test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deagen's Control Wizard Guide

Comments

• lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I recently switched out my Tenebrous enchants for a mixture of crit and armor pen enchants. Enough armor pen to get me to the 2222 soft cap (22%), and the rest crit, and I've seen a significant damage increase. I also got my mh/oh from CN and was able to get rid of some recovery gems that were getting me to the soft cap as well.

I think that it's also important to note that the 4 piece Shadow Weaver set will randomly stop working, and in order to get it working again you need to un-equip one piece and re-equip it.
  • maveras1maveras1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lupita170 wrote: »
    I recently switched out my Tenebrous enchants for a mixture of crit and armor pen enchants. Enough armor pen to get me to the 2222 soft cap (22%), and the rest crit, and I've seen a significant damage increase. I also got my mh/oh from CN and was able to get rid of some recovery gems that were getting me to the soft cap as well.

I think that it's also important to note that the 4 piece Shadow Weaver set will randomly stop working, and in order to get it working again you need to un-equip one piece and re-equip it.

may i ask how much recov u are getting and if u are going trauma or renegade?
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    maveras1 wrote: »
    may i ask how much recov u are getting and if u are going trauma or renegade?

my current stats are 3304 power, 3674 crit, 2222 armor pen, 3142 recovery, these stats are with the Cat pet. I'm renegade.

Thaumaturge is slightly better for de-buffing bosses, but not by much, and many of the Thaum feats are bugged / do not work, so I'm staying away from it for now. My feats are very similar to the OP.
  • joyvinjoyvin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why we need stack CRIT if we already have the best passive skill in game =8 sec crit? This passive+ aoe+ storm spell= 100% crit almost always
    signature.jpg
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    joyvin wrote: »
    Why we need stack CRIT if we already have the best passive skill in game =8 sec crit? This passive+ aoe+ storm spell= 100% crit almost always

Eye of the Storm does NOT proc all the time.
  • joyvinjoyvin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There is 5% chance, but mage can do very very much hits in 8 sec(more mobs garant more hits). If there no1 DR, crit must be on almost 100% of time.
    signature.jpg
  • vornado71vornado71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 67
    edited June 2013
    joyvin wrote: »

For a lot of reasons (mostly centered around the 30s ICD).

1. EotS procs as you kill the last mob....Son of a.....
    2. EotS procs and then the fight requires you to move several times during your 8secs of awesomeness.
    3. 22s is a long time for a whimpy crit chance.
    3. RNG is going to be RNG and EotS refuses to proc for whatever reason when you most needed it.
    4. After hitting target thresholds on Recovery, ArPen, etc., you may as well pump Crit (Power may be the exception where you can pump till your hearts desire)

And for the "Almost Always" (love the term...lol) EotS will be up 26% of the time if you immediately get it back up after 30s ICD.
  • zerkagezerkage Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've followed this guide and tbh it works brilliantly. I would love to hear more from you as I believe you'll be a great asset to those are looking for guides with CW. Thanks for your efforts.
  • relnorelno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you would start a mage, which race/stat seed would you take and how would you level it up, stat wise?
    I saw the screenshot for the "finished" mage you have, but how to start it?

Tiefling or human?
    18/13/13 or 16/12/16 int/wis/cha?

Since those cant be altered afterwards, this would be pretty important.

Thanks very much
  • tresdyntresdyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    zerkage wrote: »
    I've followed this guide and tbh it works brilliantly. I would love to hear more from you as I believe you'll be a great asset to those are looking for guides with CW. Thanks for your efforts.

Thank you so much! I spent quite a while writing this up and I am glad you are finding it useful.

I will be working on some updates to this soon, these will include:

1. PvP strats and 1v1 encounters
    2. A Boss Fight guide with a video of each encounter from the CW perspective

If there are things you guys would like me to cover please let me know!
  • budders4200budders4200 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What is everyone slotting in their defense slots?
  • crineicrinei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Out of curiosity, what are your current equips? I'm working on power/crit/recovery but don't know how I'd go about getting 2k+ armor penetration with the sets for CWs.
  • tresdyntresdyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    crinei wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what are your current equips? I'm working on power/crit/recovery but don't know how I'd go about getting 2k+ armor penetration with the sets for CWs.

Best way to get 2k + ARP is with the Cat companion. Use the ARP Runestones and the ARP blue belt and ring. If that is still not enough get the belt for yourself as well.
    edited June 2013
    What is everyone slotting in their defense slots?

HP is the best for your defensive slots.
  • zerkagezerkage Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tresdyn wrote: »
    Thank you so much! I spent quite a while writing this up and I am glad you are finding it useful.

I will be working on some updates to this soon, these will include:

1. PvP strats and 1v1 encounters
    2. A Boss Fight guide with a video of each encounter from the CW perspective

If there are things you guys would like me to cover please let me know!

Yeah this is sweet! I would love to see the PVP 1v1 encounters as I mainly have to fight off TR or GWF who block.

Maybe and sorry if this is covered somewhere else but maybe you could do Enchantment/shard slot for equipment guide. Thanks again :)
  • nalanasnalanas Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello
    Thank you for very nice guide i bow before you.
    Deagen can i please you to update on your first page ,image/screenshot with your powers?
    Thx a lot.

Arael
    edited June 2013
    nalanas wrote: »
    Hello
    Thank you for very nice guide i bow before you.
    Deagen can i please you to update on your first page ,image/screenshot with your powers?
    Thx a lot.

Arael

Just because I love you, I will do this for you as soon as I can find time to log into the game. Not at my gaming computer atm.
  • slaskfettanslaskfettan Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just a thought, if anyone have the AD's to test it (im really poor).
    I ran a Thaumaturge spec when i lvld up my CW and i am fairly sure that the Storm Spell class feature procced the destructive wizardry feature when it hit.
  • eviltimmeheviltimmeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello Deagen, have you already collected some datas for Greater Vorpal Enchantement ? Im about to buy it or Greater Plaguefire one, so I want to ask you is there any significant difference between those two ? I heard Plaguefire might be bugged or something. Thanks for reply - Timmyz.
  • astronaxastronax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Best renegade guide one can possibly imagine. :)
    Tho, i personally dont like renegade path, but as thaumaturge my powers and gear strategy differ not so much from described above. And if played renegade i'd trade Reaper's Touch for Bitter Cold in pvp build, 'cos i rarely find myself attacking things in 0-20ft range. But i guess its just about personal playstyle xD
    Very-very impressive job, man, keep it up :)
  • xelciahxelciah Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've been using this guide since 40, i'm a fresh 60 an currently sticking close to your PVP spec. I've found the guide very useful but at 60 i'm left with 8 power points left over, ignoring all the required rotation spells that you mentioned i feel it's more "have a gamble and play around" and i enjoy that bit of freedom. My only concern is Icy Rays, it sounds good on the description but i really don't see that much effectiveness in PVP, can anybody vouch for this ability? maybe it is effective but i'm not seeing it as such.
    edited June 2013
    xelciah wrote: »
    I've been using this guide since 40, i'm a fresh 60 an currently sticking close to your PVP spec. I've found the guide very useful but at 60 i'm left with 8 power points left over, ignoring all the required rotation spells that you mentioned i feel it's more "have a gamble and play around" and i enjoy that bit of freedom. My only concern is Icy Rays, it sounds good on the description but i really don't see that much effectiveness in PVP, can anybody vouch for this ability? maybe it is effective but i'm not seeing it as such.

Icy Rays is very good in PvP. It can crit for upwards of 15k with the right gear / stats. It cannot be dodged like some other abilities as well. It is great for setting up Ice Knife because it has a brief immobilization as well. It is great for chasing and keeping someone locked down for just a brief time while your team finishes them off.

If you have 8 points left over, you should put points into Icy Rays, that is of course as long as you have the "core" abilities as a Control Wizard already properly leveled.
  • shuy1shuy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Been following this guide for a while. How will the upcoming changes affect it?
  • carnaflex17carnaflex17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    With the Piercing Berseker Belt (+133 Crit and +243 Armor Pen), does adding Dark Enchantment, Rank 8 (+235 Armor Pen) give x2 +235(Plus the original +243 from the belt) Armor Pen? Because im not sure how the PvP belts really work lol.

So End stats would be

Equip: +133 Crit
    Equip: +243 Armor Pen
    Equip: +235 Armor pen +235 Armor pen
  • arcusiarcusi Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Deagen with the latest nerf to the CW are you going the change this guide accordingly or is it still best as is even with the nerf to some powers?
  • ciopenhauerciopenhauer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does he even play this game anymore?
  • sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I sometimes use Shard of Endless Avalanche (normally slotted :eek:) when doing PVE with another wizard, the knockdown effect lasts a good while, and we can get a really nice control cycle going.

I also still like it in pvp because of the psychological effect and the ability to divide the battlefield, not much dps but a decent knockdown time can help with TR's. Most TR's still stupidly run towards the rock and if it hits they stay down longer than EF or steal time can hold them, slippery <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

The spell is still completely broken so I have been using it less and less. Such a shame. So much potential with a supposedly "higher level spell".
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • domnomsdomnoms Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey Deagen,

I've been following your guide to the T, and love it so far but I have a few questions for you. I am trying to gear out my guy and only have T1 stuff atm, so my stats are much lower than yours. Would you recommend going with Recov / Crit to begin with? My cool downs are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> right now due to low Recov, and can't keep the PvE Boss rotation going solid. Also, after watching your Video Guide a few times, I noticed that your Shield is on a 6 sec CD after using the push back.. is that just from you having 2.5k Recov? Mine currently is at a 13 second CD and it completely ruins my rotation, and I honestly don't see only 1k more Recov making that big of a difference.

Any advice is appreciated bud, thanks!
  • kefratharkefrathar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well with the updates on the 13th, what changes should we make? Or are you still confident that this build is still one of the better ones?
    Rathar Issmuss - OP
    Kellendros - CW
    Licasia Fey-Branche - DC
    edited June 2013
    I haven't been playing much lately but will be back to Neverwinter very soon and testing all the new changes. This guide will continue to be updated past that point. Should be back playing Neverwinter sometime this week :)