test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build (GF) for End Game PvE (and PvP) content.

Comments

• Options
    atec9atec9 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I haven't gone through every page but I was wondering if Stat Point allocation was discussed and if so, what would be considered as optimum?
  • Options
    rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    atec9 wrote: »
    I haven't gone through every page but I was wondering if Stat Point allocation was discussed and if so, what would be considered as optimum?

str/con is what I personally did. 1 point in each, each level.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • Options
    zzzzezzzze Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi rokuthy ,

Thanks for your sharing.
    And sorry, my english not very good, but I will make you understand me :)

Now, you play Guardian Fighter with build defensive or build Conqueror ?

And what statistic I need to up for your build ?
    Penetrate armor ? Def ? Life reneration ?

I'm now Guardian level 38 and I play defensive :( But I dont like... Not taunting good, and I dont think that need a lot tauntink in this game.

• Options
    rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zzzze wrote: »
    Hi rokuthy ,

Thanks for your sharing.
    And sorry, my english not very good, but I will make you understand me :)

Now, you play Guardian Fighter with build defensive or build Conqueror ?

I'm now Guardian level 38 and I play defensive :( But I dont like... Not taunting good, and I dont think that need a lot tauntink in this game.

Greetings, and I play Conqueror.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Added a FAQ to the bottom of the guide, check there before asking basic questions about gear, stats, attributes, pets, etc. Also, be sure to check out the DPS Spreadsheet that was added.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • Options
    felchorefelchore Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you very much for this update, very interesting FAQ :)
    Just one thing : it seems that the link to the spreadsheet is broken ;)
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I got my 4 piece Stalwart this weekend and it's a total game changer damage output and threat wise. Now I can pretty much snap threat on demand. I may not always be 100% leading the pack damage wise but I'm definitely able to keep up and keep threat. Against really insanely geared Rogues however I do end up slotting Enhanced Threat again. Not a huge deal since I rarely get low enough to proc Ferocious Inspiration.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    I got my 4 piece Stalwart this weekend and it's a total game changer damage output and threat wise. Now I can pretty much snap threat on demand. I may not always be 100% leading the pack damage wise but I'm definitely able to keep up and keep threat. Against really insanely geared Rogues however I do end up slotting Enhanced Threat again. Not a huge deal since I rarely get low enough to proc Ferocious Inspiration.

Ferocious is just there as an auto oh-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> button. It's not necessary at all and can be replaced with anything you want, especially if you're using soulforged. I've messed around with trample of the fallen there, enhanced mark, shield block, etc.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    felchore wrote: »
    Thank you very much for this update, very interesting FAQ :)
    Just one thing : it seems that the link to the spreadsheet is broken ;)

Fixed. Let me know if it breaks again.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • Options
    sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A reminded on enforced threat: It's not just to get aggro, it's an insane dps ability. The fact that it hits harder than 2 cleaves combined and hits mobs behind you and far away makes it insane. It makes up for the cast time. On top of that it aggros, helping you keep stalwart stacks. It also builds a ****ton of daily.
  • Options
    vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Sadly it's capped to 5 targets. Which as you progress in the t2 dungeons from what I have seen will be a minority of the things you will be hacking at at any given time. Still better than the 3 targets top of frontile surge though... it is a bit annoying that our aoes have such low target caps, it does not make sense. I don't think any other class has such limits on their aoes :/ It really only leaves cleave spam as the only viable alternative on clustered big packs of mobs. And Villain's when it's up.
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    Ferocious is just there as an auto oh-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> button. It's not necessary at all and can be replaced with anything you want, especially if you're using soulforged. I've messed around with trample of the fallen there, enhanced mark, shield block, etc.

No I agree and in most cases I rarely need to actually use Enhanced Threat. Most players I run against/with in PUGs simply don't have the damage output and there were a lot of groups I out DPSed players to not need it. The other Passives we get are all pretty weak and pointless so might as well take Ferocious Reaction.

However once every 10 PUG dungeon runs or so I run into that one Rogue who just has balls out crazy DPS far outpacing what I can do, like double my damage. Most of the Control Wizards I seem to get in PUGs are just terrible, terrible players who I can only assume they got to 60 by exploiting the Foundry and have no functional idea on how to actually play the class. GWF's are a joke. I did have on cleric out DPS me but not by much. Should have probably inspected him.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    jcfisher3rdjcfisher3rd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The valuation of recovery in DPS is flawed since it provides zero benefit unless you were going to use the skill in the 1-3 second window when it would not have been on cooldown without reduction. If you literally hammer the buttons instantly every time a skill comes off cooldown then the recovery DPS bonus is accurate otherwise it decrease rapidly until it reaches zero when the skill would have been off cooldown normally. Action point gain also functions the same way since it caps out. Even so it probably still ends up being the most useful offense stat in 99% of situations in PVE in this game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The valuation of recovery in DPS is flawed since it provides zero benefit unless you were going to use the skill in the 1-3 second window when it would not have been on cooldown without reduction. If you literally hammer the buttons instantly every time a skill comes off cooldown then the recovery DPS bonus is accurate otherwise it decrease rapidly until it reaches zero when the skill would have been off cooldown normally. Action point gain also functions the same way since it caps out. Even so it probably still ends up being the most useful offense stat in 99% of situations in PVE in this game.
    I'm doing ideal situations. Can only add so many variables in a day. You usually want to mash your buttons though. Lunging is massive dps and instant, enforced threat hits 5 targets harder than 2-3 cleaves do. Frontslide surge, anvil (gotta add it since I think it's better than griffon's) and griffon's are the only ones you don't want to use on cooldown. You want to use Villain's as soon as you hit 100 AP most of the time.

