test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Good But where is the D&D

Comments

• angusitoangusito Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    holt3 wrote: »
    Were you expecting to roll dice or something? It feels like many other D&D computer games to me... I love it.
    come on men, dont insult the games from black isle. this game is soso, like perfect world. played until lv20 with a cleric in close beta, was not enough charming i can tell
  • samaelofchaossamaelofchaos Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game really should have been named something else, seriously. The main problem with naming it Neverwinter is that it attracts the kind of people that WON'T be interested in the kind of gameplay it offers (aside from the Foundry), while also potentially alienating people who would want to try a new MMO, but don't like D&D and don't know this is nothing like D&D...

Up until I tried the game today I was under the impression I'll be getting a NWN online edition. I'm sure I wasn't the only one, too. This was either some remarkable marketing goof or, well, I don't know what it was, but it failed misserably if you ask me.

Like I said, this game isn't exactly BAD, it's just definitely not what I expected. I could possibly burn a few hours into it, but the game absolutely needs one very important change. Customization.

BUT HO HO say the developers (in one of the trailer vids or whatnot, can't be bothered to look for it now) we HAVE customization! You can wear different armor that affect your stats and ho ho ho all the possibilities!!!111oneoneone

Sorry to brake it to ya fellaz, but you can't have a game with armor stats customization + feats and linear progression(!) and compare it to a game that has armor stat customization, feats, multiclassing with 10+classes + prestige classes, FRIGGIN SKILL POINTS(!).

Before someone gets smart: Yes, I know they said they don't want to release a game with too many classes and want to focus on making the current classes more interesting and well implemented. Well, they're not, sorry to say. I can't help but feel I'm identical to any other wizard at my level, there's nothing really making my character original, and that in a game that has D&D even in the title alone, for me, unacceptable.
  • top8top8 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel like none of you guys actually play DnD 4e. This is nothing like it at all aside from the names. Or if this is like your 4e campaigns I feel sorry for you. You should get some better DMs.
  • angusitoangusito Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    top8 wrote: »
    I feel like none of you guys actually play DnD 4e. This is nothing like it at all aside from the names. Or if this is like your 4e campaigns I feel sorry for you. You should get some better DMs.
    4e suck, too vainilla, you right, i dont played 4e, i still freezed in 2d because for me was the best rule set but like the boy said this game is nothing like nwn
  • bigbigdarklingbigbigdarkling Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello -

This game should not have (dungeons and dragons) in its title or description in any way shape or form - references to neverwinter or any faerun material is a horrible thing to do to the genre

The only thing ive seen that is even remotely D&D besides the setting - is the initial stats - which of course also are pointless.

Dungeons and dragons has been stained by this horrible game forever.

on a positive note ...no wait sorry no.
  • jimbobslimbobjimbobslimbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although I have been a fan of the old-school D&D games such as Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, I found this to be a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, I love the old character generation system and have spent many hours over at the NWN2 Build Database making characters for use in the game. However, at least this way you can jump right in without the need to sit down for an hour and plan everything out in detail.

Embrace the change my friends! I am sure it will only get better with time.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dungeons and dragons has been stained by this horrible game forever.

There's not enough eyeroll in the universe to properly respond to this.... :rolleyes:

People act like there's never been an action-combat game released under the D&D name. How about the Baldur's Gate games on PS2 & XBox? There's been plenty of different games released under the D&D name, and the existance of "D&D" has continued just fine.

And yeah, I say this as someone who's played D&D since the Basic "blue book" era, through AD&D 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate (both kinds), DDO......
  • randethcorinthrandethcorinth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you want more of the tabletop "feel" of old school D&D then you want D&D Online. Neverwinter took the 4e rules (which were already modeled after MMO playstyles) and "loosely" converted them to an MMO. There is no way to perfectly model one to the other. Each has strengths and weaknesses. You shouldn't try to fit all of one into the other. It won't work.

