Install Arc
Options

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• Options
    preludeiipreludeii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    It's a good way to get banned, so...uh...go for it I guess?

EDIT: I'd also like to point everyone to this thread;

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?301322-Unofficial-Official-Trade-Channels-for-Dragon-Mindflayer-Beholder

Arent the custom channels limited to a certain number of players? If yes, doesn't that make it effectively useless?
  • Options
    ana1963ana1963 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do I stop the ******* Armoured Nightmare spam?
  • Options
    shroommageshroommage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People are scum and pvp seems to bring out the worst in people. Hell, I've been put off even grouping in this game by the naked greed, selfishness and tantrums. I've been playing LOTRO for many years and was looking for something new. I had high hopes of NW but compared to the server I play on in LOTRO the NW 'community' is little more than a pack of feral dogs.

This isn't due to the people. It's due to poor design. In NW there is no reason not to roll need on every item, especially if you've been randomly selected as party leader. In GW2 there is very, very little greed between players in a group. This is because they don't have need/greed rolls. Everyone gets their own loot and never even sees what other players receive. You also can't inspect other players, which means you won't get kicked because your GS is too low. Even resource nodes are phased so that players can't ninja them from each other. GW2 has quite a few flaws, but they've done a great job of preventing hostilities between players that are supposed to be working together.

If you want people to play nice, don't give them a reason to resent each other, and don't give them tools that are easy to abuse.
  • Options
    zdrahonulzdrahonul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's people like you two that cause the real issues. I post once and get chat banned from EVERYTHING for 24 hours. You are missing the point. Ban me from zone, fine. But from everything else? That's a joke.

2 days ago I was chat banned for "LF1M CN," not even spamming it. What should I use when I need to find people? What do you suggest zone chat be used for? Roleplaying? Get off your high horse and look at the real issue.

Zone chat is NOT to be (ab)used for trading. If there's a dedicated trading chat, use that and that alone.
    As for punishment severity, a zone ban only would not teach anyone. A punishment has to hurt more than just telling someone "you naughty you". it should sting. A full chat ban stings, all right, and that's expected behavior.

IMO (I might be wrong, that's how I see things though) zone chat should be mostly for Q&A and role playing. Nice people asking zone-specific questions and nicer people answering them. Occasional "I have looted XZY item, is it any good?" should be allowed, but what you did is called SPAM in my book. Same goes for everyone else yelling "WTB WTS LFG WTF OMG BBQ" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in zone chat.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so don't spam problem solved.

it takes 20 people? should be more like 5-10

say 5 for a 1-hr ban and 10 for a 24-hr ban

if you annoy 20 people so much that they report you, hell should be a 7-days game ban and 30-days chat ban.

don't.

f'ing.

spam.

problem.

solved.

seriously how hard is this to comprehend? oh but then we are talking about idiots who can't even find the trade channel
  • Options
    zdrahonulzdrahonul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    walk2k wrote: »
    seriously how hard is this to comprehend? oh but then we are talking about idiots who can't even find the trade channel

I didn't know until today, for two big reasons:
    1. I don't trade publicly
    2. I thought everyone us supposed to trade in the Zone channel, which made me wondering who made such a dumb design decision. Turns out all who trade on the ZTone channel are spammers. Woo-hoo, lots and lots of people to report now. Should keep me busy for a while :)
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's not super easy to find, but if you take 2 minutes to look thru the chat options, the "custom channel" thing presents itself pretty clearly, from there isn't difficult to type "trade" and viola... granted that's the trade channel for all of cryptic games or whatever (star trek?) but the helpful people there kindly directed me to the NW trade channel(s).

and yes I spent a few minutes turbo-reporting everyone who spammed in zone, but it got boring pretty quick, and there are sooo many of them it's not worth it. just turn off zone when in town...
  • Options
    theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    ana1963 wrote: »

Game developers protected and supported spam feature. Its annoying, aye. I don't care to keep hearing who won one, specially when it pops up in a foreign language.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Because this is how Chat works in all PWE games. Cryptic didn't 'put it there'. They implemented the PWE system. If you don't like it here you won't like it in STO.

Umm...news flash. PWI is not the developing studio for Champions Online, Star Trek Online, nor are they the developing studio for Neverwinter. CRYPTIC IS. PWI are the backers. Both CO and STO were produced and released BEFORE the PWI buyout. So tell me...how did PWI put anything in these games? Especially since this game is basically a copy/paste of the engine from the previous two games?

