test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Am I the only one who is blown away?

adenhartadenhart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
These forums seem to be filled with negativity... most of which is from spoiled entitled children complaining just to complain.

I'm blown away by the game, and not just the gameplay, but the F2P model they are using. I have played all the major F2P games, and without a doubt this has the least money gating of any thusfar. I would compare it to GW2, a game which you had to purchase at full price to gain access to.

People are actually complaining that lock boxes drop that you have to spend real money to open? The game gives you things you can OPTION to spend money on, and isn't necessary at all. Zone chat seems to be nonstop whining about a mount that costs $40 when you can buy a mount for next to no ingame currency.

Just stop projecting your ideas of how you want to play on us. Some of us are playing the game, spending money and having a blast. If you don't want to buy optional mounts and optional lock box keys then don't. Stop acting like we're ruining your gaming experience because we don't have a problem supporting the games we like.
Post edited by adenhart on

Comments

• kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Forums will always be filled with negativity. People enjoying the game are playing the game, not lurking the forums.

Unless you are at work and can't play at the moment, like myself.
  • adenhartadenhart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Forums will always be filled with negativity. People enjoying the game are playing the game, not lurking the forums.

I'm at work and still playing/enjoying the game (Crafting via Gateway!).
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013

Pretty much this.

I think the game is a blast, can't wait for tomorrow!
    Although I do foresee typical first day launch woes and server instability.
  • loynloyn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You sirs, are not alone!
  • hosteezhosteez Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not able to play the game till tomorrow since I'm not a founders member.... I have very excited for this game and have been following it very closely... I just hope that your not REQUIRED to spend real life money in order to be viable in the game....
  • raist31raist31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I agree, I dont get how people can gripe so much when it cost them nothing to play or download. Quit whining and PLAY the game. I can see the the notifying of things that arent working properly, but the whining gets old I mist agree. Its like an XBOX live community in here at times lol.

I for one really enjoy the game and think they have done a pretty good job on it, and lets not forget, it is still in beta lol.
  • adenhartadenhart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hosteez wrote: »
    I'm not able to play the game till tomorrow since I'm not a founders member.... I have very excited for this game and have been following it very closely... I just hope that your not REQUIRED to spend real life money in order to be viable in the game....

I've only played to level 25 or so, but thusfar there has been nothing that has required me to spend real life money. Most F2P games don't even let you access all races or classes without paying before you even get ingame, there's nothing like that in Neverwinter.

There are only 2 things I can see as a problem:

1. Bag space - not a problem at all at my level (25), but I can see once you get higher and have lots of runestones and enchantments of different levels room could get tight. One thing people forget to mention is crafting materials have their own inventory, and don't take up bag space. This helps a ton.
    2. Level 20 mount - if you don't blow a lot of money on kits, potions, crafting ect. you'll have about enough at level 20. If not you may go a few levels past level 20 before you can afford this (think WoW at launch, where many people didn't have nearly enough gold at level 40 to get their mount).
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    adenhart wrote: »
    I'm at work and still playing/enjoying the game (Crafting via Gateway!).

Likewise, although I wish it would work via iPad.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Cryptic hate machine shows up at every release, most folks who are loving the game are too busy playing it.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was hoping to be blown away, but havent found a reason to be. It is a themepark to the extreme. The world is all instanced, which I really dislike. There is nothing to explore. All zones have a singular path or maybe 2. The combat is fun-ish, but the classes are imbalanced. There is very little weapon and armor variety. Crafting is uber slow and very weird. The content is way too easy. You can chug a healing potion every 12 seconds. I havent died in 22 levels of play. There are some very important features missing that should be found in every MMO now like emotes, the ability to zoom the camera at any time, etc. So, yeah.
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I once was one of the few who browsed. Now, I am one of the post-at-work brigade (until I get in trouble for it at least)!
    edited April 2013
    I was hoping to be blown away, but havent found a reason to be. It is a themepark to the extreme. The world is all instanced, which I really dislike. There is nothing to explore. All zones have a singular path or maybe 2. The combat is fun-ish, but the classes are imbalanced. There is very little weapon and armor variety. Crafting is uber slow and very weird. The content is way too easy. You can chug a healing potion every 12 seconds. There are some very important features missing that should be found in every MMO now like emotes, the ability to zoom the camera at any time, etc. So, yeah.

I would wait until there is more user created content. There will be plenty of campaigns that provide exploration and non-linear challenging quest lines.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i really like the game, i only wished for more customization (skill as well as gear/lookwise) and for more a open world...and prettier character/face graphics...than i would be blown away, but im quiet happy with the game - not perfect, but very enjoyable 80ish %
  • mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would wait until there is more user created content. There will be plenty of campaigns that provide exploration and non-linear challenging quest lines.

I hope so, thats why Im going to stay. I just hope they dont use the Foundry as a reason to get lazy with Cryptic created contesnt.
  • mltdwnmltdwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    I havent died in 22 levels of play.

Oh that WILL change, around level 35ish? You start having to fight bosses in your underground adventures (the actual quests, not the dungeons) that require chugging a ton of potions before the combat, figuring out the best way to fight him, and then you'll still likely die. Best example I can give is there is a giant dire wolf you have to fight in the late 40s that pulls out something like 6 white wolves as you fight him (2 at a time) and each of those wolves can stun. So there is a real chance the wolves keep you perma-stunned while he swipes off half your health if you aren't on the ball. I got by him on the second try, but only because I pulled him and the first 2 wolves to the room before and worked through them there but it was still difficult trying to stay out of their ranged cone stun

Heck at one point I had to fight 2 regular ice golems that I was lucky I survived because of constant stuns and knock backs. Kinda hard to chug a healing potion when you are sitting there with a 5 second stun on you.

