test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Want Enchantment Effects? Get out your wallet.

Comments

• oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    This looks like a multiyear grind, if you want absolute top-end gear, and you don't want to buy zen for cash.

I think that's appropriate, and hardly new to the genre. There are games where you can have the best possible kit in 60 days of grinding. There have always been other games where the same process takes a much, much longer time. NWN is one of the latter. There's also a shortcut for cash, but given the amount, even players with large amounts of disposable income are unlikely to simply buy the endgame. I also think that's appropriate.

Most people will never get this gear. Some people will, and it will take them a very long time. A tiny handful will shell out a few thousand dollars to get it overnight. Nobody in any of these groups has a legitimate reason to be upset about the existence of the others.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    there is no AD farm tactic unless you can get pure AD, Seeing as you are only allowed to refine 24k AD per day. getting 1 mil AD through farming will take ages. Best way to do it , is get a good item and sell it

Ages = 42 days? :) And that assumes you have sold nothing in the AH.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • sagasaintsagasaint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oghier wrote: »
    Ages = 42 days? :) And that assumes you have sold nothing in the AH.

42 days of full 24k ADs per day equal 2100 Zen

so basically, if you play monday to sunday not even missing a single day (quite unlikely) and always manage to get to the cap of ADs per day (even more unlikely), your looking at almost one month and a half just to get 2 bags, something that is absolutly free, menial and worthless in practically every other MMO on the market right now

if you factor in things like the clearly better companions, the fast mounts, the rest of bags and bank space, respecs and lets not even mention the wards to protect your enchantment effects, your easily looking at years worth of massive grind solely dedicated to circumvent the many inconveniences purposedly placed in your way.

I play games to have fun. what your saying here sounds like the polar opposite of fun
  • morgensteinnmorgensteinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sagasaint wrote: »

so basically, if you play monday to sunday not even missing a single day (quite unlikely) and always manage to get to the cap of ADs per day (even more unlikely), your looking at almost one month and a half just to get 2 bags, something that is absolutly free, menial and worthless in practically every other MMO on the market right now

if you factor in things like the clearly better companions, the fast mounts, the rest of bags and bank space, respecs and lets not even mention the wards to protect your enchantment effects, your easily looking at years worth of massive grind solely dedicated to circumvent the many inconveniences purposedly placed in your way.

I play games to have fun. what your saying here sounds like the polar opposite of fun

I`m fine with a long grind aslong as others have to endure it aswell. I hate games that sell +enchantment stuff on the CS, which is what PWE does with every one of their games, so i shouldve seen it.
  • murdernicklemurdernickle Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And with this is the reason I'll play the game until 60, do some endgame dungeons and head out. There are always people in PWE games that are willing to throw money at it and stick around forever and that's fine. They'll keep the game going, but really a game that is so obviously gated in gear by money isn't worth keeping up.

The argument that f2p games need money to keep going is legitimate and I don't begrudge anyone who feels that these prices are justified. That's your choice of course, but to me a f2p game should offer vanity items and thats all. Huge time shortcuts or straight up better mounts and companions for large amounts like in this game just tend to make me feel nickel and dimed.

For those that do think everything is good with this pricing model, enjoy the game and I'm glad you found something you like! As for me, I can't support something I don't agree with just to get the best gear. I'm a min/maxing type, but only when I feel a system is fair.
  • jeschatelainejeschatelaine Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And with this is the reason I'll play the game until 60, do some endgame dungeons and head out. There are always people in PWE games that are willing to throw money at it and stick around forever and that's fine. They'll keep the game going, but really a game that is so obviously gated in gear by money isn't worth keeping up.

The argument that f2p games need money to keep going is legitimate and I don't begrudge anyone who feels that these prices are justified. That's your choice of course, but to me a f2p game should offer vanity items and thats all. Huge time shortcuts or straight up better mounts and companions for large amounts like in this game just tend to make me feel nickel and dimed.

For those that do think everything is good with this pricing model, enjoy the game and I'm glad you found something you like! As for me, I can't support something I don't agree with just to get the best gear. I'm a min/maxing type, but only when I feel a system is fair.

I'm the same way about what games I will and won't spend money on. It used to frustrate me, in part because I would rather not feel like an all-out freeloader, but then someone made me realize PWI is fine with my freeloading. They don't want my money. They want me to come in and play and enjoy the game and fill the servers. They've got the big harpoons out and everyone else can play for free for as long as we like. It's great for my wallet and must be working for PWI too, because they keep doing it and they're not bankrupt.

I figure there's no cause to complain once people understand that there are really two games here, one for absolutely free and one for the monthly cost of a working class player's rent and utilities. And these two types of players never have to cross paths because if I wanted to PVE with other players I could still look around for a group of them that doesn't spend money on gear enhancement. Now if you're not rich and you PvP in a PWI game, I pity you, go play something else before you end up homeless.
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While I don't agree with the prices, I do think the doom and gloom is slightly exaggerated. The people opening lockboxes will create a fairly constant stream of first tier enchantments on the auction (the price has already gone down significantly), and once people who enjoy the game get a few alts rolling, getting 2-5 chances per week on the ward box will also help. I do think that the current blue ward should be 5x or 10x for the current price though, but I've already spent way too much money on this game; so I'll probably spend more.
  • tribeca76tribeca76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    10 dollars per stone and ya figure 2 slots per item and ten items.

