test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Player Challenge: Make the Neverwinter Chat Ban System Better.

Comments

• kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    here is the link to the list of channels currently in use
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?206631-Guide-Custom-Channel-Creation-Joining-and-List

if you create a new one, please message them, so they can add it to the list
  • wildswannwildswann Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The simplest way is make one change to the current system so the 24hr ban only applies to the Zone chat channel not whisper/guild/party channels.

It's probably pointless to bother with trade/lfg channels the norm in most games I've played is the majority don't bother to use them anyway.
  • squidheadjaxsquidheadjax Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    A couple of suggestions

1. Rather than an automatic ban have it send a priority ticket to a CS operative to check if it does justify a ban and have them act accordingly.
    2. Monitor the system and set a weight on report spam by the amount of false reports people are sending, someone who is using it incorrectly doesn't count as much as someone who only uses it to report gold sellers. (I.e. players are weighted 1-10 with a score of 100+ being required for a chat ban, players start at 5, someone who abuses te system scores less, someone who only reports Gold Sellers scores more).
    3. Monitor the system and issue warnings and penalties to people who use it incorrectly.

1 and 3. I'm not sure why we really need to go beyond this. It wouldn't even be a problem if people got some really naggy warning windows when they get reported a bunch, either. But silence/banning needs to be a live human with accountability (so possibly volunteers, in a properly arranged system, but not the mob).
    SQUIRREL!
  • chelseacraftchelseacraft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is this brand new starting today after the update? Because I have no idea what you people are talking about. Both Mindflayer and Dragon server chat is 90% spamming. People like myself trying to answer newcomer questions find it nearly impossible because chat is completely overrun with spam.

When you are selling something, looking for a party for an instance, or asking a question and you hit the up arrow then enter key every 5 to 10 seconds for an hour... THAT is spamming.

I probably have half the server at any given time on ignore because this is all anyone ever does. There is nothing BUT spam. We need separate channels for trade, looking for party, and general chat.
  • nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is this brand new starting today after the update? Because I have no idea what you people are talking about. Both Mindflayer and Dragon server chat is 90% spamming. People like myself trying to answer newcomer questions find it nearly impossible because chat is completely overrun with spam.

When you are selling something, looking for a party for an instance, or asking a question and you hit the up arrow then enter key every 5 to 10 seconds for an hour... THAT is spamming.

I probably have half the server at any given time on ignore because this is all anyone ever does. There is nothing BUT spam. We need separate channels for trade, looking for party, and general chat.

Been around for a while. 20+ /ignores = 24 hour ban automatically. Some people are abusing it...
    edited June 2013
    Trade adn LFG channels already exist along with a lot of others. IN cryptic games they are player created.

Search Morbic posts, his signature has a link to the channel list, as well as how to make your own channel and to join other channels

Only a small minority of players use player created channels. The reality is that people all sit in zone chat & spam because that is how they reach the most people. It is common sense.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Member Posts: 3,514 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I probably have half the server at any given time on ignore because this is all anyone ever does.

FYI, you're contributing to a chat ban with every single person you ignore.

Not that it's not your right, more power to ya.
    edited June 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    Been around for a while. 20+ /ignores = 24 hour ban automatically. Some people are abusing it...

Reading the original post is like reading something about a totally different game not the game I'm playing. Zone chat = SPAM. Nothing but spam.

Using up arrow to say the exact same thing 100 times in 15 minutes is spam... I don't care what you are saying. Your desire to find a party for an instance is IRRELEVANT to other players who need or want to use zone chat too. (I'm using "you" in the general public sense... not directing that at a specific person)

This is a sense of entitlement issue. Players selling or looking for party have wants and desires they want filled instantly. When they do not get a response and have their immediate desire filled instantly they get an attitude that they are going to get their way and everyone else in the zone chat has to just deal with seeing them repeat their request or sales pitch over and over.

Like buying enchanted key for 10 gold. No one is going to respond to that. Repeating yourself 500 times an hour on zone is SPAM.

