Install Arc
Options

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• Options
    bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »
    I did read your first post. My statement stands. Nearly response I've seen here disagrees with you. This thread is only still going because you're the only one replying to everyone for your side of it. Don't spam. There's no "Well you should have the ability to spam this much." Just don't ****ing spam. End of story.

I don't think you understand how the system works. The marks don't necessarily get erased until you're muted. You may have gathered them over time.

If you really want to see how much everyone feels about it, create a poll and we'll express our opinions in number.

In fact, to hell with it. I'll make one.
    how about I login on Dragon and say @keeganfox just ninjaed my cleric helm please all report spam him in guild and zone chat, then I login my other char in Mind Flayer.
    Think it might not work?Guess again and check the screenshots i posted earlier of other people doing that.
    Are you seriously that mentally deficient that you do not see the issue with the system here??
    You are the one that does not understand the system due to your mental capacity.
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SIMPLE SOLUTION FOLLOWS: (Please Read...YES You too Devs)

Add a channel to chat, call it trade...problem solved...NEXT helping number 567
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah something needs to be done
  • Options
    shroommageshroommage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I kind of find it cute that people here actually think any of this matters and that anything is going to change. Do you honestly think a few complaint posts in the newest game compares to the YEARS of complaints in the other two games? Nothing was done in CO, nothing was done in STO, and nothing has been promised here. Just a statement meant to placate.

Sometime in the future, when Cryptic releases its newest 4th game. A few grizzled vets will laugh and cry as the cycle repeats itself once again.

And the AD exploit was in STO, too. What caused them to finally fix it?

All we need is 20 players...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No it will make the offender think twice before he types ANYTHING into zone. He will realize that Zone crosses all the instances and that anything he says or does can and will be used against him, so he better think twice before he pulls the trigger.

No, it will make him uninstall the game because the message received didn't tell him WHY he was banned from chat. WHY do you think a just system is one where a mere 20 people can decide what is and isn't allowed.

Suppose there was a phone number. You could text any license plate to this number. If a certain number of people text a single plate to the number, the owner of the vehicle has their license revoked for some period of time. Does that sound appealing to you? If so, you've stated your opinion. Thank you for your feedback.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    KEEP QUIET THEN AND DON"T DRAW ATTENTION TO YOURSELF. And soon enough, presto, the Zone will be a clean, quiet and calm place, the 'silencing' will wear off and the problem will be solved.

I see. That's an interesting vision.
  • Options
    silencebettiesilencebettie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shroommage wrote: »
    No, it will make him uninstall the game because the message received didn't tell him WHY he was banned from chat. WHY do you think a just system is one where a mere 20 people can decide what is and isn't allowed.

Suppose there was a phone number. You could text any license plate to this number. If a certain number of people text a single plate to the number, the owner of the vehicle has their license revoked for some period of time. Does that sound appealing to you? If so, you've stated your opinion. Thank you for your feedback.
    +1 Awesome!
  • Options
    asashiroasashiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shroommage wrote: »
    And the AD exploit was in STO, too. What caused them to finally fix it?

All we need is 20 players...

I actually went ahead and registered 20 accounts. Unfortunately after the third or fourth account they stopped activating despite clicking the link in the emails and I can't log in to all of them yet. I'm guessing there's a limit per ip for x amount of time. Soon... indiscriminately, all of zone. Maybe then the issue will get resolved.
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »
    how about I login on Dragon and say @keeganfox just ninjaed my cleric helm please all report spam him in guild and zone chat, then I login my other char in Mind Flayer.
    Think it might not work?Guess again and check the screenshots i posted earlier of other people doing that.
    Are you seriously that mentally deficient that you do not see the issue with the system here??
    You are the one that does not understand the system due to your mental capacity.

So do it. What's stopping you? I'm the mentally deficient one? You're the one making idle threats.
    If it's so easy, why aren't more people doing it?

Maybe because more people don't want banned.

Someone please explain to me how you report a spammer when you don't see them typing. Frankly I think you'd get yourself a 24h mute if you went into a zone, could find the one I'm in, and started asking everyone to 'Report Spam' me. Because that's the only way I know to do it.

Educate me. I'm mentally deficient, remember?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, there are two simple chat commands. One, /ignore which does the same thing as right-click ignore. Two, /ignore_spammer, which does that same this as... you guessed it! Report Spam. And, the only thing you need is twenty-ish people and someones @handle.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or.... IGNORE. BOOM. You are making an argument that it stops gold spammers. They email you anyway, ban or not. Gold spammers aren't going away, they have been in every MMO spamming since the dawn of creation.

