test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WOW conspiracy?

beanyundeadbeanyundead Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey there everyone,
I have been a bit demoralised over all the negative comments on the forum as I don’t agree with many of them. A lot of them include sensationalist statements like ‘this game is dying’ and ‘any other MMO is better’. Anyway, a member of my group commented that a lot of the people doom-saying on both the forums and in-game are WOW players afraid that the life of their game is coming to an end and conscious of the fact that Neverwinter is ‘stealing’ players from such communities. I found this interesting but unsubstantiated.
My question is this. Could this be true and is there any hard evidence to support it?
Please remember that this thread is driven by pure curiosity and interest in the idea. Crazy ‘AAAHHH’ threads are annoying to me but not so much that I want to insult the people making them by lumping them all into a single WOW oriented category. So please note, I am NOT saying that a) all negative comments on this forum are made by disgruntled WOW players who see NW as a threat to their comfort zones, b) that all negative comments are unjustified, or c) that there is any truth to this theory what-so-ever. I am simply entertained by the idea and wanted to know if more experienced and well-travelled players might have some insight.
Looking forward to the replies.
Post edited by beanyundead on

Comments

• Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter is almost a different genre of game from WoW, given how they're respective combat systems work. I don't think they're really all that direct of competitors.
  • Options
    beanyundeadbeanyundead Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited June 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Neverwinter is almost a different genre of game from WoW, given how they're respective combat systems work. I don't think they're really all that direct of compSetitors.

So you don't think its possible. Cool. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    MMO players are a passionate, excitable bunch. I don't think it's some conspiracy where WoW players are afraid of NW overtaking their game, though.

Truth be told, if you don't want to keep questioning your decision to play this game, just avoid the forums all together. Enjoy the game for what it is - a fun action-y game with an online component. While there are bugs, and the game certainly has its shortcomings, it is a good distraction overall.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    MMO players are a passionate, excitable bunch. I don't think it's some conspiracy where WoW players are afraid of NW overtaking their game, though.

Truth be told, if you don't want to keep questioning your decision to play this game, just avoid the forums all together. Enjoy the game for what it is - a fun action-y game with an online component. While there are bugs, and the game certainly has its shortcomings, it is a good distraction overall.

So you don't think its possible too. Cool. My wife has given me the same advice about not looking at the forums. I don't know, something keeps me coming back. Anyway, thanks. And I agree. Its a great distraction.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sallee132 wrote: »
    WOW fans are just trolls thats what it is,its not just this game,they invade every game on the world,forums and youtube and troll there,they are bigger haters then Justin Bieber haters.Its entire Blizzard community,they just lost social life playing Blizzard games and become people with bad personality that dont have what better to do,same with D3 where those community invade POE forums and game just to troll,u need to get used to them, cause they will never be smarter :/

Wow! (No pun intended). So you do think its possible. Cool. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Negativity usually gets more attention than positivity (and complaints more than appreciation), so people looking for attention tend to take that route. It is pretty much just noise -- if you ignore it, you will hear the music. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Negativity usually gets more attention than positivity (and complaints more than appreciation), so people looking for attention tend to take that route. It is pretty much just noise -- if you ignore it, you will hear the music. :)

Lol! Thanks for the advice. And I agree with you about negativity and its drawing power.
  • Options
    sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »

well said that man,they are just people desperate for attention,simple attention hoes =p
  • Options
    abaddon1979abaddon1979 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That sounds like what fanboys say when they have no retort to valid criticisms. They are just blinded by their unwavering irrationality when it comes to something they like or think is correct. It is a problem that is more wide spread than just video games. People are unable to hold an objective viewpoint anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    well said that man,they are just people desperate for attention,simple attention hoes =p

Let's be fair. Not necessarily everyone who is negative on the forums is looking for attention for attention's sake. But imivo is definately on the money that people 'looking for attention' tend to take that route. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    That sounds like what fanboys say when they have no retort to valid criticisms. They are just blinded by their unwavering irrationality when it comes to something they like or think is correct. It is a problem that is more wide spread than just video games. People are unable to hold an objective viewpoint anymore.

