test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player Challenge: Make the Neverwinter Chat Ban System Better.

Comments

• Options
    aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Originally Posted by biffsmackwell
    4. Ignores/Spam Reports that are not given through a chat channel should not offer demerits to an account. This is how people abuse the system. One guy tells all his friends to search for @personName in the social window, right click their name, and hit Report Spam, and suddenly out of nowhere, someone's muted even though they said nothing.
    imivo wrote: »
    I didn't realize this was possible, and assumed that it can only be done through someone's Zone chat post or another form of actual communication. This is definitely the #1 tweak that would probably address the majority of abuse cases.
    ^-- Also agree,I would say the majority of the false bans occur with this method, although its a minority of the bans in general.

targetted muted is broken, I also think adding other chat channels would get rid of people feeling hey were falsely muted, or others wrongfully muting someone just because of what they typed, even though they didnt actually spam.

people will still spam WTSs, they will still be reported, they will still be banned, However it would greatly reduce howmany get wrongfully banned and after I think it would work as intended - more often.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. Make a trade channel and a looking for group channel.
    2. Disable linkable items in zone chat. No purple, blue or green, no one will pay attention. It will fix itself.
    3. Put a limit on how many messages you can post in a time frame.
    4. Review the bans. Some get through that are unjustified.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    3. If possible, make it so Ignore also disables your ability to see the character and the special effects of his/her powers. Make them invisible and inaudible.

This is great.

~~~

So many great ideas already folks!

Keep those ideas churning!!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    sorunesorune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    3. If possible, make it so Ignore also disables your ability to see the character and the special effects of his/her powers. Make them invisible and inaudible.
    Agree on this one. It would be extremely helpful in the moonstone mask (or other RP location) when some bored 'child' is constantly spamming weapon/spell effects on top of folks who are simply attempting to have a conversation.

I would like to third this one. It's something I've wanted as an augment to the ignore system, but didn't think it relevant to the current conversation. But hey, if others are gonna bring it up...
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sorune wrote: »
    I would like to third this one. It's something I've wanted as an augment to the ignore system, but didn't think it relevant to the current conversation. But hey, if others are gonna bring it up...

/Fourthed.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At the very very very least, 'ignore' shouldn't silence people. People are ignoring folks without realizing it's a silence effect, and then have no recourse other than 'close my chat window' or 'contribute toward shutting this person's communications down.'

If there must be a chat ban, it should NOT include guild communication. Mail and /tell should be permitted to people who have the banee on their friends list.

Overall, I favor simply not having an automated chat ban of ANY kind -- if I want to ignore a spammer, I can just use /ignore. Report Spam should flag accounts for human/GM consideration.

Yes, it's not as 'fast,' but /ignore is good enough otherwise.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I love this idea, but I would like to stipulate this invisibility is only in Protector's Enclave and other non-combat zones. It wouldn't be right is I saw enemies just inexplicably dieing out in the wilds because someone I'd ignored was killing them.
  • Options
    aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2013
    Here are somethings I think would help:
    -Add individual chat channels for gathering a party [lfg], one for trading, possibly even one for 'newer' people to ask questions which would be global, all with a wait time of 30~60seconds between messages
    -Moderators that review reports, even if they are volunteers, which of course require interviewing and a way to report them if it's ever abused
    -Ignore and report not being tied together
    -Punish report abuser
  • Options
    haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. Each player account has a running point total.

2. Each report against an account made has a point score, based on the type of report. Points range from 1 to 3.
    -- Report for repetitive posting spam is one point.
    -- Report for content is two points.
    -- Report for RMT is three points.
    -- Ignores are worth no points, ever. Ignoring is a person-to-person measure which should not have any wider consequences.

3. Keep a listing of the last N valid reporters against an account.

4. Once per hour check each account and sunset any report listing older than X Days
    -- When a report is sunsetted, its point score is removed from the account's running total.

5. A report against an account is valid if and only if:
    -- the reporter has not been chat-banned in the last 24 hours.
    -- the reporter is not already on the list of prior reporters against this account
    -- The reporter is not friended to any other reporter already listed against this account
    -- The reporter is not guilded to any other reporter already listed against this account
    -- The account being reported is not currently chat-banned.
    -- Other criteria as determined by the development team (e.g., a few seconds reporting cooldown for reporter or reported.)