I think that Neverwinter did a very good job of capturing the "feel" of playing a D&D game in an MMO setting. It won't make me stop my weekly tabletop game, but does give me some of that excitement in a flashy Hi-Def package. :)
  • brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are quite mistaken. I have played since Basic, through 2nd, 3rd and 3.5. This is classic Cryptic Studios buying intellectual property, then throwing out the game systems that it is founded on. They did the EXACT same thing with Champions Online, buying outright the IP and then abandoning the game it is founded on.

This game has, in no particular order, no variation in controls to let you optimize for your style of game play, no ability to make a character that is unique to you, no skill allocation and expects the community to GIVE it most of the content it runs while at the same time DEMANDING that property rights be maintained on their part.

There have been D&D games throughout the history of computer gaming, and, aside from graphics, this is the worst I have seen in the last fifteen years. A blatant impersonation of, and attempt to exploit, an earlier sucessful game while providing none of the value that caused the first and second games to thrive.
    +1 Agree.
    cigaran wrote: »
    Finally - check out Foundry. It's the single greatest asset this game has to offer. It lets you be a Dungeon Master to thousands of people, in full graphic glory. If you can't make the game feel D&D after designing your very own adventure for it, then you aren't trying very hard. Hats off to some of the folks who've made amazing adventures already.
    I'd agree, foundry is the game's best asset. However, that being true... there won't be any players around to play the foundry quests when people finally realize this.
    I think the real complaint here is that 4th edition sucks. And how can you not say the original NWN games were not translated as well as this game? If anything NWN is a literal translation strait from the table top version.
    +1 Agree.
    If you want more of the tabletop "feel" of old school D&D then you want D&D Online. Neverwinter took the 4e rules (which were already modeled after MMO playstyles) and "loosely" converted them to an MMO. There is no way to perfectly model one to the other. Each has strengths and weaknesses. You shouldn't try to fit all of one into the other. It won't work.
    Which was clearly a bad choice. I don't believe anyone has asked the question "why?" They could of modeled the game after any ruleset. There's no stone tablet anywhere saying 4e was the only choice they had. - so clearly they underestimated what people were wanting in a D&D game. But then again, I'll defer back to my first quote in this and lean towards Chrystoph's assessment.
  • kyzerukyzeru Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The main thing I'm not agreeing with in the thread is people saying that it's "misleading" to have Dungeons & Dragons in the title.

To keep it short, I don't find it misleading because it's the setting for me that makes it D&D. This is The Forgotten Realms, and I'm instantly down to play anything Forgotten Realms. I do agree that I was set to play something that was a little more D&D style. But I, personally, am not disappointed. I don't like 4th ed, but even in an MMO I'm dead set on storylines. I love the story thus far (I'm only level 25) and overall I'm enjoying the game.

I feel that there's a huge lack of variety in terms of visuals with gear, weapons, etc. I also feel like they left out some core things that have upset me (bows, for example, and the fact that I as a cleric don't have the option of a mace or morningstar). But that said, I feel that the idea behind the whole D&D bit in the title is not only to draw people to the game, but because of the setting of the game. This IS The Forgotten Realms. You have The Beggar's Nest, Blacklake, etc.

Personally I'm loving it. There are a few things that I could gripe about, but the combat-style, The Foundry & the story line are overriding all of those things for me. It saddens me that others don't quite feel the same way, but to each their own.
  • hokonosohokonoso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    shinoryuu wrote: »
    The game is good. The combat system great. The foundry one of the best features ever. But where is the D&D.

Locked weapons and armor. I'm a dwarf great weapon fighter you wont let me wear full plate and no ax I'm a dwarf you never see a dwarf with a great-sword. D&D was always about choice but where is it here you should be able to wield a dagger as a great weapon fighter wear plate as a mage (yes it would be silly and never work) where is my studded leather, scale mail, splint mail.

Where is the environment of D&D i can run down hallways unafraid. I hope this is because I'm lower level but I haven't seen a single trap yet and all our class skills (Dungeoneering, Arcana, Religion, ect.) are just for getting crafting materials. Nothing is threatening as I can drip feed myself potions, at most in D&D you had 2 (mainly casue they were not that useful) not 15 and that's just from looting.

