test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trickster Rogue PvP Stream and Info/Guide (attempt atleast)

saythinsaythin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2014 in The Thieves' Den
BJT0moa.png

Hello all my fellow trickster rogues and fellow trickster rogue haters, I am a PvP freak, in any game I ever play I pvp, If I can level through pvp I LEVEL THROUGH PVP. And I rage at things that erk me LOL

Hopefully this can be a helpful thread for any rogues good or bad wanting to troll or wanting to learn. First off my I say that this thread will ONLY be based off pvp. I have no concerns nor do I care about any PvE so do NOT ask.

Updates and News!
-Due to the unbalance of game and no info or news on where pvp is going, I might not be playing for long
-updated spec and powers screenshots
-Hit 150 followers! giveaway this upcoming saturday or the following on my twitch channel!

Post1: Overview, info on Rogue class
Post2: Possible balance changes and remarks
Post3: Level 60 PvP build to dominate the bracket

FIRST PVP MONTAGE RELEASED!
Watch video till end for surprise!

Available in 1080P HD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTuOxmxG_gA

Stream - www.twitch.tv/desololive 1080p+ Trickster rogue PvP
Some Pictures - http://desolo.imgur.com/neverwinter

TRICKSTER "WEAVING" (Jump Trick)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXI8qpFsFNE

Overview

What comes to mind when you first think of a rogue?

Before you can even dare play a stealth based class commonly known as a rogue, What do they even do? In every game I have ever played that consisted a stealth base class, what first comes to mind for me is, Invisible, Ganker, High burst of damage, Sneaky and last but not least What I mainly feel a rogues role is a PUNISHER. Yes thats right, a punisher. Why?

A rogues job is and has always been the "harass" role, sneaky, irritating, just want to get you off. But most importantly, the rogue has the ability to punish, Punish people for their mistakes. Every class consists of this, but rogues can punish someone to the point where they don't want to even play.

What differences dictate whether someone is a good rogue or bad one?

In every game, every class, in pvp it ALL comes down to one thing in the end, Attention to Detail. You need to have amazing awareness skills in order to get far in any game in any pvp, in Neverwinter's case, You must have the ability to know when to use what when, where, and WHY. You must have the mentality to outsmart the other person. This early into the game not many people know every class's excact abilities, but paying attention will dictate what makes a rogue good or bad. A good rogue will know what to do when the enemy makes a move.

You suck, you are playing an overpowered broken class, GTFO?

First of all, if you were any PvP literate you would know that Rogues so far is up there for the highest skillcap. A bad rogue will be utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. A good one will destroy anyone who sucks and does not know how to play. There is games where I completely destroy the game because people dont know how to use their fingers and dodge. And there is some games where OCW's (out of control wizards) actually know how to play and will completely deny me forever and always, and game mechanic wise I can do nothing about it.

Powers, feats? What do I even use?

Skills

Sadly although many of you might not care or even listen. This games rogue PvP spec is VERY linear. With everything I have tried. Majority of all rogue skills, are useless in pvp.

The basic build which probably won't ever change, is :

Encounters - Dazing Strike OR Smoke bomb / Lashing Blade / Deft strike (with exception of Impossible to catch)

This is the linear part. You NEED as a rogue, some sort of cc, disorient, which is where dazing or smoke bomb comes in, The stun is to ineffective lasts for about 1 second and you NEED to be opening with stealth in order for it to stun
(impact shot) Completely useless and not worth it, The daze from dazing strike lasts longer. You NEED damage, Lashing blade is great damage, hardest hitting encounter ability, You need an instant cast hard hitting ability to get off quick, Auto attacking is VERY hard to get off on good people. And lastly, you NEED a gap closer other than dodge, and deft strikes shadowstep mechanic is PERFECT also slows the target briefly allowing you to get some hits off.

Auto attack's
Duelist's flurry / Cloud of steel

DF is GREAT, it may seem like it sucks when you first start using it BUT, The last strike does bleed damage AND also acts like a gap closer if landed. You will stick to the target while your last strike is being animated UNLESS he dodges and if he dodges, that is GOOD for you. Cloud of steel because it's actually good damage as a finisher for someone running away from you with low health, VERY fast so if someone is mounted you can easily get 3 strikes off within 5 seconds to mount them off. And quite frankly the others just plain SUCK.

For Class features I use Sneak attack and Skillful Infiltrator. Depending on wether you want to go a crit build or glass cannon, these are not set in stone. use to your discretion it jsut works best for me because I like to haul <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>$ and get to places where I need to be.

Daily Powers Lurker's Assault and Shocking Execution
Increased stealth gain AND damage, shocking execution? I don't need to say why ... :).

