Options

Weird, weird game.

2»

Comments

• Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    drachehexe wrote: »
    After about 20 levels with each class I gotta say this game is pretty ridiculous.
    sssssh don't say this. There will be hordes of fanboys ready to bash your thread...
    A D&D 3rd person shooter. Yep, that's what this game is and it's really not D&D. At level 20 my characters have attacks that do 2000 damage. That's not D&D. I tried to enjoy the action based combat, but it sucks with a keyboard and with no 360 controller support, well...

The mechanics and abilities in this game bear little, if any, resemblance to actual D&D rules.

Fanboy will come and say "Hey, if Craptic/Perfect Scam Entertainment say it's D&D, well, it's D&D". LOL
    Neverwinter has only some names of classes/skills, places and environments taken from Forgotten Realms campaign settings. Everything outside of this, it's a classic gear grind, holy trinity, instance farm based theme park (just like a lot out there: everquest, rift, sw:tor, wow, and so on). Neverwinter has a combat with no tab targeting but you must aim with a crosshair and not a lot of skills just like other classic theme parks, in combat using skills you are rooted in place just like with static combat, so no really an action combat (hint: try gw2 or some shooter mmo to see a real action combat).
    Neverwinter has a GREAT tool called Foundry, playing only for the stories and the quests in the Foundry can be very very nice.

steppenkat wrote: »
    Because this is a computer game and not tabletop, programming involves revolving around having limited choices to focus on.
    Well, or Craptic devs doesn't know a bit about programming or Turbine devs (the makers of DDO Dungeons & Dragons Online) are godly saint in programming. Because in DDO you have a lot of the great customization and flexibility of D&D 3.5 (multiclass, equip not linked to a specific class, free to take any talents you want, any spell, any enhancements, and so on). And DDO is a MMORPG just like Neverwinter, only more D&D (or, at least, the good D&D, not the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> D&D 4.0) than Neverwinter
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I actually think sticking to the ground during a skill makes it more interesting. One of the devs explained this was a conscious decision.

You have to be careful when using a skill and you can also dodge giving it a more action feel. You can't dodge in FPS and you simply can't compare that genre where aiming really matters and you can be one shot.

What does it matter if it's not a "real" action combat or a "real" mmo? Why the heck does this even matter? I find the combat fun in this game and that's a simple, honest opinion. That doesn't make me a fanboy.

If you hate the game so much why do you even bother posting on the forum? It's never crossed my mind to waste time doing that. If I don't like it I don't even want to think about it.
  • Options
    mauktovormauktovor Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i felt the same weird feeling, i ve been playing D&D, AD&D for so many years when i was younger, hopefully Gary Gygax didnt have to watch his game becoming this ...
    D&D wasn't designed to work has it is today, and even more the core of the game was the story and interaction between players and npcs to solve plots, not simply door > monsters > treasures...here we have no choices, we can not fail, there is nothing to lose, it is so dull !!!
    At least neverwinter nights had it right for the mecanics and they had done nice storyline.

aside from the fact that this game has nothing to do with D&D, it is a nice 3D Hack&Slash game as diablo 3 should have been.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    redlance wrote: »
    Well, or Craptic devs doesn't know a bit about programming or Turbine devs (the makers of DDO Dungeons & Dragons Online) are godly saint in programming. Because in DDO you have a lot of the great customization and flexibility of D&D 3.5 (multiclass, equip not linked to a specific class, free to take any talents you want, any spell, any enhancements, and so on). And DDO is a MMORPG just like Neverwinter, only more D&D (or, at least, the good D&D, not the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> D&D 4.0) than Neverwinter

1.- This isn't 3.5.

2.- If DDO is so fantastic, gud, and whatsoever, what are you doing here, wasting your time, and not playing such an AWESOME game?

I fail to see the brilliant reasoning you have to waste your vastly better employed time here with us, NW scrubbies.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    Sucks with a keyboard? Do you even play fps games? I never want to use a controller to aim. Maybe you shouldn't be playing any pc games if you don't like the keyboard and mouse.

Even though I am a keyboard and mouse addict I have to agree with the OP about lack of 360 pad support the last two Cryptic games had it, Raiderz another PWE game had it and I THINK Rusty Hearts has it. Makes no sense Neverwinter not having it.
  • Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    1.- This isn't 3.5.
    And stilll in D&D 4.0 there are more choices than the one actually in Neverwinter
    2.- If DDO is so fantastic, gud, and whatsoever, what are you doing here, wasting your time, and not playing such an AWESOME game?
    I'm not wasting my time, I'm playing Neerwinter only for the GREAT quest made by Foundry authors (Craptic devs, learn from them how to do nice and interesting quests, not the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you did with the storyline). All the other aspects of the game (gear grind, lack of customization, not-so-action combat, and so on) hurt me a bit so I say that the game could be better by being more D&D and less Everquest-WoW-LotRO-SW:TOR-clone
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    It's because the (Laser) Devoted Cleric doesn't use a weapon, but a symbol. They shoot divine energies of dewm to punish and pewpew unbelievers.

The Cleric wielding weapons are the Templar and the War Clerics, a different kind of build/class, similar to the diference between the GWF and GF.

hahahaha ... yea. I just feels weird thats all, almost never use that thing either in most of his move. I agree with the build, it more like war cleric than the name itself, devoted cleric, or even the paragon divine oracle
  • Options
    drachehexedrachehexe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nymesis92 wrote: »
    Get to level 60 and do end game content scrub..then come back and make a post.

