test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

crafting system good or bad?

Comments

• dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Different. Good or bad TBD. So far so good tho.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    travail01 wrote: »
    I agree 100%. I said right from day one that it felt to me like I was running a business, telling my employees what to make for me. You're more of a business man than a skilled professional in your own right.

Not a terrible system, but it's unfortunate that you can pay Astral Diamonds to make the process instant, and that you need rare crafting mats (only found in packs you have to purchase with Zen) for the fastest and best crafting jobs. These things undermine an otherwise decent, albeit quite casual, crafting system.

-Travail.

There are 2 types of tokens you get for invoking. One caps out at 7 tokens that you can have at any one time, but for 5 of those tokens, you can get a profession pack that can contain rare profession stuff, so I'd check it out when you get a chance. I've also been concentrating on the mercenary profession, and part of its focus seems to be on getting materials for other professions. Additionally, I've gotten some rare crafting stuff from higher level skill objects, (like dungeoneering or thievery).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I find it absolutely infuriating that the blue recipes are always a level or two above where you currently are. Make the blue rare recipes level appropriate. Seems like a no brainer. Also, the limited and boring amount of recipes make crafting just tedious rather than useful, IMHO.
  • atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My thoughts... it's mostly useless.

If you don't pay zen to speed the process, you're going to quickly outlevel your crafting profession for usable gear. It's a joke and a scam. Leadership is the only thing worth anything because it nets you money, xp and diamonds.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My thoughts... it's mostly useless.

If you don't pay zen to speed the process, you're going to quickly outlevel your crafting profession for usable gear. It's a joke and a scam. Leadership is the only thing worth anything because it nets you money, xp and diamonds.
    Assuming you don't run alts of course; if you do run alts, having someone to make gear for them is helpful. On which note:
    Pro: No reduction of exp when doing lower level crafts.

Separately, I wish there was some way to see my inventory from gateway so I can easier plan how much resources I have to make all these items..
  • selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    You cant make the best stuff without spending zen or spending millions of ad
    edited May 2013
    selonw wrote: »
    You cant make the best stuff without spending zen or spending millions of ad

But you don't have to.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deleted due to double
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ALSO those pesky BLUE rares are not found only in packs..they do drop in the nodes from time to time...I have mustered about 50 of each just from harvesting runs since I began playing.

I have yet to see a purple drop but if they did I would be satified by that.. I know in eq2 you can get rares and ultra rares from harvesting...I hope so here too.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    every piece of crafted gear should be "scales with player level"

that's the ONLY way to get it to match level to player if they level fast or slow.

also time to hire a worker needs to be faster... but it would be nice if Charisma effected that some, like a base 10 charisma is 10 hours, every point over 10, makes it aster by 30m, but every point lower than 10 adds another hour.

edit to add: the gear leveling with player would retain it's color and it's +x stat, so only it's other stats would level with player

so a +1 green sword, would still be a +1 green sword, no matter what level, it's just the stats that would be diffrent for an item that was a few levels higher that would change if the player gained 2 levels... they would still have to craft the +3 to get a +3 sword.
    edited May 2013
    every piece of crafted gear should be "scales with player level"

that's the ONLY way to get it to match level to player if they level fast or slow.

also time to hire a worker needs to be faster... but it would be nice if Charisma effected that some, like a base 10 charisma is 10 hours, every point over 10, makes it aster by 30m, but every point lower than 10 adds another hour.

edit to add: the gear leveling with player would retain it's color and it's +x stat, so only it's other stats would level with player

so a +1 green sword, would still be a +1 green sword, no matter what level, it's just the stats that would be diffrent for an item that was a few levels higher that would change if the player gained 2 levels... they would still have to craft the +3 to get a +3 sword.

The +x is directly related to level range as far as I can tell, so they would've to completely change the item system for that to work.

But as for suggestions:
    1) Allow the player character itself to work in place of a worker, where the player character can improve in crafting skill and such. (crafting skill increasing speed bonus and quality). Of course, while crafting the player character cannot go questing.
    2) Allow pausing and continuation of crafts. This is directly related to the above point, but also relevant when a rare craft pops up.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The crafting system is nice. I don't use alts to get materials fast, I have no hurries and simply level as I get things. I'm maxing Leadership on my GWF and starting Leatherworking on my TR.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it really seems pointless tbh, what can you make worth while and all that effort you ahve to put into it.
    edited May 2013
    teethx wrote: »
    it really seems pointless tbh, what can you make worth while and all that effort you ahve to put into it.

Well, shirts, pants, and astral diamonds, mostly. :p
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Well, shirts, pants, and astral diamonds, mostly. :p

"I'm a master platesmith. Would you like to buy this shirt?"

I'm just wondering how I can afford all to those workmen or are they just slaves?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    teethx wrote: »

I chose to focus on the merc profession, which gives me Astral Diamonds and gold, but if the other professions can't make items at least on par with random level 60 drops, then they're kinda pointless.