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    sereenawindsereenawind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I see the point which it seems others are missing. If you get Zone banned fine you are banned from zone but don't ban from ALL chats because of 1 area. That DOES NOT make sense. I do like the idea of a time limit between chats. I've seen it used on other MMO's and it does help. But it doesn't help if every time you are allowed to chat you repeat the same thing!
    May the Good Lord keep you always in His Loving Arms
  • Options
    holthar1stholthar1st Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You are literally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Instead of facing the issue, you just want everyone to stay out of zone chat? I have a solution for you, turn your zone chat off.

No, you are literally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I have a solution for YOU stop whining and trolling in the forums, contact customer support. The other people replying to you are all right. It has to be a major inconvenience or whats the sense of banning a single chat channel in the first place.

Face it, you're throwing a tantrum because you want it your way...WELL THIS AIN'T FRIGGING BURGER KING!!!

enjoy your mini vacation...Que, the beach scene, dancing girls, girls feeding you grapes (of wrath) and the margarita girl
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ana1963 wrote: »
    Game developers protected and supported spam feature. Its annoying, aye. I don't care to keep hearing who won one, specially when it pops up in a foreign language.

THIS RIGHT HERE.

So everyone has to deal with spam, and not just spam from the chatbox, but SPAM THAT FLASHES ON YOUR SCREEN. Often right in the middle of combat. And so that it blocks view for a few precious seconds. Yet it's immune to player moderation. But it's spam. Can't report it, though. Game developers WANT you to see it.

Also...I'd like to ask...where is it written that zone chat isn't for selling or trading items?
    Where are these "MMO Etiquette" rules written down?
    How are people being made aware of them, if they are somewhere able to be read?
    How would YOU feel if a group of people suddenly decided that whatever YOU were using zone chat for was spam and started banning you?
    What gives you the right to enforce your will on someone else?

In my personal experience over the last fifteen years of online gaming, EVER SINGLE MMO I've played has had zone chat positively filled with LFG requests, sales requests, trade requests , general gameplay questions from newbs, troll comments, people just talking back and forth....why is it such an issue all of a sudden? Only in THIS game is it being made a big deal over...and I'm currently playing TERA, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Defiance, and DCUO. I beta tested for the new Marvel game and...yup. Same zone style chat as always. In every single game.

This is also the only game company that has a chat that operates in this fashion, where a PLAYER has the ability to silence another player. Maybe all those other game companies don't do it BECAUSE ITS A BAD IDEA. Omigod, the notion.

I'm going to end this post with this little statement: In the last ten years of gameplay...I have never had zone chat on for more than a cursory glance to check what's going on, and to see that it hasn't changed in a decade. I care not to be bothered by whatever passes through it, but I do on occasion check on it, so I know that it hasn't changed.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zdrahonul wrote: »
    Zone chat is NOT to be (ab)used for trading. If there's a dedicated trading chat, use that and that alone.
    As for punishment severity, a zone ban only would not teach anyone. A punishment has to hurt more than just telling someone "you naughty you". it should sting. A full chat ban stings, all right, and that's expected behavior.

IMO (I might be wrong, that's how I see things though) zone chat should be mostly for Q&A and role playing. Nice people asking zone-specific questions and nicer people answering them. Occasional "I have looted XZY item, is it any good?" should be allowed, but what you did is called SPAM in my book. Same goes for everyone else yelling "WTB WTS LFG WTF OMG BBQ" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in zone chat.

Get off your high horse. Show me the rule, in writing that describes what is considered chat abuse. Until then, your argument is absolutely invalid.

EDIT: How many lines of role-play in zone chat do you honestly believe a person could get through before being chat banned?

2nd EDIT: People asking questions get chat banned very frequently. Many people disagree with your opinion of what is and isn't chat abuse. Who is right? Remember, the majority does not determine what is abuse. It only takes 20.
    walk2k wrote: »
    it's not super easy to find, but if you take 2 minutes to look thru the chat options, the "custom channel" thing presents itself pretty clearly, from there isn't difficult to type "trade" and viola... granted that's the trade channel for all of cryptic games or whatever (star trek?) but the helpful people there kindly directed me to the NW trade channel(s).

and yes I spent a few minutes turbo-reporting everyone who spammed in zone, but it got boring pretty quick, and there are sooo many of them it's not worth it. just turn off zone when in town...

That is not an official trade channel, and it is not a valid solution.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zdrahonul wrote: »
    Zone chat is NOT to be (ab)used for trading.

