test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

AH prices are INSANE

afgulafgul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
so , im trying to level up Mailsmithing so I can use it to make things near my level of gear that I can use.

However its almost impossible....im now lvl 32, and in order to get a level 7 hammer which you have to have for lvl 28 gear.....the AH wants 98k AD....i have like 10k AD, and if i keep doing quest to get AD which will only level me up more and make any equipment I want to make totally worthless for me.

TLDR: having things you HAVE TO HAVE to make items be priced based on player prices if STUPID. It stifles the market and makes it impossible for anyone to actually make items they can use.
Post edited by afgul on

Comments

• Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can actually buy a common hammer with gold from the crafting vendor.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    i got one..it says WORN Hammer...you need a regular HAMMER to upgrade to STEEL Hammer then onwards
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure it's worth it to try to make gear you can actually use.

Maybe just focus on Leadership, since it can net you AD?
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You don't need that asset in order to continue leveling the profession. I think my platesmithing is at 18 on my Guardian Fighter and I never had to buy an asset from the AH.

AH prices are based on demand and supply, and that is player controlled. Overall, everything is getting cheaper as the Zen value of AD increases, but the game is still very new and the market is volatile. Not buying something from the AH at prices you disagree with is a contribution to lowering them in the long run.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    afgul wrote: »
    i got one..it says WORN Hammer...you need a regular HAMMER to upgrade to STEEL Hammer then onwards

You don't need those for level 28 gear.

pinkfont wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's worth it to try to make gear you can actually use.

It's not. Most likely it would be more profitable to sell everything you'd use to level up your crafting.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    get ore, mass produce chain/scale. do this from 1-20.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Then spend a little bit of of real $money$. I got lotsa junk I didn't need off the Nightmare Lockboxes, but that "junk" so for several thousand to tens of thousands and I must of made over 200k worth. Then there's all those 40k AD idols that I looted, I must of gotten at least 6 of those, which is over 240k AD.

That's what F2P games are all about. You can play the game for free, but then you gotta accept the fact that you will progress slower than those who do spend money!

If you don't like that kinda system, then go spend $100+ buying the WoW Battlechest+all expansions and spend $15/month for the next few years.

No one is ever gonna make a 100% true F2P game where no one needs to spend money! People don't develop games as a charity!
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    That's what F2P games are all about. You can play the game for free, but then you gotta accept the fact that you will progress slower than those who do spend money!

The question is how much slower should it be? Speaking hypothetically, if progress in a free-to-play game for free-to-play players is so slow that the only practical option is to pay money, why have the game be free-to-play at all? For another box to check on the back of the nonexistent gamebox? For a meaningless marketing term? But you're also right that the game can't survive without money coming in. If the gameplay didn't tempt people to pay for convenience/cosmetics, then people wouldn't. It's all a question of how much is too much really, and that all comes down to personal preference.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    xenogear3xenogear3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    Then spend a little bit of of real $money$. I got lotsa junk I didn't need off the Nightmare Lockboxes, but that "junk" so for several thousand to tens of thousands and I must of made over 200k worth. Then there's all those 40k AD idols that I looted, I must of gotten at least 6 of those, which is over 240k AD.

If you don't like that kinda system, then go spend $100+ buying the WoW Battlechest+all expansions and spend $15/month for the next few years.

No one is ever gonna make a 100% true F2P game where no one needs to spend money! People don't develop games as a charity!

Actually, I thought F2P is designed for casuals.
    Casuals don't want to pay a monthly fee because they only play 5 hours a week.
    They may buy a few things from the cash shop.

If you are a no life (which seems you are), you pay a monthly fee.

This game is the other way around.
    Hardcore doesn't play the game. They buy end game gear and AD with cash directly.
    Casuals grinds for AD :)
  • Options
    leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    so , im trying to level up Mailsmithing so I can use it to make things near my level of gear that I can use.

However its almost impossible....im now lvl 32, and in order to get a level 7 hammer which you have to have for lvl 28 gear.....the AH wants 98k AD....i have like 10k AD, and if i keep doing quest to get AD which will only level me up more and make any equipment I want to make totally worthless for me.

TLDR: having things you HAVE TO HAVE to make items be priced based on player prices if STUPID. It stifles the market and makes it impossible for anyone to actually make items they can use.

I hear ya brother. I am trying to get a specific purple tool for crafting. I have spent over $400 in zen and been buying asset packs exclusively with my zen, but still cant get the item I am after. It is well over 2 million AD on the AH which is almost 6k zen (about $60). Even though it would be cheaper for me to just buy AD and get the item rather than gamble with asset packs, there is NO WAY I am going to support that kind of pricing on the AH. I would like to sell some of my green and blue tools that I don't have a use for from all the asset packs I have opened, but I neither want to charge the going rates on those nor list them for a respectable price only to be snatched up by someone who wants to relist it for triple. Until the zen market allows (if ever) specific tool purchases, I think I am done buying Zen. I have plenty of money to burn but something needs to change here.
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Those better assets yield better quality, but it's not necessary to craft anything. It's a separate thing. Look at the requirement for crafting the pieces.

