test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WOW conspiracy?

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This game is no threat to WoW. It was never meant to be. Blizzard is the big budget summer blockbuster movie. Well funded, lots of flash, easily marketed, rakes in millions. Cryptic is more like an Indy film. Low budget, often put together rough, made for a select audience, enjoyable if it is what you like.

You really cant compare the two. Cryptic would sacrifice a small army of interns for a fraction of Blizzards budget and marketing clout. Honestly, the days of the mega budget triple A MMOs are fading away. For most it is just to much of a gamble to end up flopping (Im looking at you SWTOR) Aiming for a moderate B or A level MMO is far less risky, easier to do, and if you fit the correct nitch, folks are happy with it.
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well, aside from the psychological gold mine ITT, there is some truth to it. Blizzard Reps HAVE been caught posing as "average gamers" trying to affect public opinion in the past. I thought this was already common knowledge, however.
  • joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    Probably around 80% of games reviews is paid by the developers themselves, where do you think games reviewers get their ad revenue from ?
    So its no secret that every large sized company has some sort of positive propaganda initiated by themselves, nothing new on the horizon.
  • krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Neverwinter is almost a different genre of game from WoW, given how they're respective combat systems work. I don't think they're really all that direct of competitors.

I left WoW for this game. Being a 5 year WoW player I was getting tired of the same thing, WoW is a great game, it has years of fine tuning and IMO one of the best PVP mechanics of any MMO. Yes, class balance is sometimes a problem as it is in every game, however you can work around it.

I played D&D when I was younger, I played Neverwinter when you had to play on player hosted servers and worlds that they and other DMS built...I loved it..I even DM'd for awhile on a persistant world server called The Frontier. It was hours and hours of fun.

This game, Neverwinter, is close to the mechanics of WoW, has the D&D feel to it, and appears at first blush to be a game that might hold my attention for quite awhile....If they (the developers) can come to agreement with management on the technical model that will fulfill their business model. They need to think WoW in some ways, but think D&D in others. There are alot of us WoW players that are screaming for a new game, that will hold our attention as long as WoW did.

It's entirely up to Cryptic and PWE to build that game world and to make it robust enough to cater to the vast differences of gamers that play WoW. Or, they don't care for grabbing that market share and are trying to target all those players that would never play WoW. I don't believe that, I think this game has been developed in such a way that it is appealing to WoW players, now we'll have to wait and see if it can sustain that.

What I still really like about WoW and don't see here yet is:

1) Fluidity of game play, moving is so free in WoW, you truly feel unobstructed in any way

2) No False walls, or if there are, they are very difficult to find

3) Interesting class dynamics and a constant tweak and improve mentality

4) The shear size of the world, some like to live in big cities some like to live in small cities..WoW feels like a big city to me and I'm a big city kind of guy

5) Flying...who doesn't like flying over a vast world in game

6) Choices, minigames or side games - WoW has got tons of things to do

I could go on and on, but the point is, I'm here, I'm checking this game out and it's got my attention. I just hope it can hold it. I also know that I have to give Cryptic a chance and the time to build something that could be a replacement for WoW.
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Star Wars was the only thing big enough to make a dent in WoW. I doubt WoW fanboys even pay attention to new releases anymore.
  • joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    xelqypla wrote: »
    Star Wars was the only thing big enough to make a dent in WoW. I doubt WoW fanboys even pay attention to new releases anymore.

And why should they ? If theyre happy with WOW they wont care much about another MMO.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I don't think there is a company in the gaming community who is afraid of NW/PWE/Cryptic stealing their subscribers.
  • czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't think there is a company in the gaming community who is afraid of NW/PWE/Cryptic stealing their subscribers.

