Options

The Character Customization Cover-up

1235»

Comments

• Options
    dndjessdndjess Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I would REALLY love hip width/torso length sliders in character appearance customization. In fact, those have personally become the sole reasons why I haven't committed to this game yet. It's perfect otherwise.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Heck, id be happy for something even more basic like a simple height slider. The options, at least for me, seem limited.

Granted, this is coming from a Cryptic fangirl who has adored the level of customization in past Cryptic games. After CO and STO the options here cant do anything but disappoint.
    Changing your characters' appearance is not 'customization' - it's decoration. Customization isn't about your character looking unique - it's about making your character actually BE unique. Yes they could add more character decorations (personally I don't care), but it's far more important that a player can actually BUILD a character to their playstyle.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dndjess wrote: »
    Changing your characters' appearance is not 'customization' - it's decoration. Customization isn't about your character looking unique - it's about making your character actually BE unique. Yes they could add more character decorations (personally I don't care), but it's far more important that a player can actually BUILD a character to their playstyle.

In an age of full of Skyrims its BOTH. Also both CO and STO allowed just that. In the aspect you just mentioned both games allowed you to craft your powers to your play style with Freeform and "make a alien" options.

Neverwinter fails in this also.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Customizing your character's appearance is a part of being unique. Function isn't the only thing that's important to some of us. :)

Edit: Though fwiw, I do wish appearance customization would yield functional results. Big characters with more strength/defense, small characters with more evasion, clothing/armor that reflects the equipment you're wearing, etc.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    In an age of full of Skyrims its BOTH. Also both CO and STO allowed just that. In the aspect you just mentioned both games allowed you to craft your powers to your play style with Freeform and "make a alien" options.

Neverwinter fails in this also.

Freeform is still the reason I deeply love CO. From customization to decoration the options are near limitless. But CO is..empty. CO is the battered stepchild that Cryptic would like to forget. I get the odd feeling that Cryptic regrets the level of freedom CO has, that is is seen as a black mark and a mistake. NWs restrictive nature feels almost like a direct counter to that.

I honestly don't expect NWs options to increase much. And I feel if NW proves to be a money maker on the level of STO. I expect future games from Cryptic will be similarly restrictive. At one time Cryptics "Claim to fame" was masters of customization. And I feel at some point, they have been convinced that label is an embarrassment. Or perhaps it is simply pressure from PWE.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Customizing your character's appearance is a part of being unique. Function isn't the only thing that's important to some of us. :)

Edit: Though fwiw, I do wish appearance customization would yield functional results. Big characters with more strength/defense, small characters with more evasion, clothing/armor that reflects the equipment you're wearing, etc.
    There used to be RPG's that did that, but I don't believe I've ever seen it in an MMO.

Would the game have to scan your character choices, and change your charisma based on how ugly they thought your character is? :P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There used to be RPG's that did that, but I don't believe I've ever seen it in an MMO.

Would the game have to scan your character choices, and change your charisma based on how ugly they thought your character is? :P
    Charisma by definition is a mental trait, not dictated by physical appearance. Though I admit I have no idea how D&D handles it.
  • Options
    leopardladyleopardlady Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This thread was 8months old before it was necro'd yesterday. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    draemorindraemorin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    Although I speak highly of Neverwinter Online/NO to friends... I must say I'm severely disappointed with NO's lack of character customization. Everywhere I roam in-game, I see other players with my same character name (FYI, it's not my forum handle) and my same custom/weaponry appearance.

This game deserves to have more attention paid to character and gear customization.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I think the biggest "hard to do" by devs is that they carrying the name of "Dungeons and Dragons" it self. in D&D I saw in PnP game or NWN great, or I can say the best character creation ever on game. how you can not just adjust attribute, select race from wide kind of races with their own racial trait and feat, but other things too like class lore or feat, also character story background, deity that he/she worshiped, even his/her alignment (good guys or bad guys) that make the game more life and more RP. but the thing is, this part more likely to be liked only by some game-community, while other chose to do character custom at the simplest way. as a D&D fan, of course I like it to be happen, but I also ask myself, will all the current players or the players-want-to-be accept it the way I do? hmm ... I'm not really sure myself. even the way I see players already playing the game, some can't/won't see what is D&D game and more to MMO game. so, my opinion, even though they added more way of customization on character build, it still must be the simplest way and easy to explain to some non-D&D-fan players and non-MMO players.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This thread was 8months old before it was necro'd yesterday. :cool:
    I wish the mods would at least open a new thread up after closing the necros. Just stopping the discussion entirely is basically just a big middle finger to those of us who are actually making the topic still relevant.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have played to level 30 so far, and from what I've seen, they do an OK job of giving players the illusion of customization. Start with the character building - yes, you can keep re-rolling your stats, but there is an extremely minimal variety in your die rolls, and the difference in the end result is inconsequential.

Then there's the ability system. Yes, you get to decide where you put your ability points. But by the time you reach level 20, you will literally have every ability upgraded to its 2nd level, resulting in every character being the same to that point. I believe that the same happens up to level 30.

That is one thing that DDO had going for it - there was such an immense amount of ability options that you could actually build a character that you felt like was your own. This game tries to trick you into thinking you have options, but ends up being as cookie cutter as it gets.

Holy, nice necro dude!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    edge1986 wrote: »
    Holy, nice necro dude!!
    Kinda funny, I didn't wanna risk starting another thread for something that's been posted 1,000 times, so I did a search and this was the first thing that came up. I didn't even look at the date. But judging by the amount of responses, it must not have been a bad thing :P
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Kinda funny, I didn't wanna risk starting another thread for something that's been posted 1,000 times, so I did a search and this was the first thing that came up. I didn't even look at the date. But judging by the amount of responses, it must not have been a bad thing :P

On most gaming boards necroing threads is against the TOS. Not sure about this one though.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The problem is, "new players" aren't allowed to create new threads. So if there's a subject I want to discuss, the only way to do it is to dig up old posts.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That is true. If I could have started a new thread, I would have done so today instead of posting in a thread thread that was already being necroed.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the issue is still an issue I dont see why people freak out about older threads being used.
  • Options
    maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    O M G its a ZOMMMBIEEE!!! RUN, RUN! save the children!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    O M G its a ZOMMMBIEEE!!! RUN, RUN! save the children!
    Yes, save the children, and the old folks. When the zombies attack, I know I can outrun them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well technically NOW the mods have every logical reason to lock the thread, as we're sorely off-topic...
  • Options
    bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Was this before the OP was a mod?