90% of the chat on zone are players like this. They can't handle being ignored by the community because no one wants what they are asking for. So they just keep saying it over and over. They deserve a chat ban for it. That is NOT abusing the system. If the game wants to add spam channels for trade & looking for group... fine. Until then, spamming is spamming. Your sense of entitlement that you get what you want the minute you want it is not a free pass to spam us.
  • srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    1. Limit the amount of lines a player lower than 15 can post, people lower than 15 cant even whisper, so limit the amount of lines to just 1 per minute, it should reduce Gold spam a lot.
    2. Add keyword filtering like foul language, or repetition of the same words in a short period of time in order to grant the 24h mutes.
    3. When muting send a transcript of the chat log to the muted person so they dont go to the forums whining. You can send the transcription to the forums mail.
    4. The report spam feature should work only by repetition of the same line in a short period of time. Also limit the amount of report spams a person can do in a 24 hour period.
    5. Punish people that misuse the report features. Maybe a chat mute itself as punishment and disable their ability to report spam for a month.
    6. Limit the numbers of characters a person can write. Semi force people to just *tweet* or if they exceed the characters put them on a chat cooldown. Even if u guys put the queue improvement to work, folks will keep spaming on chat, this should reduce the LFG spam, by limiting their requests.
    In order to do this you guys would have to release a in-game mail about the new chat rules to avoid confusion, also post a FAQ on forums too.
    edited June 2013
    FYI, you're contributing to a chat ban with every single person you ignore.

Not that it's not your right, more power to ya.

1. You're assuming I only use "report spam" to ignore people. Jumping to that false conclusion for no reason says a lot.

2. You're wrong... it is my "right" to report spammers who actually repeat themselves endlessly because they aren't getting instant gratification from the rest of us.

3. Your idea that violations of the rules and terms of service don't apply when you & others like you just want what you want when you want it has no basis in reality.
  • nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1. You're assuming I only use "report spam" to ignore people. Jumping to that false conclusion for no reason says a lot.

2. You're wrong... it is my "right" to report spammers who actually repeat themselves endlessly because they aren't getting instant gratification from the rest of us.

3. Your idea that violations of the rules and terms of service don't apply when you & others like you just want what you want when you want it has no basis in reality.

It's not JUST Report Spam that does it.
    The standard Ignore does it as well.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stay on target... Stay on target!
    edited June 2013
    srazy wrote: »
    1. Limit the amount of lines a player lower than 15 can post, people lower than 15 cant even whisper, so limit the amount of lines to just 1 per minute, it should reduce Gold spam a lot.
    2. Add keyword filtering like foul language, or repetition of the same words in a short period of time in order to grant the 24h mutes.
    3. When muting send a transcript of the chat log to the muted person so they dont go to the forums whining. You can send the transcription to the forums mail.
    4. The report spam feature should work only by repetition of the same line in a short period of time. Also limit the amount of report spams a person can do in a 24 hour period.
    5. Punish people that misuse the report features. Maybe a chat mute itself as punishment and disable their ability to report spam for a month.
    6. Limit the numbers of characters a person can write. Semi force people to just *tweet* or if they exceed the characters put them on a chat cooldown. Even if u guys put the queue improvement to work, folks will keep spaming on chat, this should reduce the LFG spam, by limiting their requests.
    In order to do this you guys would have to release a in-game mail about the new chat rules to avoid confusion, also post a FAQ on forums too.

There already is a limit to the number of characters a person can type. There just is no limit to the number of times they can repeat themselves. Your "solutions" also do not take anyone into consideration that is using zone chat to actually CHAT not advertise themselves. Your idea of 1 minute waits would remove all game discussion from chat. The word chat means to talk back and forth in a conversation. Also, the game already gives players a profanity filter. As the owner of parrots called cockatiels and cockatoos that would mean that I could never talk about my birds to anyone if they asked me (and they have) without getting a ban that doesn't understand that I didn't use foul language but FOWL language. How are you proposing to punish people who actually are reporting spam but the rules are arbitrary about who gets to spam with impunity and who does not? Spam by definition can even include people who say random things like "I like pie" without any reason to say it. Unless you come up with a strict set of spam rules and then personally review every spam report by a human being... you cannot ascertain whether someone has abused the ability to report spam. They will never do that in a free to play game because it is cost prohibitive.
    edited June 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    It's not JUST Report Spam that does it.
    The standard Ignore does it as well.