I disagree with this too, I think they all worry about those things, especially DDO I would guess. Lets face it, if WoW loses just 1,000 players to this game, they are still out $15,000 a month. That's the salary of 3-4 developers. Any game company is going to notice that, even if it is a small percent of overall revenue.
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey there everyone,
    I have been a bit demoralised over all the negative comments on the forum as I don’t agree with many of them. A lot of them include sensationalist statements like ‘this game is dying’ and ‘any other MMO is better’. Anyway, a member of my group commented that a lot of the people doom-saying on both the forums and in-game are WOW players afraid that the life of their game is coming to an end and conscious of the fact that Neverwinter is ‘stealing’ players from such communities. I found this interesting but unsubstantiated.
    My question is this. Could this be true and is there any hard evidence to support it?
    Please remember that this thread is driven by pure curiosity and interest in the idea. Crazy ‘AAAHHH’ threads are annoying to me but not so much that I want to insult the people making them by lumping them all into a single WOW oriented category. So please note, I am NOT saying that a) all negative comments on this forum are made by disgruntled WOW players who see NW as a threat to their comfort zones, b) that all negative comments are unjustified, or c) that there is any truth to this theory what-so-ever. I am simply entertained by the idea and wanted to know if more experienced and well-travelled players might have some insight.
    Looking forward to the replies.

Amazing

Saving this one it's a keeper.

<Removed per RoC>
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Stealing subscribers? No, diverting capital, that could be going to their product? Oh hell yes. PWE has a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of people who spend money in their cash shops, and now they have Cryptic and a foothold in the west, folks keep laughing at cryptic but STO still has queues and as Daniel Sthal said more people logging in than ever in it's history, further... a metric <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of zen is being purchased for Neverwinter despite the fact that it is unpolished and in Open beta.

Now...imagine Cryptics position in five years with a producer with deep of pockets as PWE, who can buy just about any talent they want.

**** right they are concerned
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Funny thing is when WoW launched it was compared to Everquest...which IMO still smashes WoW on every facet
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stealing subscribers? No, diverting capital, that could be going to their product? Oh hell yes. PWE has a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of people who spend money in their cash shops, and now they have Cryptic and a foothold in the west, folks keep laughing at cryptic but STO still has queues and as Daniel Sthal said more people logging in than ever in it's history, further... a metric <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of zen is being purchased for Neverwinter despite the fact that it is unpolished and in Open beta.

Now...imagine Cryptics position in five years with a producer with deep of pockets as PWE, who can buy just about any talent they want.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that NWO has pretty much proven the average MMO gamer of the modenr day could be handed a **** sandwich on a platter, told its an exclusive 50 dollar ingame mount, and they'd gleefully pay for and eat it while ignoring the fact they were eating <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

If anything, I imagine other MMOs should be concerned that theyve created an environment where white knights that deluded exist.
    edited June 2013

Let me see

Cryptic has managed to fail Superheros twice
    Star Trek once
    Seems well on its way to failing fantasy gaming with neverwinter.

The only people that should be worried are people with franchises to license.
    edited June 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    The only thing I'm concerned about is that NWO has pretty much proven the average MMO gamer of the modenr day could be handed a **** sandwich on a platter, told its an exclusive 50 dollar ingame mount, and they'd gleefully pay for and eat it while ignoring the fact they were eating <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

If anything, I imagine other MMOs should be concerned that theyve created an environment where white knights that deluded exist.

Someone who has a dim opinion of WoW, SWTOR, EQ UO or any other MMO could say the same thing, you're just shouting opinionated hyperbole because you dislike this game, if you you gave opinion about design philosophy you might have some credibility...but all you're really doing is stamping your foot and shouting this sucks over and over.
    edited June 2013

"You can fool some of the people all of the time"
    -Abraham Lincoln

"There is a sucker born every minute"
    P.T. Barnum

I don't think the people you are talking about are news to anyone.
    edited June 2013
    Sorry but if you consider CoH a failure than you are a complete idiot, there is just no other way to say it.

Also fail is a subjective term I know people who think Mozart and Dhali are fail too...

To be fair, CoH never really was that great until after Cryptic sold it off.