That's great and all that, but he wasn't chat banned for trading.
  • Options
    aarcherraarcherr Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just before i was looking to do dungeon delves and trying to find another cleric for our group when i was banned /silence for spamming , even tho the whole chat was others typing in chat about getting a party in zone , i don't mind being banned from zone , however what the **** the point of banning from every chat method in the game , are they trying to force us to not play for the day ? i was planing of being on for probably another 7 hours since i got nothing on today , however i cbf even being on for 1 hour since the game is horrible not being able to communicate cant even get a decent party or tell people how were going to do this in the group

now im stuck with another 23 hours of chat ban left so ill probably wont play in till its over since theirs nothing to do with it on unless you like party with no coordination, unless your fortunate enough to get a party that knows what there doing , worse thing is theres no way to appeal the ban so im stuck with this (that i know off )
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    aarcherr wrote: »
    just before i was looking to do dungeon delves and trying to find another cleric for our group when i was banned /silence for spamming , even tho the whole chat was others typing in chat about getting a party in zone , i don't mind being banned from zone , however what the **** the point of banning from every chat method in the game , are they trying to force us to not play for the day ? i was planing of being on for probably another 7 hours since i got nothing on today , however i cbf even being on for 1 hour since the game is horrible not being able to communicate cant even get a decent party or tell people how were going to do this in the group

now im stuck with another 23 hours of chat ban left so ill probably wont play in till its over since theirs nothing to do with it on unless you like party with no coordination, unless your fortunate enough to get a party that knows what there doing , worse thing is theres no way to appeal the ban so im stuck with this (that i know off )

You can send in a ticket, but there is little to no chance that you'll receive a response before the ban expires, if at all.

Apparently in CO and STO the problem is so rampant that many people actually avoid speaking in any public channels altogether.
  • Options
    ireportyuireportyu Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    If anyone online right now on Dragon Server would like to see firsthand how stupid this system is, please leave a reply.
  • Options
    kem0727kem0727 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was trying to get a group. Apparently I tried too hard. My 3 lines of chat gets me banned for 24 hours yet I see people spamming all kinds of stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

[System Notify] You've been flagged as a spammer. A customer service representative has been notified. You may chat again in 24 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds.
    Awww hell, banned again !

ban.jpg
  • Options
    jaidentjaident Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^ lol I would have flagged you for that, working as intended.
    Join responsible gamers and boycott the Xbox One
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jaident wrote: »
    ^ lol I would have flagged you for that, working as intended.

Oh good, you're on Dragon. Tell me, do you still feel this way?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Kem0727, anything that brings attention to yourself will get you chat banned. Notice that several other people stopped their LFG and WTS messages close to the time you did. A lot of people want to play in silence, but for whatever reason refuse to disable zone chat. Really sucks, too, because you can't even respond to that tell.
    ireportyu wrote: »

Just have at it. Nobody's going to notice or care if you're too selective. I say take everyone down. Also, I'm fairly certain you can report people across servers and probably even across games.
  • Options
    vaelyrvaelyr Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    @kem - Thats borderline report status IMO.

I probably wouldn't report you if that was all, but I would have been tempted. Doesn't bother me if people post stuff like that regularly, but I am not a fan of people who post multiple times in a row.
  • Options
    bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    woibot00 wrote: »
    Do you think the report spam feature is inherently flawed and easily exploitable?
    Do you have the ability to run multiple instance of neverwinter (up to 20) or a group of people willing to run them?
    Do you want to hand out 24-hr silences like they're free candy in an attempt to get a quicker fix for a broken chat system or just to ruin someone's day?
    If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, do I have the script for you!

For use in AutoHotKey
    #IfWinNotExist Silencer
    F1::
    Gui, Add, Text,, Victim:
    Gui, Add, Edit, w150 vvictim, @
    Gui, Add, Text,, nv#:
    Gui, Add, Edit, w50 vLCount, 22
    Gui, Add, Button, default, Silence...
    Gui, Show,, Silencer
    return

ButtonSilence...:
    Gui, Submit
    AIndex = 0
    SetTitleMatchMode, 3
    loop, %LCount%
    {
    	AIndex++
    	WinActivate, nv%AIndex%	;switch between neverwint windows
    	sleep, 500
    	send, /
    	sleep, 500
    	send, ignore_spammer %victim%	;report victim as spam
    	sleep, 500
    	send, {enter}		;send chat
    }
    Gui, Destroy
    return

F2::Pause		;if something goes wrong, press F2 to stop
    F5::Reload		;for editing purposes while script is running /save press F5

#IfWinActive, Silencer	;Closes Gui but keeps script running when pressing esc or the X
    Esc::
    Gui, Destroy
    GuiClose:
    Gui, Destroy

@21 Reports, you get 24hr Chat Ban.

