What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Good But where is the D&D

Comments

• Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) Skill check system (nicely implemented I might add)
    2) Encounter/Daily powers (nicely implemented as well)
    3) Forgotten Realms setting
    4) Class kits right outta 4th Edition
    5) Races right out for Forgotten Realms
    6) Spells/Skills right out of 4th Ed.
    7) Gods/Deities right out of 4th Ed. and Forgotten Realms
    8) Monsters right out of the Monster Manuals

Haven't seen a game to date, be it single player going way back to Pools of Radiance on my Mac SE Circa 1987 to now that has done a better job at transposing a tabletop game to a video game.

Some people just have complainer ingrained in their DNA.

Yep agree with this...I mean I hear some people screaming because they aren't using Thaco, or that we don't have this laborious character creator that is a min/maxers wet dream. No this isn't a 2.0 or 3.5 D&D game it is a D&D game loosely based on 4E, which can easily evolve into the upcoming 5E rule set.

You're either okay with that or you're not, crying about it isn't going to make them revamp the core system.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well there's no pointy wizard hat.
    It ain't D&D without the pointy wizard hat.
    Dc0q2W2.png

Bwhahahaha blast from the past.... I actually had all my original books, manuals, maps, metal figurines, scores of dice, DM screens, from way back in those days and sold it all for next to nothing like 5 years ago and totally regret... Little did I know I'd get back into tabletop D&D like 2 years later and still play weekly.... Really regret all my metal figurines... put tons of money and effort into painting them and stuff... gave a way 2 boxes full of stuff for $100.. probably worth $2000.
  • Options
    fafhrydfafhryd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't like this edition of the D&D rules. It shows in game also.
  • Options
    friar1976friar1976 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On the surface this looks like D&D, but it doesn't quite feel like it. It has something of it's own, but maybe in time it will become more D&D the way Star Trek Online slowly developed. I'm willing to fork over a little more cash to help it and get in on some of the goodies early, but I'm really, really hoping this will do a little better at convincing me this is D&D.
  • Options
    haeven1haeven1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4th edition
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to see a game like this released that allows player stealing (ie steal coin off players if they carry it around with them)

It is one, it's called EQ2, but be warned you will be back without complaint, after you do play it.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    hammer58hammer58 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When the game finally does come out that all of us D&D players do really like can you imagine the gold rush that will be.

Every time a new game is released I keep hoping this will be it. Every time it is FAIL.
    Maybe the next one.
  • Options
    pikavoirpikavoir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    4.0+ killed D&D. The only way you'll ever experience real D&D again is playing it with rl friends on the tabletop.
  • Options
    dornstoneshielddornstoneshield Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    1) Skill check system (nicely implemented I might add)
    2) Encounter/Daily powers (nicely implemented as well)
    3) Forgotten Realms setting
    4) Class kits right outta 4th Edition
    5) Races right out for Forgotten Realms
    6) Spells/Skills right out of 4th Ed.
    7) Gods/Deities right out of 4th Ed. and Forgotten Realms
    8) Monsters right out of the Monster Manuals

Haven't seen a game to date, be it single player going way back to Pools of Radiance on my Mac SE Circa 1987 to now that has done a better job at transposing a tabletop game to a video game.

Some people just have complainer ingrained in their DNA.

Then you haven't bothered to play the actual D&D online which is almost a direct transfer of the pen and paper 3.5 to an online game. Its as good as it gets...

As to your list of points...some of them are fair...except that the question is not whether this is a Forgotten Realms game...nobody would dispute that it is...leaving all of your observations about the actual world pointless. The complaints are that it isn't D&D which is strictly a mechanics issue since D&D has never been a game world. The points you raise regarding mechanics might be true when compared to 4e...but literally nobody who ever played D&D in any prior edition regards 4e as anything but pointless, so who cares?