Well that is odd because I thought we had confirmation from PWE or Cryptic that told us that only "report spam" actually reported spam, and standard ignore was for muting people you just don't like or want to hear speak.

If what you say is true, then that is not MY fault or duty to listen to annoying people just so they don't get banned. That's the game's fault. I am NOT listening to someone talk about sex, harass or generally be an idiot. If THAT is what people are saying isn't my right to do... well screw that. Too bad. I have the right to enjoy the game just as much as the next person.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well that is odd because I thought we had confirmation from PWE or Cryptic that told us that only "report spam" actually reported spam, and standard ignore was for muting people you just don't like or want to hear speak.

If what you say is true, then that is not MY fault or duty to listen to annoying people just so they don't get banned. That's the game's fault. I am NOT listening to someone talk about sex, harass or generally be an idiot. If THAT is what people are saying isn't my right to do... well screw that. Too bad. I have the right to enjoy the game just as much as the next person.

I don't think you're getting it. Each person can be silenced if they accumulate enough "demerits". Ignoring someone adds, say, 1 demerit, and using 'Report Spam' on them adds 5. You get enough demerits, no matter the source, and you're silenced.

I don't think anyone is saying you're in the wrong to /ignore someone, but to use report spam just to shut someone up that you don't like hearing *is* wrong...

And, no, "spam" is not some personal vague definition of spamming - it has been pointed out in other Cryptic games that it is specifically real money transfers.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    There already is a limit to the number of characters a person can type. There just is no limit to the number of times they can repeat themselves. Your "solutions" also do not take anyone into consideration that is using zone chat to actually CHAT not advertise themselves. Your idea of 1 minute waits would remove all game discussion from chat. The word chat means to talk back and forth in a conversation. Also, the game already gives players a profanity filter. As the owner of parrots called cockatiels and cockatoos that would mean that I could never talk about my birds to anyone if they asked me (and they have) without getting a ban that doesn't understand that I didn't use foul language but FOWL language. How are you proposing to punish people who actually are reporting spam but the rules are arbitrary about who gets to spam with impunity and who does not? Spam by definition can even include people who say random things like "I like pie" without any reason to say it. Unless you come up with a strict set of spam rules and then personally review every spam report by a human being... you cannot ascertain whether someone has abused the ability to report spam. They will never do that in a free to play game because it is cost prohibitive.

The one minute per line is for people less than lv 15, since all gold spamers are min lv.
    The keyword search filtering its because this game uses an automated response to reports so people reported for spam should include foul language, gold sellers and repetition spam, like LFG spam or selling bs spam on zone chat.
    And yes, you dont need a person reviewing every spam report. Mistakes can be made and have been made, they are minimal, i dont expect a 100% acc ratio. Once a person is chat banned they learn, either to hate the system or respect it. And also, i have tested the limits of the chat mute system either by asking people to report spam me, or just talking trash and no, i havent been muted.
    Your complain its just to make a fuss , you dont bring any kind of solutions yourself. Best go tweet to your birds instead.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

And nobody is disputing that right. What we -are- discussing and disputing is ways to fix the broken parts of the chat moderation system.

In my sig is a link to a developer post detailing what the "report spam" feature is to be used for. If you don't feel like clicking it, I'll tell you. Report spam is intended to be used to report RMT spam only. ONLY. Any other use of it is abuse and/or griefing. Report spam currently generates a report that consists of the single line of text that you clicked on to use the report spam function and your name and @handle. If misuse is determined, then punishment is levied upon the deserving offender/abuser. Pretty sure most are fine with that. The problem has arisen that it -is- being abused to silence people unjustly. If you have a differing opinion, bam. Mute for 24. Call someone out for needing loot? Bam. 24 hours.

