test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why wipe the open beta?

Comments

• Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    KATU.com - Portland News ...What?

Owned by Fisher Communications whose board came under investigation for possible bribery when trying to sell the company to Sinclair with a shareholder lawsuit still ongoing.
  • Options
    tormeantedtormeanted Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't need to wipe. Just make a new shard - so we can get away from the cheaters.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Owned by Fisher Communications whose board came under investigation for possible bribery when trying to sell the company to Sinclair with a shareholder lawsuit still ongoing.

And an affiliate of ABC News. I still fail to see how its just some blog and "cheap food website"
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tormeanted wrote: »
    Don't need to wipe. Just make a new shard - so we can get away from the cheaters.

I'm trying to understand your point here I really am. But even assuming pwe didn't plan to merge the three servers into a mega server down the road how would this fix the economy? What the exploits did was rapidly put endgame gear onto the market, but as all drops are boe this gear would get onto the market eventually anyways the exploits just made it faster. So with no exploits the server would have the same amount of gear floating around in probably about a month after it goes live. What would this really fix for you? I honestly don't understand what this would do in your opinion.
  • Options
    oxiactionoxiaction Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    pwiratgirl wrote: »
    Foundry exploits allowing people to level from 1-60 in a couple hours.
    Gear exploits that allow mobs to be slaughtered en-masse and tons of gear farmed up.
    PvP exploits allowing people to farm glory and buy purple gear without doing anything.
    Dungeon exploits where people could kill a boss, force it to reset, then kill it again and repeat until they got lots of gear.
    Etc.

Are you simply sticking your head in the sand and saying "I don't see anything!", or just trolling?

OK. So - there are many frustrated people out there, but to be hones: Those people are loosers or just jealous. The economy is fine. At least for people not buying ZEN. And who needs to buy ZEN wants a pay 2 win game. U guys - crying for a wipe - didnt manage to get benefits out of the "exploits" and are now jealous and need to spend all your pocket money to buy the 980k cat. Cryptic should really setup a new server for all u whiners, put u all in and lock it. No one will miss u. Really - learn to play the game, get gear, get them AD - i really cant understand why u have even problems with AD - its so easy to get. U people are the same crying about the 150k respeccing costs....

Face it:
    You are pro or n_o_ob - thats life

sad story
  • Options
    isakongmingisakongming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And an affiliate of ABC News. I still fail to see how its just some blog and "cheap food website"

I see, so now three different links became one...you gave three, I commented on all three and gave more details as to why KATU isn't exactly a great place to take information from.

Do yourself a favor and go try to find KATUs follow up report on that article...you know, it was written 3 YEARS ago...so go on, find the follow up to it and guess what? If there isn't one (there isn't), its because it was BOGUS, there were no bribes!
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I see, so now three different links became one...you gave three, I commented on all three and gave more details as to why KATU isn't exactly a great place to take information from.

Do yourself a favor and go try to find KATUs follow up report on that article...you know, it was written 3 YEARS ago...so go on, find the follow up to it and guess what? If there isn't one (there isn't), its because it was BOGUS, there were no bribes!

And if you were responding to all three sites you might want to work on your grammar
    So Katu, a blog and a cheap food website are now THE place to go for the truth on major issues...son, I am disappoint.

Your right Katu didnt follow up but these places did.

http://www.bbb.org/us/article/Better-Business-Bureau-Expels-Los-Angeles-Organization-for-Failure-to-Meet--40710
    http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=4f8178da-5644-49e7-a7b3-4a0d205b70b2
    http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business-bureau-los-angeles/story?id=18706507#.UZVjd7W1H2s
  • Options
    jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Foundry exploits allowing people to level from 1-60 in a couple hours.
    Gear exploits that allow mobs to be slaughtered en-masse and tons of gear farmed up.
    PvP exploits allowing people to farm glory and buy purple gear without doing anything.
    Dungeon exploits where people could kill a boss, force it to reset, then kill it again and repeat until they got lots of gear.
    Etc.

