test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chat Banned. Proof this system sucks.

Comments

• aarcherraarcherr Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    just before i was looking to do dungeon delves and trying to find another cleric for our group when i was banned /silence for spamming , even tho the whole chat was others typing in chat about getting a party in zone , i don't mind being banned from zone , however what the **** the point of banning from every chat method in the game , are they trying to force us to not play for the day ? i was planing of being on for probably another 7 hours since i got nothing on today , however i cbf even being on for 1 hour since the game is horrible not being able to communicate cant even get a decent party or tell people how were going to do this in the group

now im stuck with another 23 hours of chat ban left so ill probably wont play in till its over since theirs nothing to do with it on unless you like party with no coordination, unless your fortunate enough to get a party that knows what there doing , worse thing is theres no way to appeal the ban so im stuck with this (that i know off )
  • shroommageshroommage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aarcherr wrote: »
    just before i was looking to do dungeon delves and trying to find another cleric for our group when i was banned /silence for spamming , even tho the whole chat was others typing in chat about getting a party in zone , i don't mind being banned from zone , however what the **** the point of banning from every chat method in the game , are they trying to force us to not play for the day ? i was planing of being on for probably another 7 hours since i got nothing on today , however i cbf even being on for 1 hour since the game is horrible not being able to communicate cant even get a decent party or tell people how were going to do this in the group

now im stuck with another 23 hours of chat ban left so ill probably wont play in till its over since theirs nothing to do with it on unless you like party with no coordination, unless your fortunate enough to get a party that knows what there doing , worse thing is theres no way to appeal the ban so im stuck with this (that i know off )

You can send in a ticket, but there is little to no chance that you'll receive a response before the ban expires, if at all.

Apparently in CO and STO the problem is so rampant that many people actually avoid speaking in any public channels altogether.
  • ireportyuireportyu Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    If anyone online right now on Dragon Server would like to see firsthand how stupid this system is, please leave a reply.
  • kem0727kem0727 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was trying to get a group. Apparently I tried too hard. My 3 lines of chat gets me banned for 24 hours yet I see people spamming all kinds of stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

[System Notify] You've been flagged as a spammer. A customer service representative has been notified. You may chat again in 24 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds.
    Awww hell, banned again !

ban.jpg
  • jaidentjaident Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^ lol I would have flagged you for that, working as intended.
    Join responsible gamers and boycott the Xbox One
    edited May 2013
    jaident wrote: »
    ^ lol I would have flagged you for that, working as intended.

Oh good, you're on Dragon. Tell me, do you still feel this way?
    edited May 2013
    Kem0727, anything that brings attention to yourself will get you chat banned. Notice that several other people stopped their LFG and WTS messages close to the time you did. A lot of people want to play in silence, but for whatever reason refuse to disable zone chat. Really sucks, too, because you can't even respond to that tell.
    ireportyu wrote: »

Just have at it. Nobody's going to notice or care if you're too selective. I say take everyone down. Also, I'm fairly certain you can report people across servers and probably even across games.
  • vaelyrvaelyr Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    @kem - Thats borderline report status IMO.

I probably wouldn't report you if that was all, but I would have been tempted. Doesn't bother me if people post stuff like that regularly, but I am not a fan of people who post multiple times in a row.
  • bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    woibot00 wrote: »
    Do you think the report spam feature is inherently flawed and easily exploitable?
    Do you have the ability to run multiple instance of neverwinter (up to 20) or a group of people willing to run them?
    Do you want to hand out 24-hr silences like they're free candy in an attempt to get a quicker fix for a broken chat system or just to ruin someone's day?
    If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, do I have the script for you!

