test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

crafting system good or bad?

Comments

• northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Welcome to the dark side, and now watch your productivity fall into the abyss...
    LOL, looks like I need to start keeping a stock of the Vendor crafting materials on hand now!
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL, looks like I need to start keeping a stock of the Vendor crafting materials on hand now!

Do tell me, I am out of coal....... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    demamp wrote: »
    That's great but it doesn't really address my post. Don't you use AD to buy epics? You can get all your epics from facerolling pvp.

AD buys a bunch of ****, not to mention trading it for Zen. But hey, if all you want is epics, by all means, go afk in PvP and ruin it for the rest of us.,....
  • immortaltenzhiimmortaltenzhi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've yet to meet a crafting system that I liked. The materials and recipes involved tend to present enough of an irritating barrier, but I think I like this rigid time barrier that quickly spans into hours even less.
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's soooooooo good! I love NW's crafting system!

Why is it so good? Well let's see:

- Crafting materials are in their own bags! I never have to worry about crafting mats clogging up the same bag where I dump all my loot and items!

- Crafting stuff in the background! When I log into the game, I can set something to be crafted, play the game, do quests, dungeons, etc. Then come back later and check my crafted product! Another cool thing is if I have something that takes 6 hours to craft, I just set it up before going to bed and the next day I will have something new to pick up!

- Crafting isn't boring! I dunno about you guys, but when I play a MMORPG, I wanna go around killing stuff and getting loot! I don't wanna stare at a UI window clicking here and there, always having to manage my crafting materials and buying/farming more if I run out. In NW, I just gotta buy stuff or pick up crafting materials as I play the game, and then I spend a few minutes setting it up and my worker takes care of the rest for me! I just have to wait for it to be crafted and pick up the item! I got really tired of WoW's crafting system where I could spend hours just starring at the crafting window, then going to the AH buying stuff, and then back to crafting window and starring at a boring UI watching a bar fill up from 0% to 100%.
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    ROFL! I bought 8 coal last night! Looks like I'm going to have a boat load of iron ore by the end of the day.
    4ore x 6(hr) x 9 hrs = 216 iron ore.
  • lageralelagerale Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly if there wasn't crafting items in things I loot I wouldn't even know there WAS crafting in this game. There is no started quest for crafting like most games have, there is no explanation as to what benefit crafting is to you, there is nothing really to get you to craft unless your looking for it.
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ROFL! I bought 8 coal last night! Looks like I'm going to have a boat load of iron ore by the end of the day.
    4ore x 6(hr) x 9 hrs = 216 iron ore.

We hates you and your ironsesssss
    edited May 2013
    lagerale wrote: »
    Honestly if there wasn't crafting items in things I loot I wouldn't even know there WAS crafting in this game. There is no started quest for crafting like most games have, there is no explanation as to what benefit crafting is to you, there is nothing really to get you to craft unless your looking for it.

Ehr yes there is, from Sgt Knoxx
  • thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Where's the queue?

Why the funnel driving us to the store?

Why are our employees vanishing? Do we kill them? Do we require them to fight to the death?

How do we manage to keep finding new employees if we keep disappearing the old ones at an alarming rate?

Where is the recipe to craft our tools? Are we the first smiths in history with no tools? I'm smelting iron with my bare hands?

Massive breach of suspension of disbelief, thy name is "Cash Shop".
    Looking for a mature guild to play with?

www.guildmedieval.com

Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.
  • revpaulierevpaulie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »

I like it so far, although adding the option to buy materials while in the Gateway would make things SO much easier! nothing worse than crafting through the Gateway from work and running out of some needed resource and having to wait until you get home to log in and buy them. 8 hours wasted when you could be crafting! :-)
    edited May 2013
    revpaulie wrote: »
    I like it so far, although adding the option to buy materials while in the Gateway would make things SO much easier! nothing worse than crafting through the Gateway from work and running out of some needed resource and having to wait until you get home to log in and buy them. 8 hours wasted when you could be crafting! :-)
    Do the crafting where it makes raw materials!

I actually love this crafting system, nothing worse than needing to spend hours roaming the map to mine, harvest, etc like in WOW to gather mats.
    edited May 2013
    Do the crafting where it makes raw materials!

I actually love this crafting system, nothing worse than needing to spend hours roaming the map to mine, harvest, etc like in WOW to gather mats.

Yes I ran out of coal and now I am harvesting mats and doing Leadership tasks in my second slot
  • harbingerdrumharbingerdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am taking it all sort of slowly, but I would say that so far the crafting is working for me.

