test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weird, weird game.

drachehexedrachehexe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
After about 20 levels with each class I gotta say this game is pretty ridiculous. I LOVE this games visual look..it is one of the most detailed and beautiful games out there. Everything else is pretty crappy.

Here's some of my peeves about this game.

A D&D 3rd person shooter. Yep, that's what this game is and it's really not D&D. At level 20 my characters have attacks that do 2000 damage. That's not D&D. I tried to enjoy the action based combat, but it sucks with a keyboard and with no 360 controller support, well...

The mechanics and abilities in this game bear little, if any, resemblance to actual D&D rules.

Rogues are the worst developed class. Stealth is essentially useless. Why limit it? D&D rogues can hide in shadows indefinitely if they aren't discovered. Disarming traps was a total waste of programming. Traps do insignificant damage, no one I have ever seen stops for a trap.

Level 29 fighters rolling need on that level 25 dagger I actually need? What the hell? Everybody just needs on everything. Normal dungeon running is like endgame raids in other MMOs. You gotta do them several times just to get one **** piece you can use.

Obnoxious pop up interface windows the second you're in game. Thanks, but I don't want to immediately jump into PvP or a dungeon and I already have that quest that you shove in face.

Can't move the stealth meter. It's in the god **** way.

Where's 3D support?

Challenge is, well, weak. I don't think I ever died solo, rarely ever needed to use health pots. Not really challenging at all. I think between all the characters I played I died just 3 or 4 times. Most of the time was in dungeons on boss fights because too many adds.

Why so many **** currencies? Zen, astral diamonds, gold...and market items WAY overpriced.

Bad bad bad HORRIBLY bad npcs. It's nice that they're voiced for giving you quests and stuff but the don't even look at you...they stare blankly into space like I'm not even there. Even companions and filler npc's have blank expressions.

Companions in dungeons? REALLY? 5 wasn't enough, you let us have 10?

I'm sur eI think of more later but it's not going to be worth posting, this is enough to rally turn me off from the game. Especially the horrible separation from the D&D rules.

Aside from the graphics being top notch for this type of game there just isn't anything here for me. This is Neverwinter in name only, the heart of what made Neverwinter Nights great is, sadly, gone.
Post edited by drachehexe on

Comments

• bowtie8bitbowtie8bit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And yet it will generate profit for Cryptic and PWE, and that's what matters. Only the qualities necessary will be invested. It's like PC Gaming Famine in the world right now.
  • vheeshanevheeshane Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hopefully ESO comes out sooner than later
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    drachehexe wrote: »
    A D&D 3rd person shooter. Yep, that's what this game is and it's really not D&D. At level 20 my characters have attacks that do 2000 damage. That's not D&D. I tried to enjoy the action based combat, but it sucks with a keyboard and with no 360 controller support, well...

D&D is basis on the rule set not the gameplay, so I dont think its a problem even the game is action Hack-n-slash.
    The mechanics and abilities in this game bear little, if any, resemblance to actual D&D rules.

racial trait, Feat skill, Power skill, class speciality, I think its close enough, there are background and deity, not affecting the game though.
    Rogues are the worst developed class. Stealth is essentially useless. Why limit it? D&D rogues can hide in shadows indefinitely if they aren't discovered. Disarming traps was a total waste of programming. Traps do insignificant damage, no one I have ever seen stops for a trap.

well, if you know the combination of Power skill and feat your stealth can go almost as long as you wanted too
    Level 29 fighters rolling need on that level 25 dagger I actually need? What the hell? Everybody just needs on everything. Normal dungeon running is like endgame raids in other MMOs. You gotta do them several times just to get one **** piece you can use.

Ninja loots exists yea, but if you saying everybody just needs on everything, it was incorrect. I'm 44 do queue mostly, yet I find players do "need before greed" most of the time
    Why so many **** currencies? Zen, astral diamonds, gold...and market items WAY overpriced.

I believe they have intention to reduce the price on the game, but when the AD-Zen is the only avaible exchange things become so different

this one I agree, so many slot 1 to summon only
  • beanyundeadbeanyundead Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    After about 20 levels with each class I gotta say this game is pretty ridiculous. I LOVE this games visual look..it is one of the most detailed and beautiful games out there. Everything else is pretty crappy.

Here's some of my peeves about this game.

Why does it suck with a keyboard? I find it extremely good. Another statement without explanation. And of course it’s not D&D. Table-top D&D is designed for two to six players with a Dungeon Master in charge. This, in case you missed it, is an MMO without a Dungeon Master, itself supporting the interactions of thousands of people.

Ah, yes. Because if they did, we would have to play combat as a turn-based initiative ordered strategy game.

Traps do tremendous amounts of damage later on and when they are combined with other traps they can kill you instantly. It happened to me in a Foundry Quest. Rogues are a very well developed class that, in my experience, balance well. They do lots of damage and the stealth element allows them to move behind guardians. Perma-Stealth would make them dominate the game.

Sorry that has been your experience but it is, to my personal knowledge and I know a lot of people playing Neverwinter, that it is not the norm. And remember that if a Rogue chooses Need on, say, a Shield, they might be levelling a Guardian Fighter of their own and want it for that purpose.