A brave dev team with a desire to take what works about tabletop gaming and bringing it to the PC would have streamlined stats and made A do THIS and B do THAT instead of having a dozen stats which all interrelate with each other and with your target's stats in ways which are impossible for a human being to understand or keep track of. That obfuscation is my biggest problem with them ajority of MMOs...and the descision to make this one MECHANICALLY no different from Warcraft or a hundred other MMOs was just a lame one. Note by stats I don't mean your character's 6 stats...but the deflection, armor piercing, etc that you receive from items and that seem to (who knows since its top secret) scale down in usefulness as you level...just like in other MMOs...

That said I do like the few things they did differently...and will continue to play until I'm not having any fun...so my complaints really are outweighed by the good stuff.
  • Options
    jaransanjaransan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At the expense of sounding silly.. a lot of you may find it interesting to know that there's an MMO in the works based on Paizo Publishing's Pathfinder D20 (Essentially D&D 3.75, made in response to the oversimplification of 4th edition.) Its more of a direct port of the pnp rules with obvious changes due to computer limitations. But the point of the game is that most of the content is player made, players will be plopped down in a big mostly untamed wilderness and then develop cities, trade routes, etc. Well check it out. They recently finished up their second kickstarter pretty succesfully.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-a-fantasy-sandbox-mmo

You can read the dev blog and about some of the mechanics and design goals at the Goblin Works blog. THATS where you wanna look for a straight up old school D&D experience. THIS game is based on 4th edition. Which was obviously simplified to a more combat oriented system in an attempt to attract people from a broader audience who previously probably thought that sitting at a table pretending to be a wizard was lame. Unfortunately it only really served to tick off alot of old timey rules heavy players.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately this is D&D. Most of the people posting are recalling D&D 3/3.5, or even 2nd ed AD&D. Just to be clear, that isn't Neverwinter's fault, that is folks not realizing that 4E D&D is radically different, for better or worse.
  • Options
    bornintheusabornintheusa Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's alright I guess, would have been <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> if it was open world, it's another mediocre theme park wut you gunna do
  • Options
    finnikiafinnikia Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ah its not open world!? that is a big bummer.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Unfortunately this is D&D. Most of the people posting are recalling D&D 3/3.5, or even 2nd ed AD&D. Just to be clear, that isn't Neverwinter's fault, that is folks not realizing that 4E D&D is radically different, for better or worse.

This game has very little in common with 4e, actually.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know about you, but for me D&D has always been about creating intriguing stories and characters and sharing them with your friends and the Foundry in Neverwinter delivers just that.
  • Options
    screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have very low expectations for the game, I haven't played yet, but based on watching some streams. Team Deathmatch in Faerun- Gary Gygax would be so proud. I actually STILL love NWN and play it on occasion. There is a persistent world I really enjoy that faithfully recreated many old Greyhawk pnp modules when I'm in the mood for a good cRPG D&D. So why am I downloading this LoTRO 2 game? I want to check out the Foundry for another nostalgia blast of more Greyhawk goodness, albeit if in a much more shallow and mind-numbing way.

Faerun might be lost, but Long Live Greyhawk!

/end grumpy old man rant
  • Options
    scerenisscerenis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some people seem to think that this is already a game on the market. It's in Open beta, there's bound to be changes, and this; posting on the forums; is the best way to get those changes. I do agree that there should be more customization, but I'd rather not have a DDO clone with better combat.
  • Options
    laere89laere89 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly the moment I started playing this game, It reminded me of GW2. Like it just reminds me of GW2.
  • Options
    kaos3083kaos3083 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    just doesn't feel the same without dice....
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think most so called dnd fands just dont really understand what dnd is about...
  • Options
    kaos3083kaos3083 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    i think most so called dnd fands just dont really understand what dnd is about...

Any real D&D player knows that this is not what the name says we don't even have dice rolls like wtf?
  • Options
    wekdkwekdk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have changed the app of my longsword to look like an axe I had in my inventory. I agree than an dwarf should have a 2 handed axe, and not a sword.

