test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Renegade Control Wizard -- Stats, Feats and Powers (oh my!)

Comments

• Options
    seybaa1201seybaa1201 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    would you lean heavily towards power when deciding on gear or a mix of power/crit or power/crit/recovery?
  • Options
    zelkovahzelkovah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    The problem is that there is no good way to really make good, somewhat relevant comparisons. Not only does every respeccing require a token, we also have no way of parsing the combat logs. I had read that there was a NW module for ACT, but I just looked and didn't see one. There's the dummy, but other than that? No two runs are the same.

I looked a little deeper and found this video explaining where to get the plugin and how to install it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rll-MpEAX-E
  • Options
    edurna1edurna1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone thought about investing 5 points in Bitter Cold from the Oppressor tree? 5% damage buff for 6 seconds after you chill a target.

I know Tempest Magic is bugged with my Tiefling racial, so I am looking into either putting 5 points into Bitter Cold, Critical Power or just sticking with Tempest Magic and hope it gets fixed soon. I have been using Critical Power but have seen reports of it being a mediocre investment.
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    edurna1 wrote: »
    I know Tempest Magic is bugged with my Tiefling racial, so I am looking into either putting 5 points into Bitter Cold, Critical Power or just sticking with Tempest Magic and hope it gets fixed soon.

Considering the TM + Bloodhunt bug was reported in closed beta, and still isn't fixed - well, I wouldn't hold your breath. PWI is too busy fixing the Zen shop with pretty new items to worry about minor things like a single racial not working.

Lol they still haven't fixed Arcane Flux incorrectly interacting with a few Class Features to allow us to instantly kill any mob or player in the game. I stopped playing my CW after I discovered I could pretty much farm ECN.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zelkovah wrote: »
    I looked a little deeper and found this video explaining where to get the plugin and how to install it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rll-MpEAX-E

Very awesome. Thank you!
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    divinedingdivineding Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how would u choose learned spellcaster/ focus wizardry and predistigation if you are non-human? we do not want to look at this from a purely human perspective because they ar he only race who has the chance to spec mor then the usual race can. Lets look at it generally. How would u put the pts in at least for the heroic part of the tree?
  • Options
    twisterdennytwisterdenny Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can someone Link me the Feats from Kripparian?
  • Options
    galidassgalidass Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am just wondering, does this spec work great for controlling mobs? I really need a spec that utilize action point regeneration so I can spam the Singularity spell. As far as I can see, you guy only care about doing insane amount of damage. Me on the other hand want to control and kill adds.
    Pay to win? LOL! Get your facts straight, this game got surveys. Click on Charge Zen, and choose Earn Zen before you complain about 6$ respec, unless you can't do them ofc.
  • Options
    violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I ran ACT during the weekend on about 10 Pirate runs, 4-5 Spider runs, and 2 Spellplague runs (And some various other smaller samples), and Chill Strike was consistently my top source of damage. Depending on group comp and dungeon, Magic Missile and Ray were usually next (in that order), followed by Steal Time and finally Conduit of Ice. Also, Storm Spell was pretty consistently 15-16% of my total damage and normally 3rd (between MM and Ray). In some runs with real heavy AOE (like Pirate King) I swapped in CoI for Shield and Shield push was rivaling Chill Strike (surpassed it in some runs).

As for feats, I picked up 3/3 Focused Wizardry again on the basis that at the very least Chill Strike and Steal Time were accounting for 35-40% of my total damage in a given run, and buffing that 35-40% by 3% is better than buffing 100% of my damage by 1%. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to affect CoI (much like Evocation), but if that is ever fixed it will definitely be the best option in that grouping. With Shield Push over CoI, well over 50% of my damage comes from AOE spells that Focused Wizardry affects.

I put the last 2 points into Learned Spellcasting and I can confirm its essentially adding a flat 1% damage boost (was more like 1.1% when I was checking Chill Strikes tooltip increases), and it affected everything - including CoI. Prestidigitation is certainly better for the entire group, but I wanted to see for myself how Learned Spellcaster was functioning.
  • Options
    tyrandeistyrandeis Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you guys use storm spell or evocation in dungeons?
  • Options
    awakenlolawakenlol Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What are you guys enchanting for mainly? I find a lot of the gear doesn't have crit on it so im thinking of focusing on enchanting for crit. Im trying to keep it around ~30% unbuffed.
    tyrandeis wrote: »
    Do you guys use storm spell or evocation in dungeons?

