test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will you please get rid of these companions out of Dungeons

shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Okay I can understand the reason to have companions in game however what makes no sense to me is the fact they are in dungeons with groups. I roll tanks toons and have been doing it back since the late 90s I play no other characters at all. One of the most annoying things I have experiences in this game is running while three other people choice was to have their tank companion out.

Why is it that you think we roll tanks Cryptic/PW? Because we like to tank mobs. It is not because we like to dps or even heal. We like to tank which means we want all the aggro directed at US! It is enough that we have to fight for aggro from groups yet to have us fighting aggro from the groups plus the tank companions is down right silly. I don't understand who decision it was to have companions enter dungeons with us but you really need to rethink that ideal better yet get rid of it before you loose tons of tanks within your game.

I for one don't have a problem with tanking in this game but it makes it so hard trying to go up against a AI when it doesn't have to manually move his mouse/trackball and target.

So would you please get rid of these companions from dungeons they can only hinder people from rolling tank characters if we find that we are useless because of some AI input.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I've never been a fan of pet classes in MMO's. I think they take away from my character more than they add. So I'd be all for having them auto-dismissed when in 5 man dungeons.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shadow71 wrote: »
    So would you please get rid of these companions from dungeons

Yeah, they'll get right on that. Not like the companion system is a core game system or anything, nope…

Edit: not to mention the money they make off of them in the Zen store, LOL. Keep dreaming.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What ever happened to "Meat Shield" as a descriptive?
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sounds like your problem is the tank companion, ask people to pull out a dps companion or healer companion. There won't be the aggro problems you describe and nothing needs to be nerfed that way. Overall other than tankish companions in with real tanks for trash I don't think this is a big problem and it could probably be best solved with social methods rather than a dev change.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand the OP's complaint. How are Companions keeping you from tanking in a Dungeon? And why are you going up against them (sounds more like pvp or raids than dungeons)?
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    It sounds like your problem is the tank companion, ask people to pull out a dps companion or healer companion. There won't be the aggro problems you describe and nothing needs to be nerfed that way. Overall other than tankish companions in with real tanks for trash I don't think this is a big problem and it could probably be best solved with social methods rather than a dev change.

This....as a cleric, I need my tank companion when I solo, but when I group fro dungeons, I always pull out my CW buddy to help with the crowds of mobs coming at me.

Basically, dont restrict EVERYONE just so you can be the tank. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite our face.
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like being able to bring my companions and I don't see a valid reason not to.
  • voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The companions are stupid to begin with.

The fact that they are up in dungeons is very silly.
  • riven84riven84 Member, Banned Users Posts: 574 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    voqar wrote: »

Thank you for presenting this excellent reasoning! I'm sure we can all agree that the arguments you put forth to support your point are very well thought out and hard to refute. Your continued feedback makes this game better every day.
    edited May 2013
    voqar wrote: »

Companions are pretty much a core design point of this game. They are like your squires as you are a Knight. Your second as you are a Samurai. Your assistant as you are a Director. They are always there to help, and rarely get in the way, but not everyone likes them. If you have in issue with companions, there is an option to dismiss yours, and you can politely ask for others to do the same. Though with how absurdly difficult some of the boss fights are with the amount of adds they send at you, most will say no and keep their minions out anyway. But PLEASE dont force your view on me and MAKE me put mine away. I dont like your idea, and I dont want it shoved down my throat. I dont shove it down your throat that you need to buy inventory slots, or use certain skill builds. Why force your opinion of optional game mechanics on me?
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Okay I can understand the reason to have companions in game however what makes no sense to me is the fact they are in dungeons with groups. I roll tanks toons and have been doing it back since the late 90s I play no other characters at all. One of the most annoying things I have experiences in this game is running while three other people choice was to have their tank companion out.

