test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Renegade Control Wizard -- Stats, Feats and Powers (oh my!)

Comments

• Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    violated87 wrote: »
    Are you talking about "Tempest Magic"? If so, it's just a 10% damage boost. If you assume it's working as intended, your AM would have hit for 22.7k and your Ice Knife for at least 36.3k without it. BTW, what is AM? Arcane Missile? Do you mean "Magic Missiles"? The numbers can be deceptive because a lot of crits from multiple hits can get rolled into 1 large stack.
    This is something people often seem to miss, consecutive hits within a certain period of time of the same type (Normal, CA & Crit) will get a combined number regardless of which skill causes it. The Consecutive Hits counter for each type will keep counting as long as you deal damage that would be counted by it within a certain amount of time. If you have a steady stream of crits (very likely with a focused build) you'll see that number climb.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lone1egend wrote: »
    So I finally reached 60 today and have run a few Epic Dungeons. I have Entangling Force Tabbed, RoE, CoI, and Steal Time in Encounters, with Arcane Singularity and Ice Knife as my Daily, and Eye of the Storm and Storm Spell in my Class Features.

I would replace RoE with Chill Strike, and use it in the tab/mastery slot. You should notice a substantial damage increase. (RoE is good for bosses, and could replace CoI for those fights.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I would replace RoE with Chill Strike, and use it in the tab/mastery slot. You should notice a substantial damage increase. (RoE is good for bosses, and could replace CoI for those fights.)

You should get rid of Entangling Force altogether and use RoE for bosses. EF won't deal damage to targets that are immune to CC, so unless you need it to control some adds during the boss fight it's useless. Still put Chill Strike in tab though, for sure.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Mostly I need it to get some of the hard hitting adds off of me, yes. :p Good idea, though, that is another dps imcrease.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    kimosami8kimosami8 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    Great thread, really helped me get the ball rolling on my CW.

Im curious though, do you know any sort of resource where I can find stat weights? I'm having trouble figuring out when certain amounts of power outweigh other gains, especially the direct damage added from your orb.
  • Options
    lone1egendlone1egend Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    violated87 wrote: »
    Are you talking about "Tempest Magic"? If so, it's just a 10% damage boost. If you assume it's working as intended, your AM would have hit for 22.7k and your Ice Knife for at least 36.3k without it. BTW, what is AM? Arcane Missile? Do you mean "Magic Missiles"? The numbers can be deceptive because a lot of crits from multiple hits can get rolled into 1 large stack.

Yeah sorry, I was being kinda duh and was in a rush when writing this, so WoW spells kinda just popped into my head lol.
  • Options
    lone1egendlone1egend Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So standard set-up should be....

Trash
    Chill Strike (Tabbed), Entangling Force, CoI, Steal Time ?

Boss
    Chill Strike (Tabbed), RoE, Steal Time, ?????? ?

I've played around with a few different spells and not sure what would be the best optimized.
  • Options
    basement12basement12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    lone1egend wrote: »
    So standard set-up should be....

Trash
    Chill Strike (Tabbed), Entangling Force, CoI, Steal Time ?

Boss
    Chill Strike (Tabbed), RoE, Steal Time, ?????? ?

I've played around with a few different spells and not sure what would be the best optimized.

same question i have

what dailies are you using btw?
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Some random thoughts.

You have a feat that increases AP gain from spells. AP gain , to my knowledge (correct me if I am wrong), is based on whether or not the spell crits and a base value that each spell has plus modifiers (AP % gain and feats - never damage) .

If you tab Entangling Force (some would argue that is a waste) you will, in AoE situation, gain 5 stacks and 18% AP on average. Throw in Steal Time and detonate Shield during Singularity you will gain up to a total of 70% AP against three targets ( at least against dummies) .
  • Options
    gamerplavagamerplava Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been trying my hardest to map this out onto http://ricardo.ishibashi.com.br/neverwinter/control_wizard.html but I feel like things are missing and my daughter keeps fussing, is there any chance someone can do this and post the link here? Or if that site doesn't save the build can I get a screenshot or a few? Would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for sounding lazy but hard to find spare time to read through this and try to figure out what I'm missing and where while trying to take care of my very rowdy child.
  • Options
    zefsgrzefsgr Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    None uses Sudden Storm instead of CoI for dungeon AoE? It works for me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zefsgr wrote: »
    I use Sudden Storm or SotEA for generic dungeon AoE, CoI just doesn't impress me that much compared to those two for general AoE damage. Yes, CoI is quicker to cast, but the damage is slower.

