test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

crafting system good or bad?

ayutardaayutarda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I have played around with crafting system and I gotta say its different, is it good different or bad though.

Personally I quite like it reminds me of something found in EVE online and the other good bit is you can actually do it while out of the game from anywhere.

Gone are the days of me standing around clicking button after button to create something instead you set it up and come back in 10 mins or however long, while your actually doing something fun like hitting things in the face.

Also it means kits will be very useful trying to get as getting crafting items i imagine could take time.

Also I like the little rare repcipe that pops up for a few hours before going away, i adds a lvl of randomness and the fact that some people wont be able to craft it right away so I like those features.

Its also nice you can do all the crafts with little hassle dont need to take two or give one up or chase random other bits just do it all from that window.

Overall I think its pretty good and lends its self quite nicely to the more action side of neverwinter.
Post edited by ayutarda on

Comments

• Options
    inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    My first experience with a crafting system like this was in SWTOR, though it was probably done before that. I loved it there and I love it here, though it seems pretty basic right now. Haven't given much thought to say what could make it better but a little more complexity would be welcome.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I expect them to add more recipes. I have to agree with some people that by the time you're able to craft an item, you'll already be past needing it or you'll have found better in a dungeon.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    I expect them to add more recipes. I have to agree with some people that by the time you're able to craft an item, you'll already be past needing it or you'll have found better in a dungeon.

Except for Pants. . .

Also I like the Idea of having Rare recipes randomly repopulate every hour, it will keep the AH price on crafted purples higher. . .
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »
    Except for Pants. . .

Also I like the Idea of having Rare recipes randomly repopulate every hour, it will keep the AH price on crafted purples higher. . .
    The way it works in WOW is that there are 2-3 pieces of really good crafted items and rest has to be earned through other methods. I have not played newest expansion Mists of Pandaria, but at least in Cata expansion I could create raid(i.e Elite best of the best)
    crafting leather and mail armors. However only a couple of pieces and the rest had to be earned otherwise(like Raiding) and you could also earn same level as crafted items through Raids.
  • Options
    timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    The way it works in WOW is that there are 2-3 pieces of really good crafted items and rest has to be earned through other methods. I have not played newest expansion Mists of Pandaria, but at least in Cata expansion I could create raid(i.e Elite best of the best)
    crafting leather and mail armors. However only a couple of pieces and the rest had to be earned otherwise(like Raiding) and you could also earn same level as crafted items through Raids.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here.

I know how crafting works in WoW, but one could not craft BIS in WoW.

In this game it seems that the only way to get Shirts, Bracers, and Pants is by crafting. this is good as it gives high level crafters a market to sell to because they hold a monopoly( all crafters) on those 3 armor slots.
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like it.

Due to the time gating it does not lend itself to power levelers though who need to have everything maxed in 3 days, and I'm sure that will <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> a lot of people off.
  • Options
    seonsaengnimseonsaengnim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm loving the crafting system so far. I haven't logged in at all today, I just use the Gateway to set my crafting every 4+ hours. it's left me free to play my other games and still make some progress in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    kyssumikyssumi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    The further I get with crafting the more I am not liking it at all. Overall its not to bad but the as you progress it really starts to get pretty lame if you don't dish out any ADs to speed things up.

My biggest beef with the system in its current state:

1) You can not acquire green+ quality tools and such for increased quality without the Zen store. Theres no tasks to make a green quality tool from 4 white quality tools like there are for your workers.

2) The amount of time to get higher quality workers is kinda nuts if you dont use the zen store to try and get em. When you use 4 white workers on the task to get a green, the 4 white are consumed.. That means the time itll take you to create a single purple quality worker is pretty ridiculous lol.

That being said I'm all for things taking a good bit of time to accomplish but they went a little bit overboard with all of this imo. As many have mentioned before with the slower crafting lvling youll never be able to make anything for your lvl until your 60 unless you do literally nothing but craft making it really only useful for alts, making AD off the AH and endgame.

On another note the Profession Gateway is pure awesome.
    "Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kyssumi wrote: »
    The further I get with crafting the more I am not liking it at all. Overall its not to bad but the as you progress it really starts to get pretty lame if you don't dish out any ADs to speed things up.

My biggest beef with the system in its current state:

1) You can not acquire green+ quality tools and such for increased quality without the Zen store. Theres no tasks to make a green quality tool from 4 white quality tools like there are for your workers.

2) The amount of time to get higher quality workers is kinda nuts if you dont use the zen store to try and get em. When you use 4 white workers on the task to get a green, the 4 white are consumed.. That means the time itll take you to create a single purple quality worker is pretty ridiculous lol.

That being said I'm all for things taking a good bit of time to accomplish but they went a little bit overboard with all of this imo. As many have mentioned before with the slower crafting lvling you'll never be able to make anything for your lvl until your 60 unless you do literally nothing but craft making it really only useful for alts, making AD off the AH and endgame.

On another note the Profession Gateway is pure awesome.

Create alts, level them to 11, hire your first basic worker on an alt, mail it to your main. If you aren't crafting on your alts, then set them to hire an additional one and repeat. Every 18 hours you get the additional white on your alt and send it to your main.