Those are however expensive because you can only get them via profession packs which for the most part you have to pay for.
  • Options
    e11ze11z Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    leeford wrote: »
    Even though it would be cheaper for me to just buy AD

Eh? How do you buy AD o.o surely RMT is Bannable in the TOS?
    The Best PVP Guild on Dragon/Neverwinter: YoloOldSkoolSwagLoveNeverGingersLuvDupStep even if it's just one of us, you might as well just afk.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    e11z wrote: »

You buy Zen. Through the built in game exchange you can then sell the zen off to players wanting to buy it with AD.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    leefordleeford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    e11z wrote: »

I meant it would be cheaper for me to take my Zen to the exchange and sell it for AD :)
    See, I am spending $50 for 5300 zen and buying several asset packs for 1600 zen (and not getting the tool I am after)
    So, I could sell that 5300 zen on the exchange and get 5300(z) x 350(ad) = 1.9 million AD which it the ridiculous going rate for a purple tool. But I am not going to support the AH prices like that.
  • Options
    thannonrathannonra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that there are numerous economy issues in this game. Rather than type them all out again, however, please see my post here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?309572-I-want-to-spend-money-but-with-things-the-way-they-are&p=4012401&viewfull=1#post4012401
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leeford wrote: »
    I hear ya brother. I am trying to get a specific purple tool for crafting. I have spent over $400 in zen and been buying asset packs exclusively with my zen, but still cant get the item I am after. It is well over 2 million AD on the AH which is almost 6k zen (about $60). Even though it would be cheaper for me to just buy AD and get the item rather than gamble with asset packs, there is NO WAY I am going to support that kind of pricing on the AH. I would like to sell some of my green and blue tools that I don't have a use for from all the asset packs I have opened, but I neither want to charge the going rates on those nor list them for a respectable price only to be snatched up by someone who wants to relist it for triple. Until the zen market allows (if ever) specific tool purchases, I think I am done buying Zen. I have plenty of money to burn but something needs to change here.

The forums need a trade section . Then we could swap our crafter tools .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    The forums need a trade section . Then we could swap our crafter tools .

that would be cool
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    You can buy a regular hammer from the crafting vendor at the market for a few silvers. It's on the 2nd tab. Most people missed seeing it.
  • Options
    dcoy1dcoy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP you are missing the point. Crafting isn't there to have fun with. Or make useful gear for your characters. Its there to milk $$$ from you. Just like everything else in this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> pile that somehow has DnD in the name.
  • Options
    edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    Those better assets yield better quality, but it's not necessary to craft anything. It's a separate thing. Look at the requirement for crafting the pieces.
    Well, they are necessary to craft better quality items. Without them you simply can't. For players who like to craft their own gear because that's something they enjoy doing, that's kind of a big deal.
  • Options
    th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You think the AH is insane? I think the zen store is insane.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    dcoy1 wrote: »
    OP you are missing the point. Crafting isn't there to have fun with. Or make useful gear for your characters. Its there to milk $$$ from you. Just like everything else in this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> pile that somehow has DnD in the name.

Yeah it's a money pit. Except for a few things. Unfortunately 95% of the things you can craft are junk and you get a better deal from dungeon drops. Whoever thought that crafting rares is based on luck and what time you happen to be logged in is a good idea should be shot.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    edgenw wrote: »
    Well, they are necessary to craft better quality items. Without them you simply can't. For players who like to craft their own gear because that's something they enjoy doing, that's kind of a big deal.

They want you to have to pay real money to enjoy the privilege of crafting your own rare gear.
  • Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xenogear3 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true idiot. Oh, a poor idiot at that.
  • Options
    edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    The question is how much slower should it be? Speaking hypothetically, if progress in a free-to-play game for free-to-play players is so slow that the only practical option is to pay money, why have the game be free-to-play at all? For another box to check on the back of the nonexistent gamebox? For a meaningless marketing term? But you're also right that the game can't survive without money coming in. If the gameplay didn't tempt people to pay for convenience/cosmetics, then people wouldn't. It's all a question of how much is too much really, and that all comes down to personal preference.

I have to agree with this. In my opinion free-to-play games are at their best when cash-shop convenience items can be obtained through in-game means in a reasonable manner OR the cash-shop prices are reasonable enough that most people won't bat an eye at paying them. Neverwinter is nowhere close to either of those, which is a bad combination.
  • Options
    macerukmaceruk Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xenogear3 wrote: »
    Actually, I thought F2P is designed for casuals.
    Casuals don't want to pay a monthly fee because they only play 5 hours a week.
    They may buy a few things from the cash shop.

This game is the other way around.
    Hardcore doesn't play the game. They buy end game gear and AD with cash directly.
    Casuals grinds for AD :)

Why would you presume they have no life, such a rude post.
    I play casual but most of them games i have played have been monthly's and I pay for them even if some weeks i get 2-3 hours in the game, its called supporting the game you like playing. I will spend a bit on zen to support the game in the same way, I do not mind spending a 10 - 15 pounds a month if i am enjoying it. It does not mean i have no life nor give you the right to judge someone else. Get of your high horse and comment on the topic not peoples lives.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edgenw wrote: »

You can buy white versions of all the crafting tools . This will let you craft the items , just no chance of getting the bonus craft . The white items come from the crafter mat vendor . She has a second tab . I only use the white swords and armor , why pay more for green ones from AH , since for leadership they do nothing . I have a blue anvil and all it has ever got me is an occasional socket in an item . Definitely not worth 250k .
  • Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If no one pays, no one plays. Simple as that.
  • Options
    budrik1budrik1 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dcoy1 wrote: »
    OP you are missing the point. Crafting isn't there to have fun with. Or make useful gear for your characters. Its there to milk $$$ from you.

Morgan-Freeman-talks-Obama.jpg
    "Pugs are like Saturday Night Live Sketches.
    Most of em' are awful, some of em are decent, and a few are pretty good."
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't know about you, but I've got several blue & green assets from the Doomguard's Duty quest (no, I didn't repeat it on one character via sharing. I just have several alts).

And I have a green Man at Arms that I bought from the AH for a somewhat reasonable price. Not to say that everything's a good price, of course. /shrug

edit: also,

ITT: the usual "how dare they charge $ for anything, it's clearly all a ripoff" crowd, patting each other on the back