test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Character Customization Cover-up

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Well, again, I have seen worse.

I guess seeing the burnt grass makes you respect the withered.
    The last game I played just had a news release about two pieces of content recently added to the game which really pissed off the players and how they have listened to the feedback on the micro-transactions and the companies view on them and the response they got.
    I?d like to update you on how we plan to help fund the future development of the game you all know and love; how we?re making sure that we do not undermine what makes it the adventure game that millions of us, worldwide, enjoy on a daily basis; and what we?re doing to improve on what we?ve launched so far.
    One specific difference that does exist with these updates, however, is that micro-payments are often associated with their potential to undermine the integrity of games so that companies can profit in the short-term. As a result, many players have questioned whether ********* is heading down this tragic route.

I want to say, categorically, that we will not go down this road. In reality - and quite in contrast to this speculation - the introduction of micro-payments to <game> has a significant role in ensuring that we can continue to support, develop and grow the game for many more years to come.

Notice how they claim that they aren't undermining work and they went through great stakes. They agknowledge players have a fear for what their future micro-transactions will play rather than accepting the players currently feel like the integrity is being undermined.

These are some assorted player responses, trust me when I say I would have to hunt for positive feedback:
    -it looks like <company> is suiciding and get as much money as they can in the progress
    -BUT WHY CAN YOU BUY XP!?!?!
    -I'm going to copy and remember this post MMG for when you do start selling GP.
    -Just a pathetic attempt to ensure the gullible 12 year olds of the game who cant see that though they may not sell gold and xp directly, they do it by gambling.
    -pathethic lies
    -Stop ******* lieing, come out and admit this poorly hidden <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
    -Whats this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about you not selling cash and exp for the good of the game, you already are with <the current micro-transactions>.
    -You have 95%, if not more, or your player base saying they don't want <your current micro-transactions> yet you stand to defend and justify it

That's a company which doesn't listen or communicate with their players. I stopped posting my point of view to that company a year ago after they outright ignored me for a year beforehand.
    That all happened within the last week. They sold out and the company's policy went from players first to money first and pretend it's players first. It was like being fed food as an infant being told "one more bite" 50 times to get you to eat. They bold-face lied to the players the same way and continue to do so.

I can understand the frustrations, believe me. But I have seen worse.

Never mis-read a lack of posting for a lack of care. The more they type on here the longer it takes to make the game afterall. It would it be nice to see a bit more love from the developers but remember one key important feature at this moment...
    Right now they're also working for free and trying to get the game out to the public.

I don't know. We're each allowed our own interpretation. I've just seen so much worse that I really can't complain compared the the other stuff that has to be dealt with in my every day life.
    I'm not trying to wave a "Cryptic #1" Banner, I'm just saying pick and choose your battles. Expect more support when there's more support to be given because with the delay the game is truly a ways away from release.

*shrugs* Ever the un-optimistic optimist I shall be :-D
  • asioxrinasioxrin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Character Customization:
    Race
    Class
    Appearance
    History

Races: Human, Half-Elf, Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Tiefling, Halfling. (Gender is selected in this screen as well)

Classes: Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric, Control Wizard, Guardian Fighter (DiabloIII-esque skill system?)

Appearance: Head, Hair, Eyes, Markings, Nose, Mouth, Body. (Much more user friendly than Champions Online)

History: City you grew up in?, (Noble, Commoner, Immigrant)
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ^ Screenshots or it didn't happen :P
  • willdance4rainwilldance4rain Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    ^ Screenshots or it didn't happen :P

If you check out this video (http://youtu.be/7pn7iU4EwTc?t=16m20s) - an interview with Andy Velasquez at PAX Prime, you can get a feel for the character creation process.

He goes over the costume changes and at 17:40 he starts going over the more detailed things you can do down to sliders. Trust me, it's going to be great.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    asioxrin wrote: »
    Character Customization:
    Race
    Class
    Appearance
    History

Races: Human, Half-Elf, Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Tiefling, Halfling. (Gender is selected in this screen as well)

Classes: Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric, Control Wizard, Guardian Fighter (DiabloIII-esque skill system?)