Are you simply sticking your head in the sand and saying "I don't see anything!", or just trolling?
    Hmm I have not seen these exploits. How do you do it? Tell us or I say your just tossing out a bunch of bull. BTW <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the entire community over this issue because of a select few if it is true is not the answer to the issue. It would only make it worse.
  • Options
    redwaterxredwaterx Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    No wipes? How disappointing.
  • Options
    arrowmaticarrowmatic Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ratrail wrote: »
    We need ANOTHER thread about this? The search function is your friend.

It's their own fault for misusing the word "beta". As long as they continue to call this live, released game a beta, people will expect beta things (like wipes) to be reasonable actions.
  • Options
    anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So many exploits and glitches have been found that the game's economy has been seriously thrown out of whack. Realistically they SHOULD do a wipe and make everyone start over with a clean slate, but they won't, sadly. Yes, wiping would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off some people. Not wiping will <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off just as many. But they won't wipe, because they "promised" they wouldn't. So they kind of painted themselves into a corner.
    I hear what your saying, but those players who benefited from exploits dont seem to be affecting me. Eventually, their levels will top out, theyl make new characters with the exploits no longer available.

As far as I can tell, its a problem that solves itself.

Again, to be clear, their abuses dont seem to be affecting other players, as far as I can tell. If it did, I could see the point of a wipe. But as is, there seems no need.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And if you were responding to all three sites you might want to work on your grammar

And finally you hit the edge, backed into a corner with no place to go...except to grammar <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Congrats, guess that's why you make the type of arguments you make...arguments made pointless hours ago. There will be no wipes because there is no cause for them. Deal with it, your running on tangents does nothing other than make you look the fool.
  • Options
    tipsyjasontipsyjason Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013

His grammar was fine.

"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" indicates 3 things, just as his reply indicated three things "So Katu, a blog and a cheap food website". Katu, a blog...and a cheap website. If he was stating it was all one thing it would have looked more like "Katu is a blog about cheap food".

I suggest you go back to your grade school and go find all your teachers and slap them in the face for not teaching you correctly.
  • Options
    mustgofartmustgofart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think I will continue unless there is a wipe. This is a beta and the gravity of what has transpried has massively damages numerous parts of the game, I do not believe they can effectively clear out the cheaters and reset assets made by them.

It too little too late for clear round of baninng and resets, Imo they need to start it over.
    20.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mustgofart wrote: »
    I don't think I will continue unless there is a wipe. This is a beta and the gravity of what has transpried has massively damages numerous parts of the game, I do not believe they can effectively clear out the cheaters and reset assets made by them.

It too little too late for clear round of baninng and resets, Imo they need to start it over.

I've said it before but how would a wipe fix things? The root cause is BoE Epic items. Even if it was wiped the economy would be right back to where it is now as items are farmed naturally and hit the ah. The exploits just made that process faster. How would a wipe fix any of that.

I'm being dead serious and no pro-wipe advocate can answer it, they just retort if you aren't for a wipe you're for exploits. I'm not, I think exploiters should be banned. I just think a wipe would be harmful, solve nothing, eliminate large chunks of players, and be false advertising.
  • Options
    mustgofartmustgofart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    I've said it before but how would a wipe fix things? The root cause is BoE Epic items. Even if it was wiped the economy would be right back to where it is now as items are farmed naturally and hit the ah. The exploits just made that process faster. How would a wipe fix any of that.

I'm being dead serious and no pro-wipe advocate can answer it, they just retort if you aren't for a wipe you're for exploits. I'm not, I think exploiters should be banned. I just think a wipe would be harmful, solve nothing, eliminate large chunks of players, and be false advertising.

The Boe issue has nothing to the with the fact the exploits sped up the decay not only allowed leveling and other things that should of been caught in an Alpha but it wasn't. If the economy eventual colapse or gear prices dropping in price massively down the road, or changing items to BOP/BOA that isn't my concern. The econmony at release being a blackhole, makes the game very bleh and it is that way already and we are not even at Release yet.