200 dollars (20,000 zen) to deck out one character

At the zen exchange rate atm which is about 450 AD per 1 zen that's 9 million AD.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.bulwarkclan.net/neverwinter

A PVE Guild
  • darkwingz88darkwingz88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You know there is study about f2p games where publishers were shocked by whats going on because it looks like:
    only 10% of players buy consistently in f2p games, and out of them another 10% is "heavy spender" wchich means range from 500 up to 3000$ per month.

And I **** you not. People really do spend that sort of money on game.
    Like someone mentioned - pfw doesnt want my money because I can easily shell out 10$ per month on one game, and occasionally when there is a sale up to 50$. Hell I even bought out everything in DDO for like 100$ when they had 30% sale, and played maybe 20 hours more after that point before I dropped :)

Another fact is that only 1% of playerbase will end up with superior gear on level 60. There will be people that will dominate pvp and if they have equal skilled teams - win the match themselves.
    But its a minority. So lets have fun and not really overthink all of this.

I dont get you guys - you've seen "hero of the north" pack worth 200$ valued at 500$, and if you didnt read what they got its your own fault. I knew its going to be pretty costly cash shop in this game, and I dont really mind it. Im just not the target :)
  • aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sagasaint wrote: »

It's 1000 Zen per blue ward, so that's actually 21,000 zen for wards for one of these enchantments.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You get a fuser every 7 days or for every 7 days you play consecutively . The green one only protects your runes , if it fails you keep the 4 old ones and have to try again . The blue one guarantees you make the better rune , but its one use only .
    Its from the praying coins .
  • hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    You get a fuser every 7 days or for every 7 days you play consecutively . The green one only protects your runes , if it fails you keep the 4 old ones and have to try again . The blue one guarantees you make the better rune , but its one use only .

This.......
  • nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People need to stop being asshats about this... look we get it you have no life, and sit with your mommys wallet and can buy everything you want...some of us dont have that luxary. I dont mind buying things off the item shop...heck i'm pretty willing to throw money at a game i love... but i just ran numbers on what would take to get ONE character started...basic items a companion and mount wanna know what i came up with?

Around 100 dollars USD

Thats just BASIC items... BASIC stuff bags, a companion and a mount...

I dont know about the rest of you but it bothers me that i am expected to drop so much for basic items...

Funny....I was pretty sure you can get a companion, a mount, and a 16 slot bag all for the price of two quest turn ins and 5 gold. In other words, exactly $0 required.

Oh! You meant extra bags, purple mount, and purple companion....all for a low level character that doesn't need them.

Don't want to buy Zen? Fine, grind AD and exchange for Zen. Don't want to grind AD? Stop crying about not having purple stuff at level 16.

However, I do agree the shop prices are too high.
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice heads up

As for those always complainers:
    The AD to Zen ratio is getting better people. It went down to 400 on Dragon at least as of yesterday.
    As with most cash shop complaints, the transfer ability makes it all a non-issue.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for this information man. By level 20 I'm starting to realize that this game's combat isn't dynamic enough to justify these prices. Tera did pretty much everything 100x better than Neverwinter, and it's cheaper even as a F2P title.

If you're willing to pay through the nose to play an even more dumbed down version of a dumbed down rules set in a popular setting go for it. More power to you. I wish I had enough money to flush it down the toilet, but I'm glad I have the brains not to.

Maybe I'll play in a year or so, when some of you seem to think the conversion rate will be better.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    This cannot be posted enough. Before everyone goes on a witch hunt(****, too late), it is completely possible(with large amounts of time invested, of course) to make these top tier shards without spending a dime or any AD.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A lot of Asian Style F2P went with this YEARS ago (later 90s to 2k)

Upgrade will always be a CHANCE. There is a chance of failure when crafting and lose material (or only lose some materials) this is true in U.S. MMO.

What makes it different in ASIAN MMO is that you can get a charm that you won't lose material if you fail AND/OR buy something that will increase your chance in upgrades.

These are always optional if you want to take a chance. It is not new. (while it does suck that you have to spend money to get a higher success OR grind a lot to buy zen via AD and then do it at least you have that option vs Asian market which you don't)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • wizend14everwizend14ever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can get the coalescent wards for free from coffer of wonderous items for 7 Ardent coins I believe.
  • ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Well they have not lived and learned yet they are not going to do it.

With

FF reborn
    Wild Star
    Elder Scrolls MMO

Tons of things to look forward to.

Right now 14 dollars a month is cheaper and get more out of it. That is why I hate free to play games who charge you for game content and enchants.

They could easily make that money giving us things like..Outfits, Potions, heck even bonus xp whatever. Just because they have a system that lets you earn zen does not mean it is a good one.

Well FFXI reborn is really good, so no lost tears if this crash and burns.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Right now 14 dollars a month is cheaper and get more out of it. That is why I hate free to play games who charge you for game content and enchants.