Appearance: Head, Hair, Eyes, Markings, Nose, Mouth, Body. (Much more user friendly than Champions Online)

History: City you grew up in?, (Noble, Commoner, Immigrant)
    If you check out this video (http://youtu.be/7pn7iU4EwTc?t=16m20s) - an interview with Andy Velasquez at PAX Prime, you can get a feel for the character creation process.

He goes over the costume changes and at 17:40 he starts going over the more detailed things you can do down to sliders. Trust me, it's going to be great.

Confirmed. Whether this was fast tracked for a demo or will have even more customization remains to be seen. But every time we have improvements announced, this does put back the time for the next development stage to finish. "So do you want it fast or right" comes up.

I may not be a current developer, but I do understand the time it takes to develop an MMO. If you want to do some post evacuation, I listed it here in parts 1 and 2 of an archived thread appropriately called "What Is Taking So Long For This Game?"

My concerns is the communications Cryptic/PWE does. Their method is release through third-party. While this may work and even gives a small degree of impartiality at times, it does not stop those reviewers who are just raving fans or those who are out to ruin said product/company either. If it becomes the sole or nearly sole method of initial information release, then a slim number of reviews becomes a liability if enough of them aren't written well on a fundamental to the game company's message.

No matter what methods are used, a dialog of progress (even when the report is nothing new) is needed with the community and the company. The methods are up to each company, but without this, propaganda becomes just that, fact or fiction. As we've seen, even the "appearance of holding back" starts to happen, true or not.

So far we haven't heard anything about PAX from the devs, just mentions of the reviews and awards.

I'm glad to see those have faith in Cryptic, and I wont let my dissatisfaction with them at the moment distract from it. I basically gave my opinion, from the heart, and I'm happy to read that many are satisfied taking a deep breathe and waiting for the next release of information.

At this point, I'll be taking a step back... and continue to enjoy reading the comments from the new faces that are appearing, and beginning to comment, a few of which have visited this thread (as well as those of you who I've become quite fond of over the past year...).

My spirits are still high for this game, and even higher for our growing and loyal community. I just can not wait to run with so many of you (and not with just the ones I seem to often agree with!). For now, the remainder of my patience needs to take a luxury cruise to an exotic island. :)

I'll be awaiting the good news from the devs whenever they are ready to release it.

But in no way do I want to dictate that we have to choose sides or this way is the only way. I'm a community member, like the rest of you, and the only side I want to support is the gamers' side on all aspects and positions of the game--production and player alike.

So, if I generated any feelings of "pick a side" or the "moral focus" I am sorry. If I cross the line, I'm wrong too and for that I apologize.

I'll keep these posts as reminders as to remember the balance for all gamers, and only ask we use our words to our personal feelings before we make posts accusing, right or wrong. Because even if we "win" this game that way, we "lose" after all. So to Aandre, I am sorry, and will also take a step back on my comments. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My concerns is the communications Cryptic does. Their method is release through third-party. While this may work and even gives a small degree of impartiality at times, it does not stop those reviewers who are just raving fans or those who are out to ruin said product/company either. If it becomes the sole or nearly sole method of initial information release, then a slim number of reviews becomes a liability if enough of them aren't written well on a fundamental to the game company's message.

This is very nicely worded, and hits on many of the points I was trying to make.
    I'll keep these posts as reminders as to remember the balance for all gamers, and only ask we use our words to our personal feelings before we make posts accusing, right or wrong. Because even if we "win" this game that way, we "lose" after all. So to Aandre, I am sorry, and will also take a step back on my comments. Thanks.

No need to apologize, Truth. This was a lesson in which we helped each other learn something good, on how we can best contribute to the community. I admit the OP title was a bit too strong, and the words in my first few posts could have been worded with less edge. I'll work on that. But I still stand by my main message.

