test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Renegade Control Wizard -- Stats, Feats and Powers (oh my!)

Comments

• Options
    diansiuttidiansiutti Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got this many times, and every time i get this i just ask myself, should i use my encounters???

lol
  • Options
    zefsgrzefsgr Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It just shows the stacked damage of the magic missiles.
  • Options
    professore12professore12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know about stacked damage, because I can clearly see 5 numbers going from like 25k all the way up to 35k. So it's like 1 hit 25k, 2nd hit 27k, 3rd 29k, 4th 32k, 5th 35k.
    Highest I had 70k + 71k + 72k on 3rd hit (9k gs). I see that screenshots are saved without the UI in them so I can't show you exactly what I'm talking about. If anyone knows how to save screenshots with the UI (numbers and stuff) in them I would appreaciate sharing that knowledge.
  • Options
    uberoverpoweruberoverpower Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know about stacked damage, because I can clearly see 5 numbers going from like 25k all the way up to 35k. So it's like 1 hit 25k, 2nd hit 27k, 3rd 29k, 4th 32k, 5th 35k.
    Highest I had 70k + 71k + 72k on 3rd hit (9k gs). I see that screenshots are saved without the UI in them so I can't show you exactly what I'm talking about. If anyone knows how to save screenshots with the UI (numbers and stuff) in them I would appreaciate sharing that knowledge.

You're adding damage from each MM hit. Aren't those numbers orange ones? As you can see from the numbers you noticed, 25k to 27k means your MM hit or crit for 2k damage...then from 27k to 29k means another 2k...then 29k to 32k means 3kMM damage...and so on.

Those numbers seem about right
  • Options
    zefsgrzefsgr Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Come on, it shouldn't be so hard to understand it's the sum of the damage and it keeps adding if you keep casting that spell.
    If you were hitting for 70k each MM hit that would be a damage bug on the class.
  • Options
    carnaflex17carnaflex17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just about to hit 60 and looking forward to running dungeons and I'm looking into getting some gear. Question is can i get some decent gear with about 1.5m AD? and if so what gear should I be looking to get?
  • Options
    fattynicksfattynicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel as though I'm doing less damage with this spec than I was with my "random *** put points where it seems best that level" spec from leveling.

I managed to get points into Snap Freeze, which is actually a huge damage boost if you use Chill Strike and Conduit of Ice. (since your target isn't chilled, its 20% extra damage. I was using Sudden Shock, Conduit of Ice, Chill Strike and Shield as my encounters. Chill strike on Mastery. I went from critting 6-7k to critting 4.5k-5.2k with Chill Strike, conduit was about a 1000 per tick, now its in the mid 700's. The only times my targets are chilled is from Chill Strike... which doesn't keep chill up cause of the cooldown, so I'm losing out on 20% of two of my main AoE damage abilities. Also the bonus applies to Ice Knife, which was seeing between 10-13k crits @ above 30% life, and 13-18k crits below 30% life.

Its hard to choose between passives though. The bonus from arcane presence to two out of my three encounter abilities is greater than the 15% gain in damage on my non-cold Sudden Shock from Evocation. Using Evocation instead my Conduit dropped from mid 700's to low 600's, and my chill strike got even worse, and worse yet was Ice Knife. Hardly worth even having it as a daily, its barely 1k more damage than sudden shock.

This is just solo play though, I'm sure the case is different in dungeons where there can be another CW applying chill to things. But thus far, I'm saddened that I wasted 600 zen to respec to this, maybe I'm just playing it wrong though.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just about to hit 60 and looking forward to running dungeons and I'm looking into getting some gear. Question is can i get some decent gear with about 1.5m AD? and if so what gear should I be looking to get?
    First get a Cat from the AD Vendor (980k) if you don't have one or an Ioun Stone already.

If you just want to get some GS to be able to enter the Epics, just look for Very Rare (purple) gear for each slot in the AH. You should be able to fill out most slots for less than 10k each, which should let you enter most of the Epics. If you're looking for a decent investment, try finding an Orb of the Spirit Cave for a decent price (depends on server, less than 50k on Dragon), with that you'll not be looking for a new Orb for a long time.
  • Options
    saltybhallssaltybhalls Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wizards without a staff is blasphemy and so is having a cat.
    I really cant accept this.
  • Options
    kyshira1kyshira1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great info
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Changed my rotation and can easily keep up with rogue DPS if not surpassing them. This feat spec is awwwesoooome.
  • Options
    fattynicksfattynicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Changed my rotation and can easily keep up with rogue DPS if not surpassing them. This feat spec is awwwesoooome.