This game make me want to play a good D&D mmo sadly that is more of what D&D online offers than Neverwinter. It's not that Neverwinter is bad, it's a great game with wonderful combat and user created content just not a D&D game.

I hope this will be taken as a criticism that can be fixed and not as someone just whining. Hopefully this game will get better with time and it can become the game i wanted.

if you want pure dnd you have to play DDO since it is 100% group game, this game here is for the solo player, i mean you can do 1-60 get max pvp gear and never once join a group... this game is for the rest of us who dont want to waste time looking for people to play with. don't get me wrong, i love DDO but i beat that horse for too many years already, too much effort to keep up with friends/guilds in that game, much harder to log in for 30m-1hr and accomplish something, no i much rather this playstyle tyvm.

p.s. ive died to a trap, so they are there and they are deadly, just lvl up.
    What is democrazy? It is a government in which the ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens.
    --Nom Anor
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although I have been a fan of the old-school D&D games such as Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, I found this to be a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, I love the old character generation system and have spent many hours over at the NWN2 Build Database making characters for use in the game. However, at least this way you can jump right in without the need to sit down for an hour and plan everything out in detail.

Embrace the change my friends! I am sure it will only get better with time.

A large number of people will see this as a negative thing. Lack of detail in character development is exactly the root of the issue behind this thread, when you really get down to it. Again, its like 3-d diablo .... pick your pre-rolled toon and go smash things, details and customization are a distraction from the killing! The entire concept of RPG has been removed, perhaps this is why its just called MMO now instead of MMORPG.
  • wormgaswormgas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Complaining about a video game because it's not similar with pen and paper is like complaining about fishes for not climbing trees.
    That's a fact!
  • sableshrikesableshrike Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For everyone moaning about the weapons thing, realize that this game's still in Beta.

I, for one, am quite happy they're focusing on server stability and getting the basic framework for classes and combat in.

NOT WEAPON SKINS. Which is what GW2 is basically doing. Their game is borked all to heck, and they focus on fashion...

Say what you want about Cryptic, but there's a reason I played their baby City of Heroes for seven years. They pay attention to what makes a game actually enjoyable.

Not the fluff <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but the game itself. Is combat fun? Are these rules just getting in the way of having fun? How can we push the envelope, or at least do this MMO thing better than anyone else has?

So far I'd say they've succeeded. This's the first **** MMO I've given a toss about since NCSoft gutted City of Heroes.

It'll get better and better, but be realistic. We're not even out of Beta yet.

There're slightly more important things on their plates than adding in weapon skin variations (which's all an axe, club, et cetera will probably be due to ease of balance that way.)
  • brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wormgas wrote: »
    Complaining about a video game because it's not similar with pen and paper is like complaining about fishes for not climbing trees.
    Actually that's not an accurate comparison. One compares similarities while the fish example you're comparing actions/abilities.

A fair comparison would be expecting a fish to taste like fish, not taste like chicken.
    In this case, we ordered the fish on the menu; but it tastes like chicken. ;)
    edited May 2013
    brakkish1 wrote: »
    Actually that's not an accurate comparison. One compares similarities while the fish example you're comparing actions/abilities.

A fair comparison would be expecting a fish to taste like fish, not taste like chicken.

Your fault for expecting a video game to taste like the pen and paper experience, which will never happen in a massively multiplayer online environment.

Cut out for a video game? Yes.

Cut out for an MMORPG? No.
    That's a fact!
  • foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    brakkish1 wrote: »

Correct, so remember folks, if you're gonna make comparisons, make correct comparisons! :D

4th Ed tries too hard to be a video game instead of a pnp game.4
    edited May 2013
    Correct, so remember folks, if you're gonna make comparisons, make correct comparisons! :D
    4th Ed tries too hard to be a video game instead of a pnp game.4

No. People should be free to express their thoughts even if they are wrong as soon as they realize that they are wrong and correct them afterwards. I did a mistake and I learned.

