test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Malekhai's GWF Sentinel Tank(ish)

malekhaimalekhai Member Posts: 46
edited October 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to post with yet but I will update when I can. I also do not have it fully complete with high level enchants yet.

This is the best I can do ATM regarding a pic - Link to my build on tinyurl - http://nwcalc.com/gwf?b=iyn:3ql18:awn0,1uilx60:b0000:60000:6uuzv&h=1

FOREWORD:

So this build updated has the goal of a very high DMG resist and deflect. Currently I am sitting at around 50% DMG resist (With set bonus up) and 60% deflect with weapon master bonus. This means if an attack is deflected I only take 75% of the damage, which for example a rogue crits for 40k with lashing. You only take 10k of that and it fills your unstoppable for you, which then you can pop and restore the majority of that, knock him down with takedown and annihilate him/her.

After the expansion I should hold about 53% deflect with weaponmaster up. And I still can get rank 10 silverys which will increase my deflect by another 800 points.

And before you post regarding DPS and such this build is geared towards survivability.

EDIT: Several changes made to build, and armor set updated

Human

Reasons:

1.) Increased defense (3%), this also adds power as you will see later.

2.) 3 extra skill points, which again you will see the usefulness later on.

3.) Can put the ability score bonus into intel without losing the above bonuses

ABILITY SCORES:

STR - 17, rolled high for this one but put no points into it. Initial roll of 15

CON - 21, Increase health which helps for obvious reasons and increases armor pen. Rolled initial of 15

DEX - 19 Dex, initial roll of 14 (Changed to increase deflect chances

INT - 20, Rolled a 14 with bonus, no points put in

WIS - 12, Initial of 10, no points put in

CHA - 13, Initial of 11, no points put in

Focused on higher health, ARP (As I have none statwise), and deflect.

Edit: Just a list of stats to make up for lack of pics (And it is my personal choice don't go screaming at me for choosing defensive stats - I can still get mega crits with IBS and restoring strike) -

Power - 2503
Crit - 208
ARP - 120
Recovery - 52
Defense - 3509
Deflect - 3285
Regen - 492
Lifesteal - 940

UNSTOPPABLE:

Unstoppable changes in upcoming patch will reduce the survivability of the build a bit but at this point when I am in PvP I use it mainly to regain health. The added damage resist of Unstoppable doesn't make that big of a difference.

SKILLS:

I am just going to list the skills I used and the reasons why. The extra points you have can be filled in wherever. All the below skills were up to rank 3. Again continuing the trend of Blue as high priority and yellow as lower priority
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sure Strike (Slotted left click, PvP) - I only use this ability in PvP now and no longer has increased threat benefits or crit benefits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Weapon Masters Strike (Slotted right click, PvP, PvE) - I use this mainly as an opener attack and against large mobs when in unstoppable. Pumps out a lot of damage in unstoppable and provides debuff for sure strike and wicked strike.
Restoring Strike (Slotted as "E", PvP and PvE) - This could be changed out if necessary for another AoE but does a ton of healing and damage for Sent spec. I personally get around 3k Heal and then with spec get a 1.5k dot heal. Also does a decent amount of DMG in PvP

Edit: Always in place now, I don't change this ability out anymore
Slam (Slotted as "1", PvE, PvP) - Subject to change with new patch, may be changing to spinning strike in place for same threat/defense bonus and getting 100% deflect.
Takedown (Slotted as "Q", PvP) - I switched this ability in to get some sort of stun in on enemies in PvP, works well and does a decent amount of damage. Daring shout is still an option if you are getting shredded
Weapon Master (Slotted in Passives, Always) - Gives quite a few bonuses with spec. There is a glitch with this ability - It grants 5 stacks, not 3. This means a total of 15% deflect!

Edit: 10% after expansion.
Wicked Strike (Slotted as Right Click, PvE) - Yeah, you may not like it at all but with the 270 degree hit radius it helps a lot keeping the mobs on you with the damage being dealt out to everything around you. Main ability used in PvE during trash mobs. It also has some use in PvP as you can between one of the swings engage the sprint. In PvP you can change out for Weapon Master if you prefer.