Reading what you just wrote above, it appears we agree with the overall premise I was trying to make in this thread, that we don't want these forums to remain just a business card... we want the community here to continue to grow (and not feel the need to leave, like so many have, due to lack of communication between Cryptic and the community), and most importantly a platform in which transparently and interaction replace the modicum of WAITING, which has been the current state of this forum for far, far too long.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I really hope people aren't serious. Neglect? Really? Since when are we entitled to a standard of community support? Never. You can't cry "massive neglect" on the Internet. That's completely unreasonable. Cryptic doesn't owe us anything. Would fostering a community help sell their product? Certainly! But it's their prerogative to do so however they want to. If you don't like it, leave. That's the only reasonable response.

Additionally, a lack of communication does not equal a lack of interest. I see posts here all the time from people, like me, who mention that they do a lot of reading of the forum, but don't feel a need to participate in the discussions frequently (for their own reasons). And yet there are assumptions made about community activity based on...what? Post counts? There's a lot that can't be quantified in the idea of community activity that's not a function of this forum.

Moreover, there's no reason to expect developers/marketers/etc. to be held to any different standard. Their interest is also not a function of their level of communication. Let's be honest here. The Internet is full of whiny, entitled feeling, self-absorbed prats. It's got a lot of great, positive potential, but when the loudest voices are usually the least reasonable, then communicating inevitably becomes an exercise in futility. Is that pessimistic? Yes. It's also, unfortunately, true. But don't also assume that just because you've made x suggestion for this game that nobody heard it. We're dealing with human being here, who don't always have the time, patience, or opportunity to sent us all thank you cards for participating in the community, making suggestions, or spreading word about the game.

As a side to this, it's also unreasonable for us to be clearly presented with the fact that marketing of Neverwinter is on a a specific schedule and then expect (and in some cased demand) that we see x, y, or z feature of the game based solely upon our own arbitrarily developed reveal schedule. People in this thread have said "that's the way the industry works" not because they're beholden to some tradition that they're unwilling to budge from, but because there are good reasons already established by countless previous game releases why releasing information is best released in small, staggered bits. Would it be nice to know it all? Sure thing, but previous experience suggests that if you show your hand too soon you might lose the game.

Stop the entitlement based arguments. We're not entitled to Neverwinter.
  • bloodgambitbloodgambit Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I haven't read the entire thread, and really don't need to for what I have to say about this.

Think. This is CRYPTIC we're talking about here. Creators of the best character creation and customization in MMOs to date (except APB, perhaps). The City of Heroes/Villains game(s) and then, more close to home here, Champions Online and Star Trek Online. All three have great amounts of character customization, in both a gameplay sense, and a visual sense.

I think character customization, being the hallmark of many a Cryptic game, is something they want to hold for now. It's their big thing, even in being such a small piece of the game. It's something they show when the time is nigh, to get people even more excited. I could be wrong. But I think they should, if they aren't planning on it that way. Right now they're showing the Foundry, which, again, is one of those customization and freedom things, which is what Cryptic is all about.

Character customization isn't even a worry for me.

@Maekada in-game

Formerly MaekadaFolay on the forums.
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I haven't read the entire thread, and really don't need to for what I have to say about this.

Think. This is CRYPTIC we're talking about here. Creators of the best character creation and customization in MMOs to date (except APB, perhaps). The City of Heroes/Villains game(s) and then, more close to home here, Champions Online and Star Trek Online. All three have great amounts of character customization, in both a gameplay sense, and a visual sense.

I think character customization, being the hallmark of many a Cryptic game, is something they want to hold for now. It's their big thing, even in being such a small piece of the game. It's something they show when the time is nigh, to get people even more excited. I could be wrong. But I think they should, if they aren't planning on it that way. Right now they're showing the Foundry, which, again, is one of those customization and freedom things, which is what Cryptic is all about.

Character customization isn't even a worry for me.

Er. Are you a D&D 4e player?

Given WocT and Cryptic are bedfellow concerns that NWO will only provide Essentials characters could be well founded...
    edited September 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    snip

Your a bit late to the party Aavarius, welcome. I'll sidestep the name calling, so I wont respond to those words. I will say I wasn't (or am I now) angry, just looking to change the discourse of the conversation. We learned a bit more about the Foundry which was nice. I can wait for the rest... not like the game is coming out tomorrow.

I will however respectfully disagree with your opinions.

