test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WOW conspiracy?

Comments

• imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    mechjockey wrote: »
    Cryptic has managed to fail Superheros twice
    Star Trek once
    Seems well on its way to failing fantasy gaming with neverwinter.

STO is not a failure by any stretch of the word's meaning.

I have never played CoH or CO, so I can't comment on those, but in light of the STO statement I don't know how accurate you views are. That said, I don't think Super Heroes settings are very popular for MMOs. Personal interests determine one's social circle, but still, none of the folks I played WoW, Rift, etc with ever showed any interest in a Super Heroes themed game. Could be a European thing, too.

Neverwinter's beta seems to be going fine. I look forward to Module 1 and balancing patches, but the way I play the game I'm happy with what we already have. In fact, I still wish I had more time than I actually do, for Foundry quests.

The fantasy MMO market is still dominated by WoW, and not a single fantasy-themed MMO has really been nearly as successful. I don't personally think that a game needs to be even close to WoW in order to be considered successful, but most people seem to use that criterion. Then again, I also don't require a game to be anything but fun right when I play it, and my enjoyment isn't really impacted by what will be in three months, a year, or three years.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    blaumker wrote: »
    STO is definitely not failing. It's a very strong game, fun to play and has a strong community and a ton of content.

To be sure, the launch was a massive fail--heck, I'd say they shouldn't have called the game "done" until a year and a half or two years ago. But make no mistake, the current game is pretty darn good.

The only reason I even chime in on this forum is because I earnestly hope the stuff on here makes this game better and that it doesn't go through another two years of development before it feels "done", like STO did.

Just a question about STO. Have they done anything about the horrid ground combat? Honestly , that game had the worse ground combat of any game I ever played. The ship combat was fun though :D
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Just a question about STO. Have they done anything about the horrid ground combat? Honestly , that game had the worse ground combat of any game I ever played. The ship combat was fun though :D

They added a shooter mode back in season 4 but I rarely use it. I actually enjoy ground combat in STO.
  • lostdrafteelostdraftee Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Negativity usually gets more attention than positivity (and complaints more than appreciation), so people looking for attention tend to take that route. It is pretty much just noise -- if you ignore it, you will hear the music. :)
    Wow! I don't know what music you hear in silence but please, do not forget to take your pills.
  • watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sry but ive never played ANY game from blizzard and i think this is one of the worst MMO's ive ever tried. sure its free and potential for some fun but it quickly goes away and the suport team closes tickets without even reading them. overall it is just poorly operated and just a cash cow nothing more. there are wayyyy to many other free MMO's out to be crying over 1 bad one like this but to think that all complaining are from a kiddie wow game is inaccurate. maybe alot of qqers are but not me. i just dont like the game. and i dont create threads just to bash it. i just left plain and simple. the p2w model isnt fun to play against.
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    STO is not a failure by any stretch of the word's meaning.

You have a mighty low bar for success.
    edited June 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    Don't feed Mechjockey where CoH is concerned. He knows CoH fans and refugees can be easy targets, so expect him to zero in on you if you try to defend it.

Only because they say funny things.

Like "The game was doing great it only lost 5% of its revenue a month"
  • blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited June 2013

Like...profitable with a regular playerbase that's showing growth(I do realize that it wasn't always this way, and mentioned as much)? Profitable enough to develop and release an expansion for, even? I realize it isn't pulling down WoW numbers, but neither is, nor has ever been, any other game in history.

How high to I need to set the bar, pray tell?
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Funny that, considering most times of late the gaming industry has set a high bar of success (Tomb Raider, Dead Space 3, etc) even record shattering numbers of sales for those franchises were "failures"

Its almost like setting the bar impossibly high (and spending on the game as thought said success was for sure) predestines failure.
    edited June 2013
    blaumker wrote: »
    Like...profitable with a regular playerbase that's showing growth(I do realize that it wasn't always this way, and mentioned as much)? Profitable enough to develop and release an expansion for, even? I realize it isn't pulling down WoW numbers, but neither is, nor has ever been, any other game in history.

How high to I need to set the bar, pray tell?

Well lets see the franchise is Star Trek. It has an enormous built in fan base, that will literally buy any kind of junk you can think to sell them. Tribble anyone http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ac6e/ ?

Somehow I think just getting by doesn't cut it.
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Only because they say funny things.

Like "The game was doing great it only lost 5% of its revenue a month"

While I am obviously not privy to their financial records, according to numerous reports I have seen it was turning a profit.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    WOW peaked at 13 mil subs and still has more than 11 mil subs - no other game comes close. No one in their player base or at Bliz is even remotely afraid of any other MMO. $165m/month, and that's their main game. Their secondary games have more players than most other companies primary games.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wasn't it down to 7 million?
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I blame the upside down inside out Moon dwelling lizard people.

Obvious stuff is obvious.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wasn't it down to 7 million?

