Install Arc
Options

Am I the only one who is blown away?

Comments

• Options
    iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    vatasha wrote: »
    Right now in the beta the game is really fun and the people are fairly nice. However to early to tell. The one big factor that no company can control is the player base.

Right now most of the player base are people that payed money for an early access .It is reasonable that the community is currently nice but I really doubt that this will be the case after 1000000 random people jump into the game today..
    I expect whining, cursing and a big influx of 12 year old kids yelling at the game chat/..
  • Options
    sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    some people will be only be happy when they get FREE to play with all meaning!.Means no buying anything,no auction house,no item shop,no anything.Like download game from Pirate Bay.They just dont get it that game live from donators money.Instead they complain this much they should thank them cause vary fun game they are playing,they play it cause of them (donators),those donators pays for them and they will never understand that cause they dont think about company,they dont play for good gameplay or to have fun,they just want to race with other people.Grown up
  • Options
    mighteousrexmighteousrex Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the OP. Too many Obama voters playing F2P...Companies need to make some cash or they cannot support their games. However, I will say I waited until open beta because I got burnt by game companies like ...<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, forgot their name...The original developers of Hellgate: London? :) If I like the gameplay and it plays, I will spend money in the shop. lol

Sidenote:

Think about your boss and get back to work. There are people out there that wish they had your job.

Obama voters! I thought I was the only one with that complaint. GW2 is full of them. What, if anything, can you tell me about this game? Does it do the old Neverwinter justice? I've been waiting for this one to come out. I'm a little concerned that it's owned by the Chinese. I know it was developed by Americans, but it's just unsettling. China has a reputation for making cheap garbage that you can buy a lot of. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the same.

It's D&D though. D&D Online doesn't do D&D justice. I hope this does, buddy.
  • Options
    kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it is mostly children who think that MMOS just magically appear out of thin air and doesn't cost any money or investment by real human beings who also need to pay their bills and require this thing called a 'salary'.

No working adult would complain about it because they know how real world works.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mightymoosemightymoose Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    antonislak wrote: »
    Ok the economic model pw has chosen for this game will cause endless debate... its not like POE or LOL, its a new term p2w /or/ grind forever. Wait till the new players (like me) enter today... u havent seen a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> yet.. u think this is negativity? u don't know what negativity is... wait untill ppl drop their epic lockboxes and pay a visit to the forums tomorrow and c what happens.. .

Well you can thank Turbine for the lockbox idea. I play both Turbine and PW games. The first time I've seen lockboxes was around Nov/Dec 2011 where you had to actually buy the key with TP (Turbines cash shop currency) in order to open the lockbox you get as loot in game (LOTRO). Then in Jan 2012, STO introduced the lockboxes.

Anyways, as people say, they are optional. Just sell them if you can or throw them away if you can't.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well you can thank Turbine for the lockbox idea. I play both Turbine and PW games. The first time I've seen lockboxes was around Nov/Dec 2011 where you had to actually buy the key with TP (Turbines cash shop currency) in order to open the lockbox you get as loot in game (LOTRO). Then in Jan 2012, STO introduced the lockboxes.

Anyways, as people say, they are optional. Just sell them if you can or throw them away if you can't.

This is actually very true. I haven't talked about LOTRO in these forums since most people don't play this game but since I am a big fun of it I should also add that the ftp model of neverwinter is almost identical to that of lotro. In lotro it works but the end gear in that game is BoA and can't be traded in the AH. Also lotro is an open world game and a huge one at that. Going from level 1 to 85 takes months and that seems not to be the case with neverwinter. As for the lootboxes the keys for these can be bought in the store but can also drop in game(I have plenty of these) so it is not exactly the same as in neverwinter..
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Guys, just focus on having fun and don't mind the griefers. The game is awesome.

The microtransaction system is the way to go. I think that the Lockbox system is cool.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    at current exchange rates it takes two days of cap ad farming to buy one key. that's assuming you use your diamonds for NOTHING ELSE. not scrolls, not health stones, not buying or selling anything on the auction house, etc.

And is that effort unreasonable? I mean, what's the point of currency if it doesn't have an opportunity cost?

Also the key cost like 1.25, you can buy 8 for 10 euros if you want.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    As for the lootboxes the keys for these can be bought in the store but can also drop in game(I have plenty of these) so it is not exactly the same as in neverwinter..