Use Shocking Execution as anEXECUTE. I see rogues using it on people with full hp and I'm like.... wth is wrong with you. Use it on someone with full hp, hit them for squat and watch them get healed back up.... I just laugh

Paragon - My biggest mind **** of this game is whether to go scoundrel or executioner. Now with great decisions comes great min maxing, Basically PVP wise, If you want to go a more crit build BAM executioner , a more base damage power build, go for scoundrel.
Want to be like me because I couldn't make up my mind? Go for Max power/armor pen and spec into saboteur. :)
The paragon feature is purely based on your play style. Do you prefer being in stealth more? or do you liek to see big numbers crit. all depends on YOU

Enchantments I'm going to be very clear. If you are going to stack any particular stat. Stack Armor Penetration. By far the most beneficiary stat to stack. OR you can spread out your stats like me. I have couple for crit, couple for armor pen, and a couple for power. I want it all.

XHcCrUk.png

When you play a rogue, focus on what is going on around you, obviously Red is Dead literally, kill red and red stuff on the ground will get you killed. Pay attention to what people are using.

So I will give a brief explanation of what are some basic thing you can do for each class. But before that let me a explain a nifty thing to you. Try to practice to move forward for about .5 - .7 second in between each auto attack. It's good to learn early so you can know excactly how much time you have to move , this pertains to Duelist's Flurry. you can start setting up some strikes to be able to land a third strike on someone, Just have to learn it you'll understand when you put it to use.

ALSO A BIG TIP. JUMPING! YES! JUMPING IS MY SECRET THAT NOONE USES, AND I WILL SHARE IT WITH YOU ALL. Everyone hates the fact that you have to stop when you use a skill. Jump. no joke. practice jumping when using skills. try it with cloud of steel. Thats the best practice. If you want a GOOD explanation and to see it in action COME to my stream above and watch me play! I might make a video / tutorial on how to do it and why.

Control Wizards

Before we start this class because this is the class EVERYONE has problems with. Just know that against an actual OCW who actually knows what he is doing. It is 100% Impossible to kill him. So do not get discouraged if you meet one you cant kill. I personally think their class is a bit on the strong side, amazing CC, utility, suvivability , and Decent damage.

You can easily find out who a good or a bad control wizard is. NEVER open out of stealth with a lashing blade. UNLESS!!!! he has literally a sliver of health and you know you will get the kill. than by all means do it. You must open with a dazing strike, immediately use lashing blade and the hunt begins. The issue with control wizards is their cc and the fact that they can blink 3 times. Think about it, you have 2 dodges and a deft strike. the only thing he has over you is the cc. You must outplay him, if he blinks, you roll, dont give him a chance to cc you, most control wizards freak out and just want you off them so instantly use a cc, Whenever he blinks use a roll, and for his last third blink, use deft strike so it slows him and proceed to put out as much damage as you can. once he gets away and you used up all your gap closers. you are done. he won. just run away and try to restealth.

every other class is fairly easy to stick to.

Clerics

Simple class, acts just like a wizard with less cc and only 2 blinks. Put out as much damage as you can and when you see them surround themselves with chains Deft strike and dazing strike. Thats the ONLY thing that can stop you from getting to them.

Great Sword fighter

I'm going to be real, Run circles around him and mongoloid damage. you should NEVER have an issue with them.

Guardian Fighter

HOLY <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> I used to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on them and than someone moron started the crit build and jesus christ they hit harder than me and can tank my damage. YOU MUST and I repeat you MUST stack DF bleeds and keep them rolling, it will crank at the block gauge. They were easy mode till about 30 - 39 bracket and I start getting crit for 3/4ths my hp.
They have an INFINITE gap closer. Take that into consideration when running from one. I met a GF named SLAMBEEF which I am friends with now since he actually decent. This is proof that they take forever to kill. He was chasing me and would NOT let me go. I kited him around the map and had to pick up 3 map potions before finally being able to kill him. stack bleeds and use dazing when they drop their shield down and pray to god that he doesnt crit you for 3/4ths your hp because its unevitable, do not let him knock you down, pay attention to red and you are good to go.

Trickster Rogues

I specifically made this guide for all you other rogues out there. I have YET to lose to another rogue in a fair and square 1 v 1 I do not understand what in your brain tells you to open with a lashing blade out of stealth on a full hp person....

The BIGGEST thing to remember is. Dazing strike has by far the longest animation in this game hands down you can see it coming from a mile away! he turns purple and jumps in their air crosses his swords. If you have fingers you can easily press dodge or deft strike and his life is ****ED. Who ever gets the first dazing strike off wins.

So I am going to give you guys some tips
firstly always try to use dazing strike while in stealth for the 50% reduced animation, Its our BEST skill. using outside of stealth is to much of a risk and a waste of a cd if you miss it. only use if you KNOW you will get it off. A neat trick is when a control wizard on your team uses his black hole move, run to the black hole and as soon as you seem their entire team go UP use dazing strike IMMEDIATELY you will daze their ENTIRE team. than you watch them all scramble

So for rogues

If he uses dazing strike. dodge and spam cloud of steel.

if he comes up to you wait for him to use his first two strikes of DF and the moment his third strike starts use dazing strike. Gets them EVERY time. you can even get it on the second strike. Just DS as soon as he starts casting an animation. if you see him deft strike, IMMEDIATELY dazing strike behind you, Gets them everytime. Don't even bother chasing him if you got him with a dazing strike and hes running circles. Stop and spam Cloud of steel.

