test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

End-Game Loot System Changes Ready for Testing Soon!

Comments

• Options
    zarnicuszarnicus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is a very bad idea! This is changing the rules in the middle of the game as far as I'm concerned. So many people have become rich with AD by running end-game dungeons and by the time I get to run end game dungeons, too bad, PWE changed it and I am locked out of a potential income source!

I am already unhappy at the currency system (so many different ones), the exploits on the AH that were ignored for so long until it affected real income with the Zen market, and the fact that you nerfed several classes in the name of balance instead of just buffing other classes.

You do this and I'm done with Neverwinter.

Such a shame
    Z
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Salvage vendor apparently gives between 2K and 10K AD.

So, essentially; free players are never going to be able to afford cash shop items.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    lasheslashes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You say I am exhibiting "shortsightedness" yet provide these beauties ...
    blaumker wrote: »
    What is the purpose of running dungeons solely for gear?

... um .... It's an MMORPG, not an FPS. Dungeons for gear is what we do in MMORPGs.
    What if you don't want to run dungeons at all

Again, very slowlyyy ... this ... is ... an ... M.M.O.R.P.G. MMORPG = Dungeons.
    What if you'd rather be ready, rather than an underperforming and embarrassing on your first runs?

L2P
    If people are bored because they caught the carrot, making the same carrot more of a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> isn't the fix. Rather, it's time for a new carrot which could come in the form of newer(and maybe more challenging) PvE content, better balanced and more enjoyable PvP, both, or a myriad of other things.

Exactly! ... So when you beat the game by getting to max level and fully geared with Epics ... wait for it!
    I know that when choosing whether or not I play, the fact that I don't yet have my purple pants will not be a factor. Knowing that I'd have to repeat the same content ad-nauseum to get them, however, could be a deal breaker.

mmorpg ... mmorpg ... mmorpg ...
  • Options
    fenixxxxfenixxxx Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lashes wrote: »

... um .... It's an MMORPG, not an FPS. Dungeons for gear is what we do in MMORPGs.

No. That's what YOU do in MMORPGs. That's not what I do. Grinding dungeons for gear is a stupid way to spend time. If you like it, that's fine. But don't tell others that it is fun.
  • Options
    iamsmokeyiamsmokey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    well, feedback of everyone says this is a bad idea... I agree... you cant remove boe than leave your over priced gem removals, if this goes ahead in the patch... you obviously don't really CARE OR LISTEN to your community what is the real reason to having a test shard if you aint going listen to your bad ideas are these people just qq cause they mad :S not the case...

therefore you already failed again like most company's when they don't listen to there community (and we all know how them games turned out) ... you already got all theses high reviews could be the number 1 f2p mmo..... wonder what REVIEWERS would say after the patch things are fine as they are

once you got your end game content and spent millions gemming it, what do you expect us to do with our time??
    lets do 20v20.... or wait there isn't any people who want to do this because THEY actually like MAKEING use OF the TIME they have to "PLAY" games!!

you think im going to waste my time playing a game when I cant even "PROGRESS" after I've got all my gear. i don't think you have really thought about it. what do people do in wow when they aint raiding??? they go offline or farm yeah this game has nothing to farm apart from GEMS and WELL GEAR...my point is your removing the main thing keeping the game alive.

BOE is so important and makes the game unique removing that removes a lot of hard-core gamers...

this is what you should be doing....

FIXING ALL DUNGEON EXPLIOTING...
    ADD MORE CASH SHOP ITEMS (bigger bags)...
    USE MORE MECHANICS in dungeons... current state is... fight this and stand out of the red aoe.
    ADD FREE MOUNTS UNLOCKABLES...
    ADD ACHIVEMENT REWARDS ( and a way to TRACK you achievement progress properly)..
    ADD duel AREA so you can DUEL fight..
    LOWER enchantments un-gem prices...
    ADD LEGENDARYS...
    MISSING GEAR ADD LEGS...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    fenixxxx wrote: »
    No. That's what YOU do in MMORPGs. That's not what I do. Grinding dungeons for gear is a stupid way to spend time. If you like it, that's fine. But don't tell others that it is fun.