Why is it that you think we roll tanks Cryptic/PW? Because we like to tank mobs. It is not because we like to dps or even heal. We like to tank which means we want all the aggro directed at US! It is enough that we have to fight for aggro from groups yet to have us fighting aggro from the groups plus the tank companions is down right silly. I don't understand who decision it was to have companions enter dungeons with us but you really need to rethink that ideal better yet get rid of it before you loose tons of tanks within your game.

I for one don't have a problem with tanking in this game but it makes it so hard trying to go up against a AI when it doesn't have to manually move his mouse/trackball and target.

So would you please get rid of these companions from dungeons they can only hinder people from rolling tank characters if we find that we are useless because of some AI input.
    Why is it that you think everyone should play the game just like you?

If you don't want them to have their tank companion out just tell them so, if they do have it out it's probably because it's the only one they have.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sounds like your problem is the tank companion, ask people to pull out a dps companion or healer companion.

Heck, the top groups that are trying Castle Never all have either cats or Ioun stones. Those are the ones that solve all the problems he seems to be complaining about. Basically make you better, aggro the same as if they weren't there. If you take them out, you are a lower quality than if you had them.

The biggest problem i have is seeing those white level companions in epics, healers and tanks, and they are next to useless, and the players with them never ever seem to use potions. :\ Plus those companions are almost always on the floor dead from one hit in epics.

This is why we have three slots to begin with, by 60 and running epics you should have more than what everyone takes (healer) first, (even if it's just another type of white one bought with gold) and be good enough to know which to pull out when. Even if you don't buy a better with zen or AD or whatever, you should know which one is best for dungeons.

Personally, i love companions in dungeons. it's part of what sets this game apart from most others.
  • temporalvoodootemporalvoodoo Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too don't like tanking off of companion tanks, but I see no need to yank them out. I think companions are fun and I enjoy them more than most of the people in the group.

Still, here's my solution for you if you have a huge problem with them. Let them tank and fall and then you pick up. You only need to pull the mobs off party members. Works wonders for me.

Now, if only we could get rid of other players and just have a group of companions... ;)

(side note: yes I know that STO does that, and that's why I love it.)
    There are many hampsters in the sea. I just hope they can swim.
  • xxviimbxxviimb Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "most" companions can only go to 15 atm anyhow.
    so lets see here a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> lvl 15 going into a lvl 60+ dungeon....yea that makes sense.
    TBH, I have a pheora(firebird) with decent equips and it still is not that great.
    In short.....yes please get rid of the comp. in dungeons, all they do is take up space and frustrate your tank.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nvm brain <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>,
    edited May 2013
    xxviimb wrote: »
    so lets see here a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> lvl 15 going into a lvl 60+ dungeon....yea that makes sense.
    TBH, I have a pheora(firebird) with decent equips and it still is not that great.
    In short.....yes please get rid of the comp. in dungeons, all they do is take up space and frustrate your tank.

Againa, as I said earlier, dont force your ideas on the rest of us that enjoy companions in dungeons. For lower level dungeons, most people use healers and tanks, thoguh some might even use CW pals. Later game people start reverting to buff pets, like Cats and Ion Stones for buffs so they are more effective heroes. If you go into a late game dungeons and someone is still using a rank 15 pet, then your probably in a bad team and wont do well anyway. This is all hearsay on my part, my best is a 41 cleric and I use tank pet solo, and CW pet grouped.
    nvm brain <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>,

lol
  • rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    If companions can't be used in groups they will need to issue refunds for 10s of thousands of dollars. Ioun stone is a passive pet but it cost me $20 and was well worth it. If I can't use it in groups its worthless.

As a tank if you can demand that tank pets are dismissed. If they say no leave group. If your group leader kick the scrubs who wont switch pets.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
    edited May 2013
    I was not forcing anything on you, I am not dictator, I was simply giving my 2 cents.
    Furthermore, yes the buffs are nice, but when it comes down to it...companions go down fast most of the time, and I have even seen a few cases where we had to stow them to get the glitched agro off us.
    I am fine with this dilemma either way, but I would "vote" against them.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    I don't understand the OP's complaint. How are Companions keeping you from tanking in a Dungeon? And why are you going up against them (sounds more like pvp or raids than dungeons)?

