test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tempted to get HON

Comments

• pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    selethor wrote: »
    This is an optical illusion, make a controlled test.
    I will tonight, I'll even video it and post it if I am correct.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ok, I'm really getting tempted to get the Hero of the North pack. Mostly for the mount and VIP (queue priority). The rest is just a bonus. I've resisted for a long time, completely free so far.

So please, any haters out there talk me out of it, lol! :)

Question: any Foundry users who are HON as well? Does it improve your queue wait when in the Foundry tools or do you still get server timeout notices in Preview mode?

If you enjoy the game then do it!
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Just consider what you want in the game. Is it the companion, the mount, could that be bought for a cheaper price directly at the Zen Store. While many of the items are VERY USEFULL early on in the game, later they don't have the same purpose. You likely could buy the mount, companion at Zen store, and save some money.

I bought it, and I'm happy with it.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah it actually can't go above 1920x1080 I get a steady 54fps :P But if I don't notice it, I don't need it. anything over the refresh of the monitor gets dumped out as useless info from what I have read.

But Founders pack does give you these things for every alt you ever create, ever. Which could be good.
  • willsommerswillsommers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 103
    edited June 2013
    The pack is a better value when you have more characters. If you plan on playing 3-4+ then it's def a much better value than the individual that just plays 1.

1 free respect on each char, mount, starter weapons, beginner lvl 60 weapon, more char slots, etc.

Otherwise, I'd just buy the cheapest zen mount and be done with it.
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    Just consider what you want in the game. Is it the companion, the mount, could that be bought for a cheaper price directly at the Zen Store. While many of the items are VERY USEFULL early on in the game, later they don't have the same purpose. You likely could buy the mount, companion at Zen store, and save some money.

I bought it, and I'm happy with it.

Thanks.

I'd love a drow, a real drow. But I'd like a drow exile better than just an elf.

I'd like the mount, but don't absolutely need it.

The companion, mask, etc. I don't really care about. Some of the minor items are really cool. I of course will like the AD, but I can get more AD if I just buy AD instead. The VIP (queue priority) is nice, but it doesn't apply to the Foundry servers from the looks of it, and we haven't had a queue since right around launch. No clue if we'll have one when they have big updates later?

The biggest draw for me is that I simply won't be able to get some of these items later. If everything in the Founder's pack was available later, I'd put it off (as I've done ever since open beta).

But then again I've been burned before. Examples: STO collector's edition and SWTOR collector's edition. However I did not regret my Diablo III collector's edition nor my LOTRO collector's edition. I did miss the LOTRO Lifetime subs years ago, and am regretting missing that since I hop in there a few times every year.
    The pack is a better value when you have more characters. If you plan on playing 3-4+ then it's def a much better value than the individual that just plays 1.

1 free respect on each char, mount, starter weapons, beginner lvl 60 weapon, more char slots, etc.

Otherwise, I'd just buy the cheapest zen mount and be done with it.

Thanks. :)
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • pelomixapelomixa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm running 2550 X 1650 and it runs great.
    edited June 2013
    pelomixa wrote: »

You mean 2560x1600. Which monitor do you have?

That's not a triple screen resolution.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

lol

where can one find a monitor like this
    edited June 2013
    lol

where can one find a monitor like this

It doesn't exist. I think he either misquoted my resolution, meant 2560x1600, or is fibbing. ;)

2560x1600 monitor are over $1k. The 2560x1440 monitors are $600 or less.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    edited June 2013
    2560x1600 benchmarks in BF3, ultra settings. Notice the 7870 alone isn't doing so great at the bottom. Even with my 680 at 2560x1600, I can't run absolute highest settings in most games if I want buttery smooth framerates of 60+.

BF3_02.png

...back on topic, anyone have any idea when Cryptic/PWE will stop selling the Founder's packs? I've been hearing rumors it is going to be very soon, but nothing confirmed.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    edited June 2013
    You mean 2560x1600. Which monitor do you have?

That's not a triple screen resolution.

Right you are, 2560 X 1600. I have two, a Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP as my main screen and a 27" ViewSonic. I've had the dell screen for 5 years, and it has a small line going down the middle nothing major, but since the extended warranty expired I'll just have to live with it. Very happy with the dell screen it was expensive but totally worth it imo.
    edited June 2013
    Right you are, 2560 X 1600. I have two, a Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP as my main screen and a 27" ViewSonic. I've had the dell screen for 5 years, and it has a small line going down the middle nothing major, but since the extended warranty expired I'll just have to live with it. Very happy with the dell screen it was expensive but totally worth it imo.

Ah. Yeah, I have a Dell 30" too for my main, but I have the Dell U3011 instead. It's the only one with a scaler for the 30" monitors when I bought it a while back. The HP and others were locked with no scaler, no on-screen control/menu either.

And lol... I spent a little over $1k on mine, but you spent $3k on yours a long time ago. That bites.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have a GTX 680, but on a first-gen Core i7 920. Looking to build a new system later with a GTX 780 or whatever is new at the time, but really want to wait for enthusiast line of the Haswell cores (whatever is after X79 chipset). I run at 2560x1600 for gaming (and two side monitors for desktop), so I need a pretty solid card and the 680 is fine right now.