Whats your skills/rotation, if I might ask? I've seen a net drop in my damage since switching to this spec.
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    fattynicks wrote: »
    Whats your skills/rotation, if I might ask? I've seen a net drop in my damage since switching to this spec.
    start out with steal time/then enfeeblement(have chillburst tabbed)..3rd spell is chillburst and while those are cooling down in between I cast magic missile. Very important..my dailies are singularity and Ice Spike. In order to build up ap quickly I have my 4th spell shield/ repulse AND I USE IT regardless of rogues and GFs whining.(so every time that's up..i try to cast it tactically)

If group wants to get nasty about repulse threaten "no black dot for 45 seconds instead of every 15"..they'll make due :)
  • Options
    violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    start out with steal time/then enfeeblement(have chillburst tabbed)..3rd spell is chillburst and while those are cooling down in between I cast magic missile. Very important..my dailies are singularity and Ice Spike. In order to build up ap quickly I have my 4th spell shield/ repulse AND I USE IT regardless of rogues and GFs whining.(so every time that's up..i try to cast it tactically)

If group wants to get nasty about repulse threaten "no black dot for 45 seconds instead of every 15"..they'll make due :)

An easy way to solve this problem is to run 2xDC and 2xCW/1xTR or 1xCW/2xTR. Put the TR(s) on big stuff that isn't affected by knockbacks and the CW(s) are free to stand in the double Astral Shields and Shield Push + AS at will. Works really well and no complaints. I've been using this comp for Epic Karrun and Spellplague runs.

If you are running with GWFs or dps GFs though, it's counterproductive to use Shield Push on CD because they do way more damage than you can (good ones anyway), are pretty much immune to CCs (Indom) and can keep aggro off you anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Im pushing 17 mil dps on a karrundax run..don't know very many GWFs OR GFs that can keep up.(legit)

(that's on my server..don't wanna come off as bragging cause theres no way I would have ever achieved it without OPs help)..maybe you know GFs and GWFs that do better..I know like two on my server that can keep up)
  • Options
    pilotmikepilotmike Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just curious, why put 5 points in malevolent surge instead of snap freeze? MS can give me up to 10% extra damage; however, I don't even know if it will stack unless I get the killing blow. On a single boss fight it is worthless. Then you look at snap freeze, I get 20% extra damage with chill strike and conduit of ice against targets which don't have chill, and the only spell that I use that applies chill is chill strike. I've got to assume the chill from 1 chill strike wears off before the CD is up for me to cast it again which means I've just buffed my highest DPS skill 20% plus I THINK I've also buffed ice knife 20%.

what am I missing here? is the occasional 10% added to magic missile really that good?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't think its a bug but I've seen magic missile crit for 70,000( and that was with the usual focused buildup up 20k..30k..40k..50k..60K before it ;) ) and that's not like a unicorn deal..it happens when I slip into the crit Nightmare wizardry mode .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't think its a bug but I've seen magic missile crit for 70,000( and that was with the usual focused buildup up 20k..30k..40k..50k..60K before it ;) ) and that's not like a unicorn deal..it happens when I slip into the crit Nightmare wizardry mode .

You've never seen it crit that hard. The dmg you're seeing displayed is additive.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pilotmike wrote: »
    You've never seen it crit that hard. The dmg you're seeing displayed is additive.
    so you're saying its showing a compilation of separate hits that adds up to a final number?..and why does it do this for only magic missile? That makes no sense.Why would they choose to display the damage on that particular spell that way?..and no others?
    (I'm not calling you a liar Id like to know if its possible to turn that feature off.)
  • Options
    mathakarmathakar Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if you will see this or if it has been said before but you can use the Storm Pillar At will to charge up your Action points without having to cast it on anybody.

It might take a while but you can also target NPCs or such and literally spam it and have your Daily ready within a minute. It can be useful if you wipe or really want to start a fight with your dailies ready. I think it might be worth mentioning and it does make the Storm pillar a LOT more useful than it would be otherwise, I think.

