test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How PerfectWorld killed this game for me

Comments

• Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sucks that your account got hacked. The fact that you kept making new tickets is odd to me but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that there was not a better way to handle it. If they would give me 2500 Zen for a level 48 character I would be very happy. The customer service may have been slow, but IMO it is hardly "appalling".

Side note, they really, REALLY, need to implement authentication as an option for the account security. Blizzard and Bioware both offer this option for $6.

http://us.blizzard.com/store/search.xml?q=authenticator

http://www.swtor.com/info/security-key

Cryptic, get on this ASAP!
  • Options
    vlaknhavlaknha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am sorry you have to experience this. But PW is known for their bad customer service and lack of support. That is exactly why I just don't feel like spending my money in their game. Good Luck in whatever way you decide to go.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    What do customers deserve who download trojans, click on suspicious links, open email attachments from unknown sources, don't follow basic security principles and essentially do the equivalents of leaving their car unlocked, their house door wide open while they are out of town and putting their wallet on a public bench while walking around the block

I almost always leave my car unlocked. Why? Because you still have to be a thief to take it, if I left it running, you'd still have to be a thief to take it. Now about a wide open door on a house while out of town... haven't seen that one. Wallets are much easier to take unnoticed, your still a thief but much easier to get a way with, so the temptation would be there for a lot more people vs people who would steal a car. I also have insurance on said car. Come take it, they'll get you and I'll get a replacement, no sweat off my back. Ok now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

As for online games... Yes, I can't say it enough, you need to have a unique password for each online game. GET A PASSWORD generation program, run don't walk. Stop being lazy if you are using the same password over and over for online games. It's gonna get you someday. Oh yes, it will!

Also you played the role of the PW enabler. We know that not all security issues are on the players side and again having that second level of authentication should be a must. If nothing more than protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vlaknha wrote: »
    I am sorry you have to experience this. But PW is known for their bad customer service and lack of support.

They restored everything he paid for and gave him, on top of that, $25 for a level 48 character, even though they are not responsible for the actual issue (other than being unable to restore the character, but we don't know why -- and they did give compensation for that). To me, that is pretty good customer support.

As Argantis wrote, what's needed is an authenticator, because many people treat their computer like a toaster.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    sick0o0o0sick0o0o0 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm very glad i have not spent money on this game. All i see is disgusting posts about how bad the support service and game itself is. It actually makes me sick to think people support developers such as these. All they care about is ****ing everybody over and squeezing as much money out of there players as possible but in all the wrong ways.

This game is stupidly over priced for the content that you get and PerfectWorld are really going the wrong way about things. I can't see this company lasting much longer and i can't see this game going very far given the way they are handling things. You will always get your wealthy kids who can afford to get daddies bank card and drop a few hundred on random **** in game but that type of business model is not sustainable. They need to take pointers from some other F2P games out there that actually know wtf they are doing.
  • Options
    flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    Side note, they really, REALLY, need to implement authentication as an option for the account security. Blizzard and Bioware both offer this option for $6.

FWIW, EQ2 has this as well ... it's something PW should definitely look into.

Also, IIRC the $6 is for shipping ... the device itself is otherwise "free."
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    what's needed is an authenticator, because many people treat their computer like a toaster.

Exactly, you have to understand your customer and what they do. They expect flawless execution and they expect convenience. You, the company have to figure out how to deliver and protect that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sick0o0o0 wrote: »
    I'm very glad i have not spent money on this game.

This game is stupidly over priced for the content that you get

Hasn't spent money on the game. Complains that what he's gotten -- or what he hasn't even bought -- is stupidly over-priced.

/classicfirstworldissues
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They restored everything he paid for and gave him, on top of that, $25 for a level 48 character, even though they are not responsible for the actual issue (other than being unable to restore the character, but we don't know why -- and they did give compensation for that). To me, that is pretty good customer support.

As Argantis wrote, what's needed is an authenticator, because many people treat their computer like a toaster.

They gave him a 25 dollar gift voucher to spend on their cash shop tat... because someone from customer service... deleted his character AFTER he had re-secured the account... setting him back to square one with no reason given.

I do admire your positivity imivo, so please don't misunderstand. But there are times when I question just how far you're willing to go with it. His post paints a picture of complete incompetence on their part.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    Hasn't spent money on the game. Complains that what he's gotten -- or what he hasn't even bought -- is stupidly over-priced.

/classicfirstworldissues

Reads forum post. Completely misses the point and makes what can only be described as the WORST bad rationalization in the history of attempted straw man arguments. In an attempt to appeal to ridicule.