This hurts legitimate users.... Gold spammers just make new accounts.

There are FAR better options that other MMOs use to get rid of gold spam.

Nope. Gold spammers will go away, with a few minor adjustments. One game I worked for made it so people had to be a certain level to use the trade zone, which was the only place trade chat functioned. The minute someone spammed trade ads in any other zone than the AH zone, in any other channel, they got shut down.

So no - gold spammers will NOT just crank out another account. It becomes nice and inconvenient for them to have to play through the tutorial and get to a specific level in order to enter the AH zone each time they are shut down on a character they previously spammed in. Might be 2-3 hours of play to get to that level, but then they get shut down again in 30 seconds afterward. Then it takes 1-2 sting operations to find the account they have all their goods they are selling on, and that disappears too.
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    asashiro wrote: »
    Well, there are two simple chat commands. One, /ignore which does the same thing as right-click ignore. Two, /ignore_spammer, which does that same this as... you guessed it! Report Spam. And, the only thing you need is twenty-ish people and someones @handle.

Thanks, Asashiro. That's the first statement I've seen where the argument makes the report system unreasonable. If you're not in the same zone with someone, or haven't had a private message, it shouldn't count as a demerit against you. If you can't click on the chat someone sent you, a console command shouldn't tack on demerit points.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    asashiro wrote: »

Which, coincidentally....just so happens to be(90% of the time) located to the left of the person's post...in orange-yellow letters. Yup. Forum handles=ingame @names. Most of the time, thanks to PWI's integration of Cryptic.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Quoted from the STO forums:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=10317131#post10317131
    Hi Captains,

I will pass along your feedback, but this system is currently in place and working the way it should.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Emphasis mine.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No. It doesn't. Zone chat is a mess, innocent people do get banned even if you refuse to believe it and think i'm making this up for some reason. Forcing them to play solo or not play at all for 24 hours if they don't have access to other player's VOIP.

You've come into this thread to spout off about nothing, and keep saying "the system works."

You have yet to give one argument as to why it's necessary to have every chat banned with the report spam function.

You have refused to offer any solutions to a valid problem.

You're just here letting out hot air, go bother some other thread.

That's strange, I thought you stated I wasn't a troll who wasn't worth responding to.

Regardless, I did give one argument as to why it is necessary, and it is the only argument that is needed. This form of punishment has the necessay severity to try to make people stop misusing the chat. The fact that you are trying to deny that argument doesn't change the truth of it.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to let you know that I took a day off work and planned to play most of the day tomorrow.

But a couple of hours ago I got silenced due to undercutting other sellers in /zone with writing 3-4 times the same text [wts item for keys/gold] with a 20-30 seconds interval between each.
    You can check my logs.

I can't run dungeons , I can't talk to guildies , I can't PVP , I can't get a foundry group.I have decided not to be spending any money supporting your game [founders/guardian/zen etc] until I see you actually handling game breaking issues and getting better customer support.
    If you do not support your product why should I ?
    I will also not be spending any time in your game until next patch notes.If I like them.
    8x4ks4.jpg
    adlrw9.jpg

you were spamming. one message per minute or you ARE SPAMMING.

we are sick of it. there is a trade channel, use it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    no there isn't an official trade channel.1 message per minute is not what most people use in the zone chat.I would like a Trade chat.

Arguing the definition of spam is besides the point.
    We have proof that people abuse the system by saiyng <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is ninja plz all spam report him.

Also 1 message in 10 hours can still yield you a chat ban.
    A chat ban from the zone chat is fine , but being unable to talk to guildies or party/pvp/other PWE games is unacceptable and renders the product(s) /which some people have paid for/ useless.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I also can't understand how some people can say that its there to "protect us".
    Where is the protection here?

People are still selling and looking for group.

Gold spammers mega flood pretty much every 2 minutes , I am still getting in-game spam emails from them , although I myself can't send an email when silenced.I also can't play with my friends and group with people.They can just make another account and spam the city in 2 minutes again.

You "dear people" that advocate that the system is fine need to understand that unless SOMETHING is done the spam will continue no matter how many people you HATE REPORT.
    317gpsi.jpg
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Nope. Gold spammers will go away

LOL. I'm sorry, but that never happened.
  • Options
    metrynmetryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I've decided that my personal idea of spam is:

1. People that ask stupid questions.
    2. People that don't use English.
    3. People that complain about Zone Chat being used for non-AD trading.
    4. People that RP, because it annoys me.