6. If the point total on the list exceeds 20, the account receives a ban.
    -- If the account has not been chat banned in the last 24 hours, it receives an initial 1 hour chat ban. At the end of the chat ban, the account's running total is reduced by one point.
    -- If the account has been chat-banned in the prior 24 hours, then it receives a 24 hour chat ban. At the end of the 24 hours, the account's running total is reduced by one point.

7. All reports of any kind are passed/not-passed to customer service as they presently are. This system does not replace customer service.

This is the best I can think of on short notice. It's entirely automated and is resistant to a group of friends or guildmates gang-reporting someone. It's prompt, yet quickly forgiving once one no longer is being reported. The bans are graduated so that they don't overly impact someone the first time, but hit hard (as they do now) on the second offense in a day.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. seperate the IGNORE PERSON from REPORT SPAM. This way people will not be getting chat banned becasue people don't like them.

2. for all those people saying there should be more channels. Look for Morbic's posts, his signature has a thread for CREATING channels, also a list of current NW channels.
    Yes, you can make your own and LFG and trade channels have already been made at the start of Open beta. You haven't found them becasue you are used to having fixed channels.

amendment to previous poster: pts total per game or over all games. You can use the same acct on all PWE/cryptic games.

see all it took was having a large new game get hit with chat bans for Cryptic to finally think about changing this, after years of asking. Hopefully it will be instituted in the other two cryptic games too
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It has effectively blocked countless spam attempts, and is an instrumental tool that improves the quality of life in Neverwinter.

However, some have voiced their dissatisfaction with this tool for various reasons

While I'm glad the devs are finally tackling this, let me point out the obvious reasons:

Anyone who has met, you know, people, can see this can be easily used to grief folks, or to shut down anyone who annoys you. Further, since it's tied to /ignore, most people familiar with other games have no idea they are spam-banning folks they ignore.

Finally, it's used by people to shut down people who annoy them, not spammers in particular.

As for 'it's very rarely abused,' I imagine the reason it looks like that is because tickets on the topic are generally closed or ignored. It doesn't take that happening very often before people give up reporting it.

If Devs need some convincing that it's a serious issue, have them go talk to the Champions folks who have dealt with the system the longest. (Folks there have taken to having Costume Contests without public notice, because griefers will shut down the judges)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    it's fine the way it is with 1 change, just chatban /zone and /say channels instead of all.

also ffs DEFAULT TRADE CHANNEL!
  • Options
    clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    it's fine the way it is with 1 change, just chatban /zone and /say channels instead of all.

Agreed, at least that way the person can still send tells to friends and chat with guild/group if they are banned incorrectly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, as the Cryptic team originally designed the chat system for City of Heroes, perhaps some form of that system can be incarnated here. (See what I did there? :) )

The ability for a player to mute someone must be stripped away. Ignore is more than adequate. Report spam should do just that. Report it for moderation. Both functions keep the ignore function, but only report spam moves it up the chain, so to speak. In essence, remove the automated silencing portion and leave that part up to a moderator. Someone impartial, who can plainly see what is RMT spam, abusive talk, racial slurs, etc.

Any inclusion of a silencing portion of the chat system will lead to its abuse. Guaranteed. Therefore, it is mandatory that it be removed.

Whatever change is instituted here absolutely must be ported to the other two Cryptic games.

I stipulate that zone chat is for anything game related. Now, that includes advertising your guild, advertising for groups..and yes. Advertising for sales and trades. Especially in the central hub. (Because Lord knows, all three of those subjects are spammed endlessly in Protector's Enclave, but only the sales ones are being complained about. That's bias, and it's wrong.)

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Simple: reset the timer with an exponential counter as such:

Leave everything the way it is RIGHT NOW. However, rather than a 24-hour ban, set it to a 30 minute ban.
    If I were able to (in a relatively simplified way in code) implement a counter, then a repeat ban trigger the same day turns into a 60 minute ban, the next turns into a full 36-hour ban (three strikes and all that). (If they get to that point they KNOW what they are doing is wrong)

If I were a real coding guru, I'd also implement a difference in system triggers: If the temporary bans are triggered by MUTE requests, then it works as above. If it is triggered by "SPAM" reports, then it immediately goes to a 2 hour ban; if banned again for SPAM within a 24-hour period, then it goes to a 36 hour ban - PROVIDED the player can still request help from a GM to plead their case

RESULT: People innocently banned will only have to suffer 30 minutes (doable). Repeat offenders will then suffer a more severe restriction, etc.