<insert "are you a wizard" meme here>
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I almost always leave my car unlocked. Why? Because you still have to be a thief to take it, if I left it running, you'd still have to be a thief to take it.

The person who hacked his computer or sent him the trojan/whatever is a criminal, too. Did he contact the authorities? In most countries this kind of stuff is illegal, just like taking your car if you leave it unlocked. (But the insurance company will still hold you responsible.) Of course, no one ever does that, and instead expects the vendor to fix the problem. Would you go to your car dealer if someone stole your car?
    Also you played the role of the PW enabler. We know that not all security issues are on the players side and again having that second level of authentication should be a must. If nothing more than protecting us from ourselves.

I only provided a different view because everyone just jumped on the "PWE is evil!" bandwagon without at all considering how this situation started and who is responsible for it. Accountability, and how people always and almost habitually dodge it, is one of my pet peeves.

I am also, admittedly, very familiar with what it is like to be on the receiving end (dealing with customers). I know nothing of PWE's CSR department or what their procedures are, but I do know customers. :) I do maintain that restoring everything he paid for AND giving him $25 for a level 48 character is not evidence of poor customer service, but the opposite. I worked for places who would never have done it (my current employer does, but I'm running the CSR side of that company and I understand the importance of swallowing one's pride and kissing butt -- but this is why here, at least, I can just voice my views freely).

I agree that an authenticator is necessary and highly recommended. No argument from me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    spyke2009 wrote: »
    Completely misses the point

It's easy to miss a point that doesn't actually exist.
    Fare you well
    Nothing to tell
  • Options
    majeurevismajeurevis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    It sucks that your account got hacked. The fact that you kept making new tickets is odd to me but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt that there was not a better way to handle it. If they would give me 2500 Zen for a level 48 character I would be very happy. The customer service may have been slow, but IMO it is hardly "appalling".

http://us.blizzard.com/store/search.xml?q=authenticator

http://www.swtor.com/info/security-key

Cryptic, get on this ASAP!

I agree with this. They pretty much just bought your character for $25. Like you said, NW is quick leveling. You'll have a 60 TR in no time with a lot more available to them because of all that extra Zen. Yeah, it really does suck your character got deleted (like my 40 CW after BW3) but you came out ahead, essentially.
    Artificer.jpg

Member of the Bring Gith and Artificers to Neverwinter Party.
  • Options
    tuckerbeartuckerbear Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty typical Perfect world right there...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ... because someone from customer service... deleted his character AFTER he had re-secured the account... setting him back to square one with no reason given.

Do we know this or do we assume it?

I just re-read the original post and all I see is that the customer, who I would say is likely to have been hacked, claimed that his account was "secure" (it wasn't before, that is why stuff disappeared). Why would customer support delete the character? Is it not more likely that whoever hacked him deleted the character? That is what account thieves did in WoW, too (and often created spam-posting characters).

This sounds more likely to me than customer support deleting the character. I see no logical reason why they would do that. That is just an assumption made, and everyone takes it as a fact and goes off the deep end. My guess is that the account thief deleted the character after stripping it off everything. (Why they can't restore deleted characters, I don't know.)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

/classicfirstworldissues

[ Insert standard reply here ]

I wasn't expecting that really. However my point being that i do spend some amounts of money on f2p games but could not justify the prices on this game in particular.. i guess my opinion does not stand and freedom of speech is condemned by trolls like you.

Shall we do a #TAG to make your comment more cute?
  • Options
    adevlin1991adevlin1991 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    You got 25 EUR worth of zen as compensation for your troubles. It will take you 30minutes to get a full set of level appropriate greens by killing some mobs so I don't see why you are moaning so much about losing the low level gear. I would happily trade my entire almost BiS gear set for 2500zen.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I just re-read the original post and all I see is that the customer, who I would say is likely to have been hacked, claimed that his account was "secure" (it wasn't before, that is why stuff disappeared). Why would customer support delete the character? Is it not more likely that whoever hacked him deleted the character? That is what account thieves did in WoW, too (and often created spam-posting characters).

This sounds more likely to me than customer support deleting the character. I see no logical reason why they would do that. That is just an assumption made, and everyone takes it as a fact and goes off the deep end. My guess is that the account thief deleted the character after stripping it off everything. (Why they can't restore deleted characters, I don't know.)

I can only go on his claim, which is that he had his character before his account was shut down by Cryptic themselves, and after being given the run around, that character was gone. Even if it wasn't cryptic at fault (and it's wholly possible they weren't) then he's still had enough of a bad experience with the customer service as is, to want to walk away from the game. The deletion is one of the biggest issues in his post, but by far not the only one.

