test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Envy's DPS Guardian Fighter compendium.

Comments

• Options
    khaoticlifekhaoticlife Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Envy, since shields don't make sets can you recommend a shield? Are you still using the grand regent?

I just feel silly using the crusher at level 60 T2.
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    adrynb wrote: »
    I've been think of starting a GF for a while and the guide was a good and interesting read. Your actions don't negate the guide, it's true but it's a shame you knowingly chose the path you did, you could of stayed on to help a lot of players.
    The mod didn't drop that message in here because it's a GF thread, it was a message to you dude.
    If this was a predator movie you'd be covered in red dots about now.

I've already been contacted by mods so there's nothing to worry about.

If you choose not to continue to follow my guide, that's fine. As you said, any actions I take do not invalidate the merit of the guide. What people seem to forget is that I've been finding and reporting bugs and exploits since day 1. I've openly stated this multiple times since before this whole controversy yet sheep will be sheep.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hey Envy, since shields don't make sets can you recommend a shield? Are you still using the grand regent?

I just feel silly using the crusher at level 60 T2.

The Castle Never sword and shield are part of a set! Unfortunately it's awful and they're gathering dust in my bags. The Crusher shield is the better choice if you're gearing for crit but if you have OCD about the lower level requirement I suggest the Timeless Hero shield. It's a lot like the Grand Regent but offers more power and recovery.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    jcfisher3rdjcfisher3rd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So any bets on whether or not this guy gets banned tomorrow? I'm gonna go with no since it is pretty clear the game is a pump and dump with no intention of long term viability.
  • Options
    renokyozumirenokyozumi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What content Should I do at level 60 ? I have a GS of 11k but there's so much epic dungeons to choose from lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What content Should I do at level 60 ? I have a GS of 11k but there's so much epic dungeons to choose from lol

I only play for PvP. PvE is just a means to an end. If you enjoy PvE then I'm sorry because there are no fun mechanics in any of the dungeons. It seems like when they put this game together they settled on "We can't come up with anything challenging or interesting so we're just going to put 100 add spawns."

Just gear up and wait for Gauntlegrym.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I only play for PvP. PvE is just a means to an end. If you enjoy PvE then I'm sorry because there are no fun mechanics in any of the dungeons. It seems like when they put this game together they settled on "We can't come up with anything challenging or interesting so we're just going to put 100 add spawns."

Just gear up and wait for Gauntlegrym.

I see. I also kept playing PVP until i hit 60 from 56 or so ( Dragon Server ). I dont really enjoy thE PVE part of this game though, got my gear mainly through smart sniping of items off the AH rather then playing dungeons with pubs. I do agree with the 'Horde of adds' style that the dungeons have lol. PVP is hella fun with my GF though, one -2 shotting CWs and TRs with Knight's > lunging + Bull's charge has earned me tons of 'WTF's in PVP and on one occasion one GF wanted to report me for 'exploiting' lol.

Currently Trying out a Wood elf GWF that focuses on Crit and recovery to see how GWF compares to GF at pvp at high levels.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I see. I also kept playing PVP until i hit 60 from 56 or so ( Dragon Server ). I dont really enjoy thE PVE part of this game though, got my gear mainly through smart sniping of items off the AH rather then playing dungeons with pubs. I do agree with the 'Horde of adds' style that the dungeons have lol. PVP is hella fun with my GF though, one -2 shotting CWs and TRs with Knight's > lunging + Bull's charge has earned me tons of 'WTF's in PVP and on one occasion one GF wanted to report me for 'exploiting' lol.

Currently Trying out a Wood elf GWF that focuses on Crit and recovery to see how GWF compares to GF at pvp at high levels.

GF is the strongest PvP class currently. GWF can be strong but not even on the same playing field as GF.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    edited May 2013
    GF is the strongest PvP class currently. GWF can be strong but not even on the same playing field as GF.

yeah as GF the only thing I really fear is mass DCs and CWs. TR's and GWF and Tank specced GFs usually fall to my massive crits.

How do you deal with DCs / CWs in packs though ? I usually use Villain's menace and try to burst 1 guy down before dying. 1v1s I have no problem though.

