test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

False walls created

nubsorsnubsors Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in The Foundry
Well, I have figured out how to create false walls. Is this already common knowledge?
http://youtu.be/EomNp-ePIoU
Here is my Quest. I plan to make it a story arch.
NW-DBW5IYNH3
Post edited by nubsors on

Comments

• Options
    zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Video isn't available
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's processing, should be available now.
    NW-DBW5IYNH3
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It hasn't been documented publicly yet. So you should share how you did it.
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That was cool, we're all anxious to hear how you did it =)
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    keylord02keylord02 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can do this, but I thought it was a bug, so I've been reticent about using it in my dungeon designs!

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?296951-Possible-bug-Class-specific-doors-can-be-walked-through

I assume it also applies to item-required placeable too!
    Tomb of Wernar by @Lya
    Short code: NW-DJGYNI7NH

In this old school-style adventure, the hero(es) explore an old ruined castle while searching for a fabled magic item at the behest of a wizard.
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I assumed it was an item required thing as well.
  • Options
    shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, how do we do this? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's annoying. Create a wall and then make it visible to 1 class skill. Then duplicate it and make sure it's on the exact same location as the first wall, select a different class skill for the duplicate. Do this for all the class skills and make sure they are all stacked on the same location. All classes will be able to walk through the wall.
    NW-DBW5IYNH3
  • Options
    crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nubsors wrote: »
    It's annoying. Create a wall and then make it visible to 1 class skill. Then duplicate it and make sure it's on the exact same location as the first wall, select a different class skill for the duplicate. Do this for all the class skills and make sure they are all stacked on the same location. All classes will be able to walk through the wall.

Genius! LOVE that.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If I remember correctly you can invert the visibility so it can be visible to every class except for one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, talk about making lemonade out of lemons! Genius!
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    If I remember correctly you can invert the visibility so it can be visible to every class except for one.

Yeah, but I'm not quite sure why you would want to do that. Also, one of the things I did was to make a ghost walk through the wall to hint at its location.
    NW-DBW5IYNH3
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, but I'm not quite sure why you would want to do that. Also, one of the things I did was to make a ghost walk through the wall to hint at its location.

Perhaps the wall is a projected magic illusion and wizards aren't fooled by it? I don't know, just pointing out the possibility.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Gotcha. That makes sense.
    NW-DBW5IYNH3
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    While there's a lot of cool uses for this, I still want this bug to be crushed! I want to make custom doors that respond differently for each class and this makes my doors have no collisions. :(
    Tomb of Wernar by @Lya

In this old school-style adventure, the hero(es) explore an old ruined castle while searching for a fabled magic item at the behest of a wizard.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Gotcha. That makes sense.

You could also dupe a fake wall, and invert it's visibility, so that you only have to stack two fake walls instead of one for each class.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    keylord02 wrote: »
    While there's a lot of cool uses for this, I still want this bug to be crushed! I want to make custom doors that respond differently for each class and this makes my doors have no collisions. :(

You'll have to link an invisible wall to it I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    You'll have to link an invisible wall to it I guess.

Yeah, which got me a lot of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> from all the invisible wall haters. xD

So I've decided to avoid using them except in cases where I have to prevent monsters from attacking NPCs. (A necessary evil!)
    Tomb of Wernar by @Lya

• Options
    edited May 2013
    If you are clever you can use invisible walls without anyone noticing them. Just make sure you either have the wall interact-able with a required object like a key to block line of sight, or use a fake door that disappears and is replaced by a real door when the invisible wall disappears from completing whatever objective. The reason you'll need a fake door is because if an invisible wall is not interact-able it won't block your line of sight and you can open the door but not walk through it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, if you have a wall that can be walked through but put an invisible wall there... How the heck could anyone tell??

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Yeah, if you have a wall that can be walked through but put an invisible wall there... How the heck could anyone tell??

The invisible wall can be made to disappear when a certain objective is reached. The reason the intangible wall can be walked through is because it's made to only be visible if you have a certain skill, which deactivated it's collision properties. Stacking two intangible walls with the same skill requirement for visibility but inverting the visibility on one will result in an intangible wall any class can see but walk through. The invisible wall could be linked to any objective, or require an item or skill to deactivate. Thus only allowing the player to walk through the intangible wall after they progress so far in the story. There are many ways you could use this creatively in a dungeon or quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My point is why would someone notice that they are not able to go through a wall?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    My point is why would someone notice that they are not able to go through a wall?