So the problem is the 4th Ed or the video game?
    That's a fact!
  • sableshrikesableshrike Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is people expecting this to be based off of 3.5E, which WotC has no interest in licensing out to anyone or pushing anymore.

"Why, back in my day.... !" Does this argument sound familiar?

Just let the **** game be what it IS.
  • gama205gama205 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your fault for expecting a video game to taste like the pen and paper experience, which will never happen in a massively multiplayer online environment.

Cut out for a video game? Yes.

Cut out for an MMORPG? No.

Except there have been multiple video games that have the pen and paper experience. I'll agree no MMOs, but how is it the player's fault for believe a company will deliver on what it promises?
    edited May 2013
    The problem is people expecting this to be based off of 3.5E, which WotC has no interest in licensing out to anyone or pushing anymore.

"Why, back in my day.... !" Does this argument sound familiar?

Just let the **** game be what it IS.

I saw a comment above me mentioning that (among other things) the character creation is not able to provide you with a character that is unique to you.

So, the problem in that case is that a by definition limited implementation cannot match with my conceptual expectations?

Are we serious or just whining for the sake of whining here?
    gama205 wrote: »
    Except there have been multiple video games that have the pen and paper experience. I'll agree no MMOs, but how is it the player's fault for believe a company will deliver on what it promises?

If they promised a true pen and paper experience and failed to do so then by all means, grab the forks and I'll bring the torches.
    That's a fact!
  • afestisafestis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dont really care about the p&p rules, as long as its fun and i can get into the story im in.
    Its D&D because they use the lore, and thats fine by me. I rather have a enjoyable game and combat is fun.

Now the customisation could be better.. Every mail armor looks the same for allmost 10 levels, Need more variation.
  • seveclasevecla Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I saw a comment above me mentioning that (among other things) the character creation is not able to provide you with a character that is unique to you.

So, the problem in that case is that a by definition limited implementation cannot match with my conceptual expectations?

Are we serious or just whining for the sake of whining here?

If they promised a true pen and paper experience and failed to do so then by all means, grab the forks and I'll bring the torches.

Agreed 100%. I like what I've seen so far -- it's not what I played as a kid in my parents' basement, but neither is what kids now are playing in their parents' basements. I'd like more individualization of characters, but I can't see that happening for obvious reasons. The designers had to work within limitations and seem to have done a good job.
  • benjaminmsbenjaminms Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cronabb wrote: »
    lol so many fat and ugly D&D nerds...go back to your board game, you losers.

Hey look! A troll! Nothing to see here people... let me find the report button, so someone can slay this crabb-troll.

Anyway. Yeah, it feels kinda different. If they had named it just D&D, it could be *slightly* acceptable. But it nowhere near captures the feel of Neverwinter in NWN 1 and 2 for me. Of course, you've got that vulcan eruption, but even then... Blacklake doesn't feel like Blacklake, etc.
    It's just... eww.
    nezerol_6601.jpg
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One thing this thread has taught me is that there is a subset of people that will just simply never be happy... ever. Misery is ingrained in their DNA. (oh and it appears there are a lot of people that really have no idea what D&D is really about, have never played it, and are just jumping on the bandwagon)
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    top8 wrote: »

I don't think most of them have played 4e enough to judge the system. A good DM could make great use of 4e because of it's flexibility. The monster builder in that Adventure Tools program was awesome.

In 4e you could: Set or disarm traps as a trickster rogue. Lead armies on the battlefield as a warlord. Take on hordes of undead as a righteous cleric or paladin. Defend the natural world against aberrant monsters from the Far Realm as a shape-shifting druid or psionic monk. Play a wizard tempted by the dark secrets of necromancy. All of these dynamic stories would intertwine, conflicts between characters would arise, only to be resolved as a greater evil might surface.