I expect as time to go for the gear prices to decay as new gear comes out which will replace the older, in terms of high prices (hopefully) however right now the ecomony due to exploit doesn't exist anymore (at least imo). I don't think anyone with BOE god gear expects it logically to stay at the same price 6 months down the road or 12 months but hopefully they do not expect to be null before release.

You may not like my anwser but there it is. Yes the current gear will eventually hit the prices they are now but the economy has been majorly disrupted/altered. A wipe once the Gear issue fixed but however they will have to keep an eye on how legit things are looted (whether it be a dup or glitched boss etc) to ensure the economy will stay afloat. If they can't or will not The boe issue is what you said the source of the problem. If you ignore the cheating bastages that is (Which being f2p you have to)
    20.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The Boe issue has nothing to the with the fact the exploits sped up the decay not only allowed leveling and other things that should of been caught in an Alpha but it wasn't. If the economy eventual colapse or gear prices dropping in price massively down the road, or changing items to BOP/BOA that isn't my concern.
    But a wipe when no wipe has been promised is a very disruptive action, it's the nuclear option for dealing with things. If you go with a nuclear option you need to have some assurance that things won't be back to this state in a month. You say that's not your problem, but if you don't like where things are why would like like them any better in one month after the wipe when there was no exploit. It would mean the wipe failed to fix anything.
    The econmony at release being a blackhole, makes the game very bleh and it is that way already and we are not even at Release yet.
    By that token we're not at release so there is time to get things fixed with bans, and other modifications before release so that at release things are better. This can be done without a wipe.
    I expect as time to go for the gear prices to decay as new gear comes out which will replace the older, in terms of high prices (hopefully) however right now the ecomony due to exploit doesn't exist anymore (at least imo). I don't think anyone with BOE god gear expects it logically to stay at the same price 6 months down the road or 12 months but hopefully they do not expect to be null before release.
    The gear is just as good right now as it was last week as far as killing mobs (assuming you don't want bugged one shot abilities back) it hasn't devalued in that aspect. The amount a ninja looter can get for it has gone down, this discourages ninja looting and promotes actually using need if you need it and greed if you don't. This is fundamentally a good thing as ninja looting which is griefing imo is something that is every bit as bad as exploiting.
    You may not like my anwser but there it is. Yes the current gear will eventually hit the prices they are now but the economy has been majorly disrupted/altered. A wipe once the Gear issue fixed but however they will have to keep an eye on how legit things are looted (whether it be a dup or glitched boss etc) to ensure the economy will stay afloat. If they can't or will not The boe issue is what you said the source of the problem. If you ignore the cheating bastages that is (Which being f2p you have to)
    The disruption even in your own words was just an acceleration, that means the wipe is not effective to make any fundamental change in the economy. What it sounds like you are actually trying to accomplish is make it so you can get the ad from ah sales rather than the exploiters when you ninja loot the drops.
  • Options
    tipsyjasontipsyjason Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You may not like my anwser but there it is. Yes the current gear will eventually hit the prices they are now

You may not like this answer but here it is...did you ever think that Cryptic may not want a game that has an economy with high priced epic gear? But one instead based on fluff/cosmetic items instead? did you not notice the complete lack of gear in the cash shop? Did you notice that real money could be spent to get you in game AD and vice-versa?

A gear based economy with a cash shop that can net you AD would equal a pay to win game. No thank you. Let the epics be cheap, people should not have to spend 1000s of hours trying to get gear, they should be spending 1000s of hours having FUN. D&D is not about gear, its about fun and so Neverwinter should be about FUN also.

Go demand a new shard and re-roll.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    But a wipe when no wipe has been promised is a very disruptive action, it's the nuclear option for dealing with things. If you go with a nuclear option you need to have some assurance that things won't be back to this state in a month. You say that's not your problem, but if you don't like where things are why would like like them any better in one month after the wipe when there was no exploit. It would mean the wipe failed to fix anything.

