30 dollars will be enough money to get some bags and/or bank space to further enjoy the game. Spending more than that will greatly increase the convenience factor.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lichlament wrote: »
    1. Spider mount is ****ing amazing.
    2. Drow is definitely nice having. I have 2 HoTN accounts. The Drow racial abilities aint all that great, but being one right now has it's own perks.
    3. is it worth 200 dollars ?...No

4. Am I having buyers remorse ? ...only slightly.. everytime I pop that spider mount, it takes it away.

your better off waiting for Drow and using that 200 bucks on something IRL...

Treat yourself to something nice IRL...
    tarmalen wrote: »
    Don't spend a dime at this point.

Play the game. Earn enough AD to open 2 character slots (500 Zen). This gives you a great understanding of the mechanics and basics. Next you can decide how much to spend. 30 dollars will be enough money to get some bags and/or bank space to further enjoy the game. Spending more than that will greatly increase the convenience factor.

Thanks, all good advice. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    khynneakhynnea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Also according to the twitter feed, the pack has removed the 'Founder' title apparently. You may want to evaluate whether buying zen and getting what you want in game is better; if you really want a drow now, and the spider, then do it. It all comes down to what you want and when you want it.

It's your money, spend it how you -choose-. :-)

Just good to be informed.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    khynnea wrote: »
    Also according to the twitter feed, the pack has removed the 'Founder' title apparently. You may want to evaluate whether buying zen and getting what you want in game is better; if you really want a drow now, and the spider, then do it. It all comes down to what you want and when you want it.

It's your money, spend it how you -choose-. :-)

Just good to be informed.

Yup, I was in that whole thread of people complaining about it. I didn't see the big deal over just a "Founder" in-game tag change on whether or not the packs were supposed to be available after a certain point. Marketing teams stretch truth to the point of lying and covering it up, that's nothing new. They refer to this as a "mistake" or an "error" instead of admitting they lied. So no surprise, no shock to me, and in turn nothing to really fret over.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Yup, I was in that whole thread of people complaining about it. I didn't see the big deal over just a "Founder" in-game tag change on whether or not the packs were supposed to be available after a certain point. Marketing teams stretch truth to the point of lying and covering it up, that's nothing new. They refer to this as a "mistake" or an "error" instead of admitting they lied. So no surprise, no shock to me, and in turn nothing to really fret over.

They claimed the items would be exclusive to founders, then rushed people to buy them "before its too late!", with a rather large price tag, only to just rename the pack, take out a title, and re-sell it, incl the once exclusive items like race, mount, companion, etc.
    I find this something to "fret over", as do others. If you want to fund a company that does these kinds of things, by all means.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would get the guardian pack, persdonally.

Epic mount. Epic pet (better than the panther), 600k AD, character slot, super own everything in the face for the first 20 levels graycloak weapon, and a respec token.

The delzoun weapon is useless, since you can easily get a pvp weapon with equal damage, or buy a weapon in the AH for under 20k AD that's equal or better. The weapon enchant is nice to have, but not necessary. The extra character slots are nice, yeah, but again you can just buy zen and get those extra character slots much cheaper.

What it really boils down to is this
    Brown drow?
    Panther?
    Spider?
    Extra bag?
    VIP section in the mask?
    **** for other games that probably ten people actually used?

Answer those questions, weigh the pro's and cons. If the answer is negative, go guardian. imo. I have no regrets for buying both
  • Options
    ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cichard wrote: »
    i got a pack and love it. every alt has a mount!! that is a big deal mount at lvl 20 for ever. also you get some awesome starter gear that makes the first 20 25 levels Super easy! great companion right from the start. Also you get a chest at lvl 60 that gives a weapon which is right on par with a t2 weapon. I think its a really good deal and it helps support a game you like to play.

You can get "almost" that for dropping $60, and for spending a little time in game you don't even have to spend that at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You can get "almost" that for dropping $60, and for spending a little time in game you don't even have to spend that at all.

Yep. Sometimes I get a bit paranoid and almost think some people here are secretly working for PWE... :P
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yep. Sometimes I get a bit paranoid and almost think some people here are secretly working for PWE... :P

PWE mods don't exactly hide their opinions. If they were working for PWE they would probably arrrogantly tell you so. And they would have the right to do so, according to the "how to internet" user handbook. Page 13, line 37.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    PWE mods don't exactly hide their opinions. If they were working for PWE they would probably arrrogantly tell you so. And they would have the right to do so, according to the "how to internet" user handbook. Page 13, line 37.

I was of course (jokingly) talking about hidden rep accounts or mole accounts, whatever you want to call them - accounts companies use to spread hype or for voting or for writing ghost reviews with 5/5, and so on.
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    irrelevant to the op, but 3770k, and the recently released haswell 4770k beat out the 8350 in single threaded performance

the youtuber you watched was probably playing a gpu bound game which isnt an accurate benchmark for the cpu.. lol

resolution changes are dependent on the gpu and you're listing cpu's

Yeah, FWIW, Tom's Hardware found that this particular game is extraordinarily CPU-bound -- to the point where a GTX 650 Ti Boost performs exactly the same as a GTX 680 on max detail settings @ 1080p (using a locked-multiplier Ivy Bridge Core i5, IIRC).