Coincidentally, STO is their best game by far, and the recent LoR expansion was coded in part by Paragon Stdios alums (the same guys who left Cryptic to stay on with CoH and made it the game we remember)
    edited June 2013
    Eh. I love STO, and I wish CO wasnt a faikltrain, so Its more of a disappointed hatred. But you want constructive concerns? Fine lesseee..

1: The cash Shop is extremely overpriced, and the ingame reminders about the cash shop come off as downright cloying and grating.
    2: Dungeon design needs a loyt of overhauling, because the fact Trickster Rogues and Clerics can handle every job a tank normally would leaves a lot of Guardian Fighters out in the cold. Similar issues in how GWF does great aoe damage but hits like a limp noodle one on one.
    3: The lack of basic quality of life features like being unable to upgrade ingame earned pets also forces you to use the cash store unless you like summoning your pet every 4 sconds.
    4: One mailbox period is silly.
    5: a lot of talent trees simply dont function yet.
    6: It'd be nice if your town of origin meant more than a title.
    7: aaaand finally, Learn from your previous games. One of the biggest draws to CoH, CO, and STO has always been the customization, Both in look of armor, and in stats/abilities. NWO feels like it completely lacks in both outside minute percentage changes in predetermined skillsets. Its like playing an archetype from CO. and Archetypes are inherently crippled in comparison to a 4e Character.

there. happy? (incidentally, I only spend a couple hours a day on here. the rest is on playing STO, which despite being made by the same company, feels far more welcoming to players even in the cash shop)
  • phaazenphaazen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think that Neverwinter's main competitor is Dungeons and dragons online by turbine not wow they are both free to play and dungeons and dragons especially since ddo just spread into forgotten realms with Lolth. I used to play ddo a lot mostly because their mechanichs were beond beautiful and the costomization options were in the trillions but the game lacked shine which neverwinter has currently never winter outbeats them with much much prettyer graphics and flashy abilitys not to mention smooth and fun gameplay and almost no learning curve (which was ddos greatest strength and weakness is that the learning curve was 89 degrees and massivly complex).

I think Neverwinter pulled a lot of players like myself from ddo and can keep them if they can put out enough polished content like more classes/pets etc. not to mention the foundry is what can hold players looking for complexity because the foundry has some extreamly deep tools but can be used to slap somehting out quick for people that like simple aswell. Not to mention getting to 60 felt like a console game not a grind which I like. This game will probably pull and keep some wow players but i dont think it will be substantially more then any other mmo. I do have a lot of hope for neverwinter sustaining a good pull of players from both wow and ddo but I think bottom line is classes and pets (less so but gear and mounts too) being released on a regular basis. I think foundry can keep peoples needs for new quests kept at bay indefinatly if there is some how a chance of finding rare stuff in it.

my 2cp

Edit: pvp is just really messy to keep balanced with out mucking up pve
    edited June 2013
    phaazen wrote: »
    I think that Neverwinter's main competitor is Dungeons and dragons online by turbine not wow they are both free to play and dungeons and dragons especially since ddo just spread into forgotten realms with Lolth. I used to play ddo a lot mostly because their mechanichs were beond beautiful and the costomization options were in the trillions but the game lacked shine which neverwinter has currently never winter outbeats them with much much prettyer graphics and flashy abilitys not to mention smooth and fun gameplay and almost no learning curve (which was ddos greatest strength and weakness is that the learning curve was 89 degrees and massivly complex).

I think Neverwinter pulled a lot of players like myself from ddo and can keep them if they can put out enough polished content like more classes/pets etc. not to mention the foundry is what can hold players looking for complexity because the foundry has some extreamly deep tools but can be used to slap somehting out quick for people that like simple aswell. Not to mention getting to 60 felt like a console game not a grind which I like. This game will probably pull and keep some wow players but i dont think it will be substantially more then any other mmo. I do have a lot of hope for neverwinter sustaining a good pull of players from both wow and ddo but I think bottom line is classes and pets (less so but gear and mounts too) being released on a regular basis. I think foundry can keep peoples needs for new quests kept at bay indefinatly if there is some how a chance of finding rare stuff in it.

my 2cp

weirdly, my concerns plus the gameplay have me eying DDO again >.>
    edited June 2013
    eh. I love STO, and I wish CO wasnt a faikltrain, so Its more of a disappointed hatred. But you want constructive concerns? Fine lesseee..