Your guide deserves more attention for GF's in PVP though, I seen many in Dragon Server running Indomitable Warrior sets and failing hard because they do no damage and generally get blown up by focus fire pretty quickly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    yeah as GF the only thing I really fear is mass DCs and CWs. TR's and GWF and Tank specced GFs usually fall to my massive crits.

How do you deal with DCs / CWs in packs though ? I usually use Villain's menace and try to burst 1 guy down before dying. 1v1s I have no problem though.

Your guide deserves more attention for GF's in PVP though, I seen many in Dragon Server running Indomitable Warrior sets and failing hard because they do no damage and generally get blown up by focus fire pretty quickly.

Don't use Knight's Challenge against a heavy squishy group. You do enough damage without it. Keep Frontline Surge on your bar because the utility it brings is insane. Often you can knock down three people, and follow up on any one of them and have them dead before the other two have time to stop you. If you're against multiple rogues, don't use Villian's recovery. Use Fighter's Recovery and time your block for their daze.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    wrannecwrannec Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    Just hit lvl 60 yesterday. Now i'm lost :-)

What should i do first? Get some gear on AH? If yes, then what?

Having a hard time to know if it's cheap or expensive - the prices that is.

Thanks for a great great guide btw. Now it's time to stack Crit and recovery :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wrannec wrote: »
    Just hit lvl 60 yesterday. Now i'm lost :-)

What should i do first? Get some gear on AH? If yes, then what?

Having a hard time to know if it's cheap or expensive - the prices that is.

Thanks for a great great guide btw. Now it's time to stack Crit and recovery :-)

Imo :

Head : Shadow Wolf Helmet ( Cheap and gives all the stats you want )
    Chest : Grey Wolf / Armour of Insanity
    Arms : Icefall / Valiant Warrior (Ice Fall is EX but valiant is **** cheap)
    Shield : Crusher Shield ( Cheap)
    Main Hand : Lizardfolk Scimitar (Should be cheap)

Necklace : Glorious mantle of (forget the name)

Ring : ( 2 shadowfell rings ) Or w/e greens / blues you can find. I personally run 2 level 60 pure crit rings. (gives me like 660 crit )

Prices are from what I see in Dragon shard.
    Whatever you do, just dont use indomitable Warrior's set ( PVP glory set)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Imo :

Head : Shadow Wolf Helmet ( Cheap and gives all the stats you want )
    Chest : Grey Wolf / Armour of Insanity
    Arms : Icefall / Valiant Warrior (Ice Fall is EX but valiant is **** cheap)
    Shield : Crusher Shield ( Cheap)
    Main Hand : Lizardfolk Scimitar (Should be cheap)

Necklace : Glorious mantle of (forget the name)

Ring : ( 2 shadowfell rings ) Or w/e greens / blues you can find. I personally run 2 level 60 pure crit rings. (gives me like 660 crit )

Prices are from what I see in Dragon shard.

All right :) Thanks for the answer!

EDIT: the shield, is it called shield of the crusher?

Also, the Icefall looks cheaper than valiant warrior? :)

Also, the lizardfolk scmitar. Is it the blue or very rare one?
  • Options
    svinjina1221svinjina1221 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

but I should use it to farm those items, right?
  • Options
    khaoticlifekhaoticlife Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wrannec wrote: »
    All right :) Thanks for the answer!

EDIT: the shield, is it called shield of the crusher?

Also, the Icefall looks cheaper than valiant warrior? :)

Also, the lizardfolk scmitar. Is it the blue or very rare one?

-Yes it is called "Shield of the Crusher"

-If Icefall is cheaper get it, it's what I'm using right now.

-Lizarfolk is Very rare shouldn't cost too much.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    but I should use it to farm those items, right?

Frankly I never found use for the PVP set. They give garbo stats for this build and in general dont do much. YOu are better off using greens and blues.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks! :-)
  • Options
    svinjina1221svinjina1221 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Frankly I never found use for the PVP set. They give garbo stats for this build and in general dont do much. YOu are better off using greens and blues.

but I level through pvp so my gear won't be that great later on for epics
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's funny that the first 45 pages or so, most people were coming in, giving their opinions or thanks for this wonderful guide. Everyone was theorycrafting, asking questions, and Envy was answering promptly, giving his insights and tips. All the GFs were one big happy family.