So...you don't agree with the thread's initial question? I am taking it that you do not think its possible. Thanks for the reply. Oh, and I agree that objectivity is a seldom found element on the internet.
  • Options
    sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Let's be fair. Not necessarily everyone who is negative on the forums is looking for attention for attention's sake. But imivo is definately on the money that people 'looking for attention' tend to take that route. Thanks for the reply.

you right,but those people that doesnt look for attention and give negative comments,those comments are there to help to improve the game,they stick to the topic,say what is negative and sometimes give solution how to solve problem,but if guy come here and tell how game is dying,or how this is WOW clone or such how does that help to improve game?If it does not have to do anything with topic thats just troll haters desperate for attention
  • Options
    demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Put me down for "Nah" as well.
    The release of EVERY new rpg, specifically the ones with an online component, is marked by a certain set of traits. The two most important of which are the wow comparisons and the doomsayers. But the psychology behind these things is so complicated that I actually suspect that a Doctoral Dissertation could be composed on the very subject. You'd need hundreds of pages to even begin to isolate every factor to map this stuff out in complete detail.

Suffice it to say that, as far as the posters on message boards are concerned, every single videogame released between 2005 and continuing into the forseeable future registers as either "The WoW Killer" or "This game is dying". There is no middle ground in this hyperbole. Those are the only two options.
    Which is ironic, because any time you try to isolate one thing, a fair analysis will reveal that it's actually hitched to everything else in the universe.
    It's ALWAYS more complicated than that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    you right,but those people that doesnt look for attention and give negative comments,those comments are there to help to improve the game,they stick to the topic,say what is negative and sometimes give solution how to solve problem,but if guy come here and tell how game is dying,or how this is WOW clone or such how does that help to improve game?If it does not have to do anything with topic thats just troll haters desperate for attention

Right. I agree with you 100% Thanks for clearing that up :)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dematto wrote: »
    Put me down for "Nah" as well.
    The release of EVERY new rpg, specifically the ones with an online component, is marked by a certain set of traits. The two most important of which are the wow comparisons and the doomsayers. But the psychology behind these things is so complicated that I actually suspect that a Doctoral Dissertation could be composed on the very subject. You'd need hundreds of pages to even begin to isolate every factor to map this stuff out in complete detail.

Suffice it to say that, as far as the posters on message boards are concerned, every single videogame released between 2005 and continuing into the forseeable future registers as either "The WoW Killer" or "This game is dying". There is no middle ground in this hyperbole. Those are the only two options.

Awesome. I would love to read such a dissertation. Fair enough though, you are saying that there is no WOW conspiracy that is just a fact of life with new online RPGs. Thanks for your reply. Please correct me if my summary of your statement is wrong.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    Basically, no. This game is new, this game is shiny, this game has attracted the swarm of fly-by-night MMO players that flit from game to game. This swarm will disperse and reform on the new shiny when it comes out and what is left, will hopefully be a workable baseline population.

This game isn't dying, this game isn't a threat to WoW. The only indication of this game dying would be if the forums have almost no movement. The amount of activity on these forums indicate that the game is anything but close to dying. WoW is doing fine for a critically aging MMO, it will eventually die but nothing will kill it except itself. The people that own and run WoW know this very well, and have no reason to send people to sabotage this game.

Interesting comment about the activity of the forums being an indicator of the life of the game. Really interesting. You don't think that the game is dying and you don't think people who say such things are disgruntled WOW players. I am beginning to think that the hypothesis of this thread is incorrect, but we'll see. Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sounds accurate. Just growing pains when the bar you have to measure yourself up to is such a titan that it's made something like sixty-three dollars per second for over a decade.
  • Options
    joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013

The state of this MMO is the same as the intention of this post : Nice try, but it dont really work.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    dematto wrote: »
    Sounds accurate. Just growing pains when the bar you have to measure yourself up to is such a titan that it's made something like sixty-three dollars per second for over a decade.

I've read this a couple of times. Interesting metaphor. Unforuntely, I don't understand it :P
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Reading this I take it wow is a game not a word to express excitement?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Read it in reverse, its much clearer then.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

The state of this MMO is the same as the intention of this post : Nice try, but it dont really work.

The intention of this post? And whatever it is won't work? Huh? Are you...are you a troll? This is a big moment for me. My first troll.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    osiabunny wrote: »
    Reading this I take it wow is a game not a word to express excitement?

Just in case you are serious :P WOW stands for World of Warcraft, a really big and long-lived MMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

The intention of this post? And whatever it is won't work? Huh? Are you...are you a troll? This is a big moment for me. My first troll.

Nope, tried to qoute, but as you can see, it doesnt work.

So I tried hard, did my best, but failed. Like Cryptic.
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This thread is <Burns my eyes> priceless. Thx guys.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Im happy you like it just as much as I do. Guess even the Satyr in your sig gets a happy smile on his face from it.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Prepare to have your mind blown.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Viral-Marketing-Exposed-Big-Buyout-Horizon-40885.html

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww&authuser=0#hl=en&tbo=d&authuser=0&sclient=psy-ab&q=paid+forum+posters+shills+marketing&oq=paid+forum+posters+shills+marketing&gs_l=serp.3...5185.10878.0.11543.17.17.0.0.0.0.313.1900.10j6j0j1.17.0.les%3Bpchwce..0.0...1.1.di08R9hCkhA&pbx=1&fp=1&bpcl=40096503&biw=1440&bih=799&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

Yes. That second link is full of job ads for shills, people who get paid by corporations to post on forums.

The University of Chicago estimates 1/3 of reviews have some sort of financial incentive.

We most likely do not live in/with the sort of online world that you think we do. A long time ago, corporations and sympathetic legislators began trying to hoover up decentralized aspects of the World Wide Web in order to regulate and capitalize and/or own this space that, since its invention, has had a great deal of its open knowledge and its freedom from censorship protected, thanks to civil liberties and digital rights activists.

The gaming industry is bigger than Hollywood, but amazingly, in most of the ways that count, we the consumers have been on the winning side of these battles, which has left corporate interests either defeated or entrenched. And how does an opponent who is entrenched, but still in the fight, behave?

Desperately at worst.

Strategically and covertly at best.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just remember that 98% of the outrage you see on forums is mock outrage.
    impervium wrote: »
    Prepare to have your mind blown.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Viral-Marketing-Exposed-Big-Buyout-Horizon-40885.html

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=ww&authuser=0#hl=en&tbo=d&authuser=0&sclient=psy-ab&q=paid+forum+posters+shills+marketing&oq=paid+forum+posters+shills+marketing&gs_l=serp.3...5185.10878.0.11543.17.17.0.0.0.0.313.1900.10j6j0j1.17.0.les%3Bpchwce..0.0...1.1.di08R9hCkhA&pbx=1&fp=1&bpcl=40096503&biw=1440&bih=799&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&cad=b

The University of Chicago estimates 1/3 of reviews have some sort of financial incentive.

We most likely do not live in/with the sort of online world that you think we do. A long time ago, corporations and sympathetic legislators began trying to hoover up decentralized aspects of the World Wide Web in order to regulate and capitalize and/or own this space that, since its invention, has had a great deal of its open knowledge and its freedom from censorship protected, thanks to civil liberties and digital rights activists.

The gaming industry is bigger than Hollywood, but amazingly, in most of the ways that count, we the consumers have been on the winning side of these battles, which has left corporate interests either defeated or entrenched. And how does an opponent who is entrenched, but still in the fight, behave?

Bingo! I have actually seen first hand PR firms recruiting "Promotion analyst" (I.E. Astroturfers) at GDC and PAX prime. And the sad thing is every time someone points out these slime buckets exists they are immediately invalidated by the simple /tinfoil.

As bad as the Astroturfing on the SWTOR and Mass Effect 3 forums were, the average joe flat out refused to believe that those who were spreading so much outrage and vitriol had an interest other than that of fan, and when you take in account the number of trolls that will pile on to forum rants just because...it ends up being a most effective way to cause your competition grief.

inb4 the usual conspiracy theorist insults. :rolleyes:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!