It does not have to be a grind. Whether or not NW dungeons are a grind is a totally different argument altogether. Dungeons can be made interesting without making them a grind. If that's your complaint, then let's fix that, not the loot mechanic. This change is being implemented because there are players getting to max level and buying all of their Epic gear without needing to ever set foot in a dungeon. That is a broken game mechanic that was not intended by the developers that needs to be changed. If the posters on this board are not able to understand the need for change and pose their arguments by proposing change that takes into account the reason that is the cause of the change, then you are fighting an uphill battle.

I am sure the devs are open for solutions to the problem. They've already identified the status quo as broken. If you chose to rage rather than propose solutions that will bring about compromise, then you can only blame yourselves for fighting a losing battle.
  • Options
    iamsmokeyiamsmokey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am sure the devs are open for solutions to the problem. They've already identified the status quo as broken. If you chose to rage rather than propose solutions that will bring about compromise, then you can only blame yourself for fighting a losing battle.[/QUOTE]

yeah they should add a new dungeon score system. where you have to complete so many and certain dungeons bosses to be able to unlock the next new dungeon... with GEAR score still being in use so even if you unlock the dungeon you still need to gain the gear.
    only implement this with the dungeons you get, your helm, chest, feet, arms.. than also unlocking the dungeon means unlocking the ability to wear the gear than you can buy it and wear it.. if you buy it and haven't unlocked the dungeon than simply says you don't meet the requirements to wear that gear yet please unlock spell plague ts dungeons etc... FIX
  • Options
    fenixxxxfenixxxx Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This change is being implemented because there are players getting to max level and buying all of their Epic gear without needing to ever set foot in a dungeon. That is a broken game mechanic .

First of all, I disagree that it's a broken game mechanic. There's nothing wrong for players to be able to buy top loot without farming it. There were tons of successful MMOs that allow it. GW1, DAOC just of top of my head.

Second, there is an issue that the change rewards the early rushers. THEY got everything, they can have tons of super rare BoE pieces that they can sell for astronomical prices after change. Anyone who did not rush gets a shaft.

Third, I don't rage. There are serious RL things to rage about. This is just another stupid MMO. /yawn/ Should leave this thread for real ragers :P
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    iamsmokey wrote: »
    yeah they should add a new dungeon score system. where you have to complete so many and certain dungeons bosses to be able to unlock the next new dungeon... with GEAR score still being in use so even if you unlock the dungeon you still need to gain the gear.
    only implement this with the dungeons you get, your helm, chest, feet, arms.. than also unlocking the dungeon means unlocking the ability to wear the gear than you can buy it and wear it.. if you buy it and haven't unlocked the dungeon than simply says you don't meet the requirements to wear that gear yet please unlock spell plague ts dungeons etc... FIX

See, I imagine ideas like this are more helpful to the devs than the ... "this is fail i quit" threads.

My suggestion is a combination of tokens for Epics and a random chance of an Epic drop in dungeons to keep things interesting. After acquiring a certain amount of tokens, all players have the ability to acquire their Epic pieces. This keeps players interested and doing dungeons. Dungeons dwellers can also be rewarded with random AD drops, titles, enchants, etc. There really are so many ways to make dungeons interesting and rewarding. I'm not sure why they are making this so hard.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    fenixxxx wrote: »
    Second, there is an issue that the change rewards the early rushers. THEY got everything, they can have tons of super rare BoE pieces that they can sell for astronomical prices after change. Anyone who did not rush gets a shaft.

This is the one glaring problem that has magnified the intensity of every other problem in the game. Critical exploits have had an astronomical impact on the game's economy and game play sentiment, whether the devs want to admit it or not.
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    That is a broken game mechanic that was not intended by the developers that needs to be changed.

