test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I'm new... I just spent some money on neverwinter.. boy am i regretting it.

sean99999sean99999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello everyone,

This is not a rant, more of a feedback.

I just started playing neverwinter for 3-4 days. I have a steady job, and i liked the game enough, so i decided to spend some money on it.

My first horrible experience: Purchasing a neverwinter founder's pack. Can you say buyer's remorse? The spider was horrible, the drow race was ok, the blue weapon was terrible as it made level 1-15 content completely trivial. Other than that i was given a bunch of junk items which completely overwhelmed my inventory space.

I then consulted the forums, and everyone says the same thing: Spend your money on zen and buy the items instead.

Alright.. i made a mistake, let's buy some Zen instead, which leads to my next horrible experience:
I look at the companion list, and i see a Healer "Acolyte of kelemvor". A healer sounds useful to me!
Then i find out that the healer... doesn't heal, and performs even worse than the free cleric i received in game.
I then consulted the forums again, and everyone says : Acolyte of Kelemvor is worthless! Haha.

So basically, before i buy ANY item off the Zen store, i have to do research by looking through the forums for information?
Neverwinter devs, you really need to improve your performance on the ZEN store. You should never sell items that encourages your customers to pursue a refund. It doesn't make any business sense whatsoever.

Thanks,
Sean.
Post edited by sean99999 on

Comments

• Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to anything. You do research before throwing money into it.
    you really need to improve your performance on the ZEN store. You should never sell items that encourages your customers to pursue a refund. It doesn't make any business sense whatsoever.

You need to learn to research before waving your card. Cryptic don't need to describe absolutely everything in their Zen store if it takes a 10 second google to get a better example / review.
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should always do at least a little checking before you buy something. I mean, thats how I avoid getting broken eggs at the grocery.
  • Options
    square0square0 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah I know, the world would be better without all the advertising gimmicks required to stay competitive in business

but as long as humans exist you should know that naivete is only going to lead to you getting screwed
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sean99999 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I just started playing neverwinter for 3-4 days. I have a steady job, and i liked the game enough, so i decided to spend some money on it.

My first horrible experience: Purchasing a neverwinter founder's pack. Can you say buyer's remorse? The spider was horrible, the drow race was ok, the blue weapon was terrible as it made level 1-15 content completely trivial. Other than that i was given a bunch of junk items which completely overwhelmed my inventory space.

I then consulted the forums, and everyone says the same thing: Spend your money on zen and buy the items instead.

Alright.. i made a mistake, let's buy some Zen instead, which leads to my next horrible experience:
    I look at the companion list, and i see a Healer "Acolyte of kelemvor". A healer sounds useful to me!
    Then i find out that the healer... doesn't heal, and performs even worse than the free cleric i received in game.
    I then consulted the forums again, and everyone says : Acolyte of Kelemvor is worthless! Haha.

So basically, before i buy ANY item off the Zen store, i have to do research by looking through the forums for information?
    Neverwinter devs, you really need to improve your performance on the ZEN store. You should never sell items that encourages your customers to pursue a refund. It doesn't make any business sense whatsoever.

Thanks,
    Sean.

You starting to realize that this game is not "free" to play even after forking out $60 for the game? Yea. Makes other titles with significantly more content and less monthly recurring costs seem so much more enticing doesn't it?

I personally am loving GW2 right now. I've spent $60 on the game and $50 on gems for the shop. I have plenty of bank space, plenty of bag space, and am having no trouble at all making gold.

Such a shame such a great engine, graphics and combat is ruined by greed and outright dumb game design. I'm still scratching my head in disbelief.

We'll see how things fare in another 90 days... Judging by the backlash already, 2 weeks in, I'm thinking its gonna get ugly around here.
  • Options
    jfoodjfood Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashrox10 wrote: »

You need to learn to research before waving your card. Cryptic don't need to describe absolutely everything in their Zen store if it takes a 10 second google to get a better example / review.

So it's cool selling poorly balanced or broken things, only requirement being that they're in the shop?