For use in AutoHotKey
    #IfWinNotExist Silencer
    F1::
    Gui, Add, Text,, Victim:
    Gui, Add, Edit, w150 vvictim, @
    Gui, Add, Text,, nv#:
    Gui, Add, Edit, w50 vLCount, 22
    Gui, Add, Button, default, Silence...
    Gui, Show,, Silencer
    return

ButtonSilence...:
    Gui, Submit
    AIndex = 0
    SetTitleMatchMode, 3
    loop, %LCount%
    {
    	AIndex++
    	WinActivate, nv%AIndex%	;switch between neverwint windows
    	sleep, 500
    	send, /
    	sleep, 500
    	send, ignore_spammer %victim%	;report victim as spam
    	sleep, 500
    	send, {enter}		;send chat
    }
    Gui, Destroy
    return

F2::Pause		;if something goes wrong, press F2 to stop
    F5::Reload		;for editing purposes while script is running /save press F5

#IfWinActive, Silencer	;Closes Gui but keeps script running when pressing esc or the X
    Esc::
    Gui, Destroy
    GuiClose:
    Gui, Destroy

@21 Reports, you get 24hr Chat Ban.

Press F1 to launch the gui
    Enter your victims @handle -- zone chat is full of victims
    Followed by the number of instances/accounts you're personally running -- Ideally (if you're doing this as a group) you want a total of 20+ish accounts (between you all).
    By default the script looks for "nv1" through "nv#" where # is whatever you enter for that value in the gui.

You'll also need something to change the window title of each game instance.
    By default they're all 'neverwinter'. The script needs a way to distinguish between them.
    murgee.com/window-title-changer/ -- a free program that lets you set the window title to open programs. There may also be a way to change this via launch parameters, but I'm not sure how.

Simply click 'Silence' and watch it go to town sending a spam report on your victim for each instance you have open. It takes roughly 20 reports to give someone a 24hr silence, so the more accounts you can run or the more people you have doing it, the easier it is.

The hardest part of doing this solo is getting the number of accounts you need. There seems to be a long cooldown on how many you can register with perfect world during a given amount of time. I currently have 6 accounts ready to go with characters on Dragon and hoping I'm able to register more later today.

0Ini0u1.jpg

Enough said.The system needs to be revised/improved.
    edited May 2013
    Of course I do. Not sure why you think my opinion would have changed. Your twelve your old behavior won't change my twenty-six year old behavior, sorry kid. I will report every single spammer I happen to see and that won't change :o
    edited May 2013
    Of course I do. Not sure why you think my opinion would have changed.

I was hoping the near immediate silence after your post, with you having likely said nothing in game would have sparked the idea that maybe something was wrong. I guess not =/
    edited May 2013
    I was hoping the near immediate silence after your post, with you having likely said nothing in game would have sparked the idea that maybe something was wrong. I guess not =/
    lol well I was playing and didn't see your reply. You don't understand that I report spammers, not random people who say things I don't like or who I feel like lashing out against. That is childish behavior, I am a little too old for that, as much fun as it is sometimes.

I don't use zone chat more than say, once or twice a day, most days not at all, so you won't see me in chat regardless, which is why your silencing me is pointless.
    edited May 2013
    lol well I was playing and didn't see your reply. You don't understand that I report spammers, not random people who say things I don't like or who I feel like lashing out against. That is childish behavior, I am a little too old for that, as much fun as it is sometimes.

I don't use zone chat more than say, once or twice a day, most days not at all, so you won't see me in chat regardless, which is why your silencing me is pointless.

But you see, not everyone does that. And the system is just there catering to them the way it is now.
    edited May 2013
    But you see, not everyone does that. And the system is just there catering to them the way it is now.
    Don't know what to tell you, I can't control what other people do or how people act. I use the system as intended, I use report spam as intended, I don't understand what your message is. You posted a screenshot of yourself spamming, I said I would have reported it, you used some kind of voodoo magic to silence me despite the fact that I almost never use zone chat and have never spammed a thing.

Some kind of logic you are trying to use here. Might want to rethink how you try to get your message across, you won't be convincing very many people. You are only making yourself look like a fool.
    edited May 2013
    Don't know what to tell you, I can't control what other people do or how people act. I use the system as intended, I use report spam as intended, I don't understand what your message is. You posted a screenshot of yourself spamming, I said I would have reported it, you used some kind of voodoo magic to silence me despite the fact that I almost never use zone chat and have never spammed a thing.

