Install Arc
Options

Deagen's Control Wizard Guide

Comments

• Options
    zelkovahzelkovah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zelkovah wrote: »
    1) What kind of companion do you recommend, why and what stats/enchants on him?.
    2) If you were to roll a tiefling CW would you still go for 18/13/13 int/wis/char or 16/12/16?
    3) What's your reasoning behind so much crit, specially taking into account crit seems to hit heavy DRs in the early thousands and most people argue is not that worth it with "Eye of the Storm" equipped.
    4) Regarding your claims about power and armor penetration. Have you tested this thoroughly? And if you have, mind sharing the specific math behind it?

I don't think you replied to this questions unless I missed them some how, or your planning to explaining them in an updated version of our guide?
  • Options
    temporaryd00dtemporaryd00d Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question? Is it possible for me to skill acheive 8-second Singularity loops if I've gone DPS CW?
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question? Is it possible for me to skill acheive 8-second Singularity loops if I've gone DPS CW?

Well, not for PVP.

For PVE you need...

1. Shield
    2. Shard of Avalanche
    3. CoI
    4. Chill Strike (Tabbed)
    5. And a whooooole lotta enemies.

The reason it can pop so often is that when Shield and SoA are popped on tons of mobs, it refills your APs like crazy. Also gear that increased recovery will help as well.

It's more situational than anything.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    noniussnoniuss Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Great guide, gona use this when nearing the end-game content on my CW!
    However, i disagree with you on point of repel being a terrible skill - its great for pissing off opponents at the very least! I've pulled off several 1v2 fights (until someone from my team comes to help) with using it and also thanks to the very short cool-down i can use it to lock my target into a corner, blast it with my other cc and dps skills and then repeat - it works most of the time if the fight stays 1v1.
    Also it is great for keeping opponents off a control point - either to get that last bit you need to capture it or to keep opp's busy while your team gets there. Not to mention it works wonders when fighting 2v2 - if the arcane mastery is at maximum stacks, you are likely to be able to blast away the tougher opponent for long enough to be able to burst down the remaining enemy and then either chase down and finish off the first target or do something else. Also its great when you need to run away - just blast chasers off from surfaces, over the edges and it can also grant enough time for a teammate to get away if its being bursted down.
    Aswell - i dont feel like Ray of Frost is all that bad - true it lacks damage and so on, but in my opinion its still the 2nd best at-will power that there is, plus it can be used to slow down pesky runners if no other cc power is up at that time, since its available always.
    Other than those two little things, im looking forward to trying out your tips. Thanks and Cheers!
  • Options
    mercalliasmercallias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    awesome guide! few things i might add i didnt see unless i missed it is the paragon tree build and best companion.. what would be a suitable best talent tree spec for doin most damage output AND when will you be updating the new and improved guide for CWs?? also is it possible to redo your abilities? thanks hope to get a response
  • Options
    tresdyntresdyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    Well, not for PVP.

For PVE you need...

1. Shield
    2. Shard of Avalanche
    3. CoI
    4. Chill Strike (Tabbed)
    5. And a whooooole lotta enemies.

The reason it can pop so often is that when Shield and SoA are popped on tons of mobs, it refills your APs like crazy. Also gear that increased recovery will help as well.

It's more situational than anything.

CoI is a Thaumaturge Spec ability and not needed for Renegade, and Shard of Avalanche is terrible....

If you are going for AP regen, my PvE boss fight build is best for AP regen IMO.
  • Options
    tresdyntresdyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    noniuss wrote: »
    Great guide, gona use this when nearing the end-game content on my CW!
    However, i disagree with you on point of repel being a terrible skill - its great for pissing off opponents at the very least! I've pulled off several 1v2 fights (until someone from my team comes to help) with using it and also thanks to the very short cool-down i can use it to lock my target into a corner, blast it with my other cc and dps skills and then repeat - it works most of the time if the fight stays 1v1.
    Also it is great for keeping opponents off a control point - either to get that last bit you need to capture it or to keep opp's busy while your team gets there. Not to mention it works wonders when fighting 2v2 - if the arcane mastery is at maximum stacks, you are likely to be able to blast away the tougher opponent for long enough to be able to burst down the remaining enemy and then either chase down and finish off the first target or do something else. Also its great when you need to run away - just blast chasers off from surfaces, over the edges and it can also grant enough time for a teammate to get away if its being bursted down.
    Aswell - i dont feel like Ray of Frost is all that bad - true it lacks damage and so on, but in my opinion its still the 2nd best at-will power that there is, plus it can be used to slow down pesky runners if no other cc power is up at that time, since its available always.
    Other than those two little things, im looking forward to trying out your tips. Thanks and Cheers!