If you get him with a dazing strike and he stands still for some gawd awful reason, DF him and stack the bleeds, I'd them deft him to put the slow on him and Weave your DF and movement to try and land some auto's on him.

So I might add more if I feel the need to or if people actually respond and find this helpful as I find more tips and tricks, other than that I hope you guys might have learned something and enjoyed this info thingy. If you wish to see all of these tips and more in action feel free to stop by mah stream. I'm going to start streaming all the time I think.

All suggestions and/or comments are appreciated even trolls. Literally my FIRST guide/info I have ever made. So sorry for the disorganization. I'll try to respond sorry If I don't I am mainly on the game lol
Post edited by saythin on

Comments

• saythinsaythin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    HjbRApM.png

Rogues are OP nerf them

In reality rogues are by far not OP like people are claiming, so to give a better understanding as to why, let me break it down in pros and cons for you all.

Pros

-HIGH damage
    -Stealth
    -Ability to Punish someones mistakes (when played correctly)
    -Shocking Execution hits like a TRUCK use it when enemy is at 1/4th 1/5th hp and it hits HARD. It's an execute... what do you expect? :)

Cons
    -Easily kited
    -Horrible survivability
    -No Mobility due to having to stop in place to use an ability
    -Linear PvP spec, (1cc,1 dmg, 1 gap closer encounters)
    - 1 gap closer (not including dodges)

By far rogues hit the hardest WITH a daily. I have GF's critting me for more than my lashing blade crits. Why is it that someone that can tank, block, cc be able to do more damage than me? Why is it that a CW that can control an ENTIRE team by himself while being able to keep up on damage with me? And of course if rogues are so overpowered and can one shot anyone 100-0, than why can I never kill a cleric who knows how to play his class, in a 1 v 1? Rock paper scissors. But let me ask you guys something, if EVERY class can kite me by simply moving, and with knowledge, dodging the correct abilities that give me an advantage, Every class has something to get away from me and kite me, so let me ask you. If I am paper, who is rock? what class is rock?

The possible balance changes I would suggest is, for purely rogues only, I will not complain about any other class and how to nerf them.

1. If you want to nerf damage, make it so that we can cast abilities on the move and not having to stop, If you want to take away the only thing we have going for us, you must pick up in where we lack the MOST... MOBILITY What people don't want to realize is that you can kite us forever. Hell even a GSF can kite us if they wanted to. GIVE US MORE GAP CLOSERS at least one more.

2. If you want to nerf our damage, you must make it so that we are not visible while in stealth and cant be heard. You can see if a rogue is invisible due to there will be a shadow and a floating "glow" as to where he is. look like the outline of a dagger. Creeping up on someone in stealth jsut for a control wizard to magically cc you somehow is beyond me.

3. Let us be able to use encounters in between DF strikes, OR make the second or third strike a "shadowstep mechanic" Like stated above the biggest issue a rogue has is sticking to someone and thats what MAKES a rogue, the ability to harass.

Ideally I would like atleast another gap closer, everything else I can live with, but all the balance issues is purely based off of if you decide to nerf our damage. If you take away the only thing we have you have to compensate us somewhere else or we will be complete <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in pvp. It would go from,

No mobility, finally get to someone can put out some good damage

to

No mobility, finally get to someone, didnt hit them for ****, I get kited and do no damage what is the point.

The sad part is that ALL of our damage is COMPLETELY avoidable as the game stands, so HOW can someone complain and say rogues are overpowered WHEN YOU CAN AVOID ALL OF OUR DAMAGE. We have cooldowns on our encounters just like everyone else, when our gap closer is down we are like a bunny in a pit of lions.

You can't nerf one class because they do too much "damage" We are a damage dealer. Nerfing our damage turns us from "damage Dealer" to "Practice dummy"

So before you decide to nerf rogues damage, I hope you take a look at the damage potential of other classes as well of the mechanics needed to play the role of a rogue. Because quite frankly.... other classes are hitting just as hard as me outside of Shocking execution.

Not complaining, but seeing a good CW out run and kite 2 trickster rogues while controlling the other 3 members in a mid fight... Man I could not believe what I saw. I added that person and by far the BEST cw ive seen play, name is Leo Stormborn on Mindflayer.

Other Classes:

To be perfectly honest I see everyone good in their places, What would really balance this gmae is a nerf to rogues damage slightly especially Shocking Execution, and a nerf to cw's damage, sadly they can one shot me. 100 - 0.