Obnoxious pop up interface windows the second you're in game. Thanks, but I don't want to immediately jump into PvP or a dungeon and I already have that quest that you shove in face.
    Ah, you don't have to jump in immediately if you don't want to. As for the obnoxious interface? How can the interface be obnoxious? Is it refusing to close? Is it swearing at you? Do you mean 'the pop-up interface window that I personally, for no currently explained reason, find annoying, even though it takes a second to close it and it never again appears unless you specifically press L'.

Can't move the stealth meter. It's in the god **** way.
    In the way of what? Specifically, how has its placement negatively affected your experience...'cause I don't have a clue.

Where's 3D support?
    Huh?

Challenge is, well, weak. I don't think I ever died solo, rarely ever needed to use health pots. Not really challenging at all. I think between all the characters I played I died just 3 or 4 times. Most of the time was in dungeons on boss fights because too many adds.
    Good for you not dying but you obviously have not been playing the same quests as my guild and I.

What items are overpriced and what makes you say that? As for the 'many currencies'...there are three of them. Gold for normal items, astral diamonds to you can get Zen through game-play and Zen, so you can buy additional items online if you wish to.

Bad bad bad HORRIBLY bad npcs. It's nice that they're voiced for giving you quests and stuff but the don't even look at you...they stare blankly into space like I'm not even there. Even companions and filler npc's have blank expressions.
    The simple nature of the NPCs is to allow the Foundry system to work which is one of the more amazing aspects of Neverwinter. If you go into the Foundry and perhaps make the community a quest or two, you will see how character animations are scripted.

I don't understand this statement. I can only have one companion with me at any time.

I'm sureI think of more later but it's not going to be worth posting, this is enough to rally turn me off from the game. Especially the horrible separation from the D&D rules.

Aside from the graphics being top notch for this type of game there just isn't anything here for me. This is Neverwinter in name only, the heart of what made Neverwinter Nights great is, sadly, gone.

Well, that's your opinion and I respect it. I don't agree but I respect it

BTW My comments are all in the quote above. I found your comments unsubstantiated. I like Neverwinter but I am not going to argue against a negative statement backed up by evidence. All you have put forward are unsubstantiated opinions.
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Too many adds? What is an add? Do you mean 'advertisement' because if that is the case you are not playing the same game. Good for you not dying but you obviously have not been playing the same quests as my guild and I

Ugh... please don't give them any ideas. :/

" Chartilifax the Mad Dragon brought to you by Nvidia... the way it's meant to be played™"
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sucks with a keyboard? Do you even play fps games? I never want to use a controller to aim. Maybe you shouldn't be playing any pc games if you don't like the keyboard and mouse.
  • asdfasdfgfasdfasdfgf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 237 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Too many adds? What is an add? Do you mean 'advertisement' because if that is the case you are not playing the same game. Good for you not dying but you obviously have not been playing the same quests as my guild and I
    I think you're confusing his short hand for additional monsters(re: adds) to the word ad, which is short hand for advertisement.
  • beanyundeadbeanyundead Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    Ugh... please don't give them any ideas. :/

" Chartilifax the Mad Dragon brought to you by Nvidia... the way it's meant to be played™"

LOL - I take it back I take it back!
    edited May 2013
    asdfasdfgf wrote: »
    I think you're confusing his short hand for additional monsters(re: adds) to the word ad, which is short hand for advertisement.

Ah, is that what he meant. Thanks for the reply.
  • inmydotinmydot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    BTW My comments are all in the quote above. I found your comments unsubstantiated. I like Neverwinter but I am not going to argue against a negative statement backed up by evidence. All you have put forward are unsubstantiated opinions.

He says "adds" not "ads". "ads" are advertisements. If you don't know what "adds" means, go look it up :P
    edited May 2013
    inmydot wrote: »
    He says "adds" not "ads". "ads" are advertisements. If you don't know what "adds" means, go look it up :P

My bad. Thought he had a typo and added an extra 'd'. I have personally never heard of 'add' meaning additional monster. But you live and learn. :) I'll take it out of my post.
  • barambalnwnbarambalnwn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A D&D 3rd person shooter. Yep, that's what this game is and it's really not D&D. At level 20 my characters have attacks that do 2000 damage. That's not D&D. I tried to enjoy the action based combat, but it sucks with a keyboard and with no 360 controller support, well....

Neverwinter is based on D&D 4th Edition. Which is NOT D&D, but it's pretty much what D&D 4th Edition looks like.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you like Stealth you need to build for it, you can't have everything. My TR has a permaStealth build but in exchange she has no burst damage. She can solo everything though, and she's lots and lots of fun :P
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter is based on D&D 4th Edition. Which is NOT D&D, but it's pretty much what D&D 4th Edition looks like.