They're rare though. I've never gotten a key myself but I don't play much anymore. Also, in order to buy things from the LOTRO store, you basically need to use real money since there's no way to exchange in-game currency for cash shop currency the way you can in PW. You can earn a little bit of tp (cash shop currency) from deeds and stuff, but you'll end up spending what little you get buying up adventure packs (basically buying content since most of the content in LOTRO are locked and requires you to buy them with tp). LOTRO is more like a try for free game, then becomes a pay to play game if you want to really experience all the content at the higher levels.

(Oh actually I do have 3 keys from my anniversary gift, but that's it.)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    They're rare though. I've never gotten a key myself but I don't play much anymore. Also, in order to buy things from the LOTRO store, you basically need to use real money since there's no way to exchange in-game currency for cash shop currency the way you can in PW. You can earn a little bit of tp (cash shop currency) from deeds and stuff, but you'll end up spending what little you get buying up adventure packs (basically buying content since most of the content in LOTRO are locked and requires you to buy them with tp). LOTRO is more like a try for free game, then becomes a pay to play game if you want to really experience all the content at the higher levels.

(Oh actually I do have 3 keys from my anniversary gift, but that's it.)

This is actually not true man. I have only bought one area and one expansion with real money in lotro and I currently have 2 characters at level 85. The rest I obtained with tp that I got from deeds (far from few trust me). The model is actually the same
    with that of neverwinter in every aspect except for the fact that the two games are not really comparable in terms of depth, game world and value for money. I mean in lotro you maybe have to pay for one area or 2 if you don't want to grind tps but then you have 1000+ hours of gameplay untill you experience all the content. I really doubt that this will be the case in this game.
  • Options
    callmenoocallmenoo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am far for being blown away. Having no open world sucks, everything consists of instances. Everything, leveling, mobs, dungeons, mobs in dungeons are on easy mode. No real challenge. This sucks even more.
    but then you have 1000+ hours of gameplay untill you experience all the content. I really doubt that this will be the case in this game.

And in Lotro, WoW, Rift, EQ2 there is open world and challenging instances and raids. Everything here is too easy.
  • Options
    ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    By basic standards, this isn't a bad game... but next to every other game... its total ****.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This is actually not true man. I have only bought one area and one expansion with real money in lotro and I currently have 2 characters at level 85. The rest I obtained with tp that I got from deeds (far from few trust me). The model is actually the same
    with that of neverwinter in every aspect except for the fact that the two games are not really comparable in terms of depth, game world and value for money. I mean in lotro you maybe have to pay for one area or 2 if you don't want to grind tps but then you have 1000+ hours of gameplay untill you experience all the content. I really doubt that this will be the case in this game.

How is it not true? Do you have all the higher level content? You bought 1 area and 1 expansion with money, so you had to pay to play. And even then you mostly likely don't have all the higher level content. I like lotro, but it's basically free to try, then you have to pay to play at higher levels just as you had to. With PW games, you don't have to pay for content and can experience all content till level cap without spending a dime.
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Obama voters! I thought I was the only one with that complaint. GW2 is full of them. What, if anything, can you tell me about this game? Does it do the old Neverwinter justice? I've been waiting for this one to come out. I'm a little concerned that it's owned by the Chinese. I know it was developed by Americans, but it's just unsettling. China has a reputation for making cheap garbage that you can buy a lot of. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the same.

It's D&D though. D&D Online doesn't do D&D justice. I hope this does, buddy.

Im sure you voted for Bush, the same who single handedly ruined our country with his greed for oil..

Yeah, nuff salad perhaps.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    By basic standards, this isn't a bad game... but next to every other game... its total ****.

Next to every other game..well that is very vague.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    truwentruwen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is common practice amongst the consumers. "Wahh it sucks, it isn't what I expected, I could do better!" To them I say, go make your own game if you think you could 1, build a better game and 2, build a game where you can make the most revenue and still survive as a company in today's economy.

I like Neverwinter, but it is another of the same old same old. It's a little different than most other MMO's in that it is an action rpg more than a standard rpg. But it shares a lot of the same elements of other MMO's. I have too many already, and some I would like to invest more time in than others. With a full time job it's hard to keep up so I try and stick to one. It saves money and sanity.