Clerics are fine, gf's are fine, gwf's are fine, they do GREAT at their role when played well. All the roles tie in together so cw's staying in clerics god mode buff is a example, protecting the squishies. Rogues try to kill squishies GF's try to keep them off, rock paper scissors.
  • saythinsaythin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    KgqVTpN.png

Screenshot of build:
    EyPp8au.jpg
    Screenshot of Powers:
    1fp1gTa.png
    (Right-click, "copy image url" and copy paste it into another window to enlarge the picture)

Like I told everyone. Executioner IS the PvP spec, purely based on critting HUGE numbers! This spec revolves around speccing into executioner and "Speed Swindle" in the Saboteur tree. And sadly, the skill level of this bracket is horrible. Leveling bracket was harder than this. Everyone got lazy and don't even dodge or nothing. But still practice my techniques because when all the competition comes, you will have that edge. Learn to force people to panic, it really messes with them, BUT know your limitations.

My build is based on having GOOD positioning skills, attention to detail, and knowing your limitations. If you have a hard time with it, I'd suggest picking up an IoC build to practice with.

Your main Encounters are Dazing Strike , Lashing Blade, Deft Strike.

I have used IoC, Smokebomb, and Shadowstrike and by far, My build conquers all. (not degrading other peoples builds, just based off of personal testing, I've played the other builds. This shines more in more situations)

Simply run out of a smokebomb, Kite the IoC, and ride out the shadowstrike.

Duelists flurry SURPASSES Sly Flourish, Third strike allows you to follow the target and acts as a GAP closer. Of course you use Cloud of Steel!

Passives Skillful infiltrator, Sneak attack. You run TEH FAST! Helps a lot with mobility which is what you NEED.

Practicing my "weaving" technique will give you the HUGE edge you need in the level 60 PvP bracket. You will completely dominate the bracket. Watch my stream linked above and chekc out past videos to see how I take my technique and maximize its potential.

You must practice not needing IoC and you have to learn how to have good positioning! Attention to detail will dictate whether you are a good rogue or a bad rogue. Always know what you have up, and what you CAN do.

Ability Points:

If you haven't made your toon yet. I'd suggest doing 18 str 18 dex.

If not go for max dex and str secondary. while leveling MAX out str and dex.
  • thebrutangthebrutang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Finally someone else who understands TR. Great read! :)
  • stretchmarkstretchmark Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    smoke bomb is infinitly better than dazing strike and WoB is pretty bad for pvp considering how hard execute hits
  • whisperofthemoonwhisperofthemoon Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You using standard attack when fighting mages? Because if you want to use that duelist thing he will just walk away before you will start doing main damage even if he is dazed... Also, you using deft strike, you think it is better then impossible to catch? That skill allows you not only break his cc and attack, but also dodge a lot of damage (and even all damage if you stealthed). And how do you chase mages who just blow you away in 1000 meters, mount and run for the heal? Deft stike will help, sure, maybe you even dismount him with daggers, but he will blink three times after that, cc you and mount again... I am talking about 39lvl pvp to be clear.
  • rikkuprorikkupro Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ye kinda weird without impossible to catch.
    though i agree with dazing strike being better then bomb
    edited May 2013
    You using standard attack when fighting mages? Because if you want to use that duelist thing he will just walk away before you will start doing main damage even if he is dazed... Also, you using deft strike, you think it is better then impossible to catch? That skill allows you not only break his cc and attack, but also dodge a lot of damage (and even all damage if you stealthed). And how do you chase mages who just blow you away in 1000 meters, mount and run for the heal? Deft stike will help, sure, maybe you even dismount him with daggers, but he will blink three times after that, cc you and mount again... I am talking about 39lvl pvp to be clear.

The problem with impossible to catch is that the ONLY thing you can replace it with would be Lashing blade, so it is a preference. you MUST have a cc and a gap closer. Deft strike is to close the gap on someone running like a cw. I messed around with impossible to catch and for me its just not worth it. I can easily kite and LoS(line of Sight) if I get into a bundle. And sadly my build is pretty linear. Its a must. If you can make something else work, than by allmeans make a vid and link it here and I will definatly try it out.

A control wizard has 3 blinks and you have 2 dodges and a deft strike, you also have a DF which third strike has a stick mechanic. If you notice, when you land the third strike you follow along with the target while applying a bleed. Control wizards are VERY hard. sometimes I will use Deft Strike > Stealth > DF (if possible) > Dazing Strike (if cannot get 3 strik DF) > lashing blade.

You should NEVER beat a good control wizard they are impossible to kill when they roll all their cc's perfectly with their blink. The best thing you can do is harass the **** out of them and if they **** up and make a mistake. PUNISH it. Rogues has the potential to do good damage but sticking to a target is the hardest part.
    edited May 2013
    As a rogue, dont be stuck in the open not in stealth fighting a team fight. That is NOT your job. You are a damage dealer but your role is primarily a ganker/harasser. You are squishy. Let the tanks fight in the middle while you kill the squishies.
    edited May 2013
    Ask away all your desires
    edited May 2013
    bumposss :D
  • iareahealeriareahealer Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The decision to use Duelists Flurry over the standard Auto Attack that is Sly Flourish confuses me a little. Could anyone maybe clear up why exactly you would use Duelists Flurry considering the amount of time it takes to actually get any damage off from it? Against many people, as soon as they see themselves getting damaged (especially if they can't see who by, then they know it's a rogue), they run immediately and you will not get Duelists Flurry off.