Invoke every day. Celestial coins add up to get you a crafting booster pack (don't remember if it's 5 or 7). Doing this with alts too. I've got at least one purple and a couple blues this way, plus lots of residuum.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    Create alts, level them to 11, hire your first basic worker on an alt, mail it to your main. If you aren't crafting on your alts, then set them to hire an additional one and repeat. Every 18 hours you get the additional white on your alt and send it to your main.

Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Leadership 3 is easy to get and gives you an additional slot too. That's a really clever use of game mechanics (*cough*).
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think taken in the context of the type of game this is, the system is great. I hated it at first, because it is so basic, but now I am convinced it is what the game needs as far as crafting. If this system shows up in a game like EQ Next, then hell no, it doesn't cut the mustard.

Easy Fun Action based Dungeon Crawler = Easy Fun Crafting

Huge Complex Sandbox MMO = Complicated, massive crafting system.
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Leadership 3 is easy to get and gives you an additional slot too. That's a really clever use of game mechanics (*cough*).

Not really. Crafting materials and assets are tradeable, you can find them on the AH. Mailing items between your own characters isn't 'creative' at all, just like mailing armor and weapons that your main finds that your alt could use. Also, the celestial coins crafting booster at 5 coins is very useful. If you get something nice that's not for your craft skill, sell it or transfer it to your other character that does.
  • Options
    bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The crafting by proxy system is a good system. This is a half-butted implementation of that system. I find this crafting system tedious and a serious money grab. The gateway is a great addition but seriously flawed in implementation at the moment.
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bad.

rewards the whales who throw money at the devs.

All systems that reward things like that are bad
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not really. Crafting materials and assets are tradeable, you can find them on the AH. Mailing items between your own characters isn't 'creative' at all, just like mailing armor and weapons that your main finds that your alt could use. Also, the celestial coins crafting booster at 5 coins is very useful. If you get something nice that's not for your craft skill, sell it or transfer it to your other character that does.

But there's really no limit on how many accounts you can make. Of course it quickly changes from being fun to "work".
  • Options
    backbite44backbite44 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really like the gateway system. Being able to "play" the game a bit while not at home is a great little distraction.

Like another poster mentioned, its simple and fun, right up my alley.:) Sitting in front of some virtual machine clicking away like in ddo was a total turnoff for me. This is the first game i've played with this type of option and I am very happy with it.

That said, am I coreect in assuming that you basically craft for lower level alts, or am I just behind the profession leveling curve on my main?

Overall very happy so far, I like my gaming fun, I do enough grindy work at work. :)
    Saved!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    But there's really no limit on how many accounts you can make. Of course it quickly changes from being fun to "work".

Exactly. and I wasn't thinking creating other accounts btw. It wouldn't surprise me that some folks did tho.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's fun, unlike some troll said doesn't really reward 'whales' (btw, "throwing money" at the devs is a way to help the game stay afloat considering all the skunks that plague it like cockroaches) because being able to craft through the browser you can craft even from work, it gives me useful items for my level (and nice looking too). yeah I like it and think it's good
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    backbite44 wrote: »
    That said, am I coreect in assuming that you basically craft for lower level alts, or am I just behind the profession leveling curve on my main?

Overall very happy so far, I like my gaming fun, I do enough grindy work at work. :)

I have a lvl 24 GF as main and probably I crafted more than you because I) had the opposite problem (stuff I could craft was a few levels ahead of my character) so I started levelling Leadership as well (and it actually rewards you with interesting things)
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mutharex wrote: »
    It's fun, unlike some troll said doesn't really reward 'whales' (btw, "throwing money" at the devs is a way to help the game stay afloat considering all the skunks that plague it like cockroaches) because being able to craft through the browser you can craft even from work, it gives me useful items for my level (and nice looking too). yeah I like it and think it's good

Will be necroing this once you get past crafting level 5 so you can see how stupid you sounded when you said it

You haven't been here very long, so I forgive your ignorance, for now...

EDIT :
    ... I have a lvl 24 GF as main ....

figures
  • Options
    demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't you just lose a whole bunch in pvp and buy epics? Why even bother crafting?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    demamp wrote: »
    Can't you just lose a whole bunch in pvp and buy epics? Why even bother crafting?

free constant source of AD with leadership, shirts and pants.
  • Options
    northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013

How do you craft from work on your browser?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    free constant source of AD with leadership, shirts and pants.

That's great but it doesn't really address my post. Don't you use AD to buy epics? You can get all your epics from facerolling pvp.
  • Options
    vertisonevertisone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited May 2013
    wow thanks for this didnt know it even existed
  • Options
    northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    OK, that is pretty frickin awesome! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OK, that is pretty frickin awesome! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the dark side, and now watch your productivity fall into the abyss...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Will be necroing this once you get past crafting level 5 so you can see how stupid you sounded when you said it

You haven't been here very long, so I forgive your ignorance, for now...

EDIT :

figures

I am at lvl 7 in platesmithing, thanks a lot. So?

And sorry if I enjoy playing the game instead of power levelling to 60 in a week (or less) ;)
  • Options
    blupa2010blupa2010 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems good so far but not got far into it yet.
    ~ Neverwinter Fan Site~ Builds-Guides+More!!