1: The cash Shop is extremely overpriced, and the ingame reminders about the cash shop come off as downright cloying and grating.
    2: Dungeon design needs a loyt of overhauling, because the fact Trickster Rogues and Clerics can handle every job a tank normally would leaves a lot of Guardian Fighters out in the cold. Similar issues in how GWF does great aoe damage but hits like a limp noodle one on one.
    3: The lack of basic quality of life features like being unable to upgrade ingame earned pets also forces you to use the cash store unless you like summoning your pet every 4 sconds.
    4: One mailbox period is silly.
    5: a lot of talent trees simply dont function yet.
    6: It'd be nice if your town of origin meant more than a title.
    7: aaaand finally, Learn from your previous games. One of the biggest draws to CoH, CO, and STO has always been the customization, Both in look of armor, and in stats/abilities. NWO feels like it completely lacks in both outside minute percentage changes in predetermined skillsets. Its like playing an archetype from CO. and Archetypes are inherently crippled in comparison to a 4e Character.

there. happy? (incidentally, I only spend a couple hours a day on here. the rest is on playing STO, which despite being made by the same company, feels far more welcoming to players even in the cash shop)

Right and I don't disagree with a single point you made....I also don't scream fail after two months of OB, especially since I alpha tested the game and now how far it's come, I look for every gripe you have to be greatly improved with the exception of the cash shop prices in six months, and since you are a STO player you should know what Cryptic can do with a game that has a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of more issues than this. Finally , the time spent wasn't aimed at you
    edited June 2013
    weirdly, my concerns plus the gameplay have me eying DDO again >.>

They seem to have the cashshop gimmies even worse than they used to now.
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Don't feed Mechjockey where CoH is concerned. He knows CoH fans and refugees can be easy targets, so expect him to zero in on you if you try to defend it.

Business analysts for the Korean Times expressed nothing but bewilderment at NCSoft shooting dead one of its most popular, award-laden properties in the western market just a month after Nexon became the publisher's majority shareholder, and the gaming press has cornered NCSoft's public relations into spaghetti-like tangles of reasoning on multiple occasions. Links to all of this can be found on the Titan Network's forums in the Save City of Heroes sub-section of forums.

There's profit and then there's profit. NCSoft had stars in its eyes with the release of GW2 and buzz surrounding Wildstar, that much we do know beyond mere speculation. CoH was doing better and better after CoH: Freedom and profits were soaring, relatively speaking for the super hero MMO niche. Paragon Studios was shut down the weekend that GW2 launched. Closing it was a failure of NCSoft, not Paragon Studios. (Because we need more generic fantasy tropes and fewer diverse genres in this market.) Rather than let the Paragon Studios folks go to pursue their hopes and dreams for the game (keep in mind there are smaller publishers who would have loved an extra few million bucks a year), NCSoft fired every developer on the Friday before Labor Day, without notice, just hours after Paragon Studios had released teasers for an upcoming major update and days after players had dropped cash on a new power set.

That's for the uninformed. But I have a hunch Mechjockey knows this already. Don't feed the troll.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
    edited June 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    Don't feed Mechjockey where CoH is concerned. He knows CoH fans and refugees can be easy targets, so expect him to zero in on you if you try to defend it.

Business analysts for the Korean Times expressed nothing but bewilderment at NCSoft shooting dead one of its most popular, award-laden properties in the western market just a month after Nexon became the publisher's majority shareholder, and the gaming press has cornered NCSoft's public relations into spaghetti-like tangles of reasoning on multiple occasions. Links to all of this can be found on the Titan Network's forums in the Save City of Heroes sub-section of forums.