You called me scrub...how did you know I was a doctor?

This game is neither interesting or challenging enough to WANT to get to level 60. Just because you're boorish enough to like the weak 25+ levels it takes to get to interesting content

Oh, and the MUSIC is horrible annoying and repetitive and that "crowd mumble" sound in the city is terrible. That dam mumble is consistent through the whole city and doesn't change even if no one is viewable. I have to turn down ambient sound when in the city and had to turn music off completely it was so annoying.

And fanboys can kiss my ***. I'm not telling them they shouldn't play it.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most of your points are reasonable given your limited exposure to the game. The game begins to get hard around level 40, you might die for the first time in the early 40s and from there solo content becomes "moderately" difficult. As in, you can still do it, but if you make a mistake, you will die. A drow boss one-shotted me on a level 59 quest when I failed to move fast enough. I have also been effectively one-shotted (it was more like 10 hits total from several mobs) in a foundry vs a peon rogue enemy that got behind me for 1/2 a second doing 12k damage on a crit.

At 60 it is not hard at all to be killed in even the "on level" open areas, much less instances or vs a boss. Not as bad if you have all epic gear, but try being 60 in blue/green starter gear and you will die often!

As for it not being d&d, d&d is whatever WOTC says it is and that is governed by whoever pays for the rights to make a title using the name..... its not 1980 anymore. I agree with you, but by definition, its D&D. Personally I would rather stick with 3 or 3.5 but that is over, and won't be coming back. So while I agree, that just makes us both wrong :)

All I can say is: the foundry adventures, many of them, are awesome. The casual play is fun. The difficulty is about right for solo/duo play. 5 man stuff is dull due to lack of fight mechanics and incompatible groups of poorly designed classes and unskilled players, unless you have 5 skilled buddies. Most games, a PUG raid is awful, sure, but a 5 man? 5 noobs should be able to muddle it out after a wipe or 3. Here, that is not the case for the mad dragon and higher content.

Neverwinter nights is not even remotely related to this game, they share the same geography. I think it was slightly underhanded to use the name, which DOES tie some folks into it from nostalgia, but that is the fault of the consumer really. Also can't blame the game for AH prices etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I understand my experience of the game is limited. I am also not what one would call a "hardcore" gamer. I play lots of games. LOTS. But never do I play a game to where I have to be the absolute best at anything. I don't min max stats or character builds so so I can brag about "best dps" or whatever. I just want a fun and compelling game experience. I have so many games as it is to play it really doesn't make sense to play easy spoon fed and boorish content for 40 levels just to get to the good stuff. A 40 level "beginners mode" is what people seem to suggest this game has and that's just weird.

I agree, some foundry quests were very nice that I have done, I had hoped to make some myself but at this time I find the game overall uninteresting and uninspired enough to keep me playing.

I wasn't complaining about AH prices, just stuff you can buy with Zen like mounts and that. I don't the AH in any MMO all that much.

I'm sure I'll come back and give it a try a few months after it's officially released. But hopefully the devs do read and maybe at least think about what we say here in the forums. Honestly, if they just fix the NPCs so they don't look like they are staring blankly into emptiness that would go a long way for me.
  • Options
    xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand my experience of the game is limited. I am also not what one would call a "hardcore" gamer. I play lots of games. LOTS. But never do I play a game to where I have to be the absolute best at anything. I don't min max stats or character builds so so I can brag about "best dps" or whatever. I just want a fun and compelling game experience. I have so many games as it is to play it really doesn't make sense to play easy spoon fed and boorish content for 40 levels just to get to the good stuff. A 40 level "beginners mode" is what people seem to suggest this game has and that's just weird.

I agree, some foundry quests were very nice that I have done, I had hoped to make some myself but at this time I find the game overall uninteresting and uninspired enough to keep me playing.

I wasn't complaining about AH prices, just stuff you can buy with Zen like mounts and that. I don't the AH in any MMO all that much.

I'm sure I'll come back and give it a try a few months after it's officially released. But hopefully the devs do read and maybe at least think about what we say here in the forums. Honestly, if they just fix the NPCs so they don't look like they are staring blankly into emptiness that would go a long way for me.

Who said they aren't listening? They've yet to do a single large patch yet. Only several small hotfixes. If you don't like the game in it's current state then take your recommendation of coming back later. From the sounds of it, you're not into it and didn't bother to get passed 30.

Beginning game is pretty boring, I have 3 level 60s and I'm a freaking casual player. Two of them are decked out, it just isn't that hard. I run with a good guild though, so it makes getting loot/AD really easy.

End game isn't hard, it just punishes stupid. Mix that with random lag spikes and it can get a whole lotta stupid. All bosses are beatable without exploits, but many of them can be cheesed. Castle Never typically is rogue, 2 clerics, 2 CW. Kind of sad, never killed the dracolich with a GF/GWF in the group, all though we came close. That place takes around 2.5 hours to complete even cutting corners and few wipes, except for bosses.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you hate the game so much why do you even bother posting on the forum?

1) I never said I hated the game.

2) This is what the forums are for. People to voice their opinions about the game or ask/share info about the game.

3) You seem to be quite active in the forum posting you opinion and offering advice to the devs because of what's wrong. What make syour *** so special that no one else gets to complain but you?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sucks with a keyboard? Do you even play fps games? I never want to use a controller to aim. Maybe you shouldn't be playing any pc games if you don't like the keyboard and mouse.

All I play are PC games. I kick *** at FPS's. This is not an FPS. This should have controller support. And you don't really have to aim in this game.