If it is back to where it is in one month then there is other problems, In the end you are right it would at some point end up where it is for the current gear, and it should but not this quick that is something they need to balance once they have an real balance then the wipe. New gear should replace the higher prices at some point to keep the economy going. (Think about how PC release a PC from year ago price compared to one now for example the new keeps higher price)
    By that token we're not at release so there is time to get things fixed with bans, and other modifications before release so that at release things are better. This can be done without a wipe.

Bans will do nothing to fix the cheater this is F2P first off. Not to mention getting around a ban is no harder than getting PEBKAC error working on a Tech support line.
    The gear is just as good right now as it was last week as far as killing mobs (assuming you don't want bugged one shot abilities back) it hasn't devalued in that aspect. The amount a ninja looter can get for it has gone down, this discourages ninja looting and promotes actually using need if you need it and greed if you don't. This is fundamentally a good thing as ninja looting which is griefing imo is something that is every bit as bad as exploiting.

Ninja looting is a simple fix do not run with randoms, Granted this is a social game but Ever since June 29, 2000

Diablo II, Release date

Ninja maddness is the norm.
    The disruption even in your own words was just an acceleration, that means the wipe is not effective to make any fundamental change in the economy. What it sounds like you are actually trying to accomplish is make it so you can get the ad from ah sales rather than the exploiters when you ninja loot the drops.

Yawn so you are the exploiter who wants to qq about the ninja. (Let's not play this stupid game) So because I gave you my reasons I must be a ninja, That is the reason I feel why a wipe is the only way to if the problem the exploits were not caught early enough and have ruined parts of the game. You are right if/when an exploit like this is found they will have the same issue the point is they need to be more aware of what is going on to not allow the economy to be destroyed like it has been. The decay should occur naturally and be injected with new gear/content releases just a market is injected with new better products. As the products become easier to get their prices fall and eventually they are replaced by better items. If they do not plan to ever make better items then yes the economy will fall into the hole it is now, and the game isn't worth my time.
    20.jpg
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love that reasoning: You don't want a wipe, so you must be an exploiter. Nice generalization there.

Here's my "exploiter" character. I guess I should get on the ball, I'm not doing very well at it: th_Meb.jpg

Save the exploiter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for the people that actually were. I'm really getting tired of being accused of it, and I'm really getting tired of people thinking I should have to pay for somebody else doing it too.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tipsyjason wrote: »
    You may not like this answer but here it is...did you ever think that Cryptic may not want a game that has an economy with high priced epic gear? But one instead based on fluff/cosmetic items instead? did you not notice the complete lack of gear in the cash shop? Did you notice that real money could be spent to get you in game AD and vice-versa?

A gear based economy with a cash shop that can net you AD would equal a pay to win game. No thank you. Let the epics be cheap, people should not have to spend 1000s of hours trying to get gear, they should be spending 1000s of hours having FUN. D&D is not about gear, its about fun and so Neverwinter should be about FUN also.

Go demand a new shard and re-roll.

They are going to merge all the shards first off. Second your opinion may be their goal, but it isn't one I care to play. I don't want a shard then I'll go to a different game. It isn't fun if it is broke is the point I find it broke. You may disagree. Why all the hostility?
    20.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I love that reasoning: You don't want a wipe, so you must be an exploiter. Nice generalization there.

Here's my "exploiter" character. I guess I should get on the ball, I'm not doing very well at it: th_Meb.jpg

Save the exploiter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for the people that actually were. I'm really getting tired of being accused of it, and I'm really getting tired of people thinking I should have to pay for somebody else doing it too.