That's just silly. Who does that? That's like the business model of carnies and pawnshop owners.
  • Options
    emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    Heaven forbid PW's customers have to use basic purchasing principles before buying something from them.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jfood wrote: »
    So it's cool selling poorly balanced or broken things, only requirement being that they're in the shop?

That's just silly. Who does that? That's like the business model of carnies and pawnshop owners.

My guess is they know they have maybe 90 days of sucking money from people before massive population decline. Based on their past titles, I'd say my guess is a good one.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    To those like square0 above who try to portray themselves as so learned and knowledgeable about the ways of the world ... Good business gimmicks truly give the buyer something valuable for their money that makes their life ingame more fun or meaningful, even if it is just to stroke their ingame egos. And the gimmick is only necessary if the product is subpar.

For me, I have had too many dollars wasted in MMOs for collector's editions and the like, as most of the items are useless, inventory spams or useable only for very short period of time. Learned my lesson a while back. Just pay the minimum to get into the game, and the game itself will eventually give you the things you want.

As far as Zen, that is a little snake-oily as well. When trying to figure out if it was worth it to purchase enough zen or spend enough cash to get a couple of lockbox keys, I was quick to discover the run around demanding that I actually click to buy without knowing the amount or the quality of the item. Another red flag. No thanks.

You guys need to get a little more professional and sophisticated. Tricking people into buying useless or overpriced stuff to fund your gaming development will not end up with a good customer base
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why does everyone think the acolyte is a healer? It even says in the description that she is NOT before you buy it. People just need to read what they are buying before they buy it. She mitigates damage and increases your life steal ability.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thanks,
    Sean.
    It's the plan Stan. Flash things in front of you, get you to buy it up fast, then let you find out it wasn't exactly what you wanted. Then count on you feeling "invested" in the game, and offer you another chance at spending more money to "get it right this time."

Fair? Good way to do business? - you decide.
    But from a business-bottom-line standpoint; awesome.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Buyers remorse is mainly an indicator that you didn't do your research well. The spider was shown in videos and such, which were available to look at for some time, so you should have known before hand what the mount was like.

The blue weapon was meant to be much better than other weapons at that level. If it didn't have a noticeable effect on your game play it would have been pointless to have received a blue weapon.

Everyone doesn't say the same thing regarding 'just buy zen' on the forums.

I think I've read that the Acolyte provides damage resistance instead of healing, which may be more useful at high levels, as the incoming damage gets higher. Or, maybe it isn't. Not everything in any game is designed with perfection.

It's good to research anything before you buy it, if you can find an impartial source of information.

In case you didn't know, game forums for any game are full of complainers, whiners, and fanboys, so coming here looking for the majority of the posters to have an impartial view of things isn't the best plan.
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From Wikipedia;
    In finance, investment is putting money into something with the expectation of gain, usually over a longer term. [...] Most or all forms of investment involve some form of risk, such as investment in equities, property, and even fixed interest securities which are subject, inter alia, to inflation risk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    usmcm1a1usmcm1a1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Saying "Duh you should have googled" really has nothing to do with the original post, which was feedback to the developer on the quality of the items being sold. If the OP had said "OMG there is no way to get information on this game," then maybe snarky comments on how google works would at least be connected to the issue.

Pretty sure giving developers feedback on a game in beta is a legitimate function of forum posting.
  • Options
    bcrlariasbcrlarias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heaven forbid Cryptic not offer crappy items that make its purchasers regret buying them.
  • Options
    artificiaryartificiary Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    You should always do at least a little checking before you buy something. I mean, thats how I avoid getting broken eggs at the grocery.

^ Made me lol! :)
  • Options
    tarpsbootytarpsbooty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I accidentally bought something in the game too and feel ripped off. Really, I freely admit it was due to me not paying attention. But I bought a Tethyr horse because I thought I could try to sell it for diamonds. Well I couldn't, didn't read the small print, but that's not my problem.