And as you asked, and it's a very valid and important question, why CAN'T they restore a character deleted maliciously?

In your opinion...
  • Options
    eidamaeidama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

/classicfirstworldissues

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm_zps0bf21641.png

Troll harder...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

> http://mopp4.net/ <
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Reads forum post. Completely misses the point and makes what can only be described as the WORST bad rationalization in the history of attempted straw man arguments. In an attempt to appeal to ridicule.

<insert "are you a wizard" meme here>

well said. :)
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FWIW, EQ2 has this as well ... it's something PW should definitely look into.

Also, IIRC the $6 is for shipping ... the device itself is otherwise "free."

Authenticator for your phone should be free though. They want people to use those.
  • Options
    mohannmohann Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Authenticator for your phone should be free though.

PWE and "free" ? LOL.
  • Options
    darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

im dying of laughter, thanks for that xD
  • Options
    darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mohann wrote: »
    PWE and "free" ? LOL.

dey shud chrage ovur 9000zen 4 it.

No but seriously, they should have authenticator and im shocked they dont.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The person who hacked his computer or sent him the trojan/whatever is a criminal, too. Did he contact the authorities? In most countries this kind of stuff is illegal, just like taking your car if you leave it unlocked. (But the insurance company will still hold you responsible.) Of course, no one ever does that, and instead expects the vendor to fix the problem.

1. Who do I call for getting malware? The local police, first it would take them 30 minutes to understand what I was saying, then they would laugh at me. FBI? Really? So you are going to argue the side that we shouldn't contact PW for an account/security breach but police. I don't think that is considered a popular position on the matter.

2. Expectations as you say are set and where they are set, that is where it is addresses. Don't like it, find some other line of work I reckon. Or simply in this case, have a 2nd level authentication, not coming out with it is lame brained on their end. There really isn't a worthy comeback to that, it should just be the norm.

I am not saying the user isn't to blame, but it's not about blame. It's about customer service and helping and fixing the issue. They were naive for not being ready and not doing enough to protect users that can't always protect themselves accordingly. AND this is assumes the situation of the customer really starting the issue and not issues where these companies get hacked themselves, completely void of the customer being at fault.
  • Options
    tr1ckerytr1ckery Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013

First of all, I do not click suspicious links or download trojans. I have several Microsoft certifications and know how to use a PC, I work as a Systems Administrator for a large company. When I first discovered that my account was compromised, I immediately double checked security on the 2 PC's I had logged in from (at home and work) and found no issues, as well as changing the password to a new unique password I don't use anywhere else. I also changed the passwords of 2 other game accounts that shared the same password as the PerfectWorld one.

Secondly, after changing the passwords I verified that I was still able to login and my character was unchanged. The next day my account was banned, and when it got unbanned 16 days later my character was gone. So unless the hacker managed to hack my account again while I was asleep my character was deleted by Cryptic/PWE while it was on lockdown.

Thirdly, I'm not complaining that I got 2500zen for my troubles, I think that's fine. What I am complaining about is the utterly lacklustre response times and total incompetence displayed by their Customer Support. They banned my account and then gave me the silent treatment for 11 days, if that happened to you, you would surely get frustrated and complain about poor service, especially if you are a paying customer.

I can see your sympathy for PW comes from also working in a customer support position. I have also provided customer support, and still do, albeit to a minor degree nowadays. If I shutdown a user account without giving an explanation and then didn't reply to any emails about the case in 11 days, I'd lose my job.
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    lol it's the sort of story that would be unbelievable in any other industry but in the MMO industry is not only plausible but completely believable.

MMOs have the worst customer service ever and it's amazing to me how it's become accepted.
  • Options
    s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sorry to hear what happened to you OP (a paying customer) it reinforces my decision to not spend any money on this game. Overpriced cash shop, terrible customer service and the inexcusable (and amateurish) lack of character restoration capabilities.

Get your act together PWE/Cryptic.
  • Options
    akikisaragiakikisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP got keylogged, temp banned by default for investigation, char probably deleted because it was comprised, used for exploiting, real money trading etc... either way PWE will 99% say if asked that it was the OP's fault
  • Options
    s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OP got keylogged, temp banned by default for investigation, char probably deleted because it was comprised, used for exploiting, real money trading etc... either way PWE will 99% say if asked that it was the OP's fault

Funny, they still haven't banned known exploiters of the GF bug but quickly ban a paying customer and delete his char.
    I do agree though, they will undoubtedly blame the customer.

Who knows, maybe in 16 months they'll admit to their DB being compromised again oops!
This discussion has been closed.