test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Deagen's Control Wizard Guide

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tresdyntresdyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    I still think this is the build I will run with, but I need to test it further with the new changes. Testing will start soon and changes I need to make to the guide will happen by this weekend more than likely.
  • Options
    zelciahzelciah Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Good news!
  • Options
    kefratharkefrathar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nevermind. I saw the post above :p
    Rathar Issmuss - OP
    Kellendros - CW
    Licasia Fey-Branche - DC
  • Options
    lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    tresdyn wrote: »
    I haven't been playing much lately but will be back to Neverwinter very soon and testing all the new changes. This guide will continue to be updated past that point. Should be back playing Neverwinter sometime this week :)

To get you started, it's important to note that Tenebrous has been nerfed into the ground (the ICD is now 20 seconds) rendering it essentially useless. Armor pen until 2230 (soft cap) is probably the best thing to be gemming now, and then after that crit to the soft cap (which you're probably already close to using Shadow Weaver) and then probably just power after that.
  • Options
    stdcallstdcall Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have two questions about CW in general, I hope you wouldn't mind if I ask here.
    1) Does CoI and mastered Chill Strike considered AoE (so they benefit from aoe buffing feats and passives)?
    2) If I use an AoE power to the back of the mob, is it considered a combat advantage all the time?
  • Options
    threeravensthreeravens Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2013
    Chill strike in TAB is considered an aoe and benefits from feats and the passive, CoI on the other hand I really have no idea, I've been looking and looking at it and can't seem to find a straight answer. As to 2) - it shouldn't do CA damage to mobs which you don't have CA against but sometimes it looks that way (or might just be the feat proccing).
  • Options
    scannjerscannjer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited June 2013
    Guys... learn to read patch notes!!!

"Conduit of Ice: The primary effect of this power is now considered a DoT for damage calculation."

DoT = Damage Over Time.
  • Options
    tresdyntresdyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    Honestly a little disappointed with the new content. Gaunt was fun, but the rewards are terrible, and 5 hours in-between seems ridiculous. We won both the pve and pvp, and downed the boss in the Dungeon afterwards to get a crappy T2 Weapon, not the T2.5 from CN.

The pvp new tier just isn't a huge upgrade either so I have nothing left to farm really :(
  • Options
    tik3rtik3r Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi tresdyn,

Great guide congratulations. Im new and i am following ur guide but i have a little mess with power point distribution, can u put a screenshot of ur powers?? Thank you very much
  • Options
    diabloturkcadiabloturkca Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wht u think ? vorpal or plague fire ?
  • Options
    dragonanidragonani Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I completely disagree that Shards of Endless Avalanche is a bad skill. If you use it right it is one of the best skills to have, you can knock down a group of monsters twice and have it explode on the group (dealing a good amount of damage and a good control skill). It also makes time to use Steal Time without being hit in the process. If think people think its bad because they don't want to put in the effort in the use it right.
  • Options
    johneco1johneco1 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I may have missed it but can you post a link to your power build? Appreciate it.
  • Options
    liquidaurumliquidaurum Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hey Im new to this game, I was just wondering how do you find some of the abiulities listed on this guide? LIke I cant see arcane singularity or eye of the storm or storm spell.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Also he says power isnt as important but he gets 3000 power and only 2200 Armor Penetration in the end. soooo can someone explain that to me please
  • Options
    lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Also he says power isnt as important but he gets 3000 power and only 2200 Armor Penetration in the end. soooo can someone explain that to me please

Power is naturally abundant on normal end-game gear-sets, you achieve 3k+ by simply equipping normal gear, without attempting to stack it or anything. Armor Penetration is much tougher to get as it occurs less often on gear, causing you to need to gem for it both on your person and on your pet to achieve the soft-cap, which is actually 2530, not 2200 (this thread is out of date and I don't think the OP even plays anymore).

Power does not have a soft-cap, but it naturally gives you less per point than what other stats give you up until their soft cap, making the other stats much more important up until that soft-cap is achieved. Armor Pen is capped at 24% (2530 rating) because bosses in tier 2 dungeons have 24% damage resistance. It's also important to remember that armor pen is applied first, and that debuffs applied after it will drive mob resistance into the negative, which basically means that you don't want to use debuffs in place of armor pen, you want to use them in addition.
    Hey Im new to this game, I was just wondering how do you find some of the abiulities listed on this guide? LIke I cant see arcane singularity or eye of the storm or storm spell.

They will unlock as you level up and choose your paragon path.
    dragonani wrote: »
    I completely disagree that Shards of Endless Avalanche is a bad skill. If you use it right it is one of the best skills to have, you can knock down a group of monsters twice and have it explode on the group (dealing a good amount of damage and a good control skill). It also makes time to use Steal Time without being hit in the process. If think people think its bad because they don't want to put in the effort in the use it right.

The spell does awful damage, and is too clunky to use reasonably, which is why nobody uses it.

Exploding your shield instead of using that spell will not only net you more damage, but it will grant you more AP while at the same time being easier to use, and there are much more important DPS and debuffing skills to be using, it just doesn't make the cut.
  • Options
    killmeplsssskillmeplssss Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    **** mean rank 3
    *** rank 2
    ** rank 1
    wtf mean one * and non * ?!?!?
  • Options
    seventimesseventimes Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    **** mean rank 3
    *** rank 2
    ** rank 1
    wtf mean one * and non * ?!?!?

People never fail to amaze me how <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they are...

English isn't even my native language but even I can understand what he means.

4 Stars = Very good Spell, max it!
    3 Stars = Still good.
    2 Stars = Okay, you probably want to have it.
    1 Star = Not that good.
    None = Bad, don't waste your points.

How did you even come up with the idea that 4 Stars = Rank 3 ?! WTF
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Which feat do I upgrade? Opressor, Thaumaturgre or Renegade?
  • Options
    metalkishinmetalkishin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey Everyone!

First of all, Thanks for the guide! Am trying to follow it and see where it goes! Maybe a suggestion to help (me and maybe other people) would be a screen of your spells to help understand what's to be leveled?

Great guide and cant wait to do some almighty damages :3
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, this guide is not only kind of outdated, but already borders on archaic. You should check out the [Community] Class Guides, Builds, and Resources -- Control Wizard. There are a couple of different guides, which even should work after Module 2 Shadowmantle hits Live.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community