As Truth has stated, it is to Cryptic's benefit that they interact with their future playerbase. His assessment is my assessment, although he worded it quite a bit kinder, and let me know it, and to that I humbly accepted my error, took a step back, and am grateful he cared to discuss it with me. In fact, I feel we both got something out of it. He'd make a good moderator that huckleberry :) hehe

As for Cryptic "owing nothing" to their customers as you state, that's an even worse message than my call for "new" or different information. There's been a great deal of damage done to the community in the time I've been visiting (so many have left), and I'd like to see them make moves now to ensure we never lose the amount of people we have lost thusfar again, and continue to grow this community. As Gill stated, a contest, something fun, could not hurt at this juncture, at all.

On a rather surprising front, Crypticmapolis' last post, responding at MIDNIGHT eastern time (may have been a bit earlier or later where she is at, not sure...) Thats just AWESOME. That's going to bat for your company. Far more than any one of us could expect or ever ask for.

Guys like Truth, Gill, Stormdragon, yourself, myself, quite a few others, we log on every day, read and post, and all get passionate about this game. May I ask that we do not name call and try to tear each other down? On the contrary, lets all contemplate how we can contribute BEST to this community, by focusing our energies on finding common ground.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited September 2012
    surf13 wrote: »

Given WocT and Cryptic are bedfellow concerns that NWO will only provide Essentials characters could be well founded...

Yep, this was my concern. A sentence or two could put my mind, and other peoples' mind, at ease. And to be crystal clear, I'm not talking about visual customization options, as I'm expecting the variety of options to be pretty neat, but the customization allowed at build creation as it pertains to stats, feats, skills, etc.

edited September 2012
    Yep, this was my concern. A sentence or two could put my mind, and other peoples' mind, at ease. And to be crystal clear, I'm not talking about visual customization options, as I'm expecting the variety of options to be pretty neat, but the customization allowed at build creation as it pertains to stats, feats, skills, etc.

Ahmen.

But I don't think we are likely to hear that in the short term (please Cryptic, do disappoint me on this one).

So at this stage I'd be happy to get a ballpark idea of when they may be able to share more information in this area.

*sigh* Oh well.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012

[snip]

On a rather surprising front, Crypticmapolis' last post, responding at MIDNIGHT eastern time (may have been a bit earlier or later where she is at, not sure...) Thats just AWESOME. That's going to bat for your company. Far more than any one of us could expect or ever ask for.

Guys like Truth, Gill, Stormdragon, yourself, myself, quite a few others, we log on every day, read and post, and all get passionate about this game. May I ask that we do not name call and try to tear each other down? On the contrary, lets all contemplate how we can contribute BEST to this community, by focusing our energies on finding common ground.

And I want to stress positive efforts even if it was or was not considered "little" by the contributor themselves. What Mapolis did went above and beyond whether it was done on their personal time or on company time. When I posted my follow up that evening in the PDT, I expected a reply some time the next day or even later than that. Getting it mere hours later (after 9 PM PDT which is the next day or midnight EDT even if it turns out whether we both are in the same time zone or not,) is extraordinary! What gaming reps do you know that post after 9 PM or later on a non-priority question? And the kicker to that post is Mapolis thanked my diligence to the FAQ! Here we have a person who answers a question late at night that isn't even priority, and they thank me for my diligence!

Such dedication to community and the personal thanks to the individual recognized for their effort by a company person both deserve recognition, and besides here, I noted this appreciation in an answer itself on the FAQ. So thank you Mapolis/CrypticMapolis for your involvement and dedication alike to the Neverwinter community!

If there's recognition done in your company side of things, I hope you receive it for this kind of work!

And I hope I didn't make you blush too much b:thanks (Yes I even went "bear", and you can count on your fingers the times I use these.)
    Originally Posted by surf13

Ahmen.

But I don't think we are likely to hear that in the short term (please Cryptic, do disappoint me on this one).

So at this stage I'd be happy to get a ballpark idea of when they may be able to share more information in this area.

*sigh* Oh well.