The actual problem is, the regular ignore function also mutes for 24 hours. There are those of us that are trying to get this fixed. That's it.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • vaelosvaelos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Disable the /ignore_spammer command immediately.

It requires no message to be associated with it and is used by exploiters with multiple accounts to chat ban anyone they like at any time they like regardless whether the player has used the in-game chat system or not.

Then later on at the very least a brief history of chat should be stored in-memory in a system with associated GUIDs to confirm that a "spam report" on a player is actually legitimately associated with some type of in-game communication. Right click -> ignore/report spammer should submit the GUID of the message which should then be validated against the chat history to confirm that the player even sent any message.

... found some other information, apparently the /ignore command counts towards the chat ban as well. Why? What an easily abusable system you've created here. In the short-term you could just make it less abusable by not counting / commands towards chat bans and make the right-click report a different and hidden command. Then at least they'd have to inject the packets or whatever to abuse it and not have it made ridiculously easy for them.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It needs to stay, but it needs to be revised as follows:*

1. Ignore does not count to the chat ban. This should be self explanatory, since I may not want to read PlayerA's abusive language, or, perhaps others may not find it abusive, and so, Ignore should be just that, blocked from communicating with me.

2. Report Spam works exactly as it does now, with the exception that Guild and Party chat remain unaffected. If they want to spam in Guild chat, and the guild is ok with it, fine, and the same goes for Party chat. They can, after all, be kicked from either if said group doesn't want to read it.

3. Create official LFG and Trade channels. If the coding isn't too hard, force any post predicated with WTS into the trade channel. If people refuse to use it, then Chat ban them as it's done now, but in Zone only. If the system is circumnavigated, ie exploited, by leaving WTS out of the post, count it as spam. Once there is an official channel for it, any posts going into the general Zone chat should be considered spam anyway.

Before anyone gets all "I want to sell my items for gold, and I can't in the AH", I don't care. If I'm reading zone chat, I should be able to ignore you w/out it adversely affecting you, and I shouldn't get a warning for blocking chat from my screen I don't want to see, which has been suggested here. If I truly want to buy an item for gold, I can switch over to the official Trade channel and watch for it to be advertised.

*Most of these ideas have been submitted before, this is just my take on the topic.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Add some flood control
    If the message is 90% the same as the last 2min cooldown
  • fallacy1fallacy1 Member Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Volunteer chat moderators. It works for the forums, it works for some other MMOs, it'll work for this one.

Two ways you could do it:

1) "Report Spam" continues to auto-silence, but the silence sends chat logs to somewhere the volunteer mods can see them, and they can undo the silence. This ends the spam quickly, and ends any abuse quickly. It has very serious privacy concerns however.

2) "Report Spam" goes to the volunteer mods. They can silence. There is no more auto-silence. Since volunteer mods are not employees and cannot be given shifts or assignments (no sense debating those points, folks, that's going to be PWE's legal department's take on this under California and US labor law, they already had this discussion for the forum mods), there would be periods of time where spammers would run rampant, but there would be precious little chance for abuse. Somebody (Destravus?) would need to review silences periodically, to make sure the volunteers didn't go off the rails.

I actually prefer #1, but I can't emphasize enough the privacy concerns; somebody could report a conversation whose participants expected privacy, it could even be ABOUT one of the mods.