Maybe in 2008...
    edited June 2013
    8.3 million as of March 31st, and they have been dropping further since: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/WoW-Blizzard-Activision-Subscribers,22504.html
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wow OP, ever hear of paragraphs?
    edited June 2013
    rictras wrote: »
    While I am obviously not privy to their financial records, according to numerous reports I have seen it was turning a profit.

Whose reports ?

Anyway NCsoft, the only entity that could definitely say, broke out the gross revenue by game and CoH's results were pretty poor. They were completely unable to grow and had a continuously diminishing market.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "It won't be long before Blizzard starts feeling the effects"

I feel like I read that article two years ago. Or was it four? Six?
  • silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    WoW is for people that can't actually play real games. It's surprising it's still around since there are many games out there that are hands down much better than it is, was, or will ever be.

That being said, this game does have some things going for it but it's still a poor knockoff of the actual NWN game. There is a lot of work that this game needs before it will succeed. Trust me, I do like this game, but it really needs work. There is a lot of decent concepts in it, but they don't work because they were not thought through.

There is a new game in the works called The Elder Scrolls Online. The game seems to go places where other MMOs don't and should prove to be quite interesting. I'm actually looking forward to it. This game is the one that many companies need to watch out for.

One game I would still like to see come out is an actual NWN-3 game, not an online knockoff. I would also like to see the Ultima series be remade, using new code that will actually utilize the full capabilities of newer systems and hardware. Yes, MMOs are nice, but there's still gold in them there hills for single player games.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's not just WOW. I've run into folks from several games who feel the need to sabotage other games to protect "their" game. STO, AoC, WOW, LoL, and many, many, more. The only saving grace is that my fellow Champs Fanboys/Girls are all obviously insane and can be safely quarantined from the general public before this happens;)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • mathakarmathakar Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2013
    This is just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Thanks for the good laugh tho.

BTW, 9/11 was an inside job, we never went to the moon and Aliens are among us. Right?
  • silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    When people from other games try to sabotage other games it actually does little to no good, since the only people that really can be influenced by this saboteurs are the weak minded ones that are incapable of making decisions on their own. Lets face it, these people shouldn't be playing these games to begin with.

I've also find that many times the people that try to sabotage new games, are employees of those other games or people that are using those other games illegally to make money (I.E. gold sellers).
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mathakar wrote: »

BTW, 9/11 was an inside job, we never went to the moon and Aliens are among us. Right?

Who told you? Actually, the Astronauts that went to the moon were aliens that used an American made spacecraft. No human has actually stepped on the moon.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    It's not just WOW. I've run into folks from several games who feel the need to sabotage other games to protect "their" game. STO, AoC, WOW, LoL, and many, many, more. The only saving grace is that my fellow Champs Fanboys/Girls are all obviously insane and can be safely quarantined from the general public before this happens;)

Which is silly, how many people actually read a forum before trying a game?

I for one never ever read the forums till after I find something frustrating about the game and look for helpful hints. Which normally there is none. Only trolls here.
  • osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mathakar wrote: »

I'm a lizard person *does scary action*
  • wctp0wackowctp0wacko Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Most anti-posts are kids mad because they didn't get a participation trophy yet.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »

I for one never ever read the forums till after I find something frustrating about the game and look for helpful hints. Which normally there is none. Only trolls here.

To be honest it has always seemed that they are really trying to convince THEMSELVES, rather than others. A former room mate of mine from back in the day used to do this on occasion. It always seemed that he had gotten terminally bored with his "special" game and viewed the Jihad against rival MMO's to be much more entertaining than actually playing the one he was "defending". Most of the others seemed to fall under the same category, although they were people I spent much less time with (work acquaintances, folks down at the coffee shop, etc.)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »

I do, at least if it's games that are already out. Then again, I grew up in Usenet newsgroups, the forums before the web era, so I'm probably more message board focused than the average player.
  • naryllfielnaryllfiel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sheesh no conspiracy, I just think that some players got bored with Neverwinter.

I know I have returned to Rift, which will be FTP June 12th. I had purchased the $59 Guardian of the North pack for this game, but after hitting lvl 60, doing a many dungeons, foundry etc...I got royally put off by the AH and AD exploits...and the latest is a member we recruited in game who took off with all our guild gold (deposited there by seniors who wanted to help out players) along with a number of lvl 5 runes.

All purple gear can be purchased for a price on AH, and debunks the idea of making your own gear, etc. There is enough AD daily task to save up for them, and those of us who have purchased a pack have plenty of AD in our inventory. Buying keys just often gave me more chest of AD - so the challenge in the game for a avid mmo player is kind of nil atm.

All this kind of of put me off, so for now I log on once in a while in Neverwinter and do the odd dungeon and pvp. Made a new toon in Rift and also playing with my lvl 50s in the Storm Legion content.