Bosses are always a case by case basis. For some you'll want heavy single target damage, to wipe out either the boss or specific adds quickly, for others you'll want massive AoE to make everything go Kaboom! and Explode!
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zefsgr wrote: »

In the current state of the game Sudden Storm doesn't crit with its main bolts only the small physical hits (the ones that hit for like 20 damage?) and its AP generation is always less than Conduit of Ice. Sudden Storm gets phased out by most builds because its actual output is far lower than the later combinations available.

That and it's pretty **** unwieldy at times and god the short range!
  • Options
    mikemce101mikemce101 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    In the current state of the game Sudden Storm doesn't crit with its main bolts only the small physical hits (the ones that hit for like 20 damage?) and its AP generation is always less than Conduit of Ice. Sudden Storm gets phased out by most builds because its actual output is far lower than the later combinations available.

That and it's pretty **** unwieldy at times and god the short range!

agree completely i got 27 damage crits using sudden storm i mean i don't understand it is an ability so why can it not crit they need to look at this
  • Options
    rafnduderafndude Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So which enchants are you using Wep, Armor and are you using Power over Crit chance?

Awesome job on the guide like the way you explain stuff so ppl won't just copy everything.
  • Options
    uberoverpoweruberoverpower Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The difference between the blue (allure) stone and the cat is that the stone gives +power instead of +crit. The difference is really marginal and you can compensate with gear either way. It's mostly a matter of preference (down the road the cat will be more expensive since the value of ADs is climbing). What's a wizard without a proper familiar, though? ;)

I use Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm in dungeons and still believe EotS is essential. Evocation may give you more damage in very AoE heavy situations, but EotS helps to get bosses down faster.

So, the difference is only between Power and Crit?!

Can people confirm for sure that they share the same 100% of stats, the only dif being this between Power and Crit? Thus making the Cat and Ioun similar in power, depending only on what you're missing most?
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sudden storm is good for levelling because of how hard it hits base. helps with taking out trash your arcane empowered chill strike missed

but because it doesn't crit and this class' reliance on crit to do damage it should be replaced. conduit of ice does less damage if it doesnt crit, substantially more if it does. you should also have shield on your bar for knocking <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off ledges (and it's amazing, no-target-limit damage) steal time, ray of enfeeblement and chill strike the latter 3 you alternate as needed. ray of enfeeblement in the arcane mastery slot combined with one or two divine glows from cleric make a boss obscenely squishy.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Can people confirm for sure that they share the same 100% of stats, the only dif being this between Power and Crit? Thus making the Cat and Ioun similar in power, depending only on what you're missing most?

i can confirm that both give you 100% of stats.

i can also confirm that at the current ad to zen exchange rate on mindflayer, the stone is cheaper than the cat if you buy zen. stones on the ah are being listed at 2.2 million. 980k diamonds is just over 2600 zen.
  • Options
    ascawethascaweth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Ioun stone of Allure gives power,crit and recovery (with 14% bonus from charisma gives 175 each). Total sum is equal to Cat's crit+recovery. The biggest letdown of cat is that it uses belt items for 1 slot while allure uses icon, and imo icon is a lot better than belt. Ioun is also cheaper, but cat is most adorable ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ascaweth wrote: »
    Ioun stone of Allure gives power,crit and recovery (with 14% bonus from charisma gives 175 each). Total sum is equal to Cat's crit+recovery. The biggest letdown of cat is that it uses belt items for 1 slot while allure uses icon, and imo icon is a lot better than belt. Ioun is also cheaper, but cat is most adorable ;)

i have a devoted cleric. the stats on my t2 offhand are the same as my t2 belt. both have offensive slots.

the issue with either pet is you are going to have to mix up your stats a lot in either case, as both pets will have you hit deep dr of recovery (at 3k), crit (at 2k) and any other stat except power.
  • Options
    sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This guy explains the asymptotic nature of pwer/crit/Arp/rec. Though recovery seems to have the highest threshold (i.e. point efficiency), I still like my critical renegade wizard verses bosses and pvp. I really hate that crit has such a low soft cap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR4KdpzlbqU
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    draxcoldheartdraxcoldheart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just wanted some opinions regarding the following feats

Prestidigitation
    You and your allies gain 1/2/3% increased Stat Ratings.
    So does that mean it is like adding 1 for rank 1 or 3 for rank 3 to all stats for everyone in the party?