Some kind of logic you are trying to use here. Might want to rethink how you try to get your message across, you won't be convincing very many people. You are only making yourself look like a fool.

That screenshot wasn't of me spamming, that was someone else who got silenced. And to be fair their amount of 'spam' was questionable-- I don't remember if it was 2 or 3 lines or something. Something I probably would have /ignore'd for. But that's beside the point.

I think it's great that you use the system as it's intended to be used. The fact is that other people don't and they're the reason I'm trying to get it changed. When it can and is being abused it is no longer 'working as intended'. Right?
  • codewizardcodewizard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My solution: Tickers
    Horizontal tickers for both trade and LFG/M message. Spam them like crazy. If you type WTB, WTT or WTS in the zone chat, automatically filtered from zone chat and flung into the trade ticker. Ditto for L(n)FG etc. The customize UI feature means you can put it where ever it suits you. As long as I can turn it of and enjoy my Guild Only or Party or Zone chat without the spam I'm happy.

Enthusiasm for what you want is no excuse for spamming anything. I abhor spammers. Just because you say something louder or more often, doesn't make it more attractive, just more annoying.
    edited May 2013
    That screenshot wasn't of me spamming, that was someone else who got silenced. And to be fair their amount of 'spam' was questionable-- I don't remember if it was 2 or 3 lines or something. Something I probably would have /ignore'd for. But that's beside the point.

I think it's great that you use the system as it's intended to be used. The fact is that other people don't and they're the reason I'm trying to get it changed. When it can and is being abused it is no longer 'working as intended'. Right?
    You would have ignored but not reported, you are admitting there is a problem but not doing anything about it. More than one line is spam, seems like common sense to me. Pick a side, don't try to feed me nonsense.
  • shieldtowershieldtower Member Posts: 1,230 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because this is how Chat works in all PWE games. Cryptic didn't 'put it there'. They implemented the PWE system. If you don't like it here you won't like it in STO. Besides, you can't affect their bottom line by switching your expenditure to another of their products.

-snip-

You seem to be woefully misinformed about this feature.
    • Champions Online launched in 2009
    • Star Trek Online launched in 2010
    • PWE bought Cryptic in 2011
    • NW "open beta" started weeks ago

Cryptic did 'put it there', it's been a part of their chatserver functionality since Champions Online was in development. PWE had absolutely nothing to do with it.

And before you try to defend its use again I'd like to point out that at one time a Cryptic GM mentioned that this feature was intended only for the reporting of RMT spam, GMs would read the reports generated by using the function and that anyone using it incorrectly would be punished with varying levels of bans.

I'd LOVE to find that quote but I don't think you'd believe anyone named "Archived Post".
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • gollygeegollygee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    It's a good way to get banned, so...uh...go for it I guess?

EDIT: I'd also like to point everyone to this thread;

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?301322-Unofficial-Official-Trade-Channels-for-Dragon-Mindflayer-Beholder

The problem with that is that it is unofficial. That would be like saying "You cannot ask questions about the game here because there is an unofficial channel, albeit unknown to the majority of the community, for questions about the game" and then banning them. If people are being restricted from the game's services and your only retort is to use something unofficial and hardly known to anyone outside the forum to work around it then your whole defense is flawed. If there was an official trade chat I would be all for being strict with the trade spam in zone chat.
    edited May 2013

What about the AD exploit? You can easily say that using the AH properly would result in no problems, which would be true. You could also argue that the problem lies only with those who exploit it, and therefore a fix is not necessary, which would not be true.

This is the entertainment industry. It's best to avoid features that are known to impede the entertainment of people, misused or otherwise.
  • iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shroommage wrote: »
    Before I get to my post, I'm going to post an image that I want every single one of you to look at very closely.
    If your writing in any way resembles anything green or below, please refrain from posting.

MsofNjV.png?1

Now, onto my actual post.

First, the problem.