You're going to be waiting a long time, considering that the Ivy Bridge -E's haven't even been released yet.
    edited June 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    You're going to be waiting a long time, considering that the Ivy Bridge -E's haven't even been released yet.

I know. It seems Intel likes to appease the mid-range market right now. I don't like the X79 chipset at all, sort of gimped with limited SATA3 and USB3 ports. So I'll be keeping my triple memory channel X58 for quite a while until the X79 successor arrives. The Z87 isn't that much of an upgrade from my current system. The only real advantage is SATA3.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    IB-E is going to be X79 again, I wouldnt be surprised if broadwell came out before Haswell-E
    edited June 2013
    Actually I got mine for like $1600.00, worked for a large company that purchased a lot from Dell and I got a good deal because we were in the process of purchasing some Equallogic hardware and my rep pretty much gave it to me.

Pelomixa
  • morfeddmorfedd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't buy HoN if I had it to do over again.

- The mount is nice
    - Queue priority applies only to the login queue - which hasn't existed since the first week of open beta
    - The companion is terrible - even after "fixes" I usually killed things before it gets around to pouncing
    - You get about $60 worth of AD
    - Starter weapon is quite nice and will make levels 5 to 15 or 20 pretty trivial
    - Level 60 weapon is nice and won't be replaced until you get T2 weapons
    - Drow will be available to others later this summer in all likelihood
    - 3 extra character slots
    - 12 slot bag
    - everything else is just fluff

So it boils down to: mount + $60 worth of AD + 2 weapons + extra character slots + small bag + <2 month headstart on Drow for $200
  • thestoryteller01thestoryteller01 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok, I'm really getting tempted to get the Hero of the North pack. Mostly for the mount and VIP (queue priority). The rest is just a bonus. I've resisted for a long time, completely free so far.

So please, any haters out there talk me out of it, lol! :)

Go get it, hon-ey ;)

For me its definitely not worth it but that doesn't mean it's generally a waste of money. Depends on how important NW is to you.
    In case you find my grammar or spelling weird ---> native german speaker ;)
  • banecrushrbanecrushr Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't spend another dime on the game until they show there actually going to FIX all the issues not with standing. Theres way to much wrong with the game ATM IMO to go spend that kind of money only to leave the game in a few months or less, due to the enept attitude from cryptic over actually fixing the game as is.
    Just my 2 cents.. and BTW I am sooo glad I didnt waste my money on a fonders pack or anything else these people are peddeling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Sir, were now surrounded"!
    Thats great news son, now we can attack from ALL sides"!
    edited June 2013
    banecrushr wrote: »
    I wouldn't spend another dime on the game until they show there actually going to FIX all the issues not with standing. Theres way to much wrong with the game ATM IMO to go spend that kind of money only to leave the game in a few months or less, due to the enept attitude from cryptic over actually fixing the game as is.
    Just my 2 cents.. and BTW I am sooo glad I didnt waste my money on a fonders pack or anything else these people are peddeling.

Good for you, you shouldn't regret anything you do. If you are unhappy I completely understand and respect your opinion. But keep in mind, we all have our own opinions, and deserve equal respect for those opinions.
  • kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I bought a Guardian pack to get into the Beta and a few days early access (it hit on a Saturday for me). It cost me $60 and I figured I got my moneys worth.

I took two characters to 60, equipped them fairly well and then took a two week holiday to the Caribbean.

I came back on the 15th June and haven't logged in since, although I do visit the forums daily.

Do I feel mad for buying a founders pack? No - I just see NW as an expensive box-set but at least it's free from now on.

Would I buy a pack again? No - however, if I was a new player, maybe I'd consider Guardian for the mount / companion / AD.
    edited June 2013
    morfedd wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy HoN if I had it to do over again.

- The mount is nice
    - Queue priority applies only to the login queue - which hasn't existed since the first week of open beta
    - The companion is terrible - even after "fixes" I usually killed things before it gets around to pouncing
    - You get about $60 worth of AD
    - Starter weapon is quite nice and will make levels 5 to 15 or 20 pretty trivial
    - Level 60 weapon is nice and won't be replaced until you get T2 weapons
    - Drow will be available to others later this summer in all likelihood
    - 3 extra character slots
    - 12 slot bag
    - everything else is just fluff

So it boils down to: mount + $60 worth of AD + 2 weapons + extra character slots + small bag + <2 month headstart on Drow for $200
    kimberix wrote: »
    Would I buy a pack again? No - however, if I was a new player, maybe I'd consider Guardian for the mount / companion / AD.
    Go get it, hon-ey ;)

For me its definitely not worth it but that doesn't mean it's generally a waste of money. Depends on how important NW is to you.

Thanks everyone. Nice to hear the opinions on it, and especially the breakdown after people have had it for a while.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Purchasing a Hero of the North Founder Pack would be the biggest waste of $200 in your life. You would be much better off giving $200 to a food bank or other charity in your area. Please.