Broken? Sure is. Unintended? Not by a long shot. The devs are the ones that made the AH, and the ones that made all that gear BoE in the first place - it was certainly intended. They just didn't realize how terrible an idea it is to make EVERYTHING BoE, that's all.
  • Options
    saborwsaborw Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Bind On Pickup if you roll need
    Bind on Equip if you roll greed

Or make it so people not of the class the item is for not able to roll Need at all, for good measure

Simple as that
  • Options
    etveretver Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I still can't understand the reasons behind this decision (except the obvious reason to earn more money that is), but since it most likely won't be canceled i have some suggestions

The problem is not even in loot system, but in dungeons themselves. Now, with these upcoming changes it's more like - "oh, i have to play the same boring stuff 100 times again istead of 10"

The epicness of the item for me is determined not by it's color, but rather how rare it drops, so i can suggest the developers change all current t1 epic sets from epic to rare, this will allow fresh 60 lvl player to gear up on auction, and at the same time we will still have current t2 epics as rare drops.

Alternatively, we can have multiple versions of different gear with slight difference in stats, much like seal items now - those who want epics will farm them, and those who can be satisfied with mediocre perfomance will still get it from the auction.

But, firstly you have to fix all the current dungeons (exploits, difficulty level), because if they will still be mindless trash-cleaning feast, i'm afraid no one will want to even enter them.
  • Options
    gnominiongnominion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    I apologize if I am reiterating what some others have said. I didn't feel like reading 56 pages of "I don't like this" and "You're killing the game" posts. I believe I see both sides of the argument. For me personally, most of the BoP I have mixed feelings on. The seal items however, I don't agree on (but then I believe the seal system is flawed and should be revamped).

As for the salvage I am all for it. I say sell it for AD and convert them to ZEN via the exchange. Now you have away to spend your AD. Get better bags, get more bank slots buy dyes and play with the way your toon looks. There is a lot that you can do with AD. Try and calculate how much maxing the enhancements can be. It can cost you a lot. Or, best of all, spend it on keys for those darn lock boxes. you know you want to see what is inside. I mean, who wouldn't? But I digress.

I think the need/greed change was awesome and well over due. I believe this is a good step in the right direction. Is it the right step maybe not or maybe it is. Everyone is judging it before trying it. The one thing I love about cryptic, is that they listen. Instead of just saying no way, how about giving some feed back of a way that could work better. For example:

Say you have 3 guardian fighters in a group. A purple item just dropped, two GF have the purple item already. They all choose need, and now one of them has two of the same item. Is that fair for the third GF that doesn't have the item yet to lose out to a person that is just going to sell it? Even if that person isn't going to sell it but give it to a friend who didn't try for it would that be fair? Wouldn't that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you off a bit? I know it would me. So how about this as a possible solution to prevent this from happening and not have a BoP implemented...How about if the person already has the item, that they can't select need. That would be more fair and address concerns from both sides of the argument.

But then, these are just my thoughts.
  • Options
    relnorelno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I just want to thank the devs!

I was really thinking about getting a founders pack last minute and some zen.
    And now I can finally make a decision, thanks to those news.

There is no way now, that I spend a cent on this game.
    It had great potential, but it doesnt take a genius what this is all about.

Now you can get end game stuff from
    1. grinding
    2. zen-shop
    3. players via AH

With those changes, you can only get end game stuff from
    1. grinding
    2. zen-shop

Also, a major source of AD revenue is take away from players.

I m so glad I didnt spend anything on this game, with that money grab, only p2w players and fanatics will stay.
    To those 2 groups: Have fun waiting an hour for a pick up group...

And to the devs: Well done, it is quite some achievement to make a game much worse on launch, then it was in some beta stages...
  • Options
    kinniphkinniph Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't understand all the negative feedback. In other MMOs that are worth it most epic/fabled gear is BoP.

1. It makes it so you know who can play well. Now you have toons running around with a GS of 10k that don't know what half their skills do and don't understand how to play.

2. It's just progression. Right now you can ding 60 buy gear and go to CN. You should have to progress and earn the right and take time to learn how to play harder zones. People rage quit all the time because they can't handle a death in a dungeon. Groups would learn how to play as a group better.

