test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Renegade Control Wizard -- Stats, Feats and Powers (oh my!)

Comments

• Options
    w2000w2000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay, after reading the notes for the upcoming balancing patch, this build will need some tweaks (like all builds for all classes). It is fine for the current live version of the game, and they announced a free respec token for when the patch is released.

I'll delay my thoughts on stats until then as well.

I would like to thank you for your effort of testing the CW feats and powers
    The best part is you update your build if there is any class balance / class update.

SALUTE TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    serpentussserpentuss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited June 2013
    Renegade path is done with the nerf...
  • Options
    drgnmstr4479drgnmstr4479 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you provide some more info on stats like power and such? I'm tired of the game telling me something is "recommended" yet when I swap to it I feel like I don't do as well as I was before. What things should we be shooting for? Armor pen? power? recovery? life steal? defense? something else? Really like this information you provide. Please keep up the wonderful work. it is appreciated.
  • Options
    damedulocdameduloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Can you provide some more info on stats like power and such? I'm tired of the game telling me something is "recommended" yet when I swap to it I feel like I don't do as well as I was before. What things should we be shooting for? Armor pen? power? recovery? life steal? defense? something else? Really like this information you provide. Please keep up the wonderful work. it is appreciated.
    "Recommended" can be pretty much a lie half the time. While some of the recommended items will bump up your GS, it doesn't necessarily put points in areas that you want to focus on. I don't care too much about regeneration, deflection, or apen (yet). What I do care about are crit/power/recovery. Defense is nice, but unless an item includes at least one other of the items I'm really looking for, I couldn't care less (for now).

So, you can have a huge GS by using recommended items...but that may sometimes lessen your effectiveness with damage/control.

Item customization for most of the classes seems a bit stupid, to be honest. It's like Stevie Wonder picked random cards for developers, and they used those to stat class items.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dameduloc wrote: »
    I don't care too much about regeneration, deflection, or apen (yet). What I do care about are crit/power/recovery....

Up to 2000 or so Apen is by far better than Power, and IMO even Crit.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    damedulocdameduloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    Up to 2000 or so Apen is by far better than Power, and IMO even Crit.

That's why i said for now after apen:)
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Ok..question..does focused Wizardry and Wizards wrath maxed out add 15% total increase in damage on AOE spells?
  • Options
    bolondronbolondron Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While being very happy with the old version of this build (with area-damage feats) damage-wise, I just spent the 150k AD to respec into the new version (without area damage feats).

My first impression after running two dungeons with the new setup is a pretty significant dropoff in dps. After thinking about it this is probably because my main DPSer was Chill strike and the feats do work with that one.

It seems to be a trade-off between more dps or faster recovery for more Singularities. My guild mates want more singularities, I in all honestly want more damagae :\ but I guess I'll stay with the 2.0 more-action-point build at least until we get our free respecs and imivo gives more opinions on the new balance changes.
  • Options
    itastiezitastiez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Okay, after reading the notes for the upcoming balancing patch, this build will need some tweaks (like all builds for all classes). It is fine for the current live version of the game, and they announced a free respec token for when the patch is released.

I'll delay my thoughts on stats until then as well.

Thank you very much for putting effort on this!! I was just wondering if the update for this build after the balance patch will be an edit on this post or an entirely new post?

P.S. respec-ed with the free one they gave us and waiting on your input!!:D
  • Options
    kievkiev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Waiting anxiously for an update regarding the last patch :)
  • Options
    matteon83matteon83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does anyone have post patch impressions about renegade?
  • Options
    meowvalentmeowvalent Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    matteon83 wrote: »

From what I noticed last night is that I don't hit as hard on some spells, but everything seems to still work quite well. I just hit level 60 though, and don't have the greatest gear, but did beat my group in a dungeon by about 1.5mil damage last night. I will be trying some new ones today to see what happens. (Still confused how the purple geared control wizard didn't do more damage than me)
  • Options
    bajic81bajic81 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    matteon83 wrote: »

I do. They nerfed us so much... ST, RoE, reaper, masterful arcane... all half way down
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I still do just fine in dungeons and melt faces in PVP as pure Renegade. The biggest problem right now is we sometimes grant Nightmare Wizardry onto ourselves, giving our opponents combat advantage against us.
  • Options
    daemonstheredaemonsthere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    in my opinion, this build is dead until they fix Nightmare wizardy and some other serious buggs :<
  • Options
    deviltyphoon2deviltyphoon2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Imivo will update it. Don't worry
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Will take a bit! With the current state of the feats, Renegade doesn't work well and I'm hoping for a fix soon (and really need to see if it is happening before I try to work around the issues). More on this soon!
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Will take a bit! With the current state of the feats, Renegade doesn't work well and I'm hoping for a fix soon (and really need to see if it is happening before I try to work around the issues). More on this soon!

Take your time. don't worry. I have a problem. You wrote in Open Post. "As a Renegade Wizard you like crits" ok? But the problem is....the 95% of the items i find during my leveling through the maps continue to have less crit point than the old one...