From my experience, which granted currently isn't that much, you would do more damage sticking to someone and spamming Sly Flourish than you would using Duelists Flurry and rarely getting the third strike off. It would be a great deal better if you could prepare the first two attacks, Deft Strike and then the third attack would still count as the Flurry for DF, but unfortunately that isn't the case currently. So I guess what my question is: What is the reasoning for having Duelists Flurry as your auto attack, rather than Sly Flourish, and how would that translate into more damage? Also - how would you need to alter your play style if you're like me, where you changed from DF to SF because the cast time of the first two DF attacks were simply too impractical for PvP? <-- (That basically means, if I were to change from SF back to DF, what would I need to do differently to maximise and increase my overall damage?)

I also have a question about not using Impossible to Catch, but one question at a time I guess. Thanks in advance, I'm hoping this thread can improve my rogue PvP and help me dominate a great deal more.
    edited May 2013
    What is the reasoning for having Duelists Flurry as your auto attack, rather than Sly Flourish, and how would that translate into more damage? Also - how would you need to alter your play style if you're like me, where you changed from DF to SF because the cast time of the first two DF attacks were simply too impractical for PvP? <-- (That basically means, if I were to change from SF back to DF, what would I need to do differently to maximise and increase my overall damage?)

I also have a question about not using Impossible to Catch, but one question at a time I guess. Thanks in advance, I'm hoping this thread can improve my rogue PvP and help me dominate a great deal more.

Okay so I DO in fact get what you are saying. I used to think sly was WAY better than DF, I simply could not understand why in the hell would anyone want this slow piece of junk. When sly in fact insures you get a few hits off. BUT Here is the MAIN reason why I use DF, Think of it this way. No matter WHAT auto attack you use. That is not what your damage comes from. Your damage comes from punishing peoples mistakes. If you force a control wizard to blink 3 times he is very vulnerable for a dazing.

Now The whole commotion between sly and DF is that, in the long run, if mastered and able to correctly judge where and when you will be DF does more damage in the long run, AND acts as a stick mechanic. If you use DF and use your third strike on someone, and if they are running, your third strike follows them, where ever they go AND leaves a bleed on them.

My best advice for you would be, Do no take sly thinking you are going to kill someone with it. Your auto attack is not your damage dealer its just something to get a few pokes in, if in melee range. What I like to do if possible is Strike two times and hit someone with the third, to apply bleed and to stick to them. When masterd you can also move in between attacks so don't jsut stand still and hold down left click. When you left click jump immediately after so that it lunges you forward WHILE casting the animation.

Impossible to catch is Decent but my build is more towards the main pvp spec if you cant los and are learning when you can and cannot be fighting than I would suggest using it. But I would highly advise to know your role, Its to get in and out, be a harasser. The last thing you want to do is be in the open. THAN you would need impossible to catch. Hug walls, Know the animations of peoples abilities so you know when to dodge,

In the end it ALL takes time to learn and practice. I will most likely make a tutorial video on Jumping to cancel stop animation. I hope I answered your questions. but for a brief breakdown. Use DF, in the long run DF does way more for you, learn how to use it effectively and practice. The third strike is SOOO good in pvp that it would MAKE you want to practice it. A Stick mechanic + a bleed that stacks up to 8 times which decays an enemy slowly. Impossible to catch I would recommend to beginners who need a defensive for reassurance.
    edited May 2013
    I hope to make anyone with the "wanting to learn" mentality better at the game and will pass on my knowledge that I have and that I may learn to anyone who is willing. :)
  • piklenpiklen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After playing a good number of pvp matches, I have to say that good CWs are the rogue-killers. If you have your team-mates nearby or he is alone, then even if he is good, you can take him down but if you are alone and he has a cleric or another CW with him then just run.
    edited May 2013
    Yep, if there is 2 CW's or a cleric and cw. I just won't even bother and i'll run. CW's are the ultimate rogue killer indeed and in face they hit just as hard as me if not harder lol.
    edited May 2013
    stream online!! :D come watch and learn some neat tricks!!!! ask any questions live!!!
    edited May 2013
    sad mah life! banned from in game chat for linking stream in zone I guess lol
    edited May 2013
    Right, that makes more sense. When I was PvP'ing with Sly, I was using Deft Strike into an immediate stealth and beating on people with my sly flourish, and when they jumped away (generally immediately) I would go after them with my roll and keep getting a few attacks in until my Deft Strike/Lashing Blade came back up. In the earlier levels when I had to use the clone move, I used that to stay in stealth and keep sticking to someone with the increased move speed.

Now that I'm a higher level, with more of an understanding of the way my class works, I can see that auto attacking isn't as big of a deal as I thought it was. From what I've gathered, it's more about landing that clutch daze and punishing on that. So the rotation I'm imagining is Deft Strike > Stealth > Try for a DF > Daze > DF > Lashing Blade and then when they run, you probably wanna try to stick until DF comes back, or keep em at range with CoS. Does that sound about right for your play style?