When I realized it was bound to my account I accepted the sad fact and decided to make the best of it. I figured a 5 dollar mount would at least be better than a 5 gold mount. Boy was I wrong. Not only does it feel slower than a regular mount (technically I think it's the same speed) but it's the ugliest horse in any game I think I've ever seen. Do not buy the Tethyr horse whatever you do. Its only purpose is to make you feel bad about being "cheap" so you can fork out even more money for a decent mount.
  • Options
    watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    btw you payed for a an unfinshed product before hand. takes a certain kind of person to ignore the fact that they paid for partial content at full price. just sayin...
  • Options
    zeuseason411zeuseason411 Member Posts: 107
    edited May 2013
    I won't be buying anything at this point, which is a shame because I really like the game but the pricing model/value is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of line.
  • Options
    watchyourbackwatchyourback Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I won't be buying anything at this point, which is a shame because I really like the game but the pricing model/value is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of line.

yup just look at what happened to age of empires online with there price gouging...
  • Options
    kr0owekr0owe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I bought the 59,99 founders pack and yeah i regret it to... The items i got is kinda worthless except for the mount that is nice to have but no way its worth 59,99...

EDIT: The other items i got i would never payed for if i saw them in the Zen shop first but hey its my own fault i guess. :/
  • Options
    yarknarfyarknarf Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, there are some nice perks not listed.

If you go into a McDonalds and mention you are a Hero of the North they offer a nice limited menu for a dollar.
    If you write to Pueblo Colorado 81009 and say you are a Hero of the North they send you a free catalog,
    Heroes of the North get a foot long for only $5.99.
    Free manliness comes with the purchase of of Old Spice for all Heroes of the North.
    All Heroes of the North may have already won $1,000,000 with the Publishers Clearinghouse.

So, at least you have that.
  • Options
    fakfejsfakfejs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you dont like spider i want one :D . Send any gifts to @fakfejs ;]
  • Options
    sean99999sean99999 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "You should always do at least a little checking before you buy something. I mean, thats how I avoid getting broken eggs at the grocery."

I like this quote. If i get broken eggs, or if i am dissatisfied with a product, i can walk right up to the return counter and ask for a refund. No questions asked.
    I have since filed a petition for a refund. I will let you know if it succeeds.

Sean.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My guess is they know they have maybe 90 days of sucking money from people before massive population decline. Based on their past titles, I'd say my guess is a good one.

amusing fantasy but not happening I expect.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So lets see you bought the most expensive pack assuming it was what you wanted?

I'm afraid I just don't get that. I always research what a pack consists of. Oddly enough I check special offers because I don't always find them useful. I did the same thing with this and determined that the Founders pack didn't offer me anything exciting over what I could get for the guardian pack.

I'm just not into riding giant spiders or playing drow early. Which where 2 of the big draw items in the founders pack. Another was the panther but I figured a direwolf was just as good. And I made that choice without even reading the boards.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashrox10 wrote: »

this. Why spend 200 bucks on a game you know nothing about?
  • Options
    delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hello everyone,

Thanks,
    Sean.

Not to call you a liar, but could you set the HotN forum title so your story seems more believable?
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • Options
    umbagloumbaglo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    How did they get "scammed"? The founders packs clearly indicate what you'll be receiving. And complaining that one of the items was too good? /boggle. Nobody forced you to use it in that case. Things like not liking the spider is personal preference. That's not something a company can plan for. And the acolyte thing I'm fairly sure says it's not a healer in the description. That's basic reading comprehension there.

The Acolyte specifically lists what it's abilities are in it's store page, one of which is that it's heal is done in the form of added Life Steal.

While I can understand feeling underwhelmed about what you ended up getting, to argue that you didn't even know what it was is simple foolishness. It doesn't matter what you are looking to purchase, you should always do research on it, which includes looking at what is being offered!
  • Options
    ilandryailandrya Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »

LOL we bought a dozen eggs recently. The end of one egg was gone, it was placed downward in the carton so it was not visible. Everything inside the egg was gone as if the egg had been rinsed out, and there was no mess, dried or otherwise, in/on the egg or carton. That was a new one.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    One misunderstanding about the acolyte of kelemvor is that she uses life steal debuff on enemies to heal you as you damage the enemy. It is based on your life steal stat if you have 0 life steal stat then her debuff will only cause 1 point of heal.