D&D is another edition of D&D. There is no "true" or "fake" editions. You may like X or Y but you shouldn't consider yourself entitled to state what is allowed to be enjoyed and what isn't.
    Characters:

• blackhawke90blackhawke90 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some uppity level 20 thinks he knows about this game's difficulty. The real game starts at 30, Helm's Hold to be precise. That's when the gloves come off and things slowly start to go to hell in a hand basket. At level 60, content is really challenging and punishes you hard for making mistakes and playing badly. I actually like this system, it encourages players to develop more skill rather than being too derpy to even step outside of the red circles.
  • suliramsuliram Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried stepping out, I jumped out I ran out but every time the mob still hit me with a hard blow.. So now, I plant my feet and slash away, hoping I wont die ;)
  • noshiznoshiz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    srsly ? at lvl 30? is anyone around here 60?
    fs_49316d8a5de21281b0f4fc8f0089006b.png
  • theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    NeverWinter Nights was close to DnD, with all the combat rolls, RP, etc. This game isn't anywhere near DnD material - An 8 dex player isn't going to be able to just "dodge" attacks willie nillie like you can in this game.

And the most important question of all:
    Why is my cleric only able to wield a giant hand mirror as a **** weapon?
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    noshiz wrote: »
    srsly ? at lvl 30? is anyone around here 60?

I am, can't say I've seen too much that was very challenging, although I never tried doing epic dungeons... and I rolled a CW. :D
  • barambalnwnbarambalnwn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    D&D is another edition of D&D. There is no "true" or "fake" editions. You may like X or Y but you shouldn't consider yourself entitled to state what is allowed to be enjoyed and what isn't.

I didn't say 4th Edition is bad. I meant to say that it's basically a different game compared to what D&D has been for over 20 years, and to what 'old school' PnP players were used to play: new skill system, new playgame, a new feeling of the game itself.
    Neverwinter reflects that feeling in my opinion, but it's not even a "classic" RPG, it's an Action RPG.
    I personally didn't like D&D 4th Ed. but the first thing i thought when i played it was "This is meant to be a videogame." :)
  • qelem72qelem72 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NeverWinter Nights was close to DnD, with all the combat rolls, RP, etc. This game isn't anywhere near DnD material - An 8 dex player isn't going to be able to just "dodge" attacks willie nillie like you can in this game.

yeah I am kinda over the Hand Mirror myself :( Nice hammer and shield would go a long ways with me :)
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013

I'm a DC and I'm wondering that too, strange weapon build, more like upside down flail or morningstar to me
  • odainekromosodainekromos Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to Neverwinter!

I hope you saw the new Patch that nerved some Quest rewards! LOL
  • naughtypussycatnaughtypussycat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ranguren wrote: »
    I'm a DC and I'm wondering that too, strange weapon build, more like upside down flail or morningstar to me

Its a symbol. Meant to channel divine power.
    edited May 2013
    It's because the (Laser) Devoted Cleric doesn't use a weapon, but a symbol. They shoot divine energies of dewm to punish and pewpew unbelievers.

The Cleric wielding weapons are the Templar and the War Clerics, a different kind of build/class, similar to the diference between the GWF and GF.
    Characters:

edited May 2013
    qelem72 wrote: »
    yeah I am kinda over the Hand Mirror myself :( Nice hammer and shield would go a long ways with me :)

I want a staff.
  • nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Get to level 60 and do end game content scrub..then come back and make a post.
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    It's because the (Laser) Devoted Cleric doesn't use a weapon, but a symbol. They shoot divine energies of dewm to punish and pewpew unbelievers.

The Cleric wielding weapons are the Templar and the War Clerics, a different kind of build/class, similar to the diference between the GWF and GF.
    I shouldn't be limited on choices. I equally shouldn't be forced to have one armor class. Why can't my cleric wear padded armor as part of the RP process? Why am I forced to worship only a select few gods and not my chosen; Lurue?
    edited May 2013
    I shouldn't be limited on choices. I equally shouldn't be forced to have one armor class. Why can't my cleric wear padded armor as part of the RP process? Why am I forced to worship only a select few gods and not my chosen; Lurue?

Because this is a computer game and not tabletop, programming involves revolving around having limited choices to focus on.

You must take in account that this is, firstly, an MMO, not Neverwinter Nights 3.

I bet that there will be more options in the future, but not lets be obnoxious and say we can't play a game because it doesn't fit 100% your expectations.

NwN didn't ever had Drow, you always had to dye elves in black and pretend they were Drow.

I do the same with a Half-Elf. Sure, the system reads me as "Half-Elf", but she's tan and I RP her as a Half-Drow. The limited game options don't stop me of having fun. :)

You can also pick Silvanus/Selune and pretend you worship Lurue.
    Characters:

• kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dude just plug in an XBox Controller and download XPadder, no one is stopping you form using a Controller and only need to use Keyboard. I play with an XBox 360 Controller and it awesome, you can bind everything to it. And level 20 only and you putting the game down? You still starting out and a noobs, try get to some higher level because whining. Or the game is just not for you, just move along then. No one is stopping you from doing that either.

And companion especially FREE one can only go to level 15, they died all the time in 5 Man Dungeon anyway making them absolutely worthless. They are all cap and only help most of the time to solo.