What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

crafting system good or bad?

124»

Comments

• par4nauticpar4nautic Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts! I personally am surprised to say how much I like crafting in Neverwinter. I haven't historically been into it in other games, but I find that professions are balanced in a way that makes them useful and worthwhile, but without requiring me to babysit them. Which is right up my alley. ;)

Uhm.. really? Shirt and Pants are the only useful things to craft right now (except Leadership crafting)... that's actually really sad because the overall crafting-system isn't that bad... can we expect more useful garment's added to the epic-crafting-list in the near future, or even bloody recipes?
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Leadership does have better tasks once you get Footmen. And if you keep an eye out for the rare tasks that grant 1,600 AD for 12 hours it's a nice way to make 4,800 AD for doing nothing especially if they pop up close to bedtime. The leveling does get kind of dumb around 15 or so as far as how much XP is needed for the next level and how much you can get from the tasks.

As far as the other Professions go the only reason I'd probably work on those is to unlock another task slot which equals more potential AD earnings.
  • artorusrexartorusrex Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I find it one of the least interesting crafting systems i have ever used in a MMO over the years.

There is no sense of interaction really with it , especially leadership as i don't find hitting a button and waiting 6-18hrs for something at all thrilling.

Also the crafting seems very very simple as if was tacked onto as a afterthought and took someone a day or so design up.Mind if I am honest thats the impression i get from a lot of the game that it really should be a single player/co-op online game and then they tried to convert it to a MMO format .
  • darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts! I personally am surprised to say how much I like crafting in Neverwinter. I haven't historically been into it in other games, but I find that professions are balanced in a way that makes them useful and worthwhile, but without requiring me to babysit them. Which is right up my alley. ;)

Im curious how you find it useful when it very hard to get the materials needed to craft items with. And how expensive it is to get leather works or any for that matter that are worth a **** that you have to go and buy for millions of ADs in order to make anything worth using. Sorry, but the crafting system in the game is utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. At least with STO you guys made it work well. I have no idea what you all are thinking or how anyone finds this convoluted crafting system any fun at all.

WOW at least allow you to go out and find the materials you needed to make stuff and level it up to a point where you actually could use the items you were making and it didn't take a month to level up your crafting to where its even useable. And the sheer amount if time it takes to even complete a mission is stupid to say the least.

Just because you guys made a crafting system different does not mean its better. Sorry, its actually pretty lame.
  • gotmeensgotmeens Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anyone have the problem when using the gateway and doing the protect the caravan quest, and when u log in the game u got no rough diamonds, it has happened quite a few times....even made a thread about it which was promptly deleted...anyone else expirence this?
  • xenobiusxenobius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Simply put, crafting in Neverwinter is broken in more ways than one.
    As someone noted already, the only items worth crafting are the underpants/shirt, and while it may bring you some minor crafter's joy to make and sell the low level ones, once you hit lvl 20 and start considering the lvl 60 versions, you realize that without investing millions and millions of AD/ZEN your lvl 20 skill is pretty much useless.

The reason?
    You need purple ("very rare" aka epic) tools to craft something you can hope to sell with a profit, otherwise you'll be wasting those dragon eggs for nothing. Tools that cannot be obtained by any in-game means save for buying them from the auction. Basically, it's yet another pay-to-win aspect, since most average players will never bother investing that much time and/or money into something that can bring only a minor stat boost, at best. Honestly, even Lineage II with it's horrendous, "chance to fail" crafting was better in that aspect back in the day.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I would like to have a way to scavenge gear that we no longer use.

Why do I have to just sell gear?

Why can I not destroy it and maybe get some materials related to crafting?
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    The way it works in WOW is that there are 2-3 pieces of really good crafted items and rest has to be earned through other methods. I have not played newest expansion Mists of Pandaria, but at least in Cata expansion I could create raid(i.e Elite best of the best)
    crafting leather and mail armors. However only a couple of pieces and the rest had to be earned otherwise(like Raiding) and you could also earn same level as crafted items through Raids.

No one gives a **** how WoW does it. This isn't WoW.
  • darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    No one gives a **** how WoW does it. This isn't WoW.

That's not he point of the topic or what he's saying. may of us are merely saying that this current crafting system is very lacking. he's using WOW as a reference to how a good crafting system works. Stop being an idiot.
  • flatfootsamflatfootsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I personally find it pretty lackluster. It is one of the most uninteresting things about the game. Sure it is easy but its pretty mind numbing and fruitless.

I personally liked DDO's crafting better. Sure it was a grind and buggy but at least we had some good choices to make items that help us lower to mid level. With this system It just seems like pants and shirt is the only thing that really benefits us.

I think it needs a serious overhaul..
    The lost Halflings~Code:NW-DC5DGPFJR
  • lappdancerlappdancer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gotmeens wrote: »
    anyone have the problem when using the gateway and doing the protect the caravan quest, and when u log in the game u got no rough diamonds, it has happened quite a few times....even made a thread about it which was promptly deleted...anyone else expirence this?

The game automatically refines the rough diamonds when you log in...and resets the refine limit at the same time. So instead of rough diamonds you should have actual astral diamonds.
  • trannysupergaytrannysupergay Banned Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Slow as hell to progess. Doesnt match the speed of leveling at all. Complete waist of time
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bad.

rewards the whales who throw money at the devs.