To answer your question, they would not notice. It would seem like a completely ordinary wall. That's what makes it cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you have an item that you do NOT give out to the PC and use "inverted ifs" visibility item requirement on the wall, it can be walked through by anyone who doesn't have that item... So only one "illusory" wall needed... But, the problem I have with this is that it seems like a bug? I would be hesitant to use this if Cryptic is going to squash this in the near future.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    essenti wrote: »
    If you have an item that you do NOT give out to the PC and use "inverted ifs" visibility item requirement on the wall, it can be walked through by anyone who doesn't have that item... So only one invisible wall needed... But, the problem I have with this is that it seems like a bug? I would be hesitant to use this if Cryptic is going to squash this in the near future.

I don't think it's a bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadoewraythshadoewrayth Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the invisible wall subject (not the main subject apparently), the only times I use them are when during testing, encounters act moronic and do things like walk into nooks for no good reason (no matter how I place their patrol path), so to fix pathing, I will throw an invis wall to 'corral' them in the right directions (only noticeable if players decide to be idiots and check out that small space between the brick wall and the stairs that lead to a non-interactable door (like in the maps where there is a street and houses, but they are obviously NOT the destination, so WHY bother with them?)

The other time is when I set up a warded portal type thing... place portal, place 'circle of runes' around it, give it the 'summoning sound' (currently broken, maybe patch will come soon?) and place an invis wall or block on it to effectively keep the players out until the find the 'magic amulet' or 'book of rituals' that will bypass the runes...

That sort of thing is where I use them...

Making 'illusionary walls'?? Of course that is awesome, why wouldn't it be?? Could have a part of a quest where you go on a dream-walk with a spirit who shows you something... so you follow him/her, and they go through walls and such to get where they are going, queue a 'cutscene' (using the other tricks in the foundry), then do something to trigger waking up (and the player shows back up at the last map, but it is a duplicate) and goes to the places where the 'dream-walk' happened, only to find the walls are not so walk-through now, and they have to navigate a different way to get there...

Perhaps, in the dream, the place was a beautiful palace, but in reality it is now ruins? All sorts of fun to be had with a trick like that!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've been tossing up a bunch of invisible walls to guide player experience a bit. I don't feel like generating 5x as much map as I need to.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    If you have an item that you do NOT give out to the PC and use "inverted ifs" visibility item requirement on the wall, it can be walked through by anyone who doesn't have that item... So only one "illusory" wall needed... But, the problem I have with this is that it seems like a bug? I would be hesitant to use this if Cryptic is going to squash this in the near future.
    I tried this and it didn't seem to work right. Also, if Cryptic fixes this "bug" they will also eventually introduce real illusionary walls at some point. Why wait?
    NW-DBW5IYNH3
  • Options
    essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Weird... I think there actually is a bug here, but only when using the inverted ifs. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It works as expected after first setting the wall to be visible with a class-skill (or an item) with out inverted ifs set, and then resetting it back to inverted ifs item visibility. Sadly, if you leave the foundry and come back, it's back to being broken again.

I tested inverted ifs with class-skill and item visibility, they share the same buggy behavior...

Does anyone know if inverted ifs work correctly for published quests and not in the foundry?

EDIT: This last time I logged back into the foundry, my inverted ifs illusory walls were still working. I have no idea what is up with this. It just decides to work when it feels like it.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Weird... I think there actually is a bug here, but only when using the inverted ifs. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It works as expected after first setting the wall to be visible with a class-skill (or an item) with out inverted ifs set, and then resetting it back to inverted ifs item visibility. Sadly, if you leave the foundry and come back, it's back to being broken again.

I tested inverted ifs with class-skill and item visibility, they share the same buggy behavior...

Does anyone know if inverted ifs work correctly for published quests and not in the foundry?

EDIT: This last time I logged back into the foundry, my inverted ifs illusory walls were still working. I have no idea what is up with this. It just decides to work when it feels like it.

That being said, the method i use seems to work every time it's just monotonous to do it.
    NW-DBW5IYNH3