I respectfully disagree with you.

Repel is bad for many reasons and I will go into detail now on why I don't like it.

1. Using a repel at a bad time can cause your team a kill. Often times you will think they are low enough to just blast them and kill them, however... Repel's damage is terrible and more than likely just saved them. That or you push them away from a melee dps who was about to finish them off.

2. It is far better to burst someone down locking them in one place through Entangling Force and Icy Rays, than pushing them away hoping hold out on a point longer. Generally, very few times is it better to kite than to burst.

3. You have to sacrifice a better ability in your kit for having repel. While Repel can have arguments for it being useful in PvP, I can make a better argument why other abilities are more useful.

But you are definitely entitled to your own opinion and I fully respect it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mercallias wrote: »
    awesome guide! few things i might add i didnt see unless i missed it is the paragon tree build and best companion.. what would be a suitable best talent tree spec for doin most damage output AND when will you be updating the new and improved guide for CWs?? also is it possible to redo your abilities? thanks hope to get a response

All of my Feat builds are located on the bottom of the guide. I have one for PvP, and PvE. I will add in the companion suggestion, but for quick response it is the Cat currently. To redo your abilities you need to spend 600 Zen (6$USD) to respec, or do the Astral Diamond conversion to get the Zen to purchase this.

Thank you for your feedback!
  • Options
    temporaryd00dtemporaryd00d Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tresdyn wrote: »
    CoI is a Thaumaturge Spec ability and not needed for Renegade, and Shard of Avalanche is terrible....

If you are going for AP regen, my PvE boss fight build is best for AP regen IMO.

Understood. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    wtfsoindiewtfsoindie Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    A few questions on mechanics.

Can Storm Fury proc enchants?
    Can Storm fury proc Eye of the Storm or Storm Spell?
    Does lifesteal work on Storm Fury?
    Does lifesteal work on enchants?

My idea is to pretty much stack tenes and lifesteal and never die.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wtfsoindie wrote: »
    A few questions on mechanics.

Can Storm Fury proc enchants?
    Can Storm fury proc Eye of the Storm or Storm Spell?
    Does lifesteal work on Storm Fury?
    Does lifesteal work on enchants?

My idea is to pretty much stack tenes and lifesteal and never die.

Storm Fury is not a good Class Feature and you are much better off with using Evocation, Storm Spell, and Eye of the Storm ( any combo of the 3, although you should always have EOTS in the mix ).

Also stacking lifesteal which is a defensive slot would only be in 2 slots in your gear if you are focusing more on getting offensive slots for Tennebrous enchants. The problem with Life Steal is you need an astronomical amount for it to be worth it, and then you sacrifice all of your other stats.

I personally haven't tested Storm Fury out at max level so I wouldn't be sure about the procing of enchants or EOTS and Storm Spell, but putting points into an ability that only benefits you below 50% health just seems bad to me. You are welcome to test your build and provide us with more data on how it performs, but I hope you are prepared to spend the AD's to remap if you find out it is terrible.

Thanks for posting in my thread!
  • Options
    wtfsoindiewtfsoindie Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Storm Spell is not a good Class Feature and you are much better off with using Evocation, Storm Spell, and Eye of the Storm ( any combo of the 3, although you should always have EOTS in the mix ).

Also stacking lifesteal which is a defensive slot would only be in 2 slots in your gear if you are focusing more on getting offensive slots for Tennebrous enchants. The problem with Life Steal is you need an astronomical amount for it to be worth it, and then you sacrifice all of your other stats.

I personally haven't tested Storm Fury out at max level so I wouldn't be sure about the procing of enchants or EOTS and Storm Spell, but putting points into an ability that only benefits you below 50% health just seems bad to me. You are welcome to test your build and provide us with more data on how it performs, but I hope you are prepared to spend the AD's to remap if you find out it is terrible.

Thanks for posting in my thread!