As far as players go, there is too much whining. I figure that is all because most people have extremely high unreasonable expectations for what THEY want out of the game/game systems. Instead of accepting what the Devs provide for us, they cry and cry until something is handed to them on a silver platter. I call them "game snobs." All in all though, Neverwinter so far is a strong contender in the saturated MMO market. Additionally, Cryptic seems to listen to their customers more than other companies. So here's to a good launch and a long life.
  • Options
    stahlstormstahlstorm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Im only lvl 21 so far and this game yust keeps growing!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    How is it not true? Do you have all the high level content? You bought 1 area and 1 expansion with money, so you had to pay to play. And even then you mostly likely don't have all the high level content. I like lotro, but it's basically free to try, then you have to pay to play at higher levels just as you had to. With PW games, you don't have to pay for content and can experience all content till level cap without spending a dime.

oook I see you are getting a bit confused here. I am NOT a casual lotro player. I own and have completed all the areas of this game many times over the past year . I have spent about 30$ for a game that I have played for COUNTLESS hours. I could save even these 30$ if I was in the mood to grind more Tourbine points. Lotro currently has about 10 areas that you can buy and I only bought 2 of these (Rohan and Enedwaith). The rest I grinded in game.You are obviously not a lotro player so at least try not to spread things that are not true. You can experience all the areas without spending a dime if you want in lotro..No reason to argue about this since I'm the one that knows what I;'m talking about and you're the one that don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    truwen wrote: »
    But it shares a lot of the same elements of other MMO's.
    Like what? Having classes, parties and guilds? Having AH, mail and chat?

Compared with other mmorpgs, it is a a big disappointment.

No open world in a game released in 2013? It's that hard to design a game engine to allow players see each other and roam freely in a big game world? Everquest did that in 1999.

Difficulty level plainly sucks. Players not dying until well after level 40? Heroic level 60 instances are just a walk in the park, anybody and their grandma can do those in a few minutes. Doing heroic lvl 60 instances without guardian or cleric? Doing all content without tactics and with easily obtainable gear?

This game is as bad as DDO. But DDO was released 7 years ago.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    callmenoo wrote: »
    Like what? Having classes, parties and guilds? Having AH, mail and chat?

Compared with other mmorpgs, it is a a big disappointment.

No open world in a game released in 2013? It's that hard to design a game engine to allow players see each other and roam freely in a big game world? Everquest did that in 1999.

Difficulty level plainly sucks. Players not dying until well after level 40? Heroic level 60 instances are just a walk in the park, anybody and their grandma can do those in a few minutes. Doing heroic lvl 60 instances without guardian or cleric? Doing all content without tactics and with easily obtainable gear?

This game is as bad as DDO. But DDO was released 7 years ago.

Well that is great then isn't it? you haven't spent any money on the game and now you can move on to something you enjoy. Unless you are one of 'those' who like to linger on for months just to keep repeating yourself like a broken record.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sansin1303sansin1303 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    The game is incredible. Love the FTP model (even after I spend the $$ to become a founder). Having SO MUCH FUN.

Thank you, Cryptic/PW. Great stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    oook I see you are getting a bit confused here. I am NOT a casual lotro player. I own and have completed all the areas of this game many times over the past year . I have spent about 30$ for a game that I have played for COUNTLESS hours. I could save even these 30$ if I was in the mood to grind more Tourbine points. Lotro currently has about 10 areas that you can buy and I only bought 2 of these (Rohan and Enedwaith). The rest I grinded in game.You are obviously not a lotro player so at least try not to spread things that are not true. You can experience all the areas without spending a dime if you want in lotro..No reason to argue about this since I'm the one that knows what I;'m talking about and you're the one that don't.

Wow, I'm not sure why you're getting so upset, lol. People can't just have an honest discussion anymore? I'm a life-time sub vip and founder in LOTRO. I am not anti lotro. But even a hard core player like you have admitted to buying an adventure pack and an expansion with money. So even you had to end up paying to play.

And note you admitted you had to grind the rest. But in PW, you don't have to grind for cash shop credit to buy content cause the content is free. I personally know of no-one who owns all the packs and expansions in lotro who didn't spend real life money.

LOTRO is basically free to try, then pay to play if you want to experience all the higher level content. This applies to everyone I know, including you by your own admission.

I'm sure there are people who managed to grind tp to pay for all the content in the game, but that probably makes up less than 1% of the population. In PW, anyone can experience all the content without having to grind or pay for it because it's not locked.