There's profit and then there's profit. NCSoft had stars in its eyes with the release of GW2 and buzz surrounding Wildstar, that much we do know beyond mere speculation. CoH was doing better and better after CoH: Freedom and profits were soaring, relatively speaking for the super hero MMO niche. Paragon Studios was shut down the weekend that GW2 launched. Closing it was a failure of NCSoft, not Paragon Studios. (Because we need more generic fantasy tropes and fewer diverse genres in this market.) Rather than let the Paragon Studios folks go to pursue their hopes and dreams for the game (keep in mind there are smaller publishers who would have loved an extra few million bucks a year), NCSoft fired every developer on the Friday before Labor Day, without notice, just hours after Paragon Studios had released teasers for an upcoming major update and days after players had dropped cash on a new power set.

That's for the uninformed. But I have a hunch Mechjockey knows this already. Don't feed the troll.

Spot on, but honestly I can't be too shook up about it all Cryptic got back almost everyone at Paragon and they are now working on the STO and Neverwinter teams which is one of the reasons I am so optimistic. I just hope after Neverwinter is stable they will shift some of that talent to CO, I was/am a huge fan of the CO PnP game and I know the potential that it isn't living up to.
    edited June 2013
    Spot on, but honestly I can't be too shook up about it all Cryptic got back almost everyone at Paragon and they are now working on the STO and Neverwinter teams which is one of the reasons I am so optimistic. I just hope after Neverwinter is stable they will shift some of that talent to CO, I was/am a huge fan of the CO PnP game and I know the potential that it isn't living up to.

Not permanently in some cases. I know Positron stated he only got hired on contract to do Klingon 1-20, and is now back looking for employment.
    edited June 2013
    Not permanently in some cases. I know Positron stated he only got hired on contract to do Klingon 1-20, and is now back looking for employment.

Yeah I saw that, stupid move, but I heard he isn't a huge team player but **** make concessions if the guy has talent.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey, the game is doing great man. Dont let those meanies tell you otherwise! I mean, the company has "perfect" in it, comon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited June 2013
    I don't think that is what is happening at all. WoW has been dying for a decade. It dies off completely, down to negative four hundred subscriptions, then somehow adds a million subscribers out of thin air with every single expansion. A person needs only look at the WoW forums themselves, someone is on there doomspeaking right this very moment--and someone has been every moment since the game was released.(TLDR: That was mostly sarcasm, really. WoW is a long way from dead).

There are two types of gaming forums. The ones that have tremendous amounts of negative feedback and the ones that have near fascist levels of moderation. This one lets a whole lot of free speech happen.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I guess one thing to note, is how "stealing" is used. Every new game gets players from other games trying it out. The real scrutiny is if they stay or not.

Another is "sensationalism". Thats purely biased and can be used on both sides of the fence.

The reality of it is good or bad, a Tiffany Lamp is still a Tiffany Lamp if its dirty. A <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, is still a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> even if you polish it to shine like a dragon scale. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mechjockey wrote: »
    Let me see

Cryptic has managed to fail Superheros twice
    Star Trek once
    Seems well on its way to failing fantasy gaming with neverwinter.

The only people that should be worried are people with franchises to license.

City of Heroes was a success and shut down by it's publisher for no good reason 4 years after Cryptic sold it to them. I'll give you CO on that point though.

STO can hardly be said to be failing given that they feel secure enough in the game to have released a 10 gig update on par with WoW's expansions for free.

And Neverwinter is far too early to judge as too it's success or failure although all signs point to success as the devs have stated in interviews that they may not be able to merge the servers due to the amount of people playing.
  • blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited June 2013
    STO is definitely not failing. It's a very strong game, fun to play and has a strong community and a ton of content.

To be sure, the launch was a massive fail--heck, I'd say they shouldn't have called the game "done" until a year and a half or two years ago. But make no mistake, the current game is pretty darn good.

The only reason I even chime in on this forum is because I earnestly hope the stuff on here makes this game better and that it doesn't go through another two years of development before it feels "done", like STO did.