This is a good idea, except moderators are kind of a drag to have in chats, or at least that has been my experience with chat moderators. When the conversation goes to something that isn't 100% wholesome and Christian-y, some moderators tend to start waving around their power. But, I suppose that it all just comes down to choosing the right person.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join Us|Officer of The Noore|Nyan Cat
  • vrtxfvrtxf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    how do i get unbanned ? i posted 2 messages on chat trying to see if some guy selling me drake seal items for gold was ripping me off or not, then with zone active i whispered a player 2 times. i got permanently banned without receiving an email. i don't know what to do and the neverwinter support is not helping me at all.
    if there are people out there willing to read this without trolling or had a simmilar experience and could point me in the right direction, i would be very very glad !
    for the topic, as a programmer, i understand why the flag system works like it does now and there should be a whole lot more people involved in this to make it work. people always come up with ideas but implementing them at a steady pace is somewhat ... unprofitable.
    as an improvement ... well ... first you should have something that works in order to further develop it, right now pw team should just fix their current chat issues, ban the exploiters, unban the exploited people [and me :D]
  • daelensaintdaelensaint Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have been muted since may, no response from customer services. I put in the report in game and through the website in May. It is now nearing the end of June. I love how I put money into games I cannot even enjoy playing now. Lifetime subscriber to STO, Heroes of the North pack, Bought Zen for the three games I actually enjoy playing. Global Mute has ruined my enjoyment of these games. The only person I can play the games with now is my husband. He has to tell me if anyone is saying something to me and reply for me. For all of the flaws and grinding out emblems that the other superhero games, fantasy genre, and Sci-fi based games have. I've been putting more time into them and had thought I would never touch them again. I'll miss STO and CO. Not so sure about missing NW though. I think it made me even regret playing D&D P&P for so long and holding out for a decent MMO made out of the rich history the game has for many of it's games.

Here's hoping that Someone starts to understand the damage they are doing to their customer base with this global muting of players who don't do anything besides enjoy a simple game.
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was just banned for making a comment in Protectors Enclave that "stupid nwgold sites need to go away".

Now I will probably have to wait DAYS for them to realize I was not a spammer myself. This filter sucks.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • mmuircastlemmuircastle Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    One very simple solution brings itself to my mind.

An increasing cooldown for messages in /zone.
    Message 1 CD: 0.0 second delay
    Message 2 (first repeat): 0.5 second delay
    Message 3 (2nd): 1.0 second delay
    (etc)
  • tahera1tahera1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How about instead of a 24-hour silence from 20+ ignores, you get a notice? Like in-game or IRL e-mail:

"Notice: 20 or more different players have now put you on their ignore list."

And again at 50, etc.

Just a little heads-up. No need to silence anybody. Just, hey, FYI, people don't like what you're saying. Just saying.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You can simply add 15 seconds timer between messages in Zone chat for players below level 10.
    And to prevent players from spamming chat with stupid stuff - silence players if they send three messages to zone chat within 2 second timeframe. Silence can last 15 seconds.
    It is done in other games.

"Say" chat is more tricky but limiting the length of the message for players lower than level 6 or 7 like it is done some F2P games with channel message/megaphone can help a little bit. For example, in Dragon Saga megaphone message is 40 characters.
  • celestrinecelestrine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My ideas:

1) LFG/LFM, Guild Recruitment and Trade channels. As stated previously in this thread, this would allow the default zone to be used for other player interactions like asking questions about game play and just talking in general.

2) Remove the demerits for the person who is added to someone's Ignore list. Sometimes, people decide they just don't want to hear/read something and it's not always because of a rules violation.

3) Add an option between Ignore and Report Spam: Report Abuse. This should place the character/account on the Ignore list, and forward a message or ticket to a human to verify. Not sure there should be any auto-mute as I am not sure if the mute outweighs the possible abuse of the function.

4) Separate the Ignore List page into three sections: Ignored, Reported Abuse, and Reported Spam so we can safely remove accounts that we want to temporarily ignore.

I assume that the text filters for the spam sites will eventually get updated to include the current word/character combinations. However, a review of the process and, possibly, allowing CSRs (or whoever is getting the spam reports) to input the new combos as a filter would result in a faster benefit to the players trying to use chat.
  • talnorantalnoran Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would hardly say that chat spam is 'virtually non-existent'. I see it as soon as I travel into town. A chat filter is never going to work as they will simply find a way to bypass the filter. It's not like there are a large amount of servers here and from what I've been hearing there is going to be a merger down to a single server. Why don't you just have GM monitor chat windows while they are doing support tickets. Not like it's hard to spot mad spam going on and kill the account(s). If I recall there was another game that let their own members police activity like this and it was working fairly well.
  • endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    One Have a trade channel
    Two Pay and have a monitor GM for flags that come up.
    Three Limit posts to once every 15-30 sec
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]