One thing I noticed right off was that my main out leveled the craft skills rather harshly. To remedy this I held it at lvl 40 and am now leveling 4 different classes and keeping them more or less around the same level. So I am supporting Plate, Leather, Cloth, and Mail.
    Huge benefit to this is that they all feed each other with the materials that they themselves cannot use, (and it is also interesting to judge how each class deals with the various zones and mobs). Keeping them around the same level is working swell in that regard.

I even used the main to get them started by sending some made items to them (to vendor) and allow them to get a stash of whatever their vendor reagent was. If you are going to be using the Gateway for remote access this is critical, since you cannot remote buy the salt, coal, etc, and get it into their bag for use.

So.. Move a character 5 or more levels (consume a zone) while everyone is crafting away. Supplies for all and before long you will be making stuff several levels Above each of the characters level. The only standing around is when you select one to level and check to see if anything currently being made is useful.

Shirts and Pants will sell on the AH also, since making them is the only option to get them and not everyone will be willing to skill the crafting.

Last tip here. Keep one of your 12 slot bags for things you make that say (after) the name +1, +2 etc. They will be needed down the line to make things you can use. You can look ahead a little to make sure you are making the correct one. There may be 2 or 3 flavors of the hat (or whatever) you are making, but only one of the stat sets will be upgradeable.

---- TL DR VERSION ----
    Crafting can be fun if done with some thought and not in a terrible hurry.
    the Book Binding series by @HarbingerDrum ----> Help Defeat Lolth's Minions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1- 20, 2- 35, 3- 18, 4- 20 min
    Comments to ->
    the Book Binding
  • burtlebeburtlebe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am taking it all sort of slowly, but I would say that so far the crafting is working for me.

One thing I noticed right off was that my main out leveled the craft skills rather harshly. To remedy this I held it at lvl 40 and am now leveling 4 different classes and keeping them more or less around the same level. So I am supporting Plate, Leather, Cloth, and Mail.
    Huge benefit to this is that they all feed each other with the materials that they themselves cannot use, (and it is also interesting to judge how each class deals with the various zones and mobs). Keeping them around the same level is working swell in that regard.

I even used the main to get them started by sending some made items to them (to vendor) and allow them to get a stash of whatever their vendor reagent was. If you are going to be using the Gateway for remote access this is critical, since you cannot remote buy the salt, coal, etc, and get it into their bag for use.

So.. Move a character 5 or more levels (consume a zone) while everyone is crafting away. Supplies for all and before long you will be making stuff several levels Above each of the characters level. The only standing around is when you select one to level and check to see if anything currently being made is useful.

Shirts and Pants will sell on the AH also, since making them is the only option to get them and not everyone will be willing to skill the crafting.

Last tip here. Keep one of your 12 slot bags for things you make that say (after) the name +1, +2 etc. They will be needed down the line to make things you can use. You can look ahead a little to make sure you are making the correct one. There may be 2 or 3 flavors of the hat (or whatever) you are making, but only one of the stat sets will be upgradeable.

---- TL DR VERSION ----
    Crafting can be fun if done with some thought and not in a terrible hurry.

This is what I am doing, I got my GF to 22 and realized there was no way I could craft enough or get enough mats to keep up so now I have a Cleric, Wiz, Guard and Rogue up to level 5. Once they are ready to craft I will switch mats around tween them and the cleric gets her gear made by the GF and she will just be doing leadership and gathering mats for the others. This system is a simpler and stricter version to what SWTOR has where "companions" craft for you. I am honestly glad TOR never got a web interface for their crafting hehe.
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i like it, but, i think some of the time needed to get items is way too high.

the best example i can think of is the mass forging in mailsmithing.

forging two rings/scales takes 10 minutes.

mass forging six takes 6 hours.

like, what the ****.

i also wish there was a tab where after you finished the task, you could click "Again" to repeat that task, as long as it was available.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i like it, but, i think some of the time needed to get items is way too high.

the best example i can think of is the mass forging in mailsmithing.

forging two rings/scales takes 10 minutes.

mass forging six takes 6 hours.

like, what the ****.

i also wish there was a tab where after you finished the task, you could click "Again" to repeat that task, as long as it was available.

It encourages you to buy profession packs. With few rare workers everything is so much faster.
  • megistemegiste Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it is rather buggy at the moment. At least leadership is. Right now the best thing I can do to level is a level 5 1h task that rewards 40 leadership xp. For a while I stuck with the level 4 2h one that rewarded 200 rough astral diamonds. That was until I decided to hit 40 asap.