And then one SCREENSHOT comes out. No evidence of Envy actually using the gear, just a screen of him wearing it, and it all of a sudden invalidates everything he has worked so hard to put out for you guys. He took the time to make a comprehensive guide, keep it updated, answer your questions, etc... He did all of that out of kindness and his love for the class. He could have kept his build to himself. He managed an 11k+ GS before anyone even knew about the exploit. He helped most of you along your way to building your GFs.

Does that mean nothing to you? All of a sudden, the guide that helped you along your way to 60 that you were praising for weeks, is now "trash" because he wanted to see what everyone else was talking about? I'm absolutely amazed that he even has the patience to log in and look at the responses in this thread, and even moreso, he still replies! That's godly patience right there.

Props Envy, nice guide. If you re-roll a DC and actually have the patience to put another one out, I'll be sure to check it out to see what you feel are some of the best skills/feats/powers for that class, as well.

Cheers.
    Kimm
  • Options
    threaded1threaded1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's is no doubt that you can squeeze more DPS from this build but you have to keep in mind that I made this build with PvP in mind. Having a life saver passive that also acts as a nuke is about as good as you can get.

May I ask why you're maxing Dex? I thought the only vaguely useful stat gain was AoE damage resistance or something similar. I don't think there's anything to help DPS.

If the wiki is to be believed GFs gain Resistance Ignored for their points in Dex along with Deflection and AoE resist. Resistance Ignored is also the stat used in Armor Penetration when you mouse over it.

Mind you, when a GF hovers over the Dex stat in-game it shows Resistance Ignored with a -% which I'm really hoping is a bug like the 20 other things in-game that show wonky - numbers...like training companions for example.

If Dex doesn't work like that (which it should) then I'll have egg all over my face. If it does though, I'll basically be a plate wearing Rogue with the best stats and racials for damage. Then I can become the famous "Fury" Warri-- errr Fighter of DnD.

I don't really see how Dex would work any other way though, the only other alternative is that Dex makes GFs ignore a % of armor penetration used against them and that's all kinds of dumb considering the only people packing armor pen are other players along with being some kind of Resistance Ignored inception.

Like uhh.. hmm. If I had 17 Dexterity (-7% resistance ignored) and a Rogue had 7% Resistance Ignored from Armor Penetration, they would be dealing 0% extra damage because they cancel each other out. It's just too ridonkulous to believe a secondary stat on GFs would work this way, it would basically make GF Dexterity into a PvP only stat.
  • Options
    dignity88dignity88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In every forum there are whiners and the general kiddo's saying "screenshot or it didn't happen". Well it looks like Envy put out some solid proof. "Even if the post of Envy was invalid, the amount of effort that went into it would make it a 11/10 troll post regardless."

So I applaud Envy thank you for the guide, and I hope you keep updating it.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So any bets on whether or not this guy gets banned tomorrow? I'm gonna go with no since it is pretty clear the game is a pump and dump with no intention of long term viability.

He won't be. No one was banned for the prof. pack xploit, no one will be for the castle on either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I thought the way that -% resist from dex or arpen subtracts in flat amount from % mitigated. So if you had 38% mitigation and they had -38% armor pen you would essentially have 0 mitigation. That being said, I think it has been said somewhere that it cannot go below 0 and the only thing that forces it below 0 are abilities / feats...
  • Options
    notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

And then one SCREENSHOT comes out. No evidence of Envy actually using the gear, just a screen of him wearing it, and it all of a sudden invalidates everything he has worked so hard to put out for you guys.

Don't forget the multiple GF exploit streams that were running yesterday. Both streamers gave props to Envy for showing them the exploit.

So screenshot + "props" from known exploiters = pretty solid case.
    zingarbage wrote: »
    He won't be. No one was banned for the prof. pack xploit, no one will be for the castle on either.