I'm talking about for PvP though. I know Storm Fury is awful in PvE, my idea is to make it so I'm basically unkillable in pvp with enchants proccing all the time when I'm under attack and getting all the hp back from lifesteal.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wtfsoindie wrote: »
    I'm talking about for PvP though. I know Storm Fury is awful in PvE, my idea is to make it so I'm basically unkillable in pvp with enchants proccing all the time when I'm under attack and getting all the hp back from lifesteal.

Run with a good Cleric and really learn and understand you skill set in PvP and you are already pretty much unkillable with 3 dodges.

But feel free to test this all out :P
  • Options
    sinaloacmsinaloacm Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shard of the endless avalanche does exactly what you propose it should be reworked to if you put it in the spellmasterys slot.

You might want to reread some of the other tooltips either.

About eye of the storm: You are stacking crit like crazy thus making eye of the storm much more less effective. Is there a crit% you do stop using it or do you stick to it becourse it was awesome at low critchances?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't do what I propose, there are no vector targeted abilities in this game.

Everything starts to fall off hard at some point, certain skills faster than others. I updated the stats section for what people "should" shoot for to maximize the effectiveness of everything.
  • Options
    sinaloacmsinaloacm Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can drop it at any point withhin range and shoot it to any other point withhin range. What do you miss there? The arrow indicating where you ordered it to shoot at?
  • Options
    caverndragoncaverndragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the great overview, time to rethink my CW..
    If it moves, KILL IT!
  • Options
    kobrakai2kobrakai2 Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Great guide, I think I'm going to respec and go renegade.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I am very glad you are enjoying the guide.
  • Options
    pilotmikepilotmike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    TY for the guide, and jelly of those 30k chill strikes!

Can you clarify your runes in respect to the cat. Do Tenbrous runes go to the cat's offensive slots as well?
  • Options
    shayrmaproshayrmapro Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thx for a great guide mate. I got a question are teneboreos enchants still the best ones after they implement ICD on it?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Tennebrous are still the best yes even with the ICD, and no they do not proc if they are put in your cats offensive slots.
  • Options
    kaasdoekkaasdoek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shayrmapro wrote: »
    Thx for a great guide mate. I got a question are teneboreos enchants still the best ones after they implement ICD on it?

the ICD is like 3-4 seconds.

I am running 6 greater ones atm. Melt's people in pvp.
  • Options
    m0ltres23m0ltres23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you think having that much Arpen helps boosting your AP regen?
  • Options
    mageor0lmageor0l Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Do you think its worth to use lesser teneboreos enchants for the t1 gear till you can afford t2 gear and normal enchants? Or is the impact of lesser enchants not big enough to justify using them?
  • Options
    pilotmikepilotmike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tennebrous are still the best yes even with the ICD, and no they do not proc if they are put in your cats offensive slots.

TY

Do you know if it procs on the gear your cat wears?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mageor0l wrote: »
    Do you think its worth to use lesser teneboreos enchants for the t1 gear till you can afford t2 gear and normal enchants? Or is the impact of lesser enchants not big enough to justify using them?

Tough call actually, because it cost a ton to take out the lesser ones from your gear if you were planning on using them to make the normal then the greater ones. So I would say, if you are starved on AD's I would wait until you get your T2 stuff and then ad in your Tennebrous Enchants.
  • Options
    mageor0lmageor0l Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Tough call actually, because it cost a ton to take out the lesser ones from your gear if you were planning on using them to make the normal then the greater ones. So I would say, if you are starved on AD's I would wait until you get your T2 stuff and then ad in your Tennebrous Enchants.

The lesser ones are pretty cheap and i don't plan to take them out, but to replace the gear and just vendor the old gear with the lesser enchants.

I'm just not sure if the lesser enchants will also be better damagewise than power/crit enchants. (with stats like 3000 power, 1900 crit, 2600 recovery)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I still think they will be better than stacking mroe power / crit / recovery, *outside of your cat that is*. You will already be waaaay over the point where Diminishing Returns kick in and it will always be more beneficial to stack tennebrous.
  • Options
    spineshatterspineshatter Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Storm Spell is not a good Class Feature and you are much better off with using Evocation...!

I don't know where you got this notion, but it seems wildly inaccurate. Do you have any data to support it?