Edit: Changed out for Sure Strike in PvP
Daring Shout (Slotted as "Q", Always) - This ability is in all the time in PvE. Gives a decent DMG resist bonus and marks all targets. This means 15% more DMG for you and 15% less DMG resist for them. Also has a slight damage bonus and you can pull some of the targets off a main group in PvE
Come and Get It (Slotted as "R", PvE Only) - DMG bonus for this means essentially nothing to me as it doesn't change much in the course of 3 seconds. With spec does 10% of power as damage and 100% increased threat. It also holds advantage when it draws enemies in. Sets them up better for Wicked Strike, Daring Shout, and/or Roar. Also gets any outlying mobs in your range to control them better. I like it in PvE as it gets all the targets near me.
Steel Blitz (Slotted as Passive, PvE) - Obvious bonus in increased damage. With Wicked Strike being used on a large number of mobs it provides a large bonus.

Edit: No longer used
Crescendo (Slotted as "2", PvP and PvE) - Not used very often, unless in PvP. Threat generation of Slam in PvE is too valuable to allow it to replace Slam.

Edit: Still remains unused, may change with implementation of expansion
Indomitable Battle Strike (Replaces Come and Get it for PvP only) - Obvious benefits in PvP. Main DMG in PvP. I still get 10k crits with this easy which is somewhat surprising when looking at my stats
Steel Grace (Replaces Steel Blitz in PvP) - Obvious benefits in decreased controlling effects.

Edit: No longer used in my build
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bravery (Slotted, PvP and PvE) - Made use of this ability due to high amount of deflect provided (15% preexpansion, 8% after.

HEROIC FEATS:

5/5 Unstoppable Action - More AP in unstoppable, which means more slam, which means more defense and threat
3/3 Toughness - More health....
3/3 Endless Assault - Again more DMG, though in the case of Restoring Strike this also translates to more healing.
3/3 Armor Specialization - Defense and AC are more effective which means more DMG resist
5/5 Steely Defense - Gives more power based on defense levels, and since there is a focus on defense this means a good amount of power.
3/3 Constitution Focus - More health and armor pen.....
1/3 Grit - More of an afterthough that anything else. Never know when that 1% of health will save you.

PARAGON FEATS:

5/5 Scale Agility - Changed from Student of the Sword to increase deflect.
5/5 Powerful Challenge - 15% more DMG against marked targets, much better than the two alternatives. Daring Shout marks all nearby targets and as I use it all the time it makes good sense to increase damage to those marked targets. IBS also marks targets which in PvP means 15% more DMG for you and 15% less resist for them
5/5 Unstoppable Recovery - 5% more health (Actual health, not temp) at Unstoppable pop. This will be beneficial with changes coming to unstoppables temp health
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5/5 Master at Arms - Obvious reasons as Weapon Master remains slotted at all times because of this feat. 5 AC translates to 2.5 DMG resist with this build and 15% deflect is a good amount in itself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
5/5 Intimidation - Unsure if I want to keep this or move back to Student of the Sword.
5/5 Defiance - Makes Slam incredibly useful. 25% extra defense is a lot. Around 700 extra for me. Unsure of what that translates to in DMG resist but it should be around 2-3% more. Put that into effect plus the extra threat and it makes it incredibly useful. Using it more for defense bonus then threat bonus at this point
1/1 Sentinel's Aegis - This allows defense to be more useful before diminishing returns really kicks in, or atleast that is my assumption. Plus this gives restoring strike a DoT heal, though it may not be much it does help and doubles the amount restoring strike heals.

GEAR:

Imposing Scrapper - This set is awesome in PvE as it stacks a ridiculous number of times. Highest I have seen is 15 stacks which means 75% Defense bonus, combine that with Slam up and that's 100% defense bonus. In PvP the heroic Duelists set might still be viable but I would lose a lot of deflect
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Reaver's Edge (Havent decided yet between Anc or Valiant Duelists as the upgrade) - Provides a decent amount of defense and deflect. I don't believe at this point I will upgrade except maybe when I get both Ancient pieces.
Cord of the Tortured Soul - Only sword knot in game with a defensive slot and it provides the stats I was looking for.
Ancient Pilgrims Necklace of Prayer (Power, deflect, lifesteal)
Ancient Priests Ring of Burning Light x2 Health bonus, defense, and deflect.
Ancient Brawlers Belt of Guts - Has a defense slot, provides health defense and lifesteal
Gemmed Embroidered Pants and Shirt - Didn't have AD too afford epic gemmed versions yet otherwise I would have.
Weapon Enhancement - Subject to change, I may be switching over to a lifedrinker enchante following some testing. In PvE my theory is assuming a mob of 5 opponents. Perfect Lifedrinker proved about 10% of weapon DMG as heal, plus another 10% in lifesteal. So 20% of weapon damage as heal. Assume 1k hits (Weaponmaster debuff) that is 200 healed every target you hit. 5 targets? That is 1k in heals approx. every half second or so. (Reminder this is all theory, if you have tested this let me know!)
Armor Enhancement - Briarthorn - I figured it would be a good route to go as I plan on going with the Fey Thistle boon (400 DMG every deflect). Not incredibly beneficial but I figured it would be worth a try.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Offense/Defense Slots: With updated gear I have 7 defensive slots and 3 offensive. I have 7 rank 7 Silvery Enchants in place atm for deflect bonuses and plan on either 3 rank 7+ dark enchants or 3 Greater Tenebrous for more damage.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Testing Stage:

2nd possible set of armor, Imposing Scrapper. Provides another 15% defense bonus with a ton of deflect and defense as stats. Will probably see a significant drop in DPS but will now maintain a 50% DMG resist for most fights base before unstoppable and maintain another 45% deflect.

Will post more details when I figure out if it works.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Extra Room again
  • Options
    archomentalarchomental Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The Bravery passive is a standard for me in this build, and I see no mention of it.

Not only does it give +15% speed which helps grabbing adds and getting out of AOE,
    but it also grants +15% deflect which is huge, and much more important than
    grabbing a damage dealing passive if this is the role you want.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I personally get around 3k Heal
    So your restoring strike deals 7500 damage on normal hit? What?
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    21... int.........
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I debated for a time on using it and with Sent spec and Weapon Mastery it would be a base 24% deflect. I chose steel blitz because I already have a high DMG resist with my skill set and needed to make up for the lost damage. I used Bravery leveling and was going to use it but then was convinced to give steel blitz a try. It works very well in sync with Wicked Strike and the increased damage across all the targets will give more threat. I may give bravery a try in a dungeon or two but I think Steel Blitz will work better overall.

And yes 2 INT. This provides 10% increased recharge, which in turn makes up for not focusing on recharge/recovery at all. This brings Restoring Strike down to about 10 sec recharge and Daring shout and come and get it to about 15 sec
  • Options
    lalalalalalla12412lalalalalalla12412 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I appreciate the effort, but...
    1) Sure strike + wicked strike <- no WMS at all?
    2) Not taking 15% crit sev or crit chance feats?
    3) Int???
    4) Weapon master passive only stacks 3 times?
    5) No IBS for pve?
  • Options
    railcarrailcar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    malekhai wrote: »
    First off is the 50% DMG resist at max determ. I have a base DMG resist of 42.6% due to various feats and gear. This puts me at 92.6% DMG resist (Not sure what the Hard Cap is or if there even is one) with just max Determ and unstoppable. I can use it at 50% determ and pop daring shout to achieve essentially the same thing.

Are you actually counting in feats here? Sentinel's Aegis and Armor Specialization don't show their defense boost on the character sheet. I have a listed damage resist of 45.9% on the character sheet, but my effective damage resist after these abilities is actually 59.7% per my combat logs, or just shy of 80% when the attack is deflected.
  • Options
    mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited July 2013
    I've stop reading when i saw the Int build, LOL.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I appreciate the effort, but...
    1) Sure strike + wicked strike <- no WMS at all?
    2) Not taking 15% crit sev or crit chance feats?
    3) Int???
    4) Weapon master passive only stacks 3 times?
    5) No IBS for pve?

I am attempting use of WMS in PvP but I felt Wicked Strike was more effective in PvE.

Crit Chance was not a focus of the build as the goal was to attain a higher damage resist. I could try the Crit Sev but I don't think the 3% crit chance will make a big difference for this build.

INT as explained above makes up for me not using anything in my gear that modifys my recharge speeds.

Weapon Master passive I have tested and it stacks 5 times on the dummies, and I did check to ensure those stacks were giving benefits to me in the char sheet.

IBS could be used but the marking system is not as effective as it should be so I decided to not use it in PvE.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I've stop reading when i saw the Int build, LOL.

INT provides the extra recovery/recharge speed that I needed in order to put enchants in other things such as ARP to make up for lost ground there.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The Bravery passive is a standard for me in this build, and I see no mention of it.

Not only does it give +15% speed which helps grabbing adds and getting out of AOE,
    but it also grants +15% deflect which is huge, and much more important than
    grabbing a damage dealing passive if this is the role you want.