This way the system can still be automated without human intervention (read: resources) - those innocents can deal with it, those who are genuine spammers will be curbed immediately (satisfying the throngs who muted them) and the flat-out abusers will still get their comeuppance.

TL;DR: within a 24 hour period, clock starts at first offense: 30 minutes; second offense: 60 minutes; third offense: three days (with ability to request GM support in-game).
  • Options
    fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Only players who have actually made a cash purchase with their account can apply a mark for a chat ban.

A totally unpaid or throwaway account should never have the ability to chat ban a paying customer.

If you use the Report Spam feature, bring up a confirmation window that reminds the user that abuse of this feature is a bannable offense.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    haelra wrote: »
    I love this idea, but I would like to stipulate this invisibility is only in Protector's Enclave and other non-combat zones. It wouldn't be right is I saw enemies just inexplicably dieing out in the wilds because someone I'd ignored was killing them.

I could certainly live with this restriction. It makes a lot of sense not to ignore folks out in the field.

In a place like the Mask, however, I think it would be a godsend.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I believe a "temp ban" should still be in the system but only after the following.

"report spam" will log where the user is coming from (IP + account) Since they are already put on ignore list for us, it won't happen anymore, but if a user get around 100, then impose a 30 minute ban and the logs are send to CS rep for review.

It is "unlikely" 100 players will get together and report spam on a single person BUT if it does, it also put the players who have "report spam" to see if there is a trend. (i.e. player just report anyone just because) this will police BOTH side of the fence.

Note: this only effect "Report spam" not "ignore" function. people can ignore anyone they choose, but should care when using report spam function.

another option is that if you have more GM who can "pop in" after say over 200 report spam in a single turn to see the situation and let the invisible GM ban them instead.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    What I would implement:

- Make chat bans dependent on where the "report spam" tokens were accumulated. If posts in the Zone chat accumulated the majority of the "report spam" reports, the 24h ban should affect only the Zone chat. If it was through whispers, only whispers should be affected. Guild chat should never be affected.

- Add a cooldown for reports. If a player is reporting 20 people for spamming within five minutes, the problem is probably with this player, not with the reported person. The cooldown should increase depending on how frequently the command is used. The command-using player should not be told whether their report contributed to the target getting muted. If the command is on an internal cooldown, the target should only be ignored locally.

- Treat "ignore" and "report spam" differently. The former should only affect what the player sees on their screen, not what the ignored player can do. Only "report spam" should affect the target's ability to use communication features. Add a "report inappropriate behavior" option and treat it like "report spam", but log it differently for potential future use.

- Make the ignore portion of both commands account wide for the user who submitted the reports. If I ignore someone with character A, I should not need to ignore them with character B again.

- Only count "report spam" reports from characters that are level 20-30, not below. "Report spam" from lower level characters should be treated like a plain "ignore" command and have no global effect.

- Start chat bans at 2 hours and then escalate them to 8 and 24 hours (or 8, 12, 24). Resetting once a week.

This.
    This plan would work well without any additional personnel.
    Great post, dude!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    haelra wrote: »
    1. Each player account has a running point total.

2. Each report against an account made has a point score, based on the type of report. Points range from 1 to 3.
    -- Report for repetitive posting spam is one point.
    -- Report for content is two points.
    -- Report for RMT is three points.
    -- Ignores are worth no points, ever. Ignoring is a person-to-person measure which should not have any wider consequences.

3. Keep a listing of the last N valid reporters against an account.

4. Once per hour check each account and sunset any report listing older than X Days
    -- When a report is sunsetted, its point score is removed from the account's running total.

5. A report against an account is valid if and only if:
    -- the reporter has not been chat-banned in the last 24 hours.
    -- the reporter is not already on the list of prior reporters against this account
    -- The reporter is not friended to any other reporter already listed against this account
    -- The reporter is not guilded to any other reporter already listed against this account
    -- The account being reported is not currently chat-banned.
    -- Other criteria as determined by the development team (e.g., a few seconds reporting cooldown for reporter or reported.)