The system, though effective for hindering spammers, is very easily abused. Suppose there is a group of 20 or more players who have no qualms about chat banning players they don't like or don't agree with. Suppose these players share a guild. Suppose that any time one of them encounters someone they want banned, they simply post that player's name and handle in guild chat, and everyone in the guild reports that player. All of these things are possible given the current system.

Now suppose that instead of banning players they don't like, they ban everyone they see. It would be possible, even easy, for them to stand in PE, banning every single user that speaks in zone chat. In fact, to avoid being discovered and banned, they could even create alternate accounts. This would cause some obvious problems for everyone.

Next, the solution.

Cryptic has made it pretty clear that they have absolutely no intention of changing the system. It's cheap and easy for them. They've stated that reprogramming it would be unfeasible. Given the similarities (including recurring bugs) of every game that uses their engine, I'm inclined to believe them. They definitely don't want to fix it.

The creation of official trade and LFG channels would result in a great reduction of frivolous bannings, but the hypothetical griefing guild I mentioned is still very possible. This would also have no effect on people reporting their competitors.

The AD exploits had been floating around for a long time and were allegedly brought to Cryptic's attention. Regardless of whether or not these claims were true, Cryptic only acted when the problem was so severe that it threatened the entire game. I have no intention of reporting people falsely, but I feel that the problem should be brought to the attention of the community at large, beyond this forum.

1) Go to your pyramid.
    2) Count to the third row of this pyramid
    3) Read (it says something about counterargument)
    4) Explain to me how one of the most fundamental debate rules is considered a thing that must not be used (by you and the pyramid)
    5) Do some research on debates
    6) Come again
    edited May 2013
    What about the AD exploit? You can easily say that using the AH properly would result in no problems, which would be true. You could also argue that the problem lies only with those who exploit it, and therefore a fix is not necessary, which would not be true.

This is the entertainment industry. It's best to avoid features that are known to impede the entertainment of people, misused or otherwise.
    There will always be malicious, sick people out there who actively find joy in searching for and abusing loopholes, exploits, and generally causing mayhem. No one can change that, we can react appropriately and find a solution to problems caused by others as they arise. The problem with this particular issue, being /zone chat mainly, is that obviously PerfectWorld or Cryptic don't want to hire more employees to police chat. It's not a perfect system but it's what we have. Deal with it or don't play seems to be the message. I certainly won't be spending money on this game anytime soon.
  • suguiosuguio Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) Go to your pyramid.
    4) Explain to me how one of the most fundamental debate rules is considered a thing that must not be used (by you and the pyramid)
    6) Come again

1) Look at the pyramid.

2) Read and understand its purpose.

3)
    green or below

4) Try again. :cool:
    edited May 2013
    In all fairness they may be colorblind. The green and blue are very similar.
    edited May 2013
    1) Go to your pyramid.
    6) Come again

1) Learn what color green is.

EDIT: If he's colorblind, I think he should avoid color-based discussion.
  • iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1) Learn what color green is.

EDIT: If he's colorblind, I think he should avoid color-based discussion.
    I think that it is obvious that I am not color blind. It is also obvious that I missed the "green" part. I thought he was taking all the pyramid for reference:
    edited May 2013
    Looks like the other thread was closed and disposed of. Maybe something is being done!
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gollygee wrote: »
    The problem with that is that it is unofficial.

Compacted by the fact that there's so many of them, and with names like NWN*, NWO*, MB*, etc. The best and the worst part of Cryptic's chat system is that it's cross-game and cross-shard.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) Go to your pyramid.
    6) Come again

People are talking Pyramids now? I have one. It has spike traps and a lot of cobwebs ( I should do the dusting more :< ) but as far as I know it hasnt chat banned anyone...

..yet.
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks like the other thread was closed and disposed of. Maybe something is being done!

HAHAHAHHahahaHAAHAhaHAaha....

Not a chance.

As no doubt mentioned in this thread somewhere, the player run Mafia based chat ban system is going to stay. Period.

Working as designed according to a developer on CO.
This discussion has been closed.