I didn't accuse anyone of it (it was sarcasm as he said they only reason to want a wipe is you must be a ninja). I agree we all shouldn't have to pay however but I don't believe what has been done can be repaired at this point.
    20.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The decay should occur naturally and be injected with new gear/content releases just a market is injected with new better products. As the products become easier to get their prices fall and eventually they are replaced by better items. If they do not plan to ever make better items then yes the economy will fall into the hole it is now, and the game isn't worth my time.
    So ban the exploiters as much as possible, fix the exploits and release gauntletgrym as planned, they're also working on module 1 already, the problem would be solved in your eyes as the new gear is out, and there has been no reason to wipe, so everyone else is happy.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So ban the exploiters as much as possible, fix the exploits and release gauntletgrym as planned, they're also working on module 1 already, the problem would be solved in your eyes as the new gear is out, and there has been no reason to wipe, so everyone else is happy.

So why would I want to play in the meantime till Gauntletgrym is out? It might fix it eventually but then it seems there will be no reason to be proactive (And I said seems) that if a new exploit if found they ban the same exploiters under a new account, and leave the damage they caused. They are not going to remove the gear diamonds from those bought or dealt with the exploiters, (I am fairly confident in this unless there is a wipe). I doubt they will even remotely touch those who exploited the leveling system much less ban them. You would be happy, I will just go elsewhere as will others (Not saying a huge number but I am sure others will due to this). It was a failure on the Devs to have this happen much less for how long and the damage it caused. I don't blame you (if you didn't exploit), personally if there was an effective way to keep them off of face gaming enviroment (as a whole not just neverwinter) I would advocate it but working in IT there isn't.

It's no fun to play with cheaters/angle shooters.
    20.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So why would I want to play in the meantime till Gauntletgrym is out? It might fix it eventually but then it seems there will be no reason to be proactive (And I said seems) that if a new exploit if found they ban the same exploiters under a new account, and leave the damage they caused. They are not going to remove the gear diamonds from those bought or dealt with the exploiters, (I am fairly confident in this unless there is a wipe). I doubt they will even remotely touch those who exploited the leveling system much less ban them. You would be happy, I will just go elsewhere as will others (Not saying a huge number but I am sure others will due to this). It was a failure on the Devs to have this happen much less for how long and the damage it caused. I don't blame you (if you didn't exploit), personally if there was an effective way to keep them off of face gaming enviroment (as a whole not just neverwinter) I would advocate it but working in IT there isn't.

It's no fun to play with cheaters/angle shooters.

Umm every single mmo ever released has had exploiters though, they usually do something bad to the economy and then either time or a new patch / update fixes it. As much as I hate both, exploits and the damage they cause are as much a part of playing a mmo as ninja looting. The only way to never have an exploit effect your game is to play a single player game. (not advocating quiting the game just saying it's the only way to never have anything bad happen)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Umm every single mmo ever released has had exploiters though, they usually do something bad to the economy and then either time or a new patch / update fixes it. As much as I hate both, exploits and the damage they cause are as much a part of playing a mmo as ninja looting. The only way to never have an exploit effect your game is to play a single player game. (not advocating quiting the game just saying it's the only way to never have anything bad happen)

I would be quiting because of the failure of the game's support team not because exploiters exist. The problem wasn't handled promptly, steps were not taken to minimize the damage (such as bringing the servers down till they had the problem fixed.).

This is a Beta after all longer downtimes should be expected.
    20.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I would be quiting because of the failure of the game's support team not because exploiters exist. The problem wasn't handled promptly, steps were not taken to minimize the damage (such as bringing the servers down till they had the problem fixed.).

This is a Beta after all longer downtimes should be expected.
    I wouldn't nessecarily be against them having done this but I've never seen a game do that for an exploit unfortunately.
  • Options
    xavynxavyn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do not see how you can do a wipe when you already opened a cash shop and have allowed real money micro transactions. That is nothing short of robbery and I would never play the game again or any other game associated with Cryptic or Perfect World or whatever they are called.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't nessecarily be against them having done this but I've never seen a game do that for an exploit unfortunately.

Wow did during vanilla and Eve has also due to some exploits (I can't say they did this everytime but I do recall instances over the years both did).
    20.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Fair enough, I never got to into eve, played it for about a month but didn't care for it, and I was too busy with rl during vanilla wow.