Yeah, a valid concern based on the limited info we have. The only "saving grace" we have is Essentials tanked as an independent line and was discontinued. While I recognize it tried to do what D&D (easy) versus AD&D (advanced) did back in the 1st-2nd ed lines for basic versus hardcore players to all share, it simply fractured the base as well as overpowered the game with unbalanced builds (compared to the original 4E setup.) Don't get me wrong, I love some of the Essentials builds and the classes later inspired by them (Bladesinger comes to mind speaking of Neverwinter builds and the essentials-themed,) but it simply didn't work for my reasons and/or other reasons that financially tanked its discontinuance of that line.

So just because something is simple and was pushed (or is pushed) by WOTC does not guarantee the 4e inspired MMO game setup by PWE/Cryptic.

And we therefore do not know anything more on the creation influence, broad strokes or details.

But this is why it still becomes oh-so-important to say some things directly and not have other people's takes on it, including reporters.

Without addressing people directly in multiple formats, things get lost in translation or simply never get talked about until way after its necessity or when something goes bad. And social media means something here could end up anywhere or even everywhere.

I do hope this helped and will at the least cause more dialog between all sides. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have many, many, MANY problems with Cryptic when it comes to their games and post-launch support. However, character customization is nowhere near one of them. Did you know that it's entirely possible to make Spiderman and Batman... in Star Trek Online? And STO has a LIMITED character creator compared to CoX and CO.

Trust me, with Cryptic at the helm, there's plenty to be worried about with this game - especially with the Foundry. If the Foundry is implemented in this game anywhere near the way it is implemented in STO, it means that we're going to have to make our own content in order to get more than a hundred hours of game time out of it, just like in STO. However, of all of the things to be worried about in this game, character creation isn't one of them.

It seems to me that it's the only thing Cryptic can do correctly.
    edited September 2012
    I have many, many, MANY problems with Cryptic when it comes to their games and post-launch support. However, character customization is nowhere near one of them. Did you know that it's entirely possible to make Spiderman and Batman... in Star Trek Online? And STO has a LIMITED character creator compared to CoX and CO.

Trust me, with Cryptic at the helm, there's plenty to be worried about with this game - especially with the Foundry. If the Foundry is implemented in this game anywhere near the way it is implemented in STO, it means that we're going to have to make our own content in order to get more than a hundred hours of game time out of it, just like in STO. However, of all of the things to be worried about in this game, character creation isn't one of them.

Unless you can customize the fighting mechanics beyond appearance there to fight like Batman/Spiderman (and you can't,) we were talking about the character creation builds, not their appearances.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012

Believe it or not I disagree.

It appears Cryptic may very well be doing many things right this time around, and because they were involved from the beginning with its development, is clearly looking to make this project their "pride and joy". They've gone a long way to publically admit that they've made mistakes and that means a lot to some (me included), and have pledged to right a bunch of them.

Furthermore, I think they are a super-talented young group of developers that's looking forward to the blessings of this legendary IP called D&D, and a vibrant, tight knit, no hold barred community willing to help them redefine their place in the MMO industry.

I think the dominoes are aligned, for the most part, for a breakout sleeper hit. This game will raise the brows of a lot of gamers. The D&D universe, regardless how they learned to play (on the table top, or PC, or heck in a day camp like I did when I was 6 in 1976), contains the greatest story-tellers in the history of gaming. I in fact have ZERO doubt we'll have no problem populating the world with amazing content.

What I AM concerned with I have defined, admittingly probably too boldly at first, that one mistake can ruin it for me, and I believe many others, and that's a lack of customization at character creation. In particular, we should have the option of choosing our own stats for our creation, and they should matter.

I admit that I have no idea what they've done with it, but I know that replay value for me will rely heavily on my ability to create custom characters, as I've done happily for many many years for friends, guildies, and fellow forumites. I hope I was just shooting in the dark here, and like some of you have mentioned, it's one of Cryptics bread and butter features.

I'll freely admit the Italian in me tells me to worry, yet the Irish in me tells me to kick back, and enjoy my favorite Irish stout, http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1416/686232679_5f828c5f02.jpg Anyone down for some Celtic brew!? :)

edited September 2012
    As Andre and I previously observed a very small amount of reassurance would go a long way here.