Game_Client_2013_06_15_20_37_12_76.jpg

Game_Client_2013_06_15_20_37_21_01.jpg

Game_Client_2013_06_15_20_37_24_57.jpg

Game_Client_2013_06_15_20_37_30_14.jpg

Ehm...what should i do? Keep my current item or use the new one??? If i use new items i will loose 709 Critical Strike!
  • Options
    bradhpbradhp Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Take your time. don't worry. I have a problem. You wrote in Open Post. "As a Renegade Wizard you like crits" ok? But the problem is....the 95% of the items i find during my leveling through the maps continue to have less crit point than the old one...

Ehm...what should i do? Keep my current item or use the new one??? If i use new items i will loose 709 Critical Strike!

The gear in the game is just screwed up. At level 60 I still have some gear equipped from the 30's and 40's because I'd lose major amounts of either crit or power changing to some of the 50-60 gear I've found.
  • Options
    alyon84alyon84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    just a quest.. I'm in trouble playing with the new balance patch.. have you some tip for me? my damage is very low at this time and lots of mages have respect in thaumaturge but I'm still thinking that renegade could be a good paragon.. let me know what you think.. ty
  • Options
    atomicpedoatomicpedo Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    May I ask what should be the gear stat priority while I'm leveling up? Is it crit or power?
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    atomicpedo wrote: »
    May I ask what should be the gear stat priority while I'm leveling up? Is it crit or power?

Crit far more important while levelling. You will decimate in pve and pvp with decent crit.

You can regear and respec, if necessary, at 60.
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I used to be top dps and great at CC..I'm in full magelord..my dailies work fine but I get absolutely no respect dps wise now..must i go all ice and respec new feats now and relearn this class?
  • Options
    atomicpedoatomicpedo Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Crit far more important while levelling. You will decimate in pve and pvp with decent crit.

You can regear and respec, if necessary, at 60.

What's the second priority? Crit > Power > ? > ? > ?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Imivo don't update his Build.... :(
  • Options
    almightybizzoalmightybizzo Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    davc123 wrote: »
    Icy Rays: More freezy stuff. I have no experience with this spell and have never used it. It may be great and I am in the dark, in which case someone will post and point out that I'm totally missing one of the best spells! I put zero points in it.

what you mean we should use this?

2yn5h90.png
    how you spend 20points if you dont get Arcana Presence and Chilling Presence ?

I was wondering the same thing. This is my first time respec-ing a char and I'm sitting here looking at 15 points spent and nowhere else to spend the rest because I can't get to the next level (available at 20 points). So yeah I'd like to know what others are doing to proceed.
    <3 Aja / Nepenthe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Just by looking at that pic, you need to spend 5 points, and you can't have more than 2 points in anything, so...

Repel - 2 (maxing this to 3 is a good idea and VERY helpful in certain situations)
    Oppressive Force - 2 (I have this, but don't use it, though I do see it used a lot in PvP)
    Ray of Frost - 1 additional point.

5 points spent, none wasted in Arcane/Chilling Presence.
  • Options
    cystacysta Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I love this build, though I changed a little bit to fit my taste.
    I use Maelstorm, Singularity, Shards of..., Sudden Storm, Seal Time and Ray of Enfeelbement (orwhat) as my special (double use, 2 times the damage+debuff? hellyeah!)
    As for features? Storm Spell and Eye of The Storm OR Evocation (I can't decide so I pick this one time, that another time)
    Simply opening with a shard on the ads the tank agro can kill them outright, but seal of time afterwards will ensure it.
    The stronger ones will survive, but TRs usually pick these as their food, a ray to help them (cause we're nice too) then Magic Missiles will do the trick.
    As for trouble?
    Too much strong guys attacking you at once because of the insane amount of AoEs?
    No problem, the answer is: MOAR AOES!
    A Maelstorm can pretty much throw every single mob meleeing me to one square meter (yes, this is the reason people like it, not for its damage), then a Seal Time (cause we don't want 4-8 mobs running away:D), a Sudden Storm and finishing them off with a Shards... So much damage I outDPS even TRs! (yeah, they don't like it but who cares?)
    Also, There's a feat for Storm Pillar (2nd At-Will I use) which gives 10% damage boost for 6 secs if you hit at least 2 targets with it (at least halfway charged). This too can be devastating against squishy ads in one place, of course it requires more than one shot. Still, for groups, it deals more damage than Magic Missiles (need I say more?)

Thank you for the Guide, it really helped me!
  • Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Anyone know if this ever got fixed?

"There is currently a bug with the Tiefling's Bloodhunt racial and the Tempest Magic feat (more damage when the target is below 30%). These don't work together. While this bug is around, the humans are the better choice. You need to decide if you want what is arguably "best" now, or if you count on the bug getting fixed soon, at which point the Tiefling marginally takes the lead. It's up to you. Alternatively, you can choose a different feat instead of Tempest Magic, if you are a Tiefling, see the Feats section for details."
  • Options
    sumiazsumiaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Imivo could you explain more clearly how Controlling Action feat works ? how can you make so that you benefit of the 10% ap gain ? Ty in advice.
This discussion has been closed.