He isn't getting the top damage taken? I'm not actually certain why he would object to not taking as much damage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Irrelevant that they only go to 15. Particularly the healing and other support companions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Irrelevant that they only go to 15. Particularly the healing and other support companions.

ok, so take away your most valued skill, then take one piece of your armor off.
    now tell me, do you feel Irrelevant?
    edited May 2013
    Nope wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not trying to be the star of the dungeon. It sounds like your complaining because you aren't the focus of attention not because there is an actual problem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    He isn't getting the top damage taken? I'm not actually certain why he would object to not taking as much damage.

I dont think minions can be in the little goofy leaderboards at the end of a run. And I agree with the previous statement... why the hell is this guy complaining that a bot is taking his aggro. Him not having aggro means he is able to survive better and get healed more efficiently by the cleric. Thats bad?
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    I dont think minions can be in the little goofy leaderboards at the end of a run. And I agree with the previous statement... why the hell is this guy complaining that a bot is taking his aggro. Him not having aggro means he is able to survive better and get healed more efficiently by the cleric. Thats bad?

As far as I can tell no.

Companion diverts damage from me to it.

I take less damage which lets me survive longer and do my job better.

WIN!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Why is it that you think everyone should play the game just like you?

If you don't want them to have their tank companion out just tell them so, if they do have it out it's probably because it's the only one they have.

Dude how long have you been playing MMOs? I been doing it since the late 90s... have you ever tried to tell anyone anything in an MMO and they listen to it? And like I said before and I guess you didn't even bother to listen. IAM A TANK fighting for aggro from a group is a thing I like to do. Fighting from aggro from an AI tank is just plain stupid. If I taunt a mob off you that is what I suppose to do but when I have to use that taunt to take it off a freaking AI which I can't tell it is on one or not due to the fact they have no indicator of such then that is a wasted taunt that could be taken from a player to save his/her life. Learn to read please.
    edited May 2013
    Nope wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I'm not trying to be the star of the dungeon. It sounds like your complaining because you aren't the focus of attention not because there is an actual problem.

nope, I do ok on a consistent basis, but I am no star.
    and if you think there is no problem, then you sir are senile.
  • shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »

OMG SERIOUSLY? Are you reading? Iam a TANK which means I want the aggro on me. Is it that hard to figure out what a tank is? We like the aggro we want the aggro we rolled a tank for the aggro.
    edited May 2013
    nope, I do ok on a consistent basis, but I am no star.
    and if you think there is no problem, then you sir are senile.

Well what is the problem? So their taking some of the aggro from you to them?

AND?

I just don't see the problem here. You don't get experience or other rewards based on how well you personally tanked so if someones companion also tanked this is bad why? How does it harm the situation. It actually looks to me like it would make things better if their companion tanked along side of you.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    If I taunt a mob off you that is what I suppose to do but when I have to use that taunt to take it off a freaking AI which I can't tell it is on one or not due to the fact they have no indicator of such then that is a wasted taunt that could be taken from a player to save his/her life. Learn to read please.

Point! /endgame
    edited May 2013
    OMG SERIOUSLY? Are you reading? Iam a TANK which means I want the aggro on me. Is it that hard to figure out what a tank is? We like the aggro we want the aggro we rolled a tank for the aggro.

you sound like you want to cause more problems than you solve as a tank. I understand, but if you take less damage, then you survive longer and the cleric wont have to nonstop heal you, they get minor breaks in between so the can regain their healing abilities and they can time their heals better and more effeciently. You sir, are more of a problem than you like to think companions are.
    Point! /endgame

Not quite. Why bother taunting a pet ai aggro away. You can either

A. Let it tank and die
    B. Let it tank while you deal dmg/look for other things to tank(usually NO shortage of things to steal aggro from in dungeons)
    C. Pull aggro and waste your taunt like an imbecile.

Seems pretty obvious A and B are much better than what you do (C)