Even "we can't say anything now, but we hope to have some news for you early in October" would be really good to hear. Life in a vacuum can be unpleasant :D
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    Hey guys, I haven't read the entire thread but I will say this...

Character customization is still under heavy development and is not ready to be talked about yet. I wouldn't worry about it being too shallow - all our games have very robust character systems and Neverwinter will be no exception.

That being said, the Foundry is in the spotlight right now. I'm sorry if some of you are sick of hearing about it, but my team and I have been waiting a very long time to talk about it. The Foundry represents years of difficult work and late nights by my team, and we feel it deserves a large amount of press exposure. What you have seen isn't the end of it either, there are more cool Foundry features yet to reveal. We consider this a very key feature of Neverwinter that sets us apart from other MMOs so we will continue to talk about the Foundry right up to launch.
    edited September 2012

Character customization is still under heavy development and is not ready to be talked about yet. I wouldn't worry about it being too shallow - all our games have very robust character systems and Neverwinter will be no exception.

That being said, the Foundry is in the spotlight right now. I'm sorry if some of you are sick of hearing about it, but my team and I have been waiting a very long time to talk about it. The Foundry represents years of difficult work and late nights by my team, and we feel it deserves a large amount of press exposure. What you have seen isn't the end of it either, there are more cool Foundry features yet to reveal. We consider this a very key feature of Neverwinter that sets us apart from other MMOs so we will continue to talk about the Foundry right up to launch.

First up - thank you for the response! It's greatly appreciated, as is all your work on what promises to be the most amazing game of all time - at least to me :D

Second - the Foundry looks amazing... I've watched the PAX video over and over (even have it cached on my machine to watch offline). So don't get me wrong, I enjoy hearing new stuff about the Foundry.

Third - will we hear any news about characters prior to go live? What about prior to closed (or open) beta?

I think it's safe to say most of the D&D 4e contingent are... A little nervous about what the mechanical aspects of builds will be like.

In particular this -> If the game only ever supports "Essentials Characters" it would be a serious blow to us.

Finally - I appreciate you aren't necessarily able to share anything. If that's the case I still appreciate your time and hope you can pass this on to someone in a more authoritative position in this area.

All the best always,
    Surf
    edited September 2012

Awesome. Thank you Crypticmapolis for that. The purpose of my thread was not in any way meant to criticize your team's work on the Foundry, which I think most of us have been blown away with. You all should be VERY PROUD of it, I think it will revolutionize the playing field for us D&D folks that are exciting to share unlimited adventures that your efforts will provide.

However, many of the folks I spoke with potentially interested in joining us in Neverwinter tend to discuss two matters with me, the 4e differential (vs 3.5) and character creation/building. You're statements that "Character customization is still under heavy development" and "I wouldn't worry about it being too shallow" go a long way to establish the state of the game in relation to this issue.

Ya know, when I first joined this site (when it was on Cryptics servers), I said it was saddening because it seemed like a ghost town. I asked for some kind of a general progression, some kind of interaction with the community. We've lost many in a year, even more in the transition to the PW system. In my opinion, the missing link in the chain has always been a lack of communication, but a situation which you seem to be all over, and mending by your very presence. :)

I sincerely believe a regular dialog of progress would be a magic bullet (a small newsletter or blog maybe?), the best way to keep those interested in this game, and most importantly build this community. You are a HERO of near epic proportions of late, in my opinion, because you drop by, say hello, and give us pearls of wisdom on the state of the game.

I want to thank you for your work, respect that you're very busy and very proud, humbly am honored to be a part of this community, apologetic if the thread caused any angst, and wish your team the best of luck with building the best D&D online experience possible.

edited September 2012
    Awesome. Thank you Crypticmapolis for that. The purpose of my thread was not in any way meant to criticize your team's work on the Foundry, which I think most of us have been blown away with. You all should be VERY PROUD of it, I think it will revolutionize the playing field for us D&D folks that are exciting to share unlimited adventures that your efforts will provide.