If you cry about not having enough time to play because of work to bad. You should know better. Does crying work to get promoted if they tell you have to earn the right to become a manager/superviser or cry if you want a raise after a week of work? For most it probably doesn't. Sadly the carebears are the one that get listened too all to much. They want all the epic loots without the work.
  • Options
    forumrichardforumrichard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stop fretting everyone, I have seen this before. Once they implement this self destructive idea a new one will soon follow.

Once they realize that this will crash not only the economy, the zen exchange, but also their income; they will come in with a “we have heard your requests and have answered your calls, new to the zen market are unbinding scrolls” and you will be able to unbind your BoP gear for zen.

My suggestion.

Fix the foundry,
    the random disconnects,
    the ability to see the fight in a closed area instead of your toon on one side of the wall and the camera on the other,
    re-spawn points that work instead of being 3 campfires back,
    the orb quest in Mt. Hotenow where the quest tracker leads you into a wall. (easy fix by the way, rename orb 3 to orb 1 and all is right)

I have 4 toons, used the first to gear the second, the first and second to gear the third and so on. All my toons are working different professions and yes, I am buying zen. But this idea will stop me from making anymore toons.

I run with a group that helps each other. We trade gear between us to help grow and better our game experience. I love the idea of BoP if NEED is rolled, but BoP because it is T2 purple... Give me a break, just a way for PWE to make money later, I am sure they are thinking ahead.
  • Options
    leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Your so called care bears and casuals are the people that fund MMO's these days my friend. The working folks who don't have time to spend 6-12 hours a day grinding out gear spend MONEY on it. You run casuals off by making it extremely difficult to get gear and what do you have left? A server that's a ghost town, that's what. You have 373 hardcore players left when you could have tens and hundreds of thousands. This change goes live as is, it will decimate this game. You want top end gear BoP? Fine, make the stuff from CN all BoP. Make the gauntlegrym sets better then the current t2 sets and make them all BoP. Add another tier of PVP gear and make that BoP. But leave the seal, current entry level crappy pvp gear, T1 and T2 as is. If the change would be done that way I firmly believe it would have the intended effect of stabilizing things as I think the devs are trying to do annnnnd keep most of the playerbase happy all around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
  • Options
    roninthehoodroninthehood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    BOP is awesome. It is needed and BADLY. My only beef is they should of known it before and should of had it in game before open beta. will take a few months to balance better now
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Most items BoP at launch (real launch, not this flag waving no wipe nonsense) = perfectly fine
    Waiting til Beta players made millions of AD taking advantage of untested content = horrendous
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    adhal81adhal81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So hold on... you get rid of the largest AD sink in game, and add a way to add AD to game....

Your trying to make this game fail aren't you.

Massive inflation inc!

Lets not forget how many people are going to quit cause most of the content is unpuggable and requires a experienced group.... oh but once they get the gear there is no motivation to waste hard to obtain gold on potions and injury kits. Fail.

Once more just to get it out there. Fail.
  • Options
    adhal81adhal81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    BOP is awesome. It is needed and BADLY. My only beef is they should of known it before and should of had it in game before open beta. will take a few months to balance better now

Yep and then none of that AD from the Exploits would be sunk, 10m AD would be nothing, and new players would laugh when they realized it and go play something else.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kinniph wrote: »
    I don't understand all the negative feedback. In other MMOs that are worth it most epic/fabled gear is BoP.

This is precisely the reason a lot of people liked Neverwinter to begin with: Because it wasn't a 100% clone of "other MMOs". However it's being turned into that with nearly each patch they implement.

In addition to Neverwinter I play another MMO and am in a raiding guild. If I was going to have the same experience in Neverwinter I more than likely wouldn't have bothered in the first place.I liked it because it was more casual oriented and I didn't have to do the same event dozens of times just to get geared up because obviously doing the same content over and over and over means you've "earned" your gear. Which is a laughable notion.

If it was in place from the beginning that would be a different matter but this game has been in alpha, closed beta and open beta for how many months and only just now they think it's good to change? If you can't see why some people would offer negative feedback due to that you're not trying very hard.