They could easily make that money giving us things like..Outfits, Potions, heck even bonus xp whatever. Just because they have a system that lets you earn zen does not mean it is a good one.

Well FFXI reborn is really good, so no lost tears if this crash and burns.

There ARE benefits to sub vs F2P but lately due to many F2P the sub models are hard to keep up. People are griping about content in F2P, I remember people griping about content for WoW (which is still one of the largest Sub system out there)

EVE Online is a sub system but their client (single server cluster) is around 30k I think (that is the highest I have seen when logging into check my account)

The draw for F2P is that people who don't want to pay $15 a month and play only like 10 hours a month, doesn't see much in RoI or even less (there are people who play little but want to play)

Free to Play model opens up option that a person don't have to pay monthly but can play whenever they feel like. That person may fork over a few dollars here and there to "speed up" level (like xp potion) which is a good draw.

PW games (STO and NWN for me. I don't play much of Rusty hearts of Forsaken world) STO and NWN have a built in system that allows player who has a LOT of time to grind out everything they want as long they have the patience and play the market.

It is a win-win situation for super casual gamer, hardcore traders, and company/investors. Sub model is great when you have the number to sustain it but that is a failing model due to many new games with 0 entry cost to try against F2P
  • mrdc0ymrdc0y Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so much griping about an item u can get out of a box u can obtain every 7 days for free
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If worse thing about this game is that I have to spend $10-$20 for a Enhancement that I personally want for the effect then I think everything will be ok.

PS: You Enhancements cap at Greater, blue version Wards can come out of Trade Bar boxes, AD is earned by simply playing NW and can be used to purchase these Wards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you care that much about your pixels looking differently from everyone else's on an internet game, you have much bigger problems than the game's mechanics influencing you to buy those pixels.

/thread
  • ragerblade82ragerblade82 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    If you care that much about your pixels looking differently from everyone else's on an internet game, you have much bigger problems than the game's mechanics influencing you to buy those pixels.

/thread

I enjoy how people think they know what they are talking about and type /thread like they won lol..
  • doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy how people think they know what they are talking about and type /thread like they won lol..

There's only 3 reasons someone would pay for a f2p game:
    1) support company for x reason (friend/family works for it, they love game enough, etc)
    2) they have more money than they know what to do with, so they don't care what they spend it on
    3) they want to look unique in the game to distinguish themselves from the other players

By logical deduction - the OP does not fall into categories 1 or 2 as they are not okay with the game mechanics and they care enough not to blindly spend money. Thus, 3 is the reason I put /thread

There was no thinking, there was only knowing =)
  • papi032papi032 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's only 3 reasons someone would pay for a f2p game:
    1) support company for x reason (friend/family works for it, they love game enough, etc)
    2) they have more money than they know what to do with, so they don't care what they spend it on
    3) they want to look unique in the game to distinguish themselves from the other players

By logical deduction - the OP does not fall into categories 1 or 2 as they are not okay with the game mechanics and they care enough not to blindly spend money. Thus, 3 is the reason I put /thread

There was no thinking, there was only knowing =)

I'm sorry. By what logical deduction getting an enchant that anyone else can get makes you unique? Nothing makes you unique, there is nothing that is exclusive to 1 person that another one can't have. Having weapon and gear enchants is a crucial part, making it this much of a pain to obtain (no rhyme intended) is bad.. I got no problems grinding, i never EVER paid anything in any game i played (i'm poor, what can you do) and i like to be able to compete with top players, even if it takes me much longer to get to that stage..

All in all, give it a month or 2.. Too early to judge but it seems like a huuge grindfest ahead thus far
    edited May 2013
    papi032 wrote: »
    I'm sorry. By what logical deduction getting an enchant that anyone else can get makes you unique? Nothing makes you unique, there is nothing that is exclusive to 1 person that another one can't have. Having weapon and gear enchants is a crucial part, making it this much of a pain to obtain (no rhyme intended) is bad.. I got no problems grinding, i never EVER paid anything in any game i played (i'm poor, what can you do) and i like to be able to compete with top players, even if it takes me much longer to get to that stage..

All in all, give it a month or 2.. Too early to judge but it seems like a huuge grindfest ahead thus far

that is the big difference between Sub and F2P games. The grind CAN be shorten if you have the bucks. So if you NEED to be at the same level as other player (i.e. people with money) then you either have to fork over some cash, or spend more time grinding dailies.
  • thunderknuckles1thunderknuckles1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    courtsee wrote: »
    Don't wanna pay?

Cool, there's this neat system in place where you can trade AD for Zen!

Don't wanna farm AD for Zen?

Then quit moaning about something you aren't willing to do anything about. The option is there. Whether you take it or not is up to you. If you choose not to then you have no place to moan about it.

Fail troll is fail. I don't even need to ask you if you have seen the Zen to AD ratio at the Zen market. Astral Diamonds are literally all but worthless.
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks like the game will end after the story content, if most of them even make it that far.
  • walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oh god this is a really bad joke.... I thought TERA enchant chance was fricken bad.... 1% HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 30% at LOWEST tbh

now I know why those greater enchants cost so much