I use storm spell a lot, looks like violated87's post on the previous page confirms that it is worthwhile. Im using eye of the storm now as well but I might swap it with evocation soon.
  • Options
    edurna1edurna1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm going Power > Crit > Recovery > Armor Pen

I keep hearing people mention a soft cap of 3000 crit rating. Even with stacking Power gems in offense, I'm at 2400 crit and will probably reach 3k with a few more well itemized T2 pieces.

I use Evocation since it works correctly with Shield + Steal Time, which are my primary action point contributers/damage spells.
  • Options
    zerilanzerilan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this primarily a PvE spec, or would it function fine in PvP as well?
  • Options
    basement12basement12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    so cat is the way to go? was debating cat or ioun stone of allure
  • Options
    startedloststartedlost Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you only get "the cat" (which I believe you mean the panther companion) from the $200 pack? It sounds very strong, but I can't seem to find it independent of the large founder's set. Thanks.

I asked this hear because you recommend it as the companion in your build, which I have found very useful.
  • Options
    jazzllannjazzllann Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe it is the cat sold by the diamond vendor
  • Options
    txhawktxhawk Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They definitely mean the cat bought for AD at the in-game vendor. It acts just like the ioun stone - augmenting your stats but not fighting itself.

The stats are different, however.
    Waiting for paladins...
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The difference between the blue (allure) stone and the cat is that the stone gives +power instead of +crit. The difference is really marginal and you can compensate with gear either way. It's mostly a matter of preference (down the road the cat will be more expensive since the value of ADs is climbing). What's a wizard without a proper familiar, though? ;)

I use Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm in dungeons and still believe EotS is essential. Evocation may give you more damage in very AoE heavy situations, but EotS helps to get bosses down faster.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The difference between the blue (allure) stone and the cat is that the stone gives +power instead of +crit. The difference is really marginal and you can compensate with gear either way. It's mostly a matter of preference (down the road the cat will be more expensive since the value of ADs is climbing). What's a wizard without a proper familiar, though? ;)

I use Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm in dungeons and still believe EotS is essential. Evocation may give you more damage in very AoE heavy situations, but EotS helps to get bosses down faster.

What powers do you use in dungeons imivo? I'm assuming Tabbed Chill Strike, Steal Time, Conduit of Ice and Ray of Enfeeblement.

I'm stuck between Conduit of Ice and Shield for the last encounter spot.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tyrandeis wrote: »
    What powers do you use in dungeons imivo? I'm assuming Tabbed Chill Strike, Steal Time, Conduit of Ice and Ray of Enfeeblement. I'm stuck between Conduit of Ice and Shield for the last encounter spot.

I use tabbed Chill Strike, Steal Time and Entangling Force as my basic PvE setup. I always have those in the bar. The 4th Encounter power is more flexible for me. I use Enfeebling Ray for some bosses, Shield if I need an emergency knockback (this is rare and more for solo PvE) or CoI for the extra AoE. I have been experimenting with SotEA lately, but I *still* don't really like it! I do see plenty of folks using it, however.

My dailies are Arcane Singularity and Ice Knife, class features are almost always Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm, though I swap in Evocation for AoE heavy places (that is, where AoE matters).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Entangling Force is great when it works but in dungeons I feel like it's mostly useless since it doesn't work on bosses, that's why I keep Enfeebling on the bar most of the time rather than Entangling.
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I use tabbed Chill Strike, Steal Time and Entangling Force as my basic PvE setup. I always have those in the bar. The 4th Encounter power is more flexible for me. I use Enfeebling Ray for some bosses, Shield if I need an emergency knockback (this is rare and more for solo PvE) or CoI for the extra AoE. I have been experimenting with SotEA lately, but I *still* don't really like it! I do see plenty of folks using it, however.

My dailies are Arcane Singularity and Ice Knife, class features are almost always Storm Spell and Eye of the Storm, though I swap in Evocation for AoE heavy places (that is, where AoE matters).

It's kind of sad to see none of you running Maelstrom of Chaos, after all, it is the one of the few things we have that can interrupt/stun things that are immune to most if not all our CCs. Always with the DPS :(
  • Options
    isaiahlee1972isaiahlee1972 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    edurna1 wrote: »
    I know Tempest Magic is bugged with my Tiefling racial, so I am looking into either putting 5 points into Bitter Cold, Critical Power or just sticking with Tempest Magic and hope it gets fixed soon.

