What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Metzli's Dungeon DPS Guide

Comments

• Options
    darkv0id888darkv0id888 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can anybody help me with a skillbar/rotation/passives relating specifically to Azharzel? I'm really struggling in that fight and I think I'm missing something key, maybe allowing the wing swoop to kill a bait and switch dummy for AP or something. Any help would be appreciated I feel like I'm holding my guild back.
  • Options
    kashimaa1kashimaa1 Member Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    i dont know which boss you mean but as they are all the same basically i use bait and switch at every pull and bosses. its the fastet way to get AP. beside that it helps to get stealthed double time, which means? right, more dps, more AP (if specced) less damage taken. i also like the shadow strike. its nice to get you in stealth OR interrupt the boss big hits.

Full AP = HIGH DPS

i can go full out on almost every pull, that means my AP is full almost every pull. i only met one player so far who did more dps than me, it was a rogue in full T2 + 5 gp proc. /Wave Merma ;)
  • Options
    solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    @darkvoid888 If you mean your dps is low, well dracolich just has a ton of health. It takes a while.
    If you mean you are dieing to his aoe's, then maybe you should take impossible to catch.
    Chances are you just think the fight lasts too long, so you aren't doing enough dps. Dracolich has around double the health of every other boss in the game, so it's a pretty long fight. Especially when you consider how frequently you need to dodge aoe, even with a GF in the group, and that the other dps are probably preoccupied by the adds.
  • Options
    telainfilotelainfilo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Success Story,

First of all, I want to thank Metzli for his great work and effort.

I reached level 60 a few days ago and was wondering how other ppl. build his rogue, that’s why I went here and read this thread. I have a half orc, the reason why I rolled an half orc, by the way, was because of the strength, dexterity bonus and indeed the higher critical modifier.

I have no “purple” items equipped yet, except the dagger given by the Hero of the North pack, all my items are “blue”, helmet and belt “green”.

My original build was pretty similar to the one presented in this thread, but since all said by Metzli and some other guys here makes absolutely sense to me, (at this point I will encourage all who read the thread to not simply make a “copy-paste” of the build, but try to understand why it works how it works), I decided to try and respect my char. Actually I was on a quest in the whispering caverns where you have to kill the forge master (sorry If location and quest are not described correctly, I installed the game in German language, my native language). The damage performance after the respect was pretty better, honestly I didn’t write down every single damage I did before and after, but I always had a look on the lashing blade critical hit, because of his high damage value. Before respect I damaged the trash mob between 9000 and 11000. After the respect the lashing blade critical goes up to 12200 – 13000, and as I mentioned above, I’m really not equipped perfect.

Before the first bridge in that cavern, I encounter a small group of trash mob with an “group leader”, you know the ones with the fat life bar :), the lashing blade critical did an insane damage of 25621, honestly I didn’t never seen such a damage before and I’m sure I have to wait a long time until I see that again, I was so amazed that I toke a screenshot an d put it as signature. :)
  • Options
    pizzarazzipizzarazzi Banned Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    i want to know about the tenebrous enchants

on my gwf i used 5 tenebrous enchants and regularly got 7-8 procs from a single weapon masters strike. They proc off bleeds and DoTs as well (plaguefire weapon), I have gotten up to 11 procs every often as well. This is WELL within 10 seconds

where are you getting your math from
  • Options
    joshuadaynejoshuadayne Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2013
    How much ARP should I am for dungeons?
  • Options
    fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    derp'ed please delete.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • Options
    solsol1337solsol1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    @pizzarazzi I didn't do any math. I parsed the combat log and noticed that they proc exactly every 10 seconds. There is a bug where they will infrequently double proc, but they're still not good.
  • Options
    pizzarazzipizzarazzi Banned Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    strange that in my combat log testing before ACT was a thing on NW they always procced twice sometimes thrice well within 10 seconds
  • Options
    uzurperuzurper Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This the 1st guide that I think is knowledgeable. Sadly Im gona have to respec as I specced for 20% increased effectiveness of CA instead of 20% more Action Points and that seems to have much better synergy with a build that helps you stealth a lot. Amirite?

As a matter of fact, just how advatageous is CA? I cant find any decent info on how much of a dmg boost 20% more CA effectiveness actually gives?! Anyone with more insight pls illuminate me.
  • Options
    kent10skent10s Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a cat companion, is that good or do i need to just buckle down and get the Stone of Allure ?
    "Drive it like u stole it"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kent10s wrote: »
    I have a cat companion, is that good or do i need to just buckle down and get the Stone of Allure ?

you have bought a cat but you have no idea AT ALL?

its like asking "i have bought a porsche, is that good? what can i do with it?"

ROFL.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kashimaa1 wrote: »
    you have bought a cat but you have no idea AT ALL?

its like asking "i have bought a porsche, is that good? what can i do with it?"

ROFL.

Hmm, not the intended response i was looking for. I guess its much easyer to insult someone that to just be helpful, i guess i asked too much of this person. was trying to determine if i really needed the stone of Allure, but i will wait for a more mature response.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Why dont you just use your, you know ... brain?
    all pro's and con's are listed in this thread. i read them, and bought a cat. for me its the better choice. but the stone is as good as the cat with some minor differences. wanna know the differences? read the thread.

dont you think yourself you look like a fool buying a _very_ expensive item first to ask abot it later?
    exploit much?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Why dont you just use your, you know ... brain?
    all pro's and con's are listed in this thread. i read them, and bought a cat. for me its the better choice. but the stone is as good as the cat with some minor differences. wanna know the differences? read the thread.

dont you think yourself you look like a fool buying a _very_ expensive item first to ask abot it later?
    exploit much?

Again, waiting on a Mature Response.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sry dude your mom is not around. help yourself.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    A cat cannot get as many offensive stats as a stone. I am pretty sure you can achieve similar stat totals, but a stone can be completely offensive.
  • Options
    schnapdragonschnapdragon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great guide Metzli! Just one question though pertaining to the dex vs cha debate. My half orc is about 35 right now and with 21 str, 21 dex, and 13 cha without fire buff. I know Str is the priority, but as for the other two, could I leave my dex at 21 or 22 and pump the rest into cha? and would around 2000 critical strike be enough to getm y crit chance to 50?
  • Options
    zip2stepzip2step Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sry dude your mom is not around. help yourself.

Dude, obviously your Mommy was not around to help you because you never grew up!

You clearly brought down this very informative and helpful thread from your posts and showing us your infinite wisdom. You had to ask this question earlier in the thread and now come off as a genius know it all and then put somebody down for their question. It is getting to be a long thread, people may miss things, not understand something or maybe they just don't get it. There is no reason to troll or put a person down because they are trying to learn and be a better player.

Metzli has not abandoned this thread and answers most if not all inquires no matter what they are with mature, dignified and insightful responses. As you can see he responded in wonderful fashion himself even if it was already covered previously. I really see no need for your type of input or acting as if you are the op and it was an affront to you. So please try and emulate Metzli as best you can instead of going down the route you are. The community will be so much the better for it.

Now for a positive note...

Metzli, this is a great and informative thread with a lot of knowledge and perspective. For anyone thinking about playing a Rogue it is a must read. Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put in sharing your knowledge and experience with the community. I for one really appreciate it and I am sure many others do as well. Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @schnapdragon

3000 crit for me is enough to be around 50%.

I don't really like charisma. CA damage is meh given current game mechanics for dungeons. And the pet stat bonus does not accomplish much for the 4 extra points you can add to it when leveling. If you want to get 50% crit without wasting a lot of extra points on crit rating though then maxing dex out is a must have.

Also thanks everyone that supports the guide! Glad it's being useful, definitely put enough time into it.
  • Options
    aciddrop69aciddrop69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what rotation do you use on dracolich?
  • Options
    bradmulebradmule Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    solsol1337 wrote: »
    At worst you've added 2 charisma instead of 2 dexterity at this point. Probably not worth a reroll just for that. If you ever do a zen respec you get to rechoose those stats anyway.

I used a respec token and I wasn't able to do the 'dice roll' on stats or pick my free +2s again (which I didn't need to change anyways). I thought these were part of the respec token and I was quite upset when they weren't. I was going to go 18 dex/15 str/13 char, but I'm stuck at 16/16/12 for the extra crit, so now im at like 47.5 % crit at 3300 crit rating.
  • Options
    joshuadaynejoshuadayne Member Posts: 16
    edited May 2013
    Life steal gems vs HP Gems on defense slots?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @aciddrop69 On dracolich I do it the same as usual except I take Impossible to catch instead of lashing blade.

@joshuadayne I prefer the hp enchants. Life steal will heal you back up, but if you don't survive the hit in the first place then what good does it do you?
  • Options
    leetsawcesleetsawces Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    So Ive read through your main posts and understand the rotation, but there are so many "what ifs" and "in this case" what does your bar look like most of the time.. eg. encounters/at wills/dailies etc

Thanks. And is your final build the one posted in the first post (is it up to date?)
  • Options
    rhavialrhavial Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thought on the Master Duelist set? I believe atm it's bugged and doesn't work with DF but if its fixed at some point won't it have great potential?

Also on the Dracolich fight some tips:
    Best group composition would be 2 DC, 2 TR, 1 CW btw.

1)Try to turn the boss around so it's sides are towards the cleric group. This way neither the Tail Swipe or Breath will threaten your casters.
    2)You can dodge the Wing Slam by timing your dodge and jumping into him. This way you won't lose dps running away and to him again.
    3)Impossible to Catch really shines in this fight. (I use it on 90% of dungeons I run).
    4)If you stand in the breath with ItC on (didnt have the balls to try it without) your cooldowns will go down to 1 second.
    5)I found Smoke Bomb amazing in this fight, usually lots of adds around me that get damage in before the mage grabs them
  • Options
    melizandemelizande Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A question and a comment.

First thing, Crit Rating. Are we really expected to only have 2000? I am level 57 and climbing, and my crit is currently at 3892. That's right. Almost double. And my crit % is only at 44%. Now this is without critical teamwork, and WITH a cat companion. And even with that feat, my crit % would be below the 50 mark that so many rogues say they achieve easily.

So does something change dramatically at level 60 where 2000 crit suddenly becomes 50% crit chance? Or am I missing something?

Secondly, I wanted to share a delightful little discovery.
    So many rogues seem to brush off Deft Strike as relatively useless in PvE. I wanted to share that I've discovered it can be the most delightful ability in group PvE dungeons and soloing alike. It's absolutely joyous to use.

Soloing, my rotations go something like this: Deft Strike teleport in, stealth in transit, and begin hacking away. Bait and switch when stealth is low to refill bar. Then roll out and Shadow Strike to refill again, Deft strike back into melee, again stealthing in motion, and continue. I end many fights without having taken a scratch, and I feel like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> doing it!
    Then, I can engage the next group, do a Shadow Strike from range to refill my Stealth bar if it's not up yet, blink in using Deft Strike, stealth in motion, and it all begins again!

In Groups? It's the same thing! Only against bosses there are so many encounters where I have to roll out of a large AoE, knowing that I am going to unstealth, or not wanting to waste precious stealth time, and I can immediately blink back into melee range and appear behind the enemy, starting my DF chain all over again. Of course you can tank abilities using ItC, but then you're willingly breaking stealth when you might not have to.

It's fun, it's tactical. It's flashy, you're using largely short-cooldown abilities so you have plenty of buttons to press, and it's about as close as you can get your character to seem like the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rogue from the launch trailer :)
  • Options
    byonahbyonah Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    Is the offhand weapon considered a stat stick or does the damage on it matter?
  • Options
    noshiznoshiz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Awesome post m8! Thanks for the guide!!
    fs_49316d8a5de21281b0f4fc8f0089006b.png