What I was going to ask with Impossible to Catch was - if CW are such a huge problem for Rogues, wouldn't IoC be absolutely amazing to give them that little bit of an advantage? It would remove the CC and negate any incoming CC aswell, that would allow you to get an easy Deft Strike > Lashing Blade off. Even against other rogues who are running Dazing Strike rather than Imposible to Catch, IoC would prove to be better because as soon as they land the DS (assuming they do), IoC would remove the daze AND dodge incoming attacks whilst being immune to future CC. That's basically DS gone to waste for the enemy rogue assuming they land it (which is also a disadvantage IoC doesn't have). The CC cleanse, CC immunity AND attack dodge all in one move just seems a little too good to pass up for a PvP scenario - atleast that's how I see it. Am I wrong? Would love a discussion on the pro's and cons of IoC and DS (seeing as you simply cannot replace Deft Strike and Lashing Blade, they're too good for what they do).

I am really, really interested in the 'jump' mechanic you are talking about. I can't watch your stream at the minute as I am in college, but as soon as I get home, if you're still streaming I will try and talk to you in the chat. Maybe you can explain it to me in detail on there? I feel as though something like that can make mastering DF so much easier and make the way I use it so effective. Also as in WoW, I'm guessing jumping constantly is a huge annoyance for enemies to deal with. My name will be Iarehealer in Twitch chat - I'll try to get on in about 2 hours or so.

Finally, just for another point of discussion - do you think they should change DF so that you can continue using it after using an encounter? For example, Auto > Auto > Deft Strike > Third Auto for DF, or Auto > DS > Auto > Lashing Blade > Third Auto for DF etc. I personally think this would make DF so incredibly appealing and so much more viable for people who had my perception on the move.
  • zheavyzheavy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello, I just started playing 2days ago, i'm in my 20s now and for the first time i'm more interested in the PvP action of the game then the PvE. I'm playing rogue because i usually hate them in other games and wanted to give it a go. I played a few PvP games already before reading this and i've been using almost the exact skills you suggested and always seem to have the best k/d/a ratio ingames. Rogue is quite strong at least in the early brackets of the game so far, cause i doubt "i'm pro" i just started lol. Game after game i realize that wizards are the true issue for me, the CC combined with the blinks they have makes them really powerful but i doubt i've encountered any strong players yet.
    Thanks for posting this, i realized i've doing quite some mistakes. i was using stealth to open up lashing strike instead of dazing strike, i will try this now. I noticed i was missing a lot of dazing strikes maybe this will help me improve. As for the auto-attack choice, i picked up DF yesterday thinking it would do great in PvP but realized i can't seem to pull it off to the third animation on someone except rarely. I guess with practice i'll manage to get it.

I do have a question though about Feats and the basic item stats of the character, now i play elf simply because i like the look :P doubt i will change for a few extra stats. I'm still a newbie so i still lack the knowledge in some game mechanics. I'm mostly hoping to make a crit rogue in the end game based only for PvP, i'll probably reroll a different character for PvE. Do u mind elaborating and giving some idea on what stats/feats..etc that i will need, ofc besides the obvious feats that says "you gain 3% extra critic" lol
    edited May 2013
    Right, that makes more sense. When I was PvP'ing with Sly, I was using Deft Strike into an immediate stealth and beating on people with my sly flourish, and when they jumped away (generally immediately) I would go after them with my roll and keep getting a few attacks in until my Deft Strike/Lashing Blade came back up. In the earlier levels when I had to use the clone move, I used that to stay in stealth and keep sticking to someone with the increased move speed.

Now that I'm a higher level, with more of an understanding of the way my class works, I can see that auto attacking isn't as big of a deal as I thought it was. From what I've gathered, it's more about landing that clutch daze and punishing on that. So the rotation I'm imagining is Deft Strike > Stealth > Try for a DF > Daze > DF > Lashing Blade and then when they run, you probably wanna try to stick until DF comes back, or keep em at range with CoS. Does that sound about right for your play style?

What I was going to ask with Impossible to Catch was - if CW are such a huge problem for Rogues, wouldn't IoC be absolutely amazing to give them that little bit of an advantage? It would remove the CC and negate any incoming CC aswell, that would allow you to get an easy Deft Strike > Lashing Blade off. Even against other rogues who are running Dazing Strike rather than Imposible to Catch, IoC would prove to be better because as soon as they land the DS (assuming they do), IoC would remove the daze AND dodge incoming attacks whilst being immune to future CC. That's basically DS gone to waste for the enemy rogue assuming they land it (which is also a disadvantage IoC doesn't have). The CC cleanse, CC immunity AND attack dodge all in one move just seems a little too good to pass up for a PvP scenario - atleast that's how I see it. Am I wrong? Would love a discussion on the pro's and cons of IoC and DS (seeing as you simply cannot replace Deft Strike and Lashing Blade, they're too good for what they do).