Well if these amazing patch notes are any indication, they should fix our racial not stacking with Tempest Magic fairly soon(1).

Did anyone else actually sigh upon seeing those? They could have at least fixed some broken class features or all the damage exploits. OR given the GWF an exploit of some kind, since that is currently the only class that doesn't have one.

Seriously, I quit the CW because I felt guilty taking advantage of the set damage exploit, and rolled a GF.... Only to find out that my little Dwarf powerhouse has an even easier and more reliable damage exploit. I can pretty much solo any instance I **** well please.
    I would re-roll again, but why bother? If they don't want to fix these, I will just keep getting mah free epicz and selling them off.

(1) - "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Perfect World and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Perfect World does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Perfect World will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
  • Options
    killingmeloudlykillingmeloudly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have read through alot of this thread and I still cant decide on Tempest Magic, Snap Freeze or Critical power for my last 5 pts. I am tiefling and it looks like the tempest magic bug will be fixed about the same time that the game closes its doors that just doesnt seem worth it. (Plus I will just respec when it is fixed) so Snap Freeze or Critical power?
  • Options
    luxtmluxtm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Reading the updates you posted on May 9th about wanting to swap out CoI for SotEA. I've been considering the same thing ever since I respecced but there are two things that I can't ignore with those abilities.

SotEA can't crit and CoI is a powerhouse for generating AP.

As soon as I swap out CoI, suddenly I don't have a Singularity every pack. So far I can only see SotEA as a mediocre CC ability and I swap it in for fights where I need the CC but can't get enough AP from CoI for the Singularity.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Definitely use Shield. The damage it does is ridiculous and the knock back can be countered with Singularity.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    It's kind of sad to see none of you running Maelstrom of Chaos, after all, it is the one of the few things we have that can interrupt/stun things that are immune to most if not all our CCs. Always with the DPS :(

For me it's mostly a matter of what's needed. In most dungeons I have done I felt that even Entangling Force is often not actually needed. I do a lot of CC with Steal Team too. If I felt there are situations where I needed even more CC, I would focus more on control and less on damage. But as it stands right now, with the content we have, damage seems to be the "cure all". (Really true for all classes at the moment.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of control, I'm currently leveling a second wizard to get a feel for the oppressor tree. It's mostly focused on control and survival, and aimed at either CC in groups or comfortable solo foundry questing. Might write down my experiences with that when she's a little bigger. It appears I really only fully enjoy wizards in the game. :)
  • Options
    lone1egendlone1egend Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I finally reached 60 today and have run a few Epic Dungeons. I have Entangling Force Tabbed, RoE, CoI, and Steal Time in Encounters, with Arcane Singularity and Ice Knife as my Daily, and Eye of the Storm and Storm Spell in my Class Features.

I either absolutely crush Damage/Kills or am extremely competitive with Rogues (equally or better geared Rogues beat me in Damage, but that's how it should be).

My only question/comment is "Are we sure Nether Tempest isn't working with Tieflings or have they fixed it?" I resppec at around 50 and when I redid my talents I put my last 5 points (56-60) into Nether Tempest and I noticed a huge spike in damage when mobs get low. AM hitting upwards of 25k and Ice Knife hitting for over 40k. OR is that normal for starting Tier 1 Epic Dungeons?
  • Options
    violated87violated87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lone1egend wrote: »
    So I finally reached 60 today and have run a few Epic Dungeons. I have Entangling Force Tabbed, RoE, CoI, and Steal Time in Encounters, with Arcane Singularity and Ice Knife as my Daily, and Eye of the Storm and Storm Spell in my Class Features.

I either absolutely crush Damage/Kills or am extremely competitive with Rogues (equally or better geared Rogues beat me in Damage, but that's how it should be).

My only question/comment is "Are we sure Nether Tempest isn't working with Tieflings or have they fixed it?" I resppec at around 50 and when I redid my talents I put my last 5 points (56-60) into Nether Tempest and I noticed a huge spike in damage when mobs get low. AM hitting upwards of 25k and Ice Knife hitting for over 40k. OR is that normal for starting Tier 1 Epic Dungeons?

Are you talking about "Tempest Magic"? If so, it's just a 10% damage boost. If you assume it's working as intended, your AM would have hit for 22.7k and your Ice Knife for at least 36.3k without it. BTW, what is AM? Arcane Missile? Do you mean "Magic Missiles"? The numbers can be deceptive because a lot of crits from multiple hits can get rolled into 1 large stack.
This discussion has been closed.