Granted, that was back during the beta (about two months ago), so YMMV.
  • Options
    dread131313dread131313 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The one thing that annoys me right now is $200 for the founder's pack yields 2m AD. But That's under $60 of AD if you bought zen and converted it. $200 would get you 7m AD.

What about queue priority for Foundry Editor reset & loading? Any HON experience server not responding notices when editing in the Foundry?

It has not been 60 days since launch. It has been 5 days. Launch was the 20th. Now if you mean since Open Beta that's different.

Indeed.

Just spend the $200 (if you are really itching to spend money on an incomplete game) and buy 7m AD, level a GWF to 60 and gear him out with greater tenes and faceroll everyone in PVP... profit?

And they say this game isnt pay to win.. LOL biggest joke of 2013, this notion.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I was of course (jokingly) talking about hidden rep accounts or mole accounts, whatever you want to call them - accounts companies use to spread hype or for voting or for writing ghost reviews with 5/5, and so on.

I know, I was speaking about those :P

Separate the first sentence from the rest of the post and it'll make more sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well, I've decided against giving Cryptic any money. So I'm not going to be the HotN pack. After a weekend of horrible foundry server lag, timeouts, and two Foundry crashes in a row thanks to their buggy software, it really turned me off from ever giving them a dime. I'm still enjoying Neverwinter and the Foundry, but not the reliability of the service.
    pfft2 wrote: »
    Yeah, FWIW, Tom's Hardware found that this particular game is extraordinarily CPU-bound -- to the point where a GTX 650 Ti Boost performs exactly the same as a GTX 680 on max detail settings @ 1080p (using a locked-multiplier Ivy Bridge Core i5, IIRC).

Granted, that was back during the beta (about two months ago), so YMMV.

Haven't really seen that myself, so perhaps it's the graphic settings you opt for that changes things to make it CPU heavy. The four cores on my old Core i7 920 are never maxed, let alone taxed much while playing, and I run a GTX 680 with it.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

That's funny because, based on your forum activity, I would almost assume that you are being paid (or at least have some vested financial interest) to spread negative attitudes and opinions on these forums. Just sayin'.

(I know you'll say that you are trying to do a "service" to those that spent money on founder's packs, while you did not, by making sure that their opinions are heard, but anyone with half a brain knows that's a bunch of you know what.)
  • Options
    wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Using two $100 bills as toilet paper would be a better use of $200 than spending it on this half-finished, thoughtless, unsupported travesty of a videogame.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    wolfrat14 wrote: »
    Using two $100 bills as toilet paper would be a better use of $200 than spending it on this half-finished, thoughtless, unsupported travesty of a videogame.

"half-finished": For the Foundry tools I'd agree. For the game, no, I think it's fine. Little end-game, but that is to be expected from Cryptic as the Foundry is supposed to carry the rest, just like in STO. Lots of bugs, sure, but that's every MMO at launch. And yes, balance issues, exploits, etc., but half-finished? No.

"thoughtless": disagree. Lots of attention and love went into making Neverwinter. Now if you were to say 'greedy cash grab by PWE', then I could agree.

"unsupported": completely agree. The worst customer service I've seen from any MMO publisher, and horrible communication from the devs.

"travesty": disagree. Almost run into the ground, but still salvageable. It depends on whether or not Cryptic fixes all of the server load/lag/timeout issues. As is, the Foundry and game are acceptable, though not fantastic in terms of a competitive MMO. They could be outstanding if Cryptic put more work into them. They released far too early.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • Options
    pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Haven't really seen that myself, so perhaps it's the graphic settings you opt for that changes things to make it CPU heavy. The four cores on my old Core i7 920 are never maxed, let alone taxed much while playing, and I run a GTX 680 with it.

I haven't personally seen it either, but then again I haven't bothered to check my frame rates since I started playing Neverwinter a few days ago. The benchmarks are pretty interesting, though; I don't know that I've ever seen such a huge CPU bottleneck before, even in an MMO. Even if Tom's results are no longer valid, they're worth a read just for curiosity's sake.

In your case, and if my vague memory of your previous posts is correct, your extremely high resolution (triple monitor?) probably shifts the burden back to the GPU. That, and an i7 920 isn't exactly a bad CPU. Performance gains on the CPU side have slowed to a crawl over the last few years.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I haven't personally seen it either, but then again I haven't bothered to check my frame rates since I started playing Neverwinter a few days ago. The benchmarks are pretty interesting, though; I don't know that I've ever seen such a huge CPU bottleneck before, even in an MMO. Even if Tom's results are no longer valid, they're worth a read just for curiosity's sake.

Indeed. :)
    In your case, and if my vague memory of your previous posts is correct, your extremely high resolution (triple monitor?) probably shifts the burden back to the GPU. That, and an i7 920 isn't exactly a bad CPU. Performance gains on the CPU side have slowed to a crawl over the last few years.

Three monitors, but I only game on one (2560x1600) so double the pixels of HD, but not as bad as triple-screen gaming in terms of performance hit. Yeah, the 920 has kept me afloat without having to get an upgrade anytime soon. Waiting for the chipset after X79. The only thing I don't like is being limited to SATA 2 for SSDs, and adding a SATA 3 PCIe or RAID card seems to have compatibility issues on my motherboard (tried a few). But the X79 Dark by EVGA is tempting: http://www.evga.com/articles/00758/.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png