So, since I'm part of this community, that means it's okay because I find it to be spam.

Until there's a trade channel, I'm going to keep following those rules. As well as gold spammers and people that spam their trades 100 times or their groups 100 times.

*Edit* 3 minutes and 2 BR guilds and 4 people asking about the AH are reported.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    More hate and nonsense

Keep spamming those pics and being obnoxious. Im sure its helping.
  • Options
    brodofragginsbrodofraggins Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I literally just got a 24 hour chat ban for spamming 6 lines of text in a span of 45-60 seconds, I even changed the text slightly after the first 3 spams as to not set off any spam detections, think I'm just going to quit this game, every 2nd day I'm either chat banned for not even spamming or the Auction House is offline (Both today), leaving absolutely nothing to do.

**** game.
  • Options
    theterrordeaththeterrordeath Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    The only way to get trade spammers out of Zone chat is to make it annoying to continue doing it. If you were just banned from zone chat, it wouldn't be annoying enough to stop it.

But now you want to stop it, don't you?

Also I never report anyone looking for a group or posting something every 30 seconds or so, but the trade spammers are terrible and I am helping clean it up.

lol, u missing the point of this thread. just get off and stop posting. <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>

i'm suport this thread, my friend have been banned just because chat in zone : "Hai everybody, morning !"

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

you the most <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, dont know what this thread point of view.
  • Options
    metrynmetryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's quite simple guys and girls. Since the whole chat ban system is based around what you feel is inappropriate, all you traders should just start reporting the people who are not trading in zone chat. It's inhibiting your money making ability and it offends you. Suddenly, when there's a flood of tickets about wrongful banning, just for talking in zone chat....maybe they will consider putting in a specific trade chat. (No, not some crappy channel that someone made that only holds 32 people.).

There's no rules to Zone chat, therefore anything could be reported. I'm having fun with it.

Also, with the AH down, how are you supposed to get anything. lol.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To those people who say that if this feature is abused we'll lose it forget it.

There are entire supergroups in CO dedicated to report spamming people announcing costume contests in Zone, it's the same chat server and the same Report Spam setup and nothing has been done about it despite it going on since the Atari days.

There is a reason why the contests channel is invite only these days and these people are it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    you were spamming. one message per minute or you ARE SPAMMING.

we are sick of it. there is a trade channel, use it.

Time to post that image again.

MsofNjV.png?1

What you posted was an ad hominem. Your argument is that the other poster's claims are invalid because you have personally ruled that he was spamming. His true actions are irrelevant to the discussion, as is your (or anyone's) definition of spam. What matters is what is possible and easy due to this system.

A group of 20 players could mute anyone who speaks in zone chat for 24 hours without repercussions. Does anyone refute this?

Keep in mind that the servers are international. Does anyone deny that players could exist who reports any non-English chat regardless of its context?

Suppose there is a player who enjoys helping others and answering questions. This player attempts to answer any questions asked by new players. Answering in zone chat rather than via whisper will allow other players who may have the same question to see the answer. Is it possible that at least 20 player could simply get tired of seeing his name and report him for spamming?

Are these examples of a system "working as intended," or are they flaws? Cryptic has stated that the system is working as intended and will not be changed. I want to hear from the rest of you, especially those of you who support the system. If you support the system in spite of its flaws, so be it. Simply say so. But I'd like to hear an explanation (other than "cause the devs said so") as to how these examples are not signs of a flawed system.

Even though I'd like to give everyone more credit, I want to avoid further ad hominems by pointing out that I do not use zone chat at all, so this actually doesn't affect me in any direct way.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    To those people who say that if this feature is abused we'll lose it forget it.

There are entire supergroups in CO dedicated to report spamming people announcing costume contests in Zone, it's the same chat server and the same Report Spam setup and nothing has been done about it despite it going on since the Atari days.

There is a reason why the contests channel is invite only these days and these people are it.

Their abuse is too specific and controlled. If they instead dedicated themselves to report spamming everyone from zone chat, a lot more people would care.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »

Hooboy! A channel that 41 other people use? 11 of them are even logged on! I'd sure rather try to sell them my gear than the 2000+ people in Protector's Enclave.

Until there is a channel for trading or lfg that everyone is added to by default that they can choose to opt out of there is no point to using anything other than zone.
This discussion has been closed.