Not to throw in the with conspiracy theorists but it does almost seem like you'll be seeing an unbind item in the zen store not long after this change goes into effect.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kinniph wrote: »

1. It makes it so you know who can play well. Now you have toons running around with a GS of 10k that don't know what half their skills do and don't understand how to play.

2. It's just progression. Right now you can ding 60 buy gear and go to CN. You should have to progress and earn the right and take time to learn how to play harder zones. People rage quit all the time because they can't handle a death in a dungeon. Groups would learn how to play as a group better.

If you cry about not having enough time to play because of work to bad. You should know better. Does crying work to get promoted if they tell you have to earn the right to become a manager/superviser or cry if you want a raise after a week of work? For most it probably doesn't. Sadly the carebears are the one that get listened too all to much. They want all the epic loots without the work.

What your failing to realize is every million sold on the AH sinks 100k + posting fees, meaning it gets rid of AD so its not piling up and up like in other MMOs. Now add into that the salvaging which will add thousands of refined AD per hour...

GG, inflation be thy name. Economy destroyed.

Oh but hey you can still spend your AD on ZEN ITEMS!!!

Also gear does not symbolize skill, skill symbolizes skill. Even in MMOs with BoP people still can buy items, only now it turns to behind the counter deals that don't sink AD.
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sounds good, give the game some longevity
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    antovaras wrote: »
    Sounds good, give the game some longevity

Longevity isn't really the word I would use to describe the effect of terrible luck and weeks of doing the same boss fight hoping for 1 specific piece of loot.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The BEST way to implement this type of system would be do do BOTH BoE and BoP items...

Option 1) Have anything gained from a Delves chest BoP, this diminishes the "free" loot that hits the economy and is mainly only used as a second way for each player to get more loot. Anything that drops off bosses should be BoE, the AH is the main money sink in the game.

Option 2) Implement a "random roller" that will randomly determine if it is BoE or BoP. Some items that will drop will be BoE, some will be BoP (thinking end game only here). This way it makes it harder to just buy items, but items will still be up for sale. This not only gives hardcore players incentive to get the items themselves but also increases prices on the AH since its now harder to get the gear... Sometimes people who run the content will already have the gear that drops but guess what, its BoP so they can only salvage it and not AH it for more AD... Makes BoE items REALLY valuable for need/greed rolls also makes BoP rolls only valuable to the person who grabbed them since the AD will be trivial.

OVERALL: LOVE the salvage idea, dislike the pure BoP idea. Do a hybrid approach! Either 1 or 2.
  • Options
    axle100axle100 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    great, taking a great mmo imo, and turning it into another cookie cutter mmo. the rich keep getting richer and the poor get poorer. BoP is the single WORST mmo feature in my opinion. If it was actually worth something to salvage it it wouldnt be so bad, but 8k for it is a slap in the face. im gone definitly if this come out. wish i hadnt spent any money either getting a few cool things because i thought this was a game that wouldnt screw the playerbase. guess i was wrong. back to the PS3 for me. no more of this mmo garbage :P
  • Options
    axle100axle100 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    hey, i got an idea. give everyone 1million free ad since other people got to make billions off of your game exploit. or maybe i should just buy AD from a seller. they prolly made it through the AH exploit. i should only get a 72hr ban because thats all the people who ruined the game economy got right? i fail to see how cryptic and PW are trying to make this game better at all.
  • Options
    devlinnedevlinne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, after much irritation. i finally found MY fun. whatever will come will come...
    ME? I simply just got into a guild (which i said would happen if this changes came) That are ALL decked out maxed level 60s with full enchants and gear. 200+ strong members and growing.

Have fun NEW players in open PVP gauntyl and regular pvp. Also have FUN being undergeared and running epic dungeouns.
    Mine and me will have our own fun^^ lets see how the new players like it. better HIDE IN A HOLE somewhere and don't think of ANY pvp content^^

GL gearing up^^ Bye.
    PITY,REGRET, AND MERCY are just EXCUSES for the strong not to kill the weak!
This discussion has been closed.