However, many of the folks I spoke with potentially interested in joining us in Neverwinter tend to discuss two matters with me, the 4e differential (vs 3.5) and character creation/building. You're statements that "Character customization is still under heavy development" and "I wouldn't worry about it being too shallow" go a long way to establish the state of the game in relation to this issue.

Ya know, when I first joined this site (when it was on Cryptics servers), I said it was saddening because it seemed like a ghost town. I asked for some kind of a general progression, some kind of interaction with the community. We've lost many in a year, even more in the transition to the PW system. In my opinion, the missing link in the chain has always been a lack of communication, but a situation which you seem to be all over, and mending by your very presence. :)

I sincerely believe a regular dialog of progress would be a magic bullet (a small newsletter or blog maybe?), the best way to keep those interested in this game, and most importantly build this community. You are a HERO of near epic proportions of late, in my opinion, because you drop by, say hello, and give us pearls of wisdom on the state of the game.

I want to thank you for your work, respect that you're very busy and very proud, humbly am honored to be a part of this community, apologetic if the thread caused any angst, and wish your team the best of luck with building the best D&D online experience possible.

Ahmen to that brother Aandre.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012

Dont take us wrong crypticmapolis, u know we loved the foundry and what a great job u guys did there hehe we are just always looking for more and more info :P

We are VERY hungry :)
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012

No animosity was intended, I was just making our reasoning and intentions for all the Foundry info clear. Your points for needing to know more info on some things are perfectly valid, and I promise all will be revealed in time :)

As for communication with the devs is concerned, we have some things in the works and there are some very passionate devs on the team who want to increase dev-community interaction. Not all devs find the forums inviting, some prefer to just lurk and read feedback, and some want to find other means to communicate. I'm sure Stormshade will give you guys more info when the time comes.

In the meantime I'll do my best to answer what I know here :)
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hold on a second. Who's name calling?
    edited September 2012

And this is exactly what I asked for, even if it was we have nothing new we can talk about yet.

And sick of the Foundry?! This has been some of the most exciting information we've seen in months! Things like mentioning the Sword Coast show the breadth of exploration and missions overall, and helped fuel this debate over how characters are used (and used in the Foundry.) The Foundry is so much better than ever dreamed, and it is sow Awesome Beyond words that what I say pales to its intent, but having the world creation tasks done in Nevrwinter Nights that used to take hours now able to be done in minutes by drag and drop or pull down, yet still be able to go and do advanced features if you wish is nothing short of revolutionary!

Ahmen to that brother Aandre.

I too share the sentiments of Aandre, especially the highlighted parts of mine and Surf's previous post.

Just by being here Mapolis, you've caused a change in showing a response is what was needed, and a response was given. Of course I know people will want more and more details (which will happen over time) but having those like you give their community a voice (be it here or Facebook, Twitter or some other social site representing Neverwinter) for the gamers, even if brief, will make vast inroads into confidence and dialog.

Yes, I do concede the current generation of "instant information" will demand everything and think they know everything many times, but having some communication gives people, well, something to talk about over much to rumor on and worry about.
    No animosity was intended, I was just making our reasoning and intentions for all the Foundry info clear. Your points for needing to know more info on some things are perfectly valid, and I promise all will be revealed in time :)

As for communication with the devs is concerned, we have some things in the works and there are some very passionate devs on the team who want to increase dev-community interaction. Not all devs find the forums inviting, some prefer to just lurk and read feedback, and some want to find other means to communicate. I'm sure Stormshade will give you guys more info when the time comes.

And if there is a medium others do better in, including working with silently, do let us know (everybody) those mediums and how we can respond to help, If this means having somebody speak for you to tell us this, that's fine too. Just communicate with us so we know we've been heard and we can hear you.