I put one point in it and use it just for that since I cannot really justify using any other at will over my Magic missile at any moment. My second at will pretty much remained useless until I got storm pillar and started to use it as an AP battery. >.>

I also think you should add that the Shield push can be used in combination with Singularity to push mobs off cliffs and such, instantly killing them. (Can also be done with Spell mastery Force Push.) It makes it a must have for PvE quick Runs. Another thing that should be added I think is that the Shield push does not have a limit on the numbers of targets, unlike many abilities like Steal Time. Meaning that if you are facing a huge amount of enemies (against certain bosses that spawn tons of adds), it can be used to almost instantly recharge all of your AP if not give you 75% or more, back.

Those weird mechanics for these two spells greatly increase their values, I believe, and are definitely worth mentioning.

:)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I just pretty much carried a group through epic Karrundax and did roughly 30 mil dps. Ill have to check that storm pillar out hmmmm..>.>...<.<
  • Options
    kazuma66666kazuma66666 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so you're saying its showing a compilation of separate hits that adds up to a final number?..and why does it do this for only magic missile? That makes no sense.Why would they choose to display the damage on that particular spell that way?..and no others?
    (I'm not calling you a liar Id like to know if its possible to turn that feature off.)

As far as I can tell, the engine will add up the damage as long as you use the same ability. As soon as you use another ability it will stop adding it up. I only tested this with magic missile.

I know this because I tested it on the boss of "straight to helm" skirmish. I got to 30K damage before stopping. I have a hard time believing a lvl 25-30 can get to 30K damage with a magic missile. Besides, if I was really doing 30K damage a missile, I would disintegrate the boss.
  • Options
    drussivdrussiv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They just add the damage as long as you keep attacking with the same spell.
  • Options
    runicfirunicfi Member Posts: 269 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just pretty much carried a group through epic Karrundax and did roughly 30 mil dps. Ill have to check that storm pillar out hmmmm..>.>...<.<

I only needed to do around 11 million damage to clear the whole dungeon in 40 minutes, and was on top. The boss died in 7 minutes, which means we had quite high DPS ( damage per second ) if not total damage done. Was your group that slow? Because if you did the dungeon in the same timeframe then I find it hard to believe you'd put out 30 million damage done ( I guess that's what you mean, instead of DPS. )

We did skip the skippable packs though. 0 wipes on bosses. The only way I can see someone doing 3 times the damage required to clear the dungeon is that the run took ages and there were many wipes, or that no one else did any real damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    painstakingly slow..skipped nothing..wiped twice on Karrundax at the very last sliver end and group makeup was bad..two GWFs two CWs and one cleric.
  • Options
    runicfirunicfi Member Posts: 269 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    painstakingly slow..skipped nothing..wiped twice on Karrundax at the very last sliver end and group makeup was bad..two GWFs two CWs and one cleric.

Allright. Sorry to hear. But that explains it. Was thinking have I missed something out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Reposting since the question about additive dps stole the show for a page or so :).

Just curious, why put 5 points in malevolent surge instead of snap freeze? MS can give me up to 10% extra damage; however, I don't even know if it will stack unless I get the killing blow. On a single boss fight it is worthless. Then you look at snap freeze, I get 20% extra damage with chill strike and conduit of ice against targets which don't have chill, and the only spell that I use that applies chill is chill strike. I've got to assume the chill from 1 chill strike wears off before the CD is up for me to cast it again which means I've just buffed my highest DPS skill 20% plus I THINK I've also buffed ice knife 20%.

what am I missing here? is the occasional 10% added to magic missile really that good?

Thanks!
  • Options
    frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pilotmike wrote: »
    MS can give me up to 10% extra damage
    *Up to 30% as it can stack 3 times.
  • Options
    skurai123skurai123 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, would going WIS/CHA be better than INT/CHA? While I do lose out on the damage, the control bonuses look really nifty.
  • Options
    assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    skurai123 wrote: »
    So, would going WIS/CHA be better than INT/CHA? While I do lose out on the damage, the control bonuses look really nifty.

why dont go both?

my build is 26 int, 20 wis and 18 cha

i think AP regen, control bonus and recharge is better than just 5% crit
This discussion has been closed.