Please do not financially support Perfect World Entertainment. This game is highway robbery masquerading as Free To Play. The only way PWE will learn they cannot release games that are this broken and limited would be for them to not make money.
  • wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    banecrushr wrote: »

My older brother and I both bought the $60 Founder's Packs and both of us deeply regret it. We are both hardcore gamers and D&D players with steady income--the exact audience PWE would want. Neverwinter is one of the last things we want to do with our free time.
    edited June 2013
    wolfrat14 wrote: »
    Purchasing a Hero of the North Founder Pack would be the biggest waste of $200 in your life. You would be much better off giving $200 to a food bank or other charity in your area. Please.

Please do not financially support Perfect World Entertainment. This game is highway robbery masquerading as Free To Play. The only way PWE will learn they cannot release games that are this broken and limited would be for them to not make money.

I respect your opinion however, donating to a food bank is a lot better way to spend 200 bucks. Of course there are those of us, who actually donate through organizations like Feeding South Florida. Having done so. I dont feel bad about giving Perfect World my money for a GAME that is essentially a waste of time. It is however a waste of time that I enjoy, and I would have done it again.

Thanks for your opinion :)
  • surfaksurfak Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    After at least sixty days from going live drow will be available to everyone but don't forget that is a different drow race.

Has there been any word on the Vanilla Drow appearance wise and their race bonus stat? I would assume it would be a lesser version than the Founder's Menzoberranzan appearance wise and probably won't come with the fairie fire ... guess we'll have to wait till and see.

Personally I don't think $200 is worth it. Maybe the 60 version for the horse and with the 600k you could get a stone (or used to before prices skyrocketed up).

Then again you could get a 110% horse for $25, and the stone for $20 and save yourself $15...it all depends on what you want/need. It's all about having fun with the game. You wouldn't want to feel buyers remorse and regret your decision. Base it on whether you like the game how it is now, because if your holing on to hope or desire more from the game then you'll probably regret your decision.
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter is one of the last things we want to do with our free time.

I'm still enjoying my time, but that time is spent making Foundry quests and playing Foundry quests. I realize the game as itself, except for a few dungeons, has little end-game content. I'm not worried about that.

Aside from Torchlight and Minecraft, this will be my first experience with an online game where I've enjoyed making content. It's a nice change of pace for me from UO, DAoC, WoW, DDO, LOTRO, AOC, SWTOR, GW1/2, etc. So I'm thinking of getting the pack since I can see myself spending more time here unlike other MMOs where you can't make any content.

I felt that way during our all-day Sunday downtime, during our 4-day long downtime of the Foundry Tools, etc. But if they can keep the servers up I'm very content with what Neverwinter has right now. And if they keep adding stuff, I look at it like a bonus instead of a necessity as I would in other MMOs.

But now I'm itching for the HotN. I know, I know, I should either get it or shut up about it. ;)
    surfak wrote: »
    Personally I don't think $200 is worth it. Maybe the 60 version for the horse and with the 600k you could get a stone (or used to before prices skyrocketed up).

Nothing in the $60 one is worth it to me, so I'm scratching that out of my options.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
  • darkshellknightdarkshellknight Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks.

I'd love a drow, a real drow. But I'd like a drow exile better than just an elf.

I'd like the mount, but don't absolutely need it.

The companion, mask, etc. I don't really care about. Some of the minor items are really cool. I of course will like the AD, but I can get more AD if I just buy AD instead. The VIP (queue priority) is nice, but it doesn't apply to the Foundry servers from the looks of it, and we haven't had a queue since right around launch. No clue if we'll have one when they have big updates later?

The biggest draw for me is that I simply won't be able to get some of these items later. If everything in the Founder's pack was available later, I'd put it off (as I've done ever since open beta).

But then again I've been burned before. Examples: STO collector's edition and SWTOR collector's edition. However I did not regret my Diablo III collector's edition nor my LOTRO collector's edition. I did miss the LOTRO Lifetime subs years ago, and am regretting missing that since I hop in there a few times every year.

Thanks. :)
    just be sure its what you want idk about cryptic but pwe is famous for saying something wont be available later on then a few months after that they release it again for everyone to buy lets just hope all those poor souls that bought the 200$ pack dont see people with bits of what they got for cheaper :P
  • lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    I did not get the founders pack.. I am studying, and if i had a job + proper income i would have gotten it. I got a wood elf now who i equipped nicely and i got attached to him :D - so, when the drow will hit, i might not change even though i would normally prefer drow. The AD is little for the price, that is true and a shame. also, if you just want any mount for every char you are ever gonna make you could just as well get a t3 mount from the zen-store (those are available for every and each of your chars as well - i got the howler :P) - i think it really comes down to how many chars you are going to make and how important 200 usd are for you. if you are going to make more toons, you want to support a game so that they - hopefully -improve the gameplay and 200 usd is no big deal for you, by all means enjoy yourself with a drow and a fancy VIP-mount :P