And if that means we get to hear from the nice Mapolis more, we'll get by with that :)

I think what's meant is saying negative things about people personally if not literal name calling ya dummy! Just kidding on the dummy there! I couldn' t resist the lure :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012
    I think what's meant is saying negative things about people personally if not literal name calling ya dummy! Just kidding on the dummy there! I couldn' t resist the lure :)

Rotflmao! Seriously, aavarius, let's please move the discussion forward.

edited September 2012
    I'm really confused where this is going now. And that's probably from trying to read and post while jet lagged. I still don't see where I've singled out anybody in particular and called them anything, but I'll take a look again in the morning/afternoon when I'm conscious. If anybody finds a screw loose anywhere, keep a hold of it. It's mine i'll need it when i wake up
    edited September 2012
    I'm really confused where this is going now. And that's probably from trying to read and post while jet lagged. I still don't see where I've singled out anybody in particular and called them anything, but I'll take a look again in the morning/afternoon when I'm conscious. If anybody finds a screw loose anywhere, keep a hold of it. It's mine i'll need it when i wake up

Nobody has, that was the point, but others and me included were not nice in our previous wordings of prior posts. You may or may not be included but that is your call, not ours. Get some sleep and don't worry about it; we've moved forward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012

As for communication with the devs is concerned, we have some things in the works and there are some very passionate devs on the team who want to increase dev-community interaction. Not all devs find the forums inviting, some prefer to just lurk and read feedback, and some want to find other means to communicate. I'm sure Stormshade will give you guys more info when the time comes. dioxazine thread also seems abandoned, but no other dev(because she may be busy) has updated anything(if it is or not).

Forgive me not being enthusiastic about it. The has not been any regular communication from dev side till now. Only intermittent intrusion into lost lands at ungodly hours. I will just put forth a few examples for my point:-

• Ask the stromshade thread, a semi-regular form of communication with dev team has long been abandoned. There is already a large backlog of questions. That was meagre but fulfilling meal for community is empty storehouse now.// Another thread by dioxazine, which seems to be abandoned too.
    • Snippets are no longer present in new news in archive section(the one which give info about how devs thought out the ideas and had fun). Are you just trying to cut off previous initiatives too?
    • NW was merged before CO was and immediately we asked for improvements(and even agreed to reverting back of smilyes as suggested by SS, perhaps in anger). CO got them as soon as it was merged (here, including old non-disruptive smileys) while there has been no word at all for our suggestions (not even, we will work on it or no comments). Is this because the game is f2p and thus this community's demands don't have weight? Then please make it subscription based too. "Better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven' -Kahn(StarTrek)
    • Raiderz already had suggestion sub-forum part where community can post even before the close beta started (posting it because that is also a PWE game). There has been no active initiative from part of devs to get suggestions. Cant you just make a new thread and make it sticky? Or is it too much to ask.

There are lot of other issues which clearly indicate abandoning the community formed here in any way whatsoever. That said, I do appreciate your efforts on game and believe that game would be good. Infact I will still try to promote it if I can and get people to play it, but game is game - community is community. If you are developing game by abandoning community, admit it. At least I will feel happy that you are being honest. And you can make me hopeful too by saying you will come back.
    But until you do take some steps, instead of saying your marketing taglines to us which are obviously untrue - it won't earn you my respect.

p.s. Face the wrath of my anger - the super bright white on black website.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am enthusiastically cheering at the hard work you have put into the game like a fanboi, but at the same time I am booing with same energy whenever you say, "we want to involve community" because uptill now you have been apathatic to the forums here.
  • dragonbard71dragonbard71 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You know what I love most about these posts so far? Its seeing a different level of gamer passion, like a unique blend of PnP and Baldur's Gate / Neverwinter gamers all combined by a extraordinary alchemy, something rarely seen anymore.

It's like when my friends and family ask me about some of my favorite games, they are often suprised by that many older games are often in the top 10.....Why is that they always ask?

If the game grips me and sets my imagination aflame;
    whether it due to a amazing story that I need to go 10 more minutes without sleep to see where it's headed....(10 minutes is what I SAY, but we all know where that leads! LOL)
    Or interacting with World/quests/NPC's and battles that keep you intrigued, keep you on the edge of your seat with the same adrenaline pumping in your veins when you cast the die to see if group will survive or perish solely on the choices you made.

I really do think this team is on the correct path, but either way it warms my gamer-nature to see so many of like mind still out there!

I guess I just like to see that same level of passion on these forums is all :) So keep up the great work everyone!! :D