I am really, really interested in the 'jump' mechanic you are talking about. I can't watch your stream at the minute as I am in college, but as soon as I get home, if you're still streaming I will try and talk to you in the chat. Maybe you can explain it to me in detail on there? I feel as though something like that can make mastering DF so much easier and make the way I use it so effective. Also as in WoW, I'm guessing jumping constantly is a huge annoyance for enemies to deal with. My name will be Iarehealer in Twitch chat - I'll try to get on in about 2 hours or so.

Finally, just for another point of discussion - do you think they should change DF so that you can continue using it after using an encounter? For example, Auto > Auto > Deft Strike > Third Auto for DF, or Auto > DS > Auto > Lashing Blade > Third Auto for DF etc. I personally think this would make DF so incredibly appealing and so much more viable for people who had my perception on the move.

I am actually currently working on a guide video for the jumping mechanic.

your discussion on IoC vs DS is indeed very well thought out, like I said though, you aboslutley NEED a cc, NEED a damage abilitiy and NEED a gap closer, once you learn excactly what to dodge and what not you wont need IoC. Like I mentioned earlier IoC is more for the reassurance that you have something to fall onto if you get into a bundle. If a control wizard decides to chase you, that immune to cc runs out really fast. can't stop a control wizard form controlling. Once you get smokebomb it will actually replace Dazing strike. I am LOVING smokebomb. And no matter what build you have, a cw should ALWAYS and WILL always be able to out run you and out cc you. using ioc doesn't stop him from running away. Dazing strike prevents him from dodging. Thus why deft strike > stealth > Dazing strike > Lashing is the BEST opener you can have on a cw as of right now. They all panic thinking they are going to die not realizing that we have no gap closer except two dodges and that they can out cc us, they just spam all their abilities and dodges

The DF theory is GREAT, I was thinking the same thing, having a larger window to be able to use an encounter would be GREAT. As for now its all about judgment. But seeing as how theres been NO word of any class balance changes or any news of them even noticing. I wouldn't rely on it.
    edited May 2013
    saythin wrote: »
    I am actually currently working on a guide video for the jumping mechanic.

your discussion on IoC vs DS is indeed very well thought out, like I said though, you aboslutley NEED a cc, NEED a damage abilitiy and NEED a gap closer, once you learn excactly what to dodge and what not you wont need IoC. Like I mentioned earlier IoC is more for the reassurance that you have something to fall onto if you get into a bundle. If a control wizard decides to chase you, that immune to cc runs out really fast. can't stop a control wizard form controlling. Once you get smokebomb it will actually replace Dazing strike. I am LOVING smokebomb. And no matter what build you have, a cw should ALWAYS and WILL always be able to out run you and out cc you. using ioc doesn't stop him from running away. Dazing strike prevents him from dodging. Thus why deft strike > stealth > Dazing strike > Lashing is the BEST opener you can have on a cw as of right now. They all panic thinking they are going to die not realizing that we have no gap closer except two dodges and that they can out cc us, they just spam all their abilities and dodges

The DF theory is GREAT, I was thinking the same thing, having a larger window to be able to use an encounter would be GREAT. As for now its all about judgment. But seeing as how theres been NO word of any class balance changes or any news of them even noticing. I wouldn't rely on it.

I went onto your stream but it says you're offline unfortunately. I was hoping to maybe have a conversation with you in real time about some of the stuff we've mentioned, and maybe sneak a peak at this 'jumping' mechanic you've mentioned. I want to get in the habit of that ASAP as it sounds to me like it would enhance my gameplay a great deal (just like learning to attack-move on League of Legends, same principle in cancelling the attack animation). Maybe if you have Skype you could add me and we could have a discussion on there? I'm planning on going straight into PvP fully when I hit 60 and I want to get into the good habits sooner rather than later.

I'd love to have some discussions about power/feat points and see what your opinions are there, and how they may differ to mine. Currently I've spent some highly unnecessary things in my powers just to expend points, but I think it should be okay in the long run. What level do you get smoke bomb, and what does it do exactly? Once you get it does the opener change to Deft Strike > Stealth > Smoke Bomb > Lashing?

Lastly, I really do wish we could get someone with influence to maybe take a look at this thread, if we can get support for certain Rogue changes, it may (or may not) get noticed. I feel as though every Rogue would approve of the change we mentioned.
  • dboss777dboss777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    I got my friend to start playing and I aoe foundry leveled a rogue to 60 as my alt. Maybe it's because I play a CW as my main but I just can't get into the TR. Where's the burst outside of a daily? Where's the sustainability in damage? It seems like I have zero survivability as a TR because the moment I'm out of stealth I'm in the open and die instantaneously with no real escape mechanic. I took out my enchants, greater plague fire and 4 trebonus, at like half a million ad cost for my wiz. Huge regret. Does it get better with playstyle changes? Cw is all about how to los and watching animations and dodging then nuking. Its not that simple as a rogue.
    edited May 2013
    Upon trying the 'jumping' mechanic trick on my Halfling Trickster Rogue, I can conclude that I'm either not very good at it, or it isn't AS effective on the smaller races. Because your character is bigger, it seems as though you jumps higher therefore has more time to do things in the air, whereas my character doesn't. I'm going to keep practicing when the server comes back though.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Watched a bit of one of your vids.