Yeah but who cares about the prof pack exploit? A rare purple that sells for 60K-120K AD does not do the same damage to the economy as getting over 30 epic, high end purples an hour. I mean really, who cares about the crafting professions in this game anyway. They are a boring, generic Facebook game rip off, with no decent benefits.

Did no one but me watch the GF stream that popped up on the gen forum yesterday? I really hate that the mods took them down.

The streamer was saying they make "roughly" 8 million AD/hour with the prices at what they are now, and made fortunes before the prices settled down.
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    i don't blame people for taking advantage of exploits, i blame the company for not acting quickly and decisively to stop them, and punishing severely the players involved.

theres no way i spend money on a game thats been exploited, or a game in beta for that matter.

that being said, lv51 GF, using advice from this guide, and happy with the class sofar, thanks envy.
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    notdrizzt wrote: »
    Don't forget the multiple GF exploit streams that were running yesterday. Both streamers gave props to Envy for showing them the exploit.

So screenshot + "props" from known exploiters = pretty solid case.

If that's what you consider "proof", I'm glad you aren't a judge.

Regardless, I didn't come in here to debate, I came to see what all the fuss was about. The man made a nice guide, everything was honky dory, and now all of a sudden its invalidated because someone posted a screenshot. In my opinion, it's a nice guide, the OP deserves props for taking the time to do it, and in the kind words of a certain Mr. Jay Wilson, "You should be thankful!"
  • Options
    vdagaming91vdagaming91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously people need to suck it up and quit acting like a **** child.

Dudes guide is solid and may have helped many people achieve a better GF than what they could have on their own.

People abuse exploits in games, it happens to the best of us.

Jumping on the "Let's hate on this guy cause he abused an exploit" wagon is just stupid.
    I bet everyone talking trash has abused an exploit in a game before.

This thread is about a GF build, so keep on topic and quit riding this dudes d***.

Keep up the good work supjeremiah.
  • Options
    threaded1threaded1 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaeledrin wrote: »
    I thought the way that -% resist from dex or arpen subtracts in flat amount from % mitigated. So if you had 38% mitigation and they had -38% armor pen you would essentially have 0 mitigation. That being said, I think it has been said somewhere that it cannot go below 0 and the only thing that forces it below 0 are abilities / feats...

I'm working under the assumption that Rogue / GWF gear has tons of Armor Penetration because you need an obscenely high amount to reach the point of 0% mitigation on enemies, it might not even be possible to reach 0% at all.

The Dexterity is there so if my gear lacks Armor Penetration or some stupidly high armored boss / mob exists I'll be able to do more damage than normal or full unmitigated damage. It also let's me focus on different stats like crit or power.

By the way, can the rest of you idiots quit <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> around with the unrelated nonsense? We're trying to perform science here and this facebook styled drama is getting in the way on top of being annoying.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    threaded1 wrote: »
    I'm working under the assumption that Rogue / GWF gear has tons of Armor Penetration because you need an obscenely high amount to reach the point of 0% mitigation on enemies, it might not even be possible to reach 0% at all.

The Dexterity is there so if my gear lacks Armor Penetration or some stupidly high armored boss / mob exists I'll be able to do more damage than normal or full unmitigated damage. It also let's me focus on different stats like crit or power.

By the way, can the rest of you idiots quit <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> around with the unrelated nonsense? We're trying to perform science here and this facebook styled drama is getting in the way on top of being annoying.

I've not been able to test completely, but I don't believe it matters if you hit 0 armor, it will just go negative and keep adding to your damage.

ARP is currently the best stat without taking feats that boost other stats into consideration.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    efioanaesefioanaes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great guide thanks.

Most fights are done with a Rogue solo'ing the boss, while you, the cleric, the wizard, and the weapon fighter are on add control. Your job is to gather up all the adds and make sure they're in one nice little spot to be AoE bursted. If you don't like that then I'm sorry, complain to Cryptic because it's the most efficient way of handling T2s at the moment.

Id just like to ask if this is still the case?
    Im currently trying to decide on a main, im leveling both a GF and Cleric at the moment.
    If the GF is jsut some sort of off tank im not so sure ill enjoy it at endgame.