test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How PerfectWorld killed this game for me

Comments

• cierdwyncierdwyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm actually thinking I need to go back to The Secret World again.:(
  • tr1ckerytr1ckery Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cierdwyn wrote: »
    I'm actually thinking I need to go back to The Secret World again.:(

Haha, I actually did that while my account was banned. I quickly got bored with the combat though.
  • thedio777thedio777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    <Double post - internet explorer <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>>
  • tr1ckerytr1ckery Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thedio777 wrote: »
    I understand your frustration and I hope nothing like this ever happens to me. I hope an admin will read this post and you can tell them the name of the guy who helped you!!

Certainly, my case was handled by "Support staff 34" -.-. No wonder they're anonymous. :P
    edited May 2013
    Okay, as far as i know, when you log in from a new machine (different ip-adress or mac-adress) a small digit password is sent to your e-mail and you must enter it in order to log in. That's how it happened to me. That;'s what also happened when my friend visited my house and wanted to play through my computer. So if your pc was hacked your hacked must have had access to your e-mail too. So i doubt it's bruteforce. That's why they do not need the "5 times try" etc. Just saying.
    edited May 2013
    Okay, as far as i know, when you log in from a new machine (different ip-adress or mac-adress) a small digit password is sent to your e-mail and you must enter it in order to log in. That's how it happened to me. That;'s what also happened when my friend visited my house and wanted to play through my computer. So if your pc was hacked your hacked must have had access to your e-mail too. So i doubt it's bruteforce. That's why they do not need the "5 times try" etc. Just saying.

They most definitely didn't have access to my email. The feature you are describing is only active for the website, not the game client. At least, I didn't receive any such emails when my account was compromised.
  • badatmathbadatmath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When i created my account, i received an email the next day, but was still able to login to the game.
    Was unable to login to the website though.

So 24 hours later i was informed i had an account, but after 5mins of creating the account with no verification i was able to login to the game.
  • sinistrad1sinistrad1 Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aw m8, i really hope they wil restore your char.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    If they have access on your computer through some sort of backdoor or plain keylogger, they do have access on your e-mails ^^
    edited May 2013
    If they have access on your computer through some sort of backdoor or plain keylogger, they do have access on your e-mails ^^

Or..
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Cryptic-Studios-database-breach-Star-Trek-Neverwinter,15460.html
  • hycinthushycinthus Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    With social media, twitter reddit,metacritic, etc, being very rampant these days, you can do a lot of damage word of mouth advertisement by posting your story. And I think they deserve it.

Seriously, make it big, you will get a response.

Did you read an article of a guy who lost his Comcast internet service for a day? Then he called customer service, they told him it would take 3 days for a person to come. He was pissed and posted a tweet on twitter. Many people followed, and suddenly, the gm of Comcast tweeted back, and then sent a repair guy before the end of the day. The last thing g these businesses want is a bad word in social media.

You know why they sent you 2500 zen right? They know they're wrong and hopefully it'll shut you up.
    edited May 2013
    hycinthus wrote: »
    With social media, twitter reddit,metacritic, etc, being very rampant these days, you can do a lot of damage word of mouth advertisement by posting your story. And I think they deserve it.
    Hes still active on these forums, i think he might have started a new character and is playing with all his returned zen along with the 2500 crytpic gave him.

So he might not wanna go for that "slander" plan you propose.
    Its not really needed either, and im not really liking the idea, i just hope the cryptic blokes have read this and are wonder wtf went wrong.

Seriously, make it big, you will get a response.

Did you read an article of a guy who lost his Comcast internet service for a day? Then he called customer service, they told him it would take 3 days for a person to come. He was pissed and posted a tweet on twitter. Many people followed, and suddenly, the gm of Comcast tweeted back, and then sent a repair guy before the end of the day. The last thing g these businesses want is a bad word in social media.

You know why they sent you 2500 zen right? They know they're wrong and hopefully it'll shut you up.

Oh ok you edited yer post lol
  • hycinthushycinthus Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    badatmath wrote: »
    Hes still active on these forums, i think he might have started a new character and is playing with all his returned zen along with the 2500 crytpic gave him.