I can't believe you're arguing with me on this.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kaltoum wrote: »
    Well that is great then isn't it? you haven't spent any money on the game and now you can move on to something you enjoy.
    Of course I will do just that. Why do you feel so enraged when someone isn't blown away by this game? A bad game is a bad game, you shouldn't feel insulted if someone calls the game for what it really is.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Wow, I'm not sure why you're getting so upset, lol. People can't just have an honest discussion anymore? I'm a life-time sub vip and founder in LOTRO. I am not anti lotro. But even a hard core player like you have admitted to buying an adventure pack and an expansion with money. So even you had to end up paying to play.

And note you admitted you had to grind the rest. But in PW, you don't have to grind for cash shop credit to buy content cause the content is free. I personally know of no-one who owns all the packs and expansions in lotro who didn't spend real life money.

LOTRO is basically free to try, then pay to play if you want to experience all the higher level content. This applies to everyone I know, including you by your own admission.

I'm sure there are people who managed to grind tp to pay for all the content in the game, but that probably makes up less than 1% of the population. In PW, anyone can experience all the content without having to grind or pay for it because it's not locked.

I can't believe you're arguing with me on this.

I'm arguing with you because you have clearly said in your previous posts that you can't experience all the areas in lotro without spending real money .Since you are an old lotro player (far older than me for sure) you should know that everything is grindable in lotro. Most VIP players don't really have a grasp on this but you should know that many FTP players haven't spent a dime in lotro (including 2 of my real life friends) and still have all the areas. All you need to do is level 3-4 characters and you have more TP than you'll ever need. You are ofcourse correct when you say that most players do eventually pay for the game but that's pretty different than saying that you HAVE to pay and than there is no way that you can play the game without spending money.(If you check your posts you'll see that you said that and that's why I misunderstood you). Anyway I think this was a enough of lotro talk in a NW forum for one day:D
  • Options
    mensur123mensur123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am downloading the game at the moment! cant wait to give it a go- paid for the 55.55
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    callmenoo wrote: »
    Of course I will do just that. Why do you feel so enraged when someone isn't blown away by this game? A bad game is a bad game, you shouldn't feel insulted if someone calls the game for what it really is.

I would like to know how you can tell i am enraged from what i wrote? i am actually sipping on a glass of whine laid back in my chair while typing this.

Yes i know you told us how bad this game is but i am just curious how many times are you going to tell us that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    az3ll3az3ll3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    I will wait to play until max level before saying if, imho, the game is bad or good. I dunno yet how I feel about everything being instanced, but the possibility to farm AD to eventually exchange for Zen is fine by me! Sure it takes time but we are talking about FREE stuff from the store! The option is there and that is great, in the following months the economy will shape up. The 16 slots bank is a bit harsh but since crafting mats gets their own inventory...

I was expecting restrictions from a F2P game so I am not really surprised, we even get full access for races and classes! Is the content huge enough to have the game keep it's players in the dreaded 4-6 months? We'll see. F2P games needs buying customers to survive so they need to create a... need! Most players say they don't have the time to get stuff for free, full job, family etc. The truth is, they do have the time... over time! But they want it now! So either buy from store or grind your free stuff.

As long as end game gear don't require you to buy to win... I'm fine with grinding AD for Zen even if I cannot play hours upon hours each day :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    triddlingtriddling Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree OP. This game is amazing, completely exceeds my expectations not just of this game, but MMORPGs in general.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'm arguing with you because you have clearly said in your previous posts that you can't experience all the areas in lotro without spending real money .Since you are an old lotro player (far older than me for sure) you should know that everything is grindable in lotro. Most VIP players don't really have a grasp on this but you should know that many FTP players haven't spent a dime in lotro (including 2 of my real life friends) and still have all the areas. All you need to do is level 3-4 characters and you have more TP than you'll ever need. You are ofcourse correct when you say that most players do eventually pay for the game but that's pretty different than saying that you HAVE to pay and than there is no way that you can play the game without spending money.(If you check your posts you'll see that you said that and that's why I misunderstood you). Anyway I think this was a enough of lotro talk in a NW forum for one day:D

Yeah everything is grindable, but noone I know is crazy enough to do it. If you're willing to spend 1000s of hours to grind for tp to buy all packs and expansions, then good for you, but that doesn't really sound like free to me. That sounds like work like sh*t to play.

I went back to my old post and this is what I said : "LOTRO is more like a try for free game, then becomes a pay to play game if you want to really experience all the content at the higher levels."

I see nothing wrong with what I said. I said its "more like*. I think its a pretty good description. I would say over 99% of the population would fit that description.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    az3ll3 wrote: »
    As long as end game gear don't require you to buy to win...

There's no endgame, just some dungeons that are very easy.