There is a lot of traps and hidden passages.
  • Options
    drekorsilverfangdrekorsilverfang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll be honest I almost didn't play the game because it was D&D. I only play it now because it doesn't feel like a D&D game at all. So I can certainly see why fans of it would be a bit concerned.
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    See my sig.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    beil86beil86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree with the post, this game doesnt have any D&D.. if u want a real RPG MMO go play age of wushu, first hours are boring but after the story quest the game its a diamond, has a lot of lore, and interact.. where if u are evil u can be imprisoned, you can steal, kidnap people, being a cop, assault caravans, be the master of your school, have set that represents how important you are in your school or faction,well lots of things..

Im agree with u, i really dont see the RPG interaction on this game. but lets hope they bring some RPG content, cuz i really like the combat system.

Also the Female charters are horrible no matter the race..

Has open world forced pvp so no thanks.

As far as this game, i gre up on 1.5 and i miss my old 2haxe plate wearing cleric that was a beast, but unlike some i can adapt and have fun in this game with the NEW rules.
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shinoryuu wrote: »
    The game is good. The combat system great. The foundry one of the best features ever. But where is the D&D.

Locked weapons and armor. I'm a dwarf great weapon fighter you wont let me wear full plate and no ax I'm a dwarf you never see a dwarf with a great-sword. D&D was always about choice but where is it here you should be able to wield a dagger as a great weapon fighter wear plate as a mage (yes it would be silly and never work) where is my studded leather, scale mail, splint mail.

Where is the environment of D&D i can run down hallways unafraid. I hope this is because I'm lower level but I haven't seen a single trap yet and all our class skills (Dungeoneering, Arcana, Religion, ect.) are just for getting crafting materials. Nothing is threatening as I can drip feed myself potions, at most in D&D you had 2 (mainly casue they were not that useful) not 15 and that's just from looting.

This game make me want to play a good D&D mmo sadly that is more of what D&D online offers than Neverwinter. It's not that Neverwinter is bad, it's a great game with wonderful combat and user created content just not a D&D game.

I hope this will be taken as a criticism that can be fixed and not as someone just whining. Hopefully this game will get better with time and it can become the game i wanted.

If you cant see the link between the game and pen and paper 4e then you arent looking hard enough. As someone has and still does play D&D since 2e and on, now playing pathfinder i can safely say this game does what it does well. It takes all the things in 4e and converts them into an mmo format. It has good action style of gameplay its made dailys into a limit break, and runs mostly on cooldowns. All in all, they have done an over all good job of working with what they had. If you want a more 3.5 experience, with a more traditional D&D play style...go play D&D online... this game doesnt aim to be pen and paper with graphics, its aimed at taking what 4e had and converting it into an mmo.

I think the game is fun...i think its true enough to the source material, and on top of all of that! its got some decent Voice acting, some nice customization, and the indoor missions actually more then mass mobs of enemies to slaughter! and the best thing of all? character made content! if its half as good as i hope... i'll be playing for a long time.
  • Options
    dragonbournedragonbourne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sneakerz1 wrote: »
    Depending on the era of D&D you are talking about (sorry I can't remember what edition Neverwinter was actually originally released in), mages couldn't wear plate armor. Then again, everything was restricted by class, unlike the newer editions which have all the extra things like feats (which the game has), which means, they could very easily say the classes do not allow for those extra things like daggers or plate armor.

If I recall correctly, casters could wear metal armor, just couldn't cast while wearing it, which defeated the purpose of a spellcaster to begin with. Whether they ditched that concept in later revisions of the rule set, however, I have no idea.
  • Options
    angusitoangusito Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    this game dont have anything for d&d, so vanilla, all is linear and autoselected. poor selection of classes but i know 4e rules are a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> too, maybe for new generations with little taste for true roleplaying.

i better let the time past, maybe with some luck they add a real cleric like the battlecleric and not that thing with a big cross
  • Options
    angusitoangusito Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    If I recall correctly, casters could wear metal armor, just couldn't cast while wearing it, which defeated the purpose of a spellcaster to begin with. Whether they ditched that concept in later revisions of the rule set, however, I have no idea.

caster can use metal armor but have chance to fail the spell and the weight was something they cant handle but some elf armors have the option to eliminate that
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Were you expecting to roll dice or something? It feels like many other D&D computer games to me... I love it.