test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Its open beta guys! Hats off to PW.

cetra07cetra07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Anyone can play neverwinter and the zen store and astral diamonds are 100% running. Real money is being made.

Is there really a fricking difference between beta or release? You can even call it open alpha, open charlie, open deta if you want. Its just a term.

Cryptic can hide behind the beta curtain while taking in 100% revenue from the game.

One month since "open beta" THERE HAS BEEN ZERO FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS TO THE CORE GAME. Its has all been about fixing exploits that impact their profits. What the hell are they doing everyday in the office?

Good business. Ppl paying for a half finished game while the devs took their own sweet time to fix the game. Its open beta. ROFL.

Zen value has dropped to a new low. Im amazed at how many ppl are buying zen and trading it for AD. I keep seeing millions AD worth items being snapped up in the AH.

PW really knows how to suck cash from gamers. They really know their stuff. SCrew the gamers as long as they keep paying.
Post edited by cetra07 on

Comments

• Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    >he thinks making video games is easy
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What does beta have to do with money? Beta is a software state while in development. Not to mention, all purchases are optional. If you choose to spend money, you do so knowing the game is in beta.

If you are getting "Screwed", you did it to yourself.
  • Options
    mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    First not-victim to post!!!
  • Options
    cetra07cetra07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    What does beta have to do with money? Beta is a software state while in development. Not to mention, all purchases are optional. If you choose to spend money, you do so knowing the game is in beta.

If you are getting "Screwed", you did it to yourself.

Beta really? One month with no fixes except for exploits. The game seems perfect to me.
  • Options
    liquidc86liquidc86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

lol....

everyone works for whatever they are good.
    for me its not easy to make video games but it is to repair hardware and computer parts.
    they are paid to make video games...
    and in my world, if you are not good you are fired.
    nothing to see here
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh hey another crying thread. Can never have enough of those.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can tell it's open beta because you don't have to pay a subscription!

:)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    It's launch the day they open the zen store and start accepting payments.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's launch the day they open the zen store and start accepting payments.

Where is this rule written?
  • Options
    morpheas768morpheas768 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @cetra07, I'm trying to disagree with you, I really am. But I cant because the fact of the matter is that PWE is deceiving their customers.
    Calling a donkey a horse, will never make it a horse no matter how much you want to believe it. Likewise, they can call this game open beta all they want, but that doesnt change the fact that it is a soft release (or slow launch, whatever you wanna call it).

Open beta is about testing the software to expose any bugs and issues that the developers themselves might have missed, and the closed beta group missed it as well.
    It does NOT mean that it is the final product, therefore its only good honest business to not charge people money for it, and if you do, then it should be done in a careful manner. PWE arent demanding payment for their F2P game, but they do allow people to pay as much as they want, regardless of the state of the game. I've had 2 friends so far who were banned for no reason, even though they spend real money for their characters, and they bought founder's packs as well.

Beta is about testing and not about releasing a faulty product to the public. At least if you want to release it to the public, take safety measures such as announcing a full server wipe when the beta test is over, giving people some initial e-cash to spend to the store (if they want to test the store), making the Beta test a true Open Beta, like it should be.

All that said, I'd still be fine with how things are, IF the game wasnt "exploit-friendly", IF it didnt have so many different and frustrating bugs, and IF everyone was on the same even playing field.
    Right now the people who exploited the game in the first week are filthy rich, and at least some of them are not banned (I do know some yes), the economy is completely changed to a whole new level because of the exploiters, and so many other things I cant be bothered to mention atm.

Still wanna call it open beta? Sure go ahead. For me it isnt though.
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cetra07 wrote: »
    Is there really a fricking difference between beta or release? .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Yes

Your points are moot.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    One month since "open beta" THERE HAS BEEN ZERO FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS TO THE CORE GAME.

...and that's when I stopped reading. Troll smarter, not harder.
  • Options
    noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    @cetra07, I'm trying to disagree with you, I really am. But I cant because the fact of the matter is that PWE is deceiving their customers.
    Calling a donkey a horse, will never make it a horse no matter how much you want to believe it. Likewise, they can call this game open beta all they want, but that doesnt change the fact that it is a soft release (or slow launch, whatever you wanna call it).

Open beta is about testing the software to expose any bugs and issues that the developers themselves might have missed, and the closed beta group missed it as well.
    It does NOT mean that it is the final product, therefore its only good honest business to not charge people money for it, and if you do, then it should be done in a careful manner. PWE arent demanding payment for their F2P game, but they do allow people to pay as much as they want, regardless of the state of the game. I've had 2 friends so far who were banned for no reason, even though they spend real money for their characters, and they bought founder's packs as well.

Beta is about testing and not about releasing a faulty product to the public. At least if you want to release it to the public, take safety measures such as announcing a full server wipe when the beta test is over, giving people some initial e-cash to spend to the store (if they want to test the store), making the Beta test a true Open Beta, like it should be.

All that said, I'd still be fine with how things are, IF the game wasnt "exploit-friendly", IF it didnt have so many different and frustrating bugs, and IF everyone was on the same even playing field.
    Right now the people who exploited the game in the first week are filthy rich, and at least some of them are not banned (I do know some yes), the economy is completely changed to a whole new level because of the exploiters, and so many other things I cant be bothered to mention atm.