I did some testing today and found that with the Weapon Master passive (Providing 5 stacks for some reason?) and Bravery I get 35% deflect with around 200 deflect. This may be worth it to switch over to into a dungeon and I will test for sure, but it may make it more difficult to hold aggro
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    railcar wrote: »
    Are you actually counting in feats here? Sentinel's Aegis and Armor Specialization don't show their defense boost on the character sheet. I have a listed damage resist of 45.9% on the character sheet, but my effective damage resist after these abilities is actually 59.7% per my combat logs, or just shy of 80% when the attack is deflected.

I had no idea these feats didn't show defense boost in Char sheet. I will do the math and see what I come up with for actual bonus.

After doing a bit of math (and a different gear set) I believe I am getting 60.33% That is before 25% benefit of Slam and before DMG resist bonus of Daring Shout and the Scrapper set bonus which I am testing.

Did the following math to see what I got if your assumptions of the feats not showing bonuses in char sheet. (This is with the bonuses of Daring Shout, Slam, and Scrapper set)

39.8*1.35=DMG resist from Defense (53.73)
    +
    33 AC= 11.5% DMG resist= 11.5*1.15= DMG resist from AC (13.225)
    =
    66.955 DMG resist before Unstoppable

Correct my math if It was done incorrectly please.

IF the feat bonuses don't show in char sheet.
  • Options
    lalalalalalla12412lalalalalalla12412 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am attempting use of WMS in PvP but I felt Wicked Strike was more effective in PvE.

Crit Chance was not a focus of the build as the goal was to attain a higher damage resist. I could try the Crit Sev but I don't think the 3% crit chance will make a big difference for this build.

INT as explained above makes up for me not using anything in my gear that modifys my recharge speeds.

Weapon Master passive I have tested and it stacks 5 times on the dummies, and I did check to ensure those stacks were giving benefits to me in the char sheet.

IBS could be used but the marking system is not as effective as it should be so I decided to not use it in PvE.

WMS makes your at wills hit 30% more. You should always weave WMS + SS for single target and spam WMS only for aoe damage. WMS spam does around the same level of damage as wicked.

IBS is good not because it marks (who cares about that really), its because its a mini aoe. Its the strongest encounter gwf has, especially when you have a good CW.

Regarding the INT, the reason why its not optimal is because a stone of allure gives 2.2k stats and once you have high gs, you will have enough recovery stat. You are giving away either ~6% damage through STR or ~6% crit chance from DEX for some recovery which gwf doesnt even use that well.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...INT as explained above makes up for me not using anything in my gear that modifys my recharge speeds.

With all due respect but this is a very inefficient way of balancing stats. There is no gear that modifies recharge speed ONLY. There is gear that modifies Recovery, which reduces recharge speed AND increase AP gain. So your boosted INT is only replacing HALF of the benefit you get from Recovery. Hec I might even consider it an option if it gave 2% for every point, but 1% for 1 is not worth it at all.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    stolly76stolly76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited July 2013
    Good to see you having a go though..there's no Sentinel Tanky type link in the master list section yet. I tried my best back on the first day of balance patch, but I tested it for atleast a week, but may test again with my 2nd gwf that's collecting dust and doing daily leadership and prayer for ad. I might have to bump it back up since it's been ages since last post. Please let me know what you think of it Malekhai. I'll provide link below, but it's not considered a decent build in my eyes and most likely a lot of other sentinel fans.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?345001-Stolly-s-GwF-Sentinel-Offtank-Tank-PvE-build!&highlight=Stolly%27s+sentinel
  • Options
    kalthonarkalthonar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Thank you so much for this guide:)

I am just starting out and was wondering if it would be possible to make a variation on this build using dexterity and constitution with recovery gear?

The reason I am asking is because I really want to play as a non-human race and other races like half-orcs get bonuses to stats like constitution or dexterity over intelligence.

Once again, thanks for this guide.
  • Options
    belladanbelladan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Pre-60, int is actually kind of almost viable. Pre-GWF buff, having an extra 3-5 int was useful within certain rotations as the 1str difference for a human with scaling still provided reasonable dps.

Now, with the reduced cast timers for our encounters, 3-5 int is too much because the Strength % in damage scales hell of a lot nicer then previously due to the damage increase in our encounters. Starting with a base 10 int is better then starting with an 8 int, as we always, always gain +1 stat in each area. The very slight 2int bonus can get your CD's down below 10s, even without AoW Set. (ie, if you have 8 in any stat allocation slot, you are doing it wrong.)

I've actually done the comparison for our abilities and it provides a 0.8second timer increase at level 1 with 17 int compared to a 10int character.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    New change to build with upcoming Feywild release.

New focus is Deflection and defense. Armor enchant changed to Briarthorn. Armor set changed to Imposing Scrapper. Preexpansion attained 60% deflect and 50% DMG resist before unstoppable. INT stat was dropped and new focus is DEX and CON instead

After patch, should be around 50% deflect 50% DMG resist. Fey Thistle boon grants 400 dmg every deflect and another boon grants healing. Also changed one of the sent feats (One that buffs sure strike) to Unstoppable Recovery
  • Options
    andondarkmoreandondarkmore Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am going for a Human Sentinel Build.
    Thanks for this thread.
    My stats S/C/D 16/14/16 Ending up as 20/20/20
  • Options
    b3rz3rk3db3rz3rk3d Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm considering going down the sentinel line. I took Unstoppable Recovery and Stunning Flourish because all I really do is pvp, and that leaves me with 21 points left. I then obviously took Student of the Sword and I chose to spec into deflect as well. 11 points left. Here's where I'm stuck. Do you think it's a better overall dps increase to spec into Grudge Style, Master at Arms, and the capstone with Bravery and Weapon Master, or into Great Weapon Focus and Deep Gash with Breavery and Steel Blitz. I also have Steely Resolve which boosts power off of defense. I understand the Sentinel line is going to give me better survivability, but what about purely for dps? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I am going for a Human Sentinel Build.
    Thanks for this thread.
    My stats S/C/D 16/14/16 Ending up as 20/20/20

Not bad, though I would suggest an increase in the constitution and dex personally. With my change to the build deflect is the main focus and constitution is always a good way to go with Arp pen boost and health boost
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    b3rz3rk3d wrote: »
    I'm considering going down the sentinel line. I took Unstoppable Recovery and Stunning Flourish because all I really do is pvp, and that leaves me with 21 points left. I then obviously took Student of the Sword and I chose to spec into deflect as well. 11 points left. Here's where I'm stuck. Do you think it's a better overall dps increase to spec into Grudge Style, Master at Arms, and the capstone with Bravery and Weapon Master, or into Great Weapon Focus and Deep Gash with Breavery and Steel Blitz. I also have Steely Resolve which boosts power off of defense. I understand the Sentinel line is going to give me better survivability, but what about purely for dps? Thanks.

I personally went for pure survivability. I went with Scale Agility, Powerful Challenge, Intimidation (PvE),Defiance (Slam Defense bonus is awesome, gives just a little extra survivability, 1 or 2 points of DMG resist. This may change though with expansion, Master at Arms, and Sentinels Aegis. I put my last 5 points into Unstoppable recovery
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Update on the build - Will be dropping the feat that increase dmg against marked targets and replacing with Grudge Style. No longer using Slam, Spinning Strike and Crescendo are my dailies now. I also dropped another feat in Sentinel (One that increases defense with slam/spinning strike). replaced with Destroyer feat that increases at will damage by 10%.

Deflect is hovering around 50% with around 50% dmg resist. Still sticking with my Imposing Scrapper set. All rank 7 silveries now (7 Defensive slots). Stone focus is ARP, power, lifesteal.

Updated with a Bloodtheft and a Lifedrinker enchant as well. Increased survivability, with lifesteal stat get around 18% weapon damage returned on an atwill. Gets to be about 150 per hit with sure strike Around 450-600 per second returned without unstoppable.

Unstoppable nerf has done nothing to my build. Still extremely survivable in PvP.

Have yet to get the boons for healing and deflect damage.
  • Options
    itisreal27itisreal27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Im building something similar at this moment. How do you get 7 def slots?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Sorry I took so long to get a reply out. Seven defensive slots are possible with Cord of the Tortured Soul and Blood Infused Necklace (lvl 58 item). I changed out the necklace for an ancient one and now only have 6 defensive slots.
  • Options
    rash43rash43 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Why stacking int if you could stack more recovery?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I am no longer stacking INT. I went Con/Dex instead. I haven't yet updated the main page for the build. You will have to look through the posts to see the last updates. I have been busy and haven't had time to go and edit the main post