Another gripe is how they force you to buy cash boosters to get the rare assets. Why is it that I cannot upgrade from footmen to men at arms? Other than them being money grubbing that is...
  • sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for your thoughts! I personally am surprised to say how much I like crafting in Neverwinter. I haven't historically been into it in other games, but I find that professions are balanced in a way that makes them useful and worthwhile, but without requiring me to babysit them. Which is right up my alley. ;)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts! I personally am surprised to say how much I like crafting in Neverwinter. I haven't historically been into it in other games, but I find that professions are balanced in a way that makes them useful and worthwhile, but without requiring me to babysit them. Which is right up my alley. ;)

So how do you make district maps other than the rare task?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The crafting system in this game, from what I've experienced, kinda makes me feel like I opened a shop and simply stop by every now-and-then to check that everybody's working and to assign new tasks; "This hour I want you guys to upsell helmets!"
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Didnt really like it at first because its only good if you have alts. System would have been epic with some sort of player housing or if we could manage some sort of keep with assets. Its halfway there and if they ever want to make some sort of housing system they could match it up with the crafting system.
  • travail01travail01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    The crafting system in this game, from what I've experienced, kinda makes me feel like I opened a shop and simply stop by every now-and-then to check that everybody's working and to assign new tasks; "This hour I want you guys to upsell helmets!"

I agree 100%. I said right from day one that it felt to me like I was running a business, telling my employees what to make for me. You're more of a business man than a skilled professional in your own right.

Not a terrible system, but it's unfortunate that you can pay Astral Diamonds to make the process instant, and that you need rare crafting mats (only found in packs you have to purchase with Zen) for the fastest and best crafting jobs. These things undermine an otherwise decent, albeit quite casual, crafting system.

-Travail.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
  • lollielollie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    I agree 100%. I said right from day one that it felt to me like I was running a business, telling my employees what to make for me. You're more of a business man than a skilled professional in your own right.

Not a terrible system, but it's unfortunate that you can pay Astral Diamonds to make the process instant, and that you need rare crafting mats (only found in packs you have to purchase with Zen) for the fastest and best crafting jobs. These things undermine an otherwise decent, albeit quite casual, crafting system.

-Travail.

Crafting is part of the p2w system.
  • grimwolf512grimwolf512 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The crafting concept is Interesting and I like it.

The crafting tree is a joke! You can out level the crafting way to fast. I level Leadership for the AD and that is about it. I was working on Mail for my cleric but decided to stop wasting my time. I just want to know if I do tailoring can I make bags.
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »

-Travail.

I actually got a few rare (including assets) from leadership chests and skill checks, though not very often
  • daowacedaowace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd scoff at this 'crating' system in a heartbeat.

It's nothing more than the cow clicker style of games that flood the casual market. Spend hours and hours of time waiting for something or throw tons of money rushing it. It's a system designed to reap money from people, nothing more.

I doubt it will ever change.
  • m3atba9m3atba9 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would be nice if they toned the times down on some of the stuff you craft. It seems rediculous to me that it can be more productive to sit and do tasks that take 10-25 minutes vs some of the higher level tasks that do the same thing taking 4-8 hours and not even giving you a third of what you get for the lower end tasks. (Mostly this is observing Leadership and the AD generating tasks.)

There is also a bit of dependency on crafting packs, granted you can find these in the auction for AD and they are reasonably cheap Zen wise. But they are random... would suck to pay out real $$ and wind up with a bunch of green crafting materials.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If anything I am an MMo crafter above anything else. The crafting here is pretty weak. In eq1-EQ2 you can make a career of being a crafter. I do enjoy crafting and not thinking about it.

Suggestion: Crafting in a workshop in range of appropriate crafting station speeds up the process. This is the way they do it in Fallen Earth...they have a superb crafting system

My daily routine is basically trade for desired mats and go to a lvl 45+ zone and harvest nodes.......speeding up as a crafter in crafting halls would certainly be appealing to me. I have no desire to pvp or queu for dungeons when the tool for queu is workinig poorly.

Right now my crafting is lvl 11 all trades.......please put some time and consideration into more crafting or I will soon max out .
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    megiste wrote: »
    Another gripe is how they force you to buy cash boosters to get the rare assets. Why is it that I cannot upgrade from footmen to men at arms?

I like the professions.. But yeah I find this the largest annoyance. The only way to get Men at Arms is from the booster things. And from what I can tell the only way to create an Adventurer is to have 4 Man at Arms.