But yeah, after 40 when you start fighting large groups, your encounter abilities take off maybe a quarter to half a bubble (rather than half their health as a thief), the enemies all have high hitting ranged abilities, and the bosses bring in powerful adds thing start getting a lot harder. Heck the regular mobs now have started calling in a number of reinforcements when you fight them (Acolytes with their 4-5 nether realm worshippers and then summoning 4 guard when you attack anyone?).
  • jimthegrayjimthegray Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

ditto and true
    When we turn away from the darkness of
    our past to take comfort in our peaceful lives, we
    sometimes forget how dearly that peace was bought. But
    there is much worth remembering in the darkness...
  • wolfpaqdwolfpaqd Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    People are actually complaining that lock boxes drop that you have to spend real money to open?

Actually no, no one is complaining about that.

If you had bother reading the posts, the complaint is that you can't discard them and you are forced to pick them up.

No one cares that they have optional keys & lockboxes. Tons of FTP games have them. Forcing you to waste inventory space with no way to get rid of them however is a huge deal.
  • irithaeirithae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can't wait for tomorrow! I was only able to be a part of BW3 (Aggro Cleric ftw!) and I have been *dreaming* of the city since the moment the weekend ended. The world absolutely enchanted me, and while no, I haven't spent a lot of time playing all the computer games out there (7 years of WoW is my only other non-tabletop gaming experience), I was fascinated by the Neverwinter game mechanics.

My longterm interest in the game will have to wait to see how Cryptic's end-game content develops (and I'm willing to be *quite* patient about it), and how Foundry material for end-game plays out (again, very willing to be patient for those who are interested in Foundry work to learn & adapt to the tool)

For now?

Tomorrow can't come soon enough :D
  • coldfusion1122coldfusion1122 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm blown away by the game, and not just the gameplay, but the F2P model they are using. I have played all the major F2P games, and without a doubt this has the least money gating of any thusfar. I would compare it to GW2, a game which you had to purchase at full price to gain access to.

If you were to compare it to something it would be diablo 3 and its real money auction house
    Incoming white knights and fanboys claiming it's fine to have to grind for weeks and months to buy end game stuff and/or Basic cash shop items.

Now if they removed the cap on how many AD you can refine a day and the conversion rate wasn't already screwed up, it would make sense to compare it to Gw2. In gw2 you can buy anything in the cash shop by farming for 3-4 hours and in GW2 you don't need diamonds to use the auction house, respec or buy anything
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    These forums seem to be filled with negativity... most of which is from spoiled entitled children complaining just to complain.

People are actually complaining that lock boxes drop that you have to spend real money to open? The game gives you things you can OPTION to spend money on, and isn't necessary at all. Zone chat seems to be nonstop whining about a mount that costs $40 when you can buy a mount for next to no ingame currency.

Just stop projecting your ideas of how you want to play on us. Some of us are playing the game, spending money and having a blast. If you don't want to buy optional mounts and optional lock box keys then don't. Stop acting like we're ruining your gaming experience because we don't have a problem supporting the games we like.

you should be reserving judgement until you are 60

as with all mmorpg's, the levelling portion is just one part of the game.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The game play is very well done and I'm having a blast playing.

Some of the price model stuff is screwy though, but whatever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ordainedoneordainedone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Stop complainign about others complaining about things it's okay for someone to complain about. Stop feeling so entitled that you feel you have the right to tell others to stop doing something they feel entitled to do.

PS: There is already a thread up and running about this, where the white knights fight the evil "we don't want PWI to turn this is into a P2W" game going on. Feel more entitled to use the search function, or just actually look on the front page.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Stop complainign about others complaining about things it's okay for someone to complain about. Stop feeling so entitled that you feel you have the right to tell others to stop doing something they feel entitled to do.

PS: There is already a thread up and running about this, where the white knights fight the evil "we don't want PWI to turn this is into a P2W" game going on. Feel more entitled to use the search function, or just actually look on the front page.

So your answer is to complain about the complainers about people complaining?
  • rikevrikev Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The login screen looks nice.
    Hi, my name is Nigel. I'm your group's healer.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The people that like the game don't have as much time to post stuff on the forum since they are so stuck inside the game, therefore they don't get heard as much.
  • gothmogigothmogi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22
    edited April 2013
    I also wanted to say that I love this game.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

This game is nowhere near as polished as GW2 and is more expensive to boot. F2P does not mean cheap, and only the deluded use it as an excuse to justify the game's shortcomings.
  • xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Time will tell. Give it afew weeks/a month/month&1/2 and when it all settles down we can see where the game actually stands.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    This game is nowhere near as polished as GW2 and is more expensive to boot. F2P does not mean cheap, and only the deluded use it as an excuse to justify the game's shortcomings.

What are you talking about? Last time I checked GW2 launched as a B2P game...

No one forces you to spend 40€ on a Tier 3 mount or companion just like no one forces you to spend 2.000€ on a legendary weapon in GW2.
  • chazzakchazzak Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The REAL problem is that when anyone says anything negative at all about a game, people seem to call that 'whining' or 'complaining'. Apparently constructive criticism is either a relic of the past, or people think that any kind of criticism should include a full legalized explanation and outlining of a plan to set in-motion as a replacement.

If someone thinks it's bull**** that there are lock boxes that you have to buy keys for, then so what? It's their opinion, and they are just as entitled to it as you are yours. That is the only 'entitlement' I see here. Some people, myself included, might actually even AGREE with them.