Learned Spellcaster
    Increase the amount of bonus damage Intelligence gives you by 1/2/3/4/5%/
    So this is just like adding a 1 to 5 to Intelligence for just the wizard?

Focused Wizardry

Your area effect powers deal 3/6/9% more damage when they only strike a single target
    So far the Control wizard master Bug reports post says that Conduit of Ice, Icy Terrain, Sudden Storm and Arcane Singularity are not affected by this feat. So what spells ARE affected be this feat?

I’m asking because I want to know out of these three feats where should I put the last of my points before I hit Paragon Feats.
  • Options
    rafnduderafndude Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Prestidigitation
    So does that mean it is like adding 1 for rank 1 or 3 for rank 3 to all stats for everyone in the party?

Learned Spellcaster

I’m asking because I want to know out of these three feats where should I put the last of my points before I hit Paragon Feats.

well as far as i can tell the numbers are in % and no plain numbers.
    AKA Learned Spellcaster gives to a bonus to dmg gained from Intelligence
    Ex:
    i have some like 27 Int that gives me a 16% boost in dmg.
    Learned Spellcaster can give you A 16+(1/2/3/4/5%) or B 16*(1,01/1,02/1,03/1,04/1,05%)
    In which case option A gives to a 5% dmg boost which could be good.
    But i think option B is the real thing atm.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Prestidigitation
    Stat Ratings are Power, Crit, Recovery, etc.

If you have 500 Power and then add 3 points to Pre, you'll gain a bonus of 15 Power.
    Learned Spellcaster
    It's +1-5% extra damage.
  • Options
    draxcoldheartdraxcoldheart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stat Ratings are Power, Crit, Recovery, etc.

If you have 500 Power and then add 3 points to Pre, you'll gain a bonus of 15 Power.

It's +1-5% extra damage.

Ok i thought that Prestidigitation added to the Ability Scores and not the ratings because when you go to the character screen they are called ratings and not stats 0_o.

I might go Learned Spellcaster then since Focused Wizardry only works on a very few spells.

The information was pulled from the wiki.

Oh wait now that i look at Prestidigitation it says Stat Ratings which means ratings. how could i miss that *facepalm*
  • Options
    thirstmutilatorrthirstmutilatorr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An important note (May, 11th): There is currently a bug with the Tiefling's Bloodhunt racial and the Tempest Magic feat (more damage when the target is below 30%). These don't work together. While this bug is around, the humans are the better choice. You need to decide if you want what is arguably "best" now, or if you count on the bug getting fixed soon, at which point the Tiefling marginally takes the lead. It's up to you.

Too bad the Tiefling isn't a cash shop race. That would have prompted them to fix this bug asap. I am guessing it never gets fixed, but I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    kujatridarkkujatridark Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm curious about what stats one should typically focus on while leveling.

I've been going Power and Recovery, but perhaps Power and Crit would be better for leveling since Recovery seems to do only a little for cooldowns and AP Gains in low amounts.
  • Options
    grimaldus90grimaldus90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So with the bug for Tiefling's and tempest magic, whats the best place to put those extra 5 feats atm? I was thinking snap freeze for tabbed chill strike but also heard that was bugged, anyone know?
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vespirka wrote: »
    why dont you start from stealtime, so you have 5 stacks of arcane mastery immediately

my armor set bonus gives my 900 extra recovery for 6 seconds from hitting a target at 75% health or higher..usually if I wait to get close enough to cast steal time the rogue has them well below 75%. So chillburst at range allows for steal time when i get there to fill up my action points.
  • Options
    professore12professore12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone noticed that magic missile does more and more damage the more you hit the same target?

I put this as a bug/glitch with phantasmal destruction (15% crit severity for 6 sec when you have combat advantage) combined with eye of the storm (100% crit chance for 8 sec), nightmare wizardry (20% chance for combat advantage on crit for 4 sec) and probably tempest magic (10% more dmg when target blow 30% hp). I think the severity feat stacks with itself everytime nightmare wizardry procs, or at least it feels like that.

But regardless only renegade CWs get acces to this combo and you can test it, highest I had so far was 3x 34k crit with magic missile 3rd hit with 7k gs.
This discussion has been closed.