You get what you put into 4e, if you just bought a player handbook, monster manual 1, and a DM guide, then sat down with your friends and expected instant gratification like you would get out of an MMO, well, you was probably disappointed. Spend a couple of hundred dollars on the books, read them every single day for a year or so, take some time to design custom world maps, write up some plots, download pymapper, design custom dungeon tiles, make some dungeons, customize some monsters with Adventure Tools, and I think you'll find this system offers a lot more than the previous versions of D&D ever did.

4e is not for casual players or players blinded by nostalgia. It's not for people who order a re-release of older iterations, never touch them, and flaunt them online pretending they are old-school. It is for creative people looking to innovate their tabletop experience. The people who like 4e are typically the ones who felt too constrained by the older systems and have designed their own systems. 4e is not for people who want to have adventures spoon-fed to them through some magazine subscription. Not for people who think the first time they play they'll have any understanding of the complexities of the system just because they played Baldurs Gate several years ago or watched their older brother play 3.5e or whatever.

If you like the older editions go play them, but thanks to people griping about 4e so long we're being handed yet another version of D&D which is incredibly dumbed down and made to play like WOW, and WotC will no longer be providing any content for 4e which I personally invested hundreds of dollars and countless hours in. Hope you like that garbage they call D&D Next. I've playtested it, and it's terribad. Back to the old days when the Wizard's buddies were nothing but a heal bot, lockpick, and meat shield.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pavlov8pavlov8 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am also going to say that, in no point during the game did I feel that I was playing a D & D game. The world does not even feel like it's in the forgotten realms setting. Don't get me wrong. The game is still enjoyable, but I feel the D & D license is wasted on this game.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pavlov8 wrote: »
    I am also going to say that, in no point during the game did I feel that I was playing a D & D game. The world does not even feel like it's in the forgotten realms setting. Don't get me wrong. The game is still enjoyable, but I feel the D & D license is wasted on this game.

I completely agree, sadly. There are so many elements of D&D which are near impossible to replicate in an online game, and I don't think the developers even have an idea what those elements are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^^^^ +1
    That was the case for any of the versions though.... a human DM and a good group with a variety of books and resources and some creativity can bend and adapt even a broken rule set (whichever you prefer, all of the editions have flaws) into an amazing experience.

However wizards don't need buddies. The summoned demon is a meat shield, knock the lock, and if you need healing, you did not disintegrate fast enough :P
  • mightyqu1nnmightyqu1nn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    shinoryuu wrote: »
    The game is good. The combat system great. The foundry one of the best features ever. But where is the D&D.

Locked weapons and armor. I'm a dwarf great weapon fighter you wont let me wear full plate and no ax I'm a dwarf you never see a dwarf with a great-sword. D&D was always about choice but where is it here you should be able to wield a dagger as a great weapon fighter wear plate as a mage (yes it would be silly and never work) where is my studded leather, scale mail, splint mail.

Where is the environment of D&D i can run down hallways unafraid. I hope this is because I'm lower level but I haven't seen a single trap yet and all our class skills (Dungeoneering, Arcana, Religion, ect.) are just for getting crafting materials. Nothing is threatening as I can drip feed myself potions, at most in D&D you had 2 (mainly casue they were not that useful) not 15 and that's just from looting.

This game make me want to play a good D&D mmo sadly that is more of what D&D online offers than Neverwinter. It's not that Neverwinter is bad, it's a great game with wonderful combat and user created content just not a D&D game.

I hope this will be taken as a criticism that can be fixed and not as someone just whining. Hopefully this game will get better with time and it can become the game i wanted.

I played basic (in the little blue box)and AD&D waaayyy back ('79) in the day all the way up through 3.5 and while I'm not a huge fan of the 4th edition ruleset in a pen and paper setting it seems to have translated well to a graphically based game.

While it doesn't necessarily feel like some of the marathon campaigns from back when, It does feel to me like I could set up a weekly game with friends. The Foundry is a tool I am extremely interested in trying out.

Other D&D pc games I have played, (I'm fairly certain I've played most if not all of them) have lacked something as far as trying to capture that feeling of sitting around a table with 4 or 5 friends and diving in for a long session. This I feel like has the potential to be just that.
    Do not interfere in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup...