What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I the only one who is blown away?

124»

Comments

• norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The graphics are amazing.

The class/race names and places are sort of D&D ish but it stops there, which is going to lead to some negativity from the D&D crowd. If you are going to make a D&D game, make one... this is not it and while I like this game for what it IS, applying that label gives expectations and those expectations are not met here (multi-class?! skills? choice of feats? prestige classes? d8 vs d200 health? d8 vs d50 damage? negative stats offset positives for racial choice? I could go on all day about the dumbed down "D&D" issues).

Take away the expectations of the D&D crowd though, and its a nice game so far. Leveling up isnt a grind, its as fast or slow as you want it to be. Player made content is a great idea if people will use it to make good stuff. The controls are simple, its almost a console game type interface. I hate the always mouse-look, that needs to be an option, and is my biggest complaint so far. (Unless I missed the option to kill that?).

The only other complaint I had was "rolling" a character is broken. If you reroll you will see it: the same 10 or so stat configurations over and over, as if they are fixed and it picks one of a subset of pre-rolled stats rather than roll each one. The inability to customize by picking what goes where also was weak: if I want a 10 int 20 con wizard, let me do it! Also the pre-spending of points on your "build' is confusing: it keeps saying I spent points but I have not, they were spent for me! I finally got to spend 1 point in 6 or 7 "spent" after leveling up multiple times. This is confusing and poorly done: only allocate spendable points and hide the rest as "free skills granted for level up" rather than "skills forced upon you by choosing for you what skill you bought".

All in all I give it a solid B+ so far (and that is GOOD for a BETA and again, most of my complaints so far are clunky interface issues) But anyone coming in with expectations that this is a rehash of DDO (by turbine) is going to give the game a F straight up, and that is going to be a source of negativity for the first year or so at a guess.
  • iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeah everything is grindable, but noone I know is crazy enough to do it. If you're willing to spend 1000s of hours to grind for tp to buy all packs and expansions, then good for you, but that doesn't really sound like free to me. That sounds like work like sh*t to play.

I went back to my old post and this is what I said : "LOTRO is more like a try for free game, then becomes a pay to play game if you want to really experience all the content at the higher levels."

I see nothing wrong with what I said. I said its "more like*. I think its a pretty good description. I would say over 99% of the population would fit that description.

You:It is "more like " a free to try and then BECOMES a pay to play . ANyway I'm starting to get the impression that you are either very young or that you are picturing this conversation as a battle you don't want to loose. Well I will retreat I guess?As I said enough lotro talk.
  • eliseren1tyeliseren1ty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    $1.99 Open beta special free to the first 100 clicks.

lnk-hero.png
    // here be dragons
    CRect HAMSTER; // darn near killed'em
    my $search_key = $something_else;
    foreach (keys %some_hash) {
    if ($_ eq $search_key) {
    do_something($_);
    }
    else();
    }
    locked by NullUserException
  • banicksbanicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2013
    I'm not really blown away no. It's the stereotypical F2P model which ruins the overall gaming experience and borderline neglects the founders, relegating them to having to purchase zen like the rest of the masses for items that in essence are digital and not worth a one off $30.

The questing is typical hack and slash, I suppose it would be great if you were completely into the lore of D&D. PvP is purely pathetic. But overall the F2P is what is bugging me the most, zen for bank slots? zen for this. zen for that. ADs for practically everything else - why even have gold/silver/copper?

As much as I would have loved for this to take over my life for upwards of a year or more, I fear ESO will outdo it in practically all aspects providing they don't go down the same buy everything to do anything creed Cryptic seem to be obsessed with. I don't see this retaining a large player base past 6 months.
    Oceanic Neverwinter Online Guild: http://19thbattalion.com/
  • mightymoosemightymoose Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You:It is "more like " a free to try and then BECOMES a pay to play . ANyway I'm starting to get the impression that you are either very young or that you are picturing this conversation as a battle you don't want to loose. Well I will retreat I guess?As I said enough lotro talk.

LOL, its in the *same* sentence. And if over 99% of the players end up paying to play (including yourself), then wouldn't that be a pretty good description?

Lemme make it a bit clearer ....

LOTRO is less like : free to play
    And more like : free to try then becomes play to play if you want to experience all the higher level content

Of the 100s of players I've come across, I don't know a single person who actually owns all the packs and expansions without spending money.
  • wifeaggro13wifeaggro13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2013
    adenhart wrote: »
    These forums seem to be filled with negativity... most of which is from spoiled entitled children complaining just to complain.

I'm blown away by the game, and not just the gameplay, but the F2P model they are using. I have played all the major F2P games, and without a doubt this has the least money gating of any thusfar. I would compare it to GW2, a game which you had to purchase at full price to gain access to.

People are actually complaining that lock boxes drop that you have to spend real money to open? The game gives you things you can OPTION to spend money on, and isn't necessary at all. Zone chat seems to be nonstop whining about a mount that costs $40 when you can buy a mount for next to no ingame currency.

Just stop projecting your ideas of how you want to play on us. Some of us are playing the game, spending money and having a blast. If you don't want to buy optional mounts and optional lock box keys then don't. Stop acting like we're ruining your gaming experience because we don't have a problem supporting the games we like.
    Well first off i do like the game, its very well done and enjoyable first run through lvling.But their price point is way off i mean way off. Keys 15 bucks for 10 on those chests ? Seriously thats one month of a premium sub for a mount that drops RNG of maybe 1 and 100 . the zen store is way over priced and there is really no clear gear progression so just about everything comes down to skins. I dont like F2P its a rip off . though there F2P model is much better then most they have not restricted playing content in anyway . the packs they offered are pretty over priced for a true F2P game . i would have preffered a B2P and a softer priced zen store.I am pretty sure any new Paragon paths classes and races will be completely over priced , id rather see them charge the money on the actuall new content thats created by the community and give some 10% to the creators then have them bilk the living lights out of people for keys and skins.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As far as I am concerned this is just the greatest MMO I have ever played and I've played most of them (yesh im that old :< ), Finaly a fantasy game thats better UO!
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wolfpaqd wrote: »
    If you had bother reading the posts, the complaint is that you can't discard them and you are forced to pick them up.

No one cares that they have optional keys & lockboxes. Tons of FTP games have them. Forcing you to waste inventory space with no way to get rid of them however is a huge deal.

No, I see many posts about the fact that the lockboxes drop but the keys never drop but instead must be purchased. In my opinion, it makes it worse that you can't trade or discard the boxes.

I don't have issue with buying keys and opening boxes. I've gotten some pretty nice stuff out of the 20 or so I have opened. I do think that they should allow us to put the lockboxes on the AH or give them to people though, just because it would make so many people happier about them.