What an affectionate term for us nice people who pay for ungrateful people like you to play. Hilarious. :)
  • saucyshortcakesaucyshortcake Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    What an affectionate term for us nice people who pay for ungrateful people like you to play. Hilarious. :)

no, you pay for this ****ty excuse of a gaming company to keep milking other people as <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> as you for more money from awful products.
  • scorpion2112scorpion2112 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Considering the amount of time you have to wait for dungeon/skirmish queue's, you aren't involved nearly enough. The stuff you can make is useless to actually use while you are leveling.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    artorusrex wrote: »
    Also the crafting seems very very simple as if was tacked onto as a afterthought and took someone a day or so design up.

It's an extremely simplified version of Star Trek Online's duty officer system.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is you can't really make anything useful except for shirts/pants. You reach rank 20 and get a recipe for some crappy bracers that take 48 hours to make and a huge investment in tools that could be better spent actually buying a better bracers.
    lappdancer wrote: »
    The game automatically refines the rough diamonds when you log in...and resets the refine limit at the same time. So instead of rough diamonds you should have actual astral diamonds.
    Considering that when I hit the refine limit and still had rough diamonds left over, after logging in the next day I still had those rough diamonds even though the limit was reset, I'm pretty sure it does not.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Bad.

rewards the whales who throw money at the devs.

All systems that reward things like that are bad

How, exactly, is it you think devs get paid? With money thrown at them. Were you under the impression this game was a charitable venture, funded by a grant from the NSF or something?
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    How, exactly, is it you think devs get paid? With money thrown at them. Were you under the impression this game was a charitable venture, funded by a grant from the NSF or something?
    I don't think you understand how these things work. They get paid wages by PWE, they don't get paid based on the amount of Zen people buy.
  • d3mi21d3mi21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    One of the worst crafting system ever created
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    I don't think you understand how these things work. They get paid wages by PWE, they don't get paid based on the amount of Zen people buy.

The size of wage increases is based on profitability. The size of bonuses is based on profitability. Less profit means less of both of these things.

For their pure F2P titles, both of those things are 100% based on Zen sales.
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the basic concept overall.

Some have mentioned that you outlevel gear you craft by the time it's completed. I do not think this is a crafting issue but more of a leveling speed issue (yes you get to 60 way too fast IMHO).

There are some things missing... Quality bonuses for Leadership, Nature profession (which I assume will come in with the Ranger class).

I enjoyed my push to 60 and am enjoying my crafting and subsequent asset hoarding. I guess I am playing the crafting side from a completionist perspective and hoping it pays off down the road a bit. Did I buy a few packs? You betcha! But I am also re-investing my gains back into crafting. I would like to have enough + quality assets to max my chances of Tier 3.... who knows when they may add a tier 4 recipe?! :)
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    The size of wage increases is based on profitability. The size of bonuses is based on profitability. Less profit means less of both of these things.

For their pure F2P titles, both of those things are 100% based on Zen sales.
    Hah. Maybe in your perfect world (see what I did there) things work like that, but not in this one, and definitely not in this company.
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A crafting system that makes two items people want- shirts and pants.

No, that's not a good crafting system. The mats to make blue items are unbelievably rare- you're going to vastly outlevel any gear you can make anyway- so crafting isn't any good for levelling gear- and endgame the shirt/pants are the only worthwhile things.

Leadership is ok- it gives tiny boosts to money, xp, AD, and some generally worthless items. But, at the rate of gain- you're looking at months of leadership in order to afford a single piece of gear- and not even a good piece of gear. I imagine a year of leadership and you'd be able to buy a cat.

No rare recipes you can get in the world, no customization- and to make the best gear, you need assets- which are only available through zen (yes yes, you can buy on the AH- but ultimately, those enter the economy because someone spent cash to get zen). When items enter the economy solely through the zen market- this is p2w. Heck, for all I know, you can't get dragon eggs except through profession packs too- I certainly haven't seen one drop or in a node.

All in all, I find the crafting system very much lacking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A crafting system that makes two items people want- shirts and pants.

No, that's not a good crafting system. The mats to make blue items are unbelievably rare- you're going to vastly outlevel any gear you can make anyway- so crafting isn't any good for levelling gear- and endgame the shirt/pants are the only worthwhile things.

Leadership is ok- it gives tiny boosts to money, xp, AD, and some generally worthless items. But, at the rate of gain- you're looking at months of leadership in order to afford a single piece of gear- and not even a good piece of gear. I imagine a year of leadership and you'd be able to buy a cat.

No rare recipes you can get in the world, no customization- and to make the best gear, you need assets- which are only available through zen (yes yes, you can buy on the AH- but ultimately, those enter the economy because someone spent cash to get zen). When items enter the economy solely through the zen market- this is p2w. Heck, for all I know, you can't get dragon eggs except through profession packs too- I certainly haven't seen one drop or in a node.

All in all, I find the crafting system very much lacking.

All very fair points! If it weren't for the gateway, I probably would have been done with this game already honestly. But crafting through the gateway keeps me engaged.