Do the shirts and pants that go under your armor actually do anything, (i.e. provide any bonuses)?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Something I did notice and found odd was that at level 14 platesmithing gathering mithril ore gets you 4 pieces, on mailsmithing at same level gathering same ore you only get 2....no idea why.
  • ianwagnerianwagner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was shocked today when I compared lvl 20 purple crafted plate armor vs what is on the AH. You can currently buy an entire set of Indomitable armor for less than the cost of ONE Dragon Egg. So crafted armor costs over four times as much as BoE dungeon armor, has no set bonuses, and there is no guarantee even with all your crafting assets being purple you will even get crafted armor with an augment slot.

You would craft endgame purple armor why?

Endgame crafted armor needs some love, or its not worth trying to get to lvl 20 in a profession. Either revamp its stats, or give it stats, and set bonuses, on par with tier TWO armor, as that is how much effort/cost goes into being able to craft it.
  • ianwagnerianwagner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Do the shirts and pants that go under your armor actually do anything, (i.e. provide any bonuses)?

Yes, shirts and pants have stat bonuses, so that 'is' something that can be crafted as a purple item (when the recipe 'churns' up in the rotation) that, AFAIK, isn't available better as a dungeon drop. But to get your crafting profession to 20 to discover its only use is as a Hanes/Fruit of the Loom employee is a bit of a letdown.
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Worst I've ever seen.

Crappy click and wait system where almost no rare drops are found in the world to craft with. The tools can only be found in gamble bags.

Getting a full set of tier one and still only at level 14 mailsmithing with the timers going non stop. You can pay to advance the system but why bother it's only for completionists.
    edited May 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    I personally am surprised to say how much I like crafting in Neverwinter.

Clicking a button and waiting.
    I haven't historically been into it in other games

No experience?
    useful

If anyone has ever managed to level them before having gear maxed out.
  • chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bad. Worst crafting system of any game I've ever done crafting in. Boring, boring, boring.

I keep hearing people who don't like crafting in other games say that they love it here. That's how you do it! Ask people who don't like crafting to design the system. Ugh!
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like the crafting system, I think its way better then any other D&D models in fact. Its kool how you "hire" miners and what not and do little quests with leadership. Definitely good. They got this aspect right imo. Great crafting system.
  • lappdancerlappdancer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is pretty bad, I've only really run leadership. I tried the crafting a little bit but after putting in some effort it still didn't get me anywhere close to using items for my level.

Leadership has really no progression. My characters are level 11-12 (one's almost 13) and I'm still running the level 4 protect the caravan quest. Doesn't really look like it is going to change much as I level it up more either.

There just really is no sense of balance between time or rewards. It's like someone closed their eyes and mashed the number pad to determine how long a task takes.
    edited May 2013
    The key to this whole mess is the pay to speed things up mechanic.

It shouldn't be there to make your profession level with you, its should be there to speed up the starting of a new one if you fall behind the curve or are new to the game.
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I ignored the crafting system till I leveled my toon to 60, now Im working on getting leadership to 20 (17 right now) and then will work on using this toon to craft for my alts and for selling on the AH. You cannot progress crafting fast enough to be of use to your first toon...Im hoping that I can make it useful for the others. Thinking Mail Smith should be next as that benefits two classes not just one.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • buckem420buckem420 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the Professions system for the most part, the only minor dislike is that I need purple tools to make 3rd tier pants/shirts and can not currently afford them (and have had no luck from the zen store profession packs).

I am hoping the better quality leadership assets (swords, armor) will actually be beneficial in some way at some time, currently they seem to do nothing

I used to play FFXI and still remember doing crafting and blowing up millions in materials in a single crafting attempt so I enjoy the no risk, no paying attention method of crafting.
  • daxtax86daxtax86 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I really LOVE the Gateway, I find myself spending so much time regardless of where I am checking out my auctions and especially sorting crafts, this has become a mini-game becides the game for me, so huge thumbs up for that :)

As for the actual crafting, I like how it actually takes time to get to max level, sure you can pay AD's and increase faster but generally speaking I like the duration it takes per task handled. The rare rotation of crafts is decent and all but I still wish there would be endgame dropable recipies or atleast somehow obtainable personalized reicpies, since at lvl ~15+ you get like 2-3 greens tops per level, so outside of lvl 20 epic shirt/pants; crafting is kinda worthless (not including Leadership, which can obviously give you chests and AD's).

All in all I like the design but I'd like some personalized / endgame additions to it.
    GM aka "Mafia Boss" of <Midget Mafia> Danish guild @ Beholder.

Main: "Daxt", Trickster Rogue @ Beholder.
    Alt: "Daxt-Two", Great Weapon Fighter @ Beholder

Tune in @ http://da.twitch.tv/daxt86
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I love it!!! Because when crafting isn't as complex and amazing at Star Wars Galaxies' crafting system (We're not talking about SWTOR here) then I don't want to spend all my time starring at a UI window crafting window!

In NW, I can spend a few seconds to set everything up, start crafting and come back later or the next day!
  • par4nauticpar4nautic Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for your thoughts! I personally am surprised to say how much I like crafting in Neverwinter. I haven't historically been into it in other games, but I find that professions are balanced in a way that makes them useful and worthwhile, but without requiring me to babysit them. Which is right up my alley. ;)

Uhm.. really? Shirt and Pants are the only useful things to craft right now (except Leadership crafting)... that's actually really sad because the overall crafting-system isn't that bad... can we expect more useful garment's added to the epic-crafting-list in the near future, or even bloody recipes?