I think the point of max concavity for recovery (DR) is prob higher than 3k. For dailies recovery compounds the uptime: You gain more AP and you also use more skills.
  • Options
    decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    Loving this spec thank you
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed
  • Options
    nappeeenappeee Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice guide! Gogo Rokuthy and Envy, saviors of the GF community!
  • Options
    waradimwaradim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *wrong thread*
  • Options
    kacildzkacildz Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    did u get to test the grand regent set? is it worth it?
    thx
  • Options
    scumroachscumroach Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you get Stalwart Bulwark before level 60 and how expensive is the set?
  • Options
    nerdbanenerdbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Following your guide and kicking a** (and taking names!)! Anyway Potent Challenge is necessary or just makes things easier?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    scumroach wrote: »

On Dragon the most expensive part was the Helmet which typically runs anywhere from 1-2 million, but that's really most helmets since they come off Lair of the Mad Dragon which isn't a commonly ran instance. Chests run around 200-500k and other pieces are sub 100k. You can get the set and equip it around 42 I believe but that's a bug as it's a T1 set and should be 60.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    waradimwaradim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a question, since the stalwart helmet keeps eluding me in Lair of the Mad Dragon. I equipped the knight captain set just to have something in the mean time. Anyway, I can't get the 4piece bonus to proc off my powers, is this bugged? or is there something im missing here
  • Options
    jcfisher3rdjcfisher3rd Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scumroach wrote: »

Arms 30k
    Boots similar generally
    Helmet hard to buy since it is from Dragon but seen it for like 100-150
    Chest 100k+ atm

Levels are glitched so you can use pieces starting at 38.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    waradim wrote: »
    Just a question, since the stalwart helmet keeps eluding me in Lair of the Mad Dragon. I equipped the knight captain set just to have something in the mean time. Anyway, I can't get the 4piece bonus to proc off my powers, is this bugged? or is there something im missing here

The hybrid spec and playstyle works with any gear, it doesn't have to be Stalwart, just balance your stats correctly and play the spec the way I've written in it (with your own modifications) and you'll be 100% fine. The Stalwart set just makes life easy.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • Options
    alienfrombeyondalienfrombeyond Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For the DPS spreadsheet, I assume Combat Superiorty would go into the total feat damage multiplier? Do you know where Combat Advantage fits into the equation (as another separate multiplier probably)?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Arms 30k
    Boots similar generally
    Helmet hard to buy since it is from Dragon but seen it for like 100-150
    Chest 100k+ atm

Levels are glitched so you can use pieces starting at 38.
    Err.. I've sold chest for 1M-1.5M, boots for 100-200K and helm for 500-800K.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    For the DPS spreadsheet, I assume Combat Superiorty would go into the total feat damage multiplier? Do you know where Combat Advantage fits into the equation (as another separate multiplier probably)?

I created the spreadsheet. Add it to the feat damage multiplier. I'll rename the multiplier to Extra Damage and i'll make a section to plug your stats, CA or no CA, feats, etc.
  • Options
    ases3noases3no Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    what is the best weapon and armor enchantment for this build?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ases3no wrote: »
    what is the best weapon and armor enchantment for this build?

I'm using the Greater Plaguefire weapon enchant, and the Soulforged armor enchant. The soulforged I think is hands down the best, the weapon enchant I guess could be up for debate. I could maybe see Vorpal being strong, but honestly the Plaguefire feels the best.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • Options
    vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    I don't know, personally I think I'll stick to Plague Fire over Vorpal regardless. Our lack of a crit % stat kinda reduces Vorpal's effectiveness, as we cannot reach as high crit chance as other classes. It might still be better "personal" dps possibly, stacking enough crit, but I just cannot see it being overally better than keeping up a 45% defense reduction on all enemies for the whole team to benefit (and I think multiple Plague Fire from different sources actually stack? I have seen the debuff stack up to 6).
    I am interested however on toughts about Armor Penetration. Did anyone try out how it works for us GF?