Press F1 to launch the gui
    Enter your victims @handle -- zone chat is full of victims
    Followed by the number of instances/accounts you're personally running -- Ideally (if you're doing this as a group) you want a total of 20+ish accounts (between you all).
    By default the script looks for "nv1" through "nv#" where # is whatever you enter for that value in the gui.

You'll also need something to change the window title of each game instance.
    By default they're all 'neverwinter'. The script needs a way to distinguish between them.
    murgee.com/window-title-changer/ -- a free program that lets you set the window title to open programs. There may also be a way to change this via launch parameters, but I'm not sure how.

Simply click 'Silence' and watch it go to town sending a spam report on your victim for each instance you have open. It takes roughly 20 reports to give someone a 24hr silence, so the more accounts you can run or the more people you have doing it, the easier it is.

The hardest part of doing this solo is getting the number of accounts you need. There seems to be a long cooldown on how many you can register with perfect world during a given amount of time. I currently have 6 accounts ready to go with characters on Dragon and hoping I'm able to register more later today.

0Ini0u1.jpg

Enough said.The system needs to be revised/improved.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Of course I do. Not sure why you think my opinion would have changed. Your twelve your old behavior won't change my twenty-six year old behavior, sorry kid. I will report every single spammer I happen to see and that won't change :o
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Of course I do. Not sure why you think my opinion would have changed.

I was hoping the near immediate silence after your post, with you having likely said nothing in game would have sparked the idea that maybe something was wrong. I guess not =/
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I was hoping the near immediate silence after your post, with you having likely said nothing in game would have sparked the idea that maybe something was wrong. I guess not =/
    lol well I was playing and didn't see your reply. You don't understand that I report spammers, not random people who say things I don't like or who I feel like lashing out against. That is childish behavior, I am a little too old for that, as much fun as it is sometimes.

I don't use zone chat more than say, once or twice a day, most days not at all, so you won't see me in chat regardless, which is why your silencing me is pointless.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lol well I was playing and didn't see your reply. You don't understand that I report spammers, not random people who say things I don't like or who I feel like lashing out against. That is childish behavior, I am a little too old for that, as much fun as it is sometimes.

I don't use zone chat more than say, once or twice a day, most days not at all, so you won't see me in chat regardless, which is why your silencing me is pointless.

But you see, not everyone does that. And the system is just there catering to them the way it is now.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But you see, not everyone does that. And the system is just there catering to them the way it is now.
    Don't know what to tell you, I can't control what other people do or how people act. I use the system as intended, I use report spam as intended, I don't understand what your message is. You posted a screenshot of yourself spamming, I said I would have reported it, you used some kind of voodoo magic to silence me despite the fact that I almost never use zone chat and have never spammed a thing.

Some kind of logic you are trying to use here. Might want to rethink how you try to get your message across, you won't be convincing very many people. You are only making yourself look like a fool.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Don't know what to tell you, I can't control what other people do or how people act. I use the system as intended, I use report spam as intended, I don't understand what your message is. You posted a screenshot of yourself spamming, I said I would have reported it, you used some kind of voodoo magic to silence me despite the fact that I almost never use zone chat and have never spammed a thing.

Some kind of logic you are trying to use here. Might want to rethink how you try to get your message across, you won't be convincing very many people. You are only making yourself look like a fool.

That screenshot wasn't of me spamming, that was someone else who got silenced. And to be fair their amount of 'spam' was questionable-- I don't remember if it was 2 or 3 lines or something. Something I probably would have /ignore'd for. But that's beside the point.

I think it's great that you use the system as it's intended to be used. The fact is that other people don't and they're the reason I'm trying to get it changed. When it can and is being abused it is no longer 'working as intended'. Right?
  • Options
    codewizardcodewizard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My solution: Tickers
    Horizontal tickers for both trade and LFG/M message. Spam them like crazy. If you type WTB, WTT or WTS in the zone chat, automatically filtered from zone chat and flung into the trade ticker. Ditto for L(n)FG etc. The customize UI feature means you can put it where ever it suits you. As long as I can turn it of and enjoy my Guild Only or Party or Zone chat without the spam I'm happy.

Enthusiasm for what you want is no excuse for spamming anything. I abhor spammers. Just because you say something louder or more often, doesn't make it more attractive, just more annoying.
This discussion has been closed.