So he might not wanna go for that "slander" plan you propose.
    Its not really needed either, and im not really liking the idea, i just hope the cryptic blokes have read this and are wonder wtf went wrong.

Oh ok you edited yer post lol

Yes i know its slander, but I wanted to give an example how it worked before, and just trying to help the guy really.
  • scorgescorge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    runebane wrote: »

Again, I'm not saying PW didn't do it. Just saying it doesn't look as cut and dry that they did as some people think.

who really cares who deleted the charcter, the issue here is that they cannot restore them even if you delete accidentally. That says a lot for there back end systems and processes, for some technical reason they cannot do a restore. god forbid they have to do a roll back of a shard...
    edited May 2013
    Yes i know its slander, but I wanted to give an example how it worked before, and just trying to help the guy really.
    Gotchya, the explanation helped, i thought you were being all malicious and stuff, now im kinda agreeing with you.
  • syynsyyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    U had an almost exact experience as the OP except none of my characters were deleted. Banning my account after I had already changed my password and email for the account. Days upon days of waiting for a reply. No access to my Champions Lifetime, Star Trek lifetime or NW founders or the websites. No notice that they had banned my account. An email telling me I had submitted a duplicate issue when, like the OP, I had no way to know if my original ticket had even been seen since they had banned my account after I had submitted it. The whole process was terrible and while PW did eventually give me back my astral diamonds that were stolen, they didn't give me back the 75 zen that was taken. PW needs to step up their customer support for sure. For starters, a phone number we can call when we have account level issues would be nice. Also, they need to have support working on weekends. Who ever heard of an online game support staff that had weekends off? Anyhow, I'm sorry anyone else had to go through what I went through. I'm hoping PW steps up and changes some of their support policies because I really like all 3 of my PW games and I spent a boatload of money on them over the years.
  • mohannmohann Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sinistrad1 wrote: »
    aw m8, i really hope they wil restore your char.

They won't do that. Once a character is deleted there is no way to restore it, even for pwe customer support.
  • tantivetyrelltantivetyrell Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Clearly the problem is the policy of deleting characters, if cryptic/perfect world does these things. At least it requires a longer grace period.
    edited May 2013
    syyn wrote: »
    U had an almost exact experience as the OP except none of my characters were deleted. Banning my account after I had already changed my password and email for the account. Days upon days of waiting for a reply. No access to my Champions Lifetime, Star Trek lifetime or NW founders or the websites. No notice that they had banned my account. An email telling me I had submitted a duplicate issue when, like the OP, I had no way to know if my original ticket had even been seen since they had banned my account after I had submitted it. The whole process was terrible and while PW did eventually give me back my astral diamonds that were stolen, they didn't give me back the 75 zen that was taken. PW needs to step up their customer support for sure. For starters, a phone number we can call when we have account level issues would be nice. Also, they need to have support working on weekends. Who ever heard of an online game support staff that had weekends off? Anyhow, I'm sorry anyone else had to go through what I went through. I'm hoping PW steps up and changes some of their support policies because I really like all 3 of my PW games and I spent a boatload of money on them over the years.

Sorry to hear that. I agree with you that there should be a phone number to call for account related issues. When they ban your account and then give you the silent treatment for 10 days you really should have the option to call and speak with a person not named "Support staff 34".
  • hateyourforumshateyourforums Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As someone who recently decided to spend 20 bucks on this game, and who's investing time in the game as well, I'm gladly going to bump this thread and demand explanation from either Cryptic or PW to figure out why this happened, I'd hate to have the same experience.
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    tr1ckery wrote: »
    I could have been satisfied with that if the character had been deleted by someone other than themselves (why did they feel a need to delete my character at all?). Nevertheless, the frustration is just as much because of the lack of communication and sloooooow response times.

It appears to me that someone made the deliberate decision to simply reset your account rather than do a thorough investigation as to the state of your account at the time it was compromised in order to properly restore it.