Yes, the damage dailies are too strong for the rogue, wizard, and cleric. However, you constantly left your clerics and didn't stand in the double blue circles. The other team was willing to fight within them, you should have enjoyed god mode. Instead you constantly ran off and let the CW smash you or combination of any other two opponents.

From a DC perspective, I won't follow you off points to keep you up and it appears you didn't understand to point of astral shield. I will keep buffs on you if you are pushing a point however, just don't over extend like you were doing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misterdkaymisterdkay Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is it possible if you could post pictures of build?
    edited May 2013
    As a personal preference, I think Sly Flourish is way better than Duelists Flurry in all honesty. I've been playing PvP non stop today and generally, as soon as you try to do your damage on someone, they will jump away, which completely negates the DF. Where you can get the first 2 attacks of DF off, you can get like 4 Sly Flourish off, before they jump away. That's tons of extra damage, granted when you do get DF off, it does a far bit of damage, but it's just not consistent enough in my opinion.

I want to try a new build for PvP, but unfortunately respec tokens are expensive as all hell.
    edited May 2013
    Making video still for jumping tip
    edited May 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    Watched a bit of one of your vids.

Yes, the damage dailies are too strong for the rogue, wizard, and cleric. However, you constantly left your clerics and didn't stand in the double blue circles. The other team was willing to fight within them, you should have enjoyed god mode. Instead you constantly ran off and let the CW smash you or combination of any other two opponents.

From a DC perspective, I won't follow you off points to keep you up and it appears you didn't understand to point of astral shield. I will keep buffs on you if you are pushing a point however, just don't over extend like you were doing.

Okay for your concerns, The problem with being within the clerics buff is that, If im flaoting around half hp I will stay if im 1/4th and under I run because if the clerics gets cc'd and cant heal me. I WILL still die in the aoe. My build is revolved around being in stealth, Thus why I run max range and spam cloud of steel to try and get my stealth meter up.

The dailies are in fact stronk, but takes FOREVER to build up so I ain't complaining to much about it.

To the cleric issue, majority of people I get qued with don't realize that you have to stand on the node to take it. so 75% of the time im on the node while everyone else is in the back trying not to get hit -_- But to conclude, my spec is based off of stealth not standing in the open and getting bashed on xD
    I got my friend to start playing and I aoe foundry leveled a rogue to 60 as my alt. Maybe it's because I play a CW as my main but I just can't get into the TR. Where's the burst outside of a daily? Where's the sustainability in damage? It seems like I have zero survivability as a TR because the moment I'm out of stealth I'm in the open and die instantaneously with no real escape mechanic. I took out my enchants, greater plague fire and 4 trebonus, at like half a million ad cost for my wiz. Huge regret. Does it get better with playstyle changes? Cw is all about how to los and watching animations and dodging then nuking. Its not that simple as a rogue.

Sadly, rogues by far are the hardest class to play good in this game, we have the worst survivability, all we have going for us is high bursts of damage, stealth, and some tools to be able to punish someones mistakes.

Rogues by far take a LOT of patience, you have to understand that any good player will kite you and securing a kill is VERY hard. Just a lot of practice can get you to the point where you can pick out peoples mistakes and punish it. People are quick to say "ROGUES SO OP" but in reality what they don't tend to realize is that our stealth opener is the ONLY absolute damage we can do, once our stealth is done we are easy to kite, we HAVE to stop to use all of our abilities, unless they change it so that we can run while auto attacking than nerfing a rogues damage is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> because thats ALL we have. If a CW blinks twice to get farther away while we have a deft strike up than obviously we are going to punish him and be able to stick to him for awhile longer. if every class played smart and knew rogues weakness, our mobility, than we would be the worst class in this game, you can outrange all of our moves by moving, that alone says enough, dont need to cc, dont need to blink, just keep on the move and you just countered a rogue.
    is it possible if you could post pictures of build?

Will try to definatly. My build will change in the long run.
    Upon trying the 'jumping' mechanic trick on my Halfling Trickster Rogue, I can conclude that I'm either not very good at it, or it isn't AS effective on the smaller races. Because your character is bigger, it seems as though you jumps higher therefore has more time to do things in the air, whereas my character doesn't. I'm going to keep practicing when the server comes back though.

I'm not sure if there is a race restriction, but for a brief overview, press jump and than IMMIDIATLEY use your skill, as you jump in the air lunging yourself forward it casts your animation.

For your sly flourish discussion. If sly fits your playstyle than that is fine but just remember, your damage doesnt come from auto attacks (unless the stand still of course) I like DF for the gap closing mechanic on the third strike, its just TOO GOOD to pass up. I hated it at the start of using it. But as I practiced it got better and better. Took me like two days of playing all day to get good with it.
    edited May 2013
    Come watch my stream! if you want to see rogue gameplay!
  • spondgebob1spondgebob1 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    AMAGAD Trickster Rogue, SKILLZZZZZZZZZZ!