6. If the point total on the list exceeds 20, the account receives a ban.
    -- If the account has not been chat banned in the last 24 hours, it receives an initial 1 hour chat ban. At the end of the chat ban, the account's running total is reduced by one point.
    -- If the account has been chat-banned in the prior 24 hours, then it receives a 24 hour chat ban. At the end of the 24 hours, the account's running total is reduced by one point.

7. All reports of any kind are passed/not-passed to customer service as they presently are. This system does not replace customer service.

This is the best I can think of on short notice. It's entirely automated and is resistant to a group of friends or guildmates gang-reporting someone. It's prompt, yet quickly forgiving once one no longer is being reported. The bans are graduated so that they don't overly impact someone the first time, but hit hard (as they do now) on the second offense in a day.

This is a very sensible Idea. At first I didn't even realize that ignore was contributing to chat bans, I just thought it meant I didn't have to read what they were typing...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How about not silencing the banned person from tells minimally and probably even party chat. Only silence them from the more public chat?
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Eliminate the silencing. It is currently being abused and will always be abused as long as it is in player hands. I fail to see the point of it in the first place. If something is bothering a player, it takes milliseconds to hit "ignore" and then they no longer see the person that was bothering them. Problem solved.

Gold spammers are a different situation and should be reported via the spam report button. There should be a live person checking into those.
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    Here's an idea, since the game already has a bad words filter, why not use something similar that looks for terms like WTS and WTB and automatically chatbans users that use them so the players don't have to.

This is just asinine. WTB and WTS are part of the community/game as is LFG. Unless/until there is a designated Cryptic/PWE Trade Channel and LFG channel those things should be part of zone chat.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Upon rereading the question posed in the thread's title I realize that the only way to make the current system, "better," is to eliminate it. Allowing player A to decide what player B is or is not allowed to read in game is beyond redemption.

not. it's called community moderation and it works extremely well, ie Craigslist. sure some people get unfairly flagged but the system works 99%+ the time which is much more successful than if you left it up to moderators who would never.. never ever be able to police every zone in every game 24/7 etc..
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Has anyone thought to tell the kids over in STO that they arnt the favorite child anymore?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Member Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do we really need the 'Air Guitar emote' rage gain?
    Oh wait!! NW got that emote for FREE! When that happened in CO, they took it way, because STO's had to pay for it and raged.
    :rolleyes:
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    not. it's called community moderation and it works extremely well, ie Craigslist. sure some people get unfairly flagged but the system works 99%+ the time which is much more successful than if you left it up to moderators who would never.. never ever be able to police every zone in every game 24/7 etc..

Again, why in the world should anyone be silenced for 24 hours? Why do you feel the need to inflict punishment on someone because they said something in Zone chat that you didn't like? If you don't like it, hit IGNORE and then you don't have to see it anymore. IGNORE should NOT silence people. In fact, PLAYERS, should not be able to silence people just as they SHOULDN'T be able to kick people from dungeons. Whoever came up with this cockamamie system in the first place really didn't consider the repercussions.
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1) Leave the current chat ban system in place.

2) Add an official fully supported WTS/T/B and LFG channel that everyone has easy access to.

If someone spams WTS/WTB/WTT/LFG outside of the sanctioned channels then once 20 players report the spam then they are effected with a 24 server wide chat ban (punish them for spamming <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> no one wants to hear outside of those interested in that subject IE buy/selling/trading/grouping). If there is no punishment or it is not sever enough then no one will really care and will continue to find ways to spam.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    1. Report spam stays the way it is, people are spamming and well.. I want to report them. They need to learn that the behavior is not acceptable. Their need is not more important than another.

2. Ignore user should not send a chat ban flag.

3. Prevent characters under -insert needed level- from typing in Protector's Enclave zone and say and emote chat. This will weed out the level whatever gold bots, hopefully.

4. Auto throttle. Prevent anyone from sending more than x amount of message per y. It will auto implement and once a minute or so has passed, they can post again.

5. Prevent simple action emotes from reading out, i.e. Sister Vanity sit or, Sister Vanity sit RandomNamedPersonJustHappenedBy
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So sloppy dev gets paid, i come up with a better system, i get a better system in game, sloppy dev stillget paid.

No thanks
    do your own job.