Still wanna call it open beta? Sure go ahead. For me it isnt though.

Hi there, entitled twit # 3453320. This is PWE's game, if they say it's in an open beta state, then that's what it is. It does NOT matter what you feel or think or say. Please wrap your head around that.
  • Options
    liquidc86liquidc86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the game is in pre-alpha ...
    we are all family and friends trying the game.
    no worries
    nothing to see here
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    Hi there, entitled twit # 3453320. This is PWE's game, if they say it's in an open beta state, then that's what it is. It does NOT matter what you feel or think or say. Please wrap your head around that.
    Oh really? Well then, since it doesnt matter what I (or anyone else for that matter) think, then why is there even a forum? Change the forum to an announcement page with no comments or anything from the playerbase, and just let the people read the announcements.

Oh thats right, these things are there for a reason.
    /sarcasm

Now having said that, the game isnt in beta. Its PWE's game? So what. I can still believe anything I want. I could think that this is the best or worst game ever made. None of your business and none of PWE's business. Like I said already, PWE can call their game whatever they want. It doesnt change my opinion though.

"For me it isnt though" - Read what I said, thank you. Now go back under your bridge.
  • Options
    eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    >he thinks people get payed to make videogames.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there really a fricking difference between beta or release?

Nope.
    You can even call it open alpha, open charlie, open deta if you want. Its just a term.

Or open season.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    eros1986 wrote: »
    >he thinks people get payed to make videogames.
    People do get paid to make video games, just not by the playerbase. They are usually paid by the publishing company, in this case its PWE.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The thing to wrap your head around is that once money started changing hands, the term they use is irrelevant. It changes nothing, save for further limiting what can and will be done when serious issues arise.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    The thing to wrap your head around is that once money started changing hands, the term they use is irrelevant. It changes nothing, save for further limiting what can and will be done when serious issues arise.
    But hey, its still in beta. The money changing hands will get fixed :trollface:
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited May 2013

On PWE's site all of their games are listed and labeled according to current status (open beta, live, etc). Neverwinter is labeled as live.

So if PWE chooses to tell people that NW is live, who are you to dispute those who agree with them ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    On PWE's site all of their games are listed and labeled according to current status (open beta, live, etc). Neverwinter is labeled as live.

So if PWE chooses to tell people that NW is live, who are you to dispute those who agree with them ?

There is a tiny letter "L" which was confirmed as a mistake. I love how haters just overlook the HUGE BANNER that say "Now in Open Beta!"

Huge Banner > Tiny Letter

Everyone tells you it's open beta. You just plug you ears and scream "NO IT ISN'T"
  • Options
    pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That beta excuse is looking like a tiny tattered banner held by one of a dwindling set of remaining die hards whilst the masses are packing up and leaving.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah.. "The masses" are packing up and leaving. You have nothing that backs that statement up.
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    There is a tiny letter "L" which was confirmed as a mistake. I love how haters just overlook the HUGE BANNER that say "Now in Open Beta!"

Huge Banner > Tiny Letter

Everyone tells you it's open beta. You just plug you ears and scream "NO IT ISN'T"

They've also opened the Zen Market and have been accepting money. Regardless of whatever label they choose to give the status of the game, it doesn't excuse them from certain responsibilities of a Live game that's accepting money.

Case in point, despite the numerous exploits, the rollback, they won't wipe the game. You don't wipe a live game, only a beta. They even issued an apology/caturday reward. You don't apologize for a exploit rollback in a beta, but you do for a launched game. That's just not done for a true open beta. So despite what they want to label it, their actions show it's a soft launch.
  • Options
    noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    They've also opened the Zen Market and have been accepting money. Regardless of whatever label they choose to give the status of the game, it doesn't excuse them from certain responsibilities of a Live game that's accepting money.

Case in point, despite the numerous exploits, the rollback, they won't wipe the game. You don't wipe a live game, only a beta. They even issued an apology/caturday reward. You don't apologize for a exploit rollback in a beta, but you do for a launched game. That's just not done for a true open beta. So despite what they want to label it, their actions show it's a soft launch.

PWE says it's beta. Who the f r u and why do you think anyone gives a flying f what you think?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »

Where is the definition that confirms these rules? Beta is the development state of software. Nothing more. That is all it is. Seriously.
  • Options
    druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    PWE says it's beta. Who the f r u and why do you think anyone gives a flying f what you think?
    They can call it whatever they want, their ACTIONS prove it's a soft launch.

Beta:
    Players are testers.
    Players are expected to find bugs and exploits.
    No money is accepted by game company.
    No apologies issued for game breaking exploits because it's a testing phase.
    Game is wiped prior to launch because of bug/exploit testing.

Launch:
    Players are customers.
    Players are expected to play.
    Money is accepted by game company.
    Game company apologizes for any serious game breaking exploits that require a rollback.
    Game is not wiped.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Where is the definition that confirms these rules? Beta is the development state of software. Nothing more. That is all it is. Seriously.
    By that definition, every single MMO is constantly in beta since it's constantly in development.
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't even understand what the OP's complaint is....
This discussion has been closed.