A poor decision on their part, but one that does indeed secure the items missing as described in your original complaint.
  • kurtz0619kurtz0619 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    The kicker is they did this to someone who has spent a substantial amount of money on the game...what hope does that give those of us who only spend $10 here and there? I'm sorry about your issue OP. I myself started with STO and have been a loyal Cryptic fan ever since, but this level of oversight is unforgivable and deserves an explanation. I'm sure if they at least would have given you the respect of explaining in detail what they did and their policy you would have felt just a little better. The 'sorry for ya' attitude by Cryptic/PWE isn't helping, lol.
    edited May 2013
    A poor decision on their part, but one that does indeed secure the items missing as described in your original complaint.

The items from the founder's pack sure, but not the items I had acquired in-game while adventuring, or the time spent levelling professions and acquiring profession assets.
  • rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ****, sorry about their epic customer service fail man :( hope you have a better gaming experience soon :)
    I'm still holding out hope they fix things but i might join your mad soon:rolleyes:
  • pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tr1ckery wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I agree with you that there should be a phone number to call for account related issues. When they ban your account and then give you the silent treatment for 10 days you really should have the option to call and speak with a person not named "Support staff 34".

Oh, Cryptic will never, ever have telephone support staff after they learned their lesson after the STO launch. They got so swamped that both they and Atari shut down their customer support telephone systems and stopped answering calls. As far as i know Crypti never brought it back ( they don't have the staff for it anyway )
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    To be fair, I expect this could happen with any and all mmo's, which I'm not saying makes it right in any way and I'd quit them in a heartbeat to if that happened to me, heartbeat. C.S. sucks anymore, they love that we are reserved to that fact, so they can deliver now up to our expectations. That is how a lot of new companies in other fields make it with BEYOND EXPECTATION CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

But mmo's consistently come onto the market seemingly never learning from their past mistakes in this area. You have to have a process in place to re-secure accounts, backup and restore characters very fast etc. But it seems to always be the same things over and over. Emails, silence, then resolution one way or the other. It's not always bad, but you never feel comfortable if you are going to be the unlucky one. That is why security with mmo's is critical, it is two fold to protect yourself and to protect yourself against crappy c.s. and recovery systems.

Always use a new password for each game. And these games need two levels of security, this game came out again naively with just one. WHY? OH WHY? How can you not learn this one and this isn't Cryptic, this should be a PW REQUIREMENT! 2013 and a game comes out with one level of security, perhaps we are soon going to hit a point people won't play a game without it.
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But mmo's consistently come onto the market seemingly never learning from their past mistakes in this area.

Yea, this exactly ... customer service is a widely hated area of almost every MMO I can think of.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

What do customers deserve who download trojans, click on suspicious links, open email attachments from unknown sources, don't follow basic security principles and essentially do the equivalents of leaving their car unlocked, their house door wide open while they are out of town and putting their wallet on a public bench while walking around the block. No one does that, of course, but with computers that is exactly what a lot of folks do.

How many customers, in today's society, take responsibility for their own mistakes and say, "Hey, I guess I was careless. I learned my lesson. Glad they restored what I paid for and gave me $25 on top of that. I guess I was pretty lucky in the end."? Hardly anyone, because taking responsibility is something that today's society doesn't encourage. What it does encourage is the sense of being special and entitled. It is, by default, always someone else's fault.

Would it have been nice if they had been able to restore his character? Of course. He doesn't deserve that some scumbag hacked his account, whether or not he's responsible for it. But for reasons we don't know they were not able to. They compensated him for it. What more do you want of them? That they give him 50? 250? Most companies probably would not have thrown in the extra bonus. It's good that they did, but of course, they still get bashed.

At the root of this situation is an incident that PWE is not responsible for.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you find yourself with issues with a PW game, just walk away. They are known for having no customer service and rip off item malls P2W games. Until that happens, enjoy.

It's also why you shouldn't spend any cash on their games. They can just take it when ever they want with no explanation other than a ban.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ozzilupo wrote: »
    I can understand some of your frustration but I would be thankful they reset your account to retrieve your founder AD and zen on a new character plus they gave